Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Shadowbane E-book Release

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 16 Aug 2011 : 20:06:41
Apologies to those who already know this, but I've encountered a few folks who didn't, so I'm posting it again:

My next novel SHADOWBANE (slated for a September 6 release, if Amazon is to be believed) is an e-book only release. If you see it listed on Barnes and Noble or Amazon as "unavailable," you're probably looking at the Mass Market Paperback. There are no plans to produce such a thing at this time, though who knows in the future?

If you want to continue reading the story that my last book DOWNSHADOW began, then grab an e-reader and get ready, because Kalen Dren, Champion of a Dead God, is about to rock your fantasy world.

Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Forgotten-Realms-Novel-ebook/dp/B004ZZKRLS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313520560&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shadowbane-erik-scott-de-bie/1102955200

Here's the WotC product page about it (this says an October release date): http://wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/335130000

Cheers,
Erik Scott de Bie
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nbnmare Posted - 22 Apr 2012 : 22:44:44
I find the comments at the beginning of the thread, about e-books being easier to get hold of than paperback volumes for non-US residents, to be rather ironic.

Reason being, I just went on amazon.co.uk to buy Shadowbane for my brand new Kindle Touch, only to find they apparently doesn't sell any WotC e-books whatsoever. I then went to the Shadowbane page on the American amazon.com, only to be told to use the amazon.co.uk Kindle Store instead .
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Feb 2012 : 20:07:16
Related to Shadowbane:

In honor of Valentine's Day, here's a short bonus non-canonical Shadowbane story--what basically amounts to, if you ask Fayne, "Kalen/Myrin slash fiction." :)

http://erikscottdebie.com/2012/02/14/shadowbane-side-story-really-dont-do-that/

Cheers
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Jan 2012 : 06:17:04
Good for Bane! Ahem.

Carry on!

Cheers
Tamsar Posted - 23 Jan 2012 : 20:07:13
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:

Bane's Black Balls
Chapter 22 pg 17
Hey, at least they aren't blue.

Cheers

Beshaba's bad breath keeps them from being blue....

Whereas Auril's breath would definitely turn them blue.... :) Sorry couldn't resist it.
Alisttair Posted - 11 Jan 2012 : 11:15:21
quote:

quote:

Bane's Black Balls
Chapter 22 pg 17

Cheers

Beshaba's bad breath keeps them from being blue....
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 19:40:24
quote:

Bane's Black Balls
Chapter 22 pg 17

And on that note, anyone interested in discussing the novel or getting some extra insight about it, I suggest you check out the various Shadowbane discussion threads at the WotC bookclub.

Cheers
Alisttair Posted - 10 Jan 2012 : 18:15:53
Bane's Black Balls
Chapter 22 pg 17
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 20:00:10
I can't speak for WotC or give you a definitive answer, Caolin, but I'll do my best:
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I have a question for you Erik that I'm not sure you can answer but I will ask any ways. It concerns the pricing of eBooks that are traditionally released as hardcover with the $16+ pricing point. The last hardcover release by WoTC was Neverwinter: Neverwinter Saga, Book II but it is currently at a reduced price $9.99 Kindle and $13.97 HC. So right now I get the impression that WoTC will retain its premium price point for all eBooks that are also released as a hardcover. I'm curious if they are going to provide more content within those eBooks to justify the higher price? Because I'd hate to have to wait 6 months to a year longer in order to not feel like I was ripped off.
As far as I can tell, WotC is experimenting with ebook pricing and trying to find the right level to go with. I agree that they're a little high. I suspect the hardcover pricing is artificially high to give the hardcover a chance to actually sell (so that everyone doesn't immediately rush to buy it on kindle). The concept of the hardcover is sort of that the book is just more valuable, so the ebook would also be more valuable. The science on this hasn't been worked out, alas.

As for the expanded content, this is exactly what Shadowbane does: with an extra short story, lore about Luskan, monster writeups, and half a dozen future novel samples. I hope to see this trend continue.

quote:
On a lighter note, I am a third of the way through Shadowbane and I am loving every word. Rhett is such a good foil for Kalen and I am really enjoying his presence in the story so far.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Cheers
Caolin Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 19:36:04
I have a question for you Erik that I'm not sure you can answer but I will ask any ways. It concerns the pricing of eBooks that are traditionally released as hardcover with the $16+ pricing point. The last hardcover release by WoTC was Neverwinter: Neverwinter Saga, Book II but it is currently at a reduced price $9.99 Kindle and $13.97 HC. So right now I get the impression that WoTC will retain its premium price point for all eBooks that are also released as a hardcover. I'm curious if they are going to provide more content within those eBooks to justify the higher price? Because I'd hate to have to wait 6 months to a year longer in order to not feel like I was ripped off.

On a lighter note, I am a third of the way through Shadowbane and I am loving every word. Rhett is such a good foil for Kalen and I am really enjoying his presence in the story so far.
nexus99 Posted - 09 Jan 2012 : 11:05:23
Some general thoughts on eBooks:
1) I would really like to see the eBook version included with the purchase of a MMPB/TPB/Hard Cover etc.
2) DRM has got to go.
3) For those of us that actually collect the print versions of books to keep long term... we will have to invest in our own binding process. There are a plethora of companies online that will print and bind an eBook for you. You can go all facy with leather too if you want. Of course these is cost involved... but for those of us that are actual collectors we will pay the price to have a print and bound copy to dispaly with our other books.
Alisttair Posted - 04 Jan 2012 : 11:02:30
Chapter 14 right now.
More and more i get the feeling that Myrin (with her blue hair and painted blue lips) is somehow linked to Mystra in some way (the mortal shell of Midnight returned perhaps??) .... Time to keep reading...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 04:56:56
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

just went back through it. Are you talking about the Shar's teeth comment that does not get quite finished?
I can neither confirm nor deny.

But probably.

Cheers
scererar Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 00:36:43
quote:

By Bane's Blazing Balls!

No one seems to have caught the especially dirty one near the end of chapter 2. Oh well . . .

Cheers

just went back through it. Are you talking about the Shar's teeth comment that does not get quite finished?
Alisttair Posted - 31 Dec 2011 : 00:17:18
quote:

By Bane's Blazing Balls!

No one seems to have caught the especially dirty one near the end of chapter 2. Oh well . . .

Cheers

I actually noticed and enjoyed that one. I wanted to highlight it or something since i think u can do that with an ebook but wasnt sure how. Still new to the device and i didnt want to stop reading to play with it hehe. But now i know where to look to get it later :)
Tamsar Posted - 30 Dec 2011 : 22:27:08
Not that I have a kindle but reading this thread got me interested and it would appear that Shadowbane is not available in the UK either which I find incredibly weird as the paperback/hardbacks have always been released simultaneously with the US. Truly Bane's bollocks are blazing! I am toying with the idea of getting a kindle but I've been reticent as it feels redundant buying the same book twice, this situation with regards to realms novel availability or lack thereof in ebook format only makes me more disinclined to switch.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 30 Dec 2011 : 20:46:00
By Bane's Blazing Balls!

Cheers
Alisttair Posted - 30 Dec 2011 : 20:44:43
And on a side note, i downloaded each Candlekeep Compendium onto my ereader :)
Alisttair Posted - 30 Dec 2011 : 20:21:04
Well im at chapter 5 right now so here are my quick observations.
As always, you can tell Erik is a fan of the setting due to his attention to detail and realmslore, especially evident in the use of realmsian curses.
Having read the other Abyssal Plague novels, I get a tie in feel in this more than the other tie-in novels.
It feels like it could be a "Neverwinter" novel as well.
The ebook is amazingly handy (not an observation of the specific book, but it happens to be part of my first ebook experience).
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 27 Dec 2011 : 07:58:02
Woot!

I look forward to your feedback/review. Let me know if there are any questions.

Cheers
Alisttair Posted - 26 Dec 2011 : 03:34:45
My wife gave me an e-book for christmas this morning. About an hour after I purchased Shadowbane. Booya!!!
CylverSaber Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 21:17:29
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

quote:

And finally, if you are still hardcore against eBooks and still love those print novels, well gods bless ye. But the future doesn't look bright for your crowd.

Yeah, I figured as much-- I know I'm outdated and out of step with the mainstream. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll likely never get to read these books, as Wizards has little reason to put them out in print if, as seems likely, most of those opposed like you will eventually be won over. I'm content with being the oddball, though I certainly regret not being able to read these books.

Still, as much as you liked the various features on your first reading, I think I'm more curious to hear your reactions 2 months from now-- I'll be interested to hear how much you have read and how long you can sit with it for. To be honest, it probably won't change my mind, but I wonder if the concerns I laid out will crop up over time.

Well, I don't think you are out of the mainstream. I just can't see how print media will survive. It will most likely devolve into a niche market much like vinyl. I think it really depends on how prices move for eBooks. If prices come down you can kiss print goodbye. If publishers continue to be greedy and push prices higher print will linger. It will be interesting to see if the publishers even stick around. They might be making their own noose by pushing the format into digital. The time is soon coming where an author can easily write and produce their own eBook and sell it on Amazon or their own web page.

As for my reading experience, I have a habit of reading in short spurts. It's rare that I will sit for more than an hour to read. On the average I read for about 20-30 mins at a time. So I don't see getting fatigued with the electronic display. SO I can't really speak for the experience of marathon readers who will go hours at a time.

Ah, well, I think that does make a big difference. I've had no trouble abandoning print newspapers and magazines for digital versions, since individual articles take very little time to read (and nobody ever reads the newspaper cover to cover anyway). But with books... nothing I like more than sitting down for a night and reading through a third of a novel in one sitting. If I'm really engrossed, I'll finish even more. I finding reading in shorter bits diminishes the flow of the story for me.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 20:17:07
Completely understood, Caolin. I'll look forward to your feedback if/when you get to the novel.

I don't think the inflated price points are publishers being greedy--I think it's more owing to uncertainty as regards how to turn a profit. Publishers are still trying to figure out the right equilibrium of cost vs. sales numbers. Also, Amazon can tweak the price, so don't put too much blame on WotC or any other particular publisher. Personally, I think a mmpb-style novel should be priced around $2.99, no higher. I'm cool with a higher price for an expanded/enhanced ebook (which Shadowbane is, owing to a whole lot of extra pages of story, lore, samples, etc).

And again, don't give up on the hope of having an actual print copy of Shadowbane. Doing it as an e-book only is a big experiment. One never knows!

Cheers
Caolin Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 19:44:52
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

quote:

And finally, if you are still hardcore against eBooks and still love those print novels, well gods bless ye. But the future doesn't look bright for your crowd.

Yeah, I figured as much-- I know I'm outdated and out of step with the mainstream. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll likely never get to read these books, as Wizards has little reason to put them out in print if, as seems likely, most of those opposed like you will eventually be won over. I'm content with being the oddball, though I certainly regret not being able to read these books.

Still, as much as you liked the various features on your first reading, I think I'm more curious to hear your reactions 2 months from now-- I'll be interested to hear how much you have read and how long you can sit with it for. To be honest, it probably won't change my mind, but I wonder if the concerns I laid out will crop up over time.

Well, I don't think you are out of the mainstream. I just can't see how print media will survive. It will most likely devolve into a niche market much like vinyl. I think it really depends on how prices move for eBooks. If prices come down you can kiss print goodbye. If publishers continue to be greedy and push prices higher print will linger. It will be interesting to see if the publishers even stick around. They might be making their own noose by pushing the format into digital. The time is soon coming where an author can easily write and produce their own eBook and sell it on Amazon or their own web page.

As for my reading experience, I have a habit of reading in short spurts. It's rare that I will sit for more than an hour to read. On the average I read for about 20-30 mins at a time. So I don't see getting fatigued with the electronic display. SO I can't really speak for the experience of marathon readers who will go hours at a time.
CylverSaber Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 19:27:19
quote:

Caolin Posted - 15 Dec 2011 : 19:05:31
So I thought I would post an update on my eBook stance. I was given a Kindle Fire as a birthday/xmas gift a few days ago. My first impressions were not so good. In hindsight I attribute this to the fact that this is my first mobile device and I am not really used to them. It's actually a pretty slick device if you realize what it was built for. This is not an iPad but an eReader with tons of bells and whistles that work fairly well.

Anyways, I debated with myself over buying an eBook or not. In the end I decided I had to because somebody spent money on it, I need to use it or return it. So I broke down and bought Chosen of Nendawen, Book III. Sorry Erik, I've been waiting for this one for a long time, I'll get to Shadowbane next. :)

First off, I realized that I was saving money off the bat because the price is a bit lower than the paperback and I am saving on shipping. I still think the eBooks should be at least a dollar lower, but I can still digest them at the $6.39 price. Hardback eBooks (is there a more appropriate name for those?) still look like they will sell in the $15 range which I still find outrageous, so I will be waiting on a price drop for those novels. My argument that you can resell the paperbacks is starting to become moot. I tried to sell all 100+ of my paperback and hardback fantasy novels at several used book stores here in the SF Bay area and not one was interested.

As for my experience reading an eBook on the Kindle Fire. At first I was unhappy with it and again I will knock this up as me not being used to it. After two chapters though I have come to love the experience. It's so easy to book mark as many pages as you want and it is just as easy getting back to those pages. I can book mark the map page and easily jump back to it anytime I want to reference a location. You are given the ability to change the type spacing, font, borders, and background color. I think if I was stuck with the white background this would be a much different review.

To summarize, I have to say that this device blew away any notions of nostalgia in me over print books. Not that I ever had much nostalgia to begin with, but still I don't feel like I will miss them at all. My main gripe was the pricing which is still an issue for a lot of eBooks. Fortunately there are plenty of cheap eBooks for me to feast on. So if you are eBook curious I will say to jump in because the water is warm. If you are hesitant because of price, well jump in but don't buy those over priced eBooks. Stick with the $6 and under crowd. And finally, if you are still hardcore against eBooks and still love those print novels, well gods bless ye. But the future doesn't look bright for your crowd.

Cheers!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 15:26:50
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Unless WOTC decides to put this out as a hardcopy I won't be able to read it.
I understand, Entro. If you feel strongly about it, I recommend sharing your concerns with WotC (see the thread I linked above).

quote:
Can anyone tell me what state Luskan is in? Something I was really looking forward to was experiencing the city from the eyes of an author other than Salvatore.
It's pretty rough--a den of scum and villainy, run by gangs and rampant with disease, in need of a hero . . . which is exactly what it gets in my novel.

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I've posted my thoughts on this issue on the thread linked above.

Thanks Elaine! Your insight is welcome and much appreciated.

Cheers
ElaineCunningham Posted - 14 Dec 2011 : 12:31:31
quote:

Sadly, it's really not up to me, but up to the powers that be at WotC.

This is the official WotC thread about it (which I see CS has already posted to): http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/28209583/Open_letter_to_WoTC_regarding_eBooks?pg=1

I am still hopeful that we will indeed be seeing a paper copy eventually. It is extremely important that readers advocate for it, however, so if you want to see a paper copy, post in that thread.

Please don't give up on the book or the series.

Cheers

I've posted my thoughts on this issue on the thread linked above.
Entromancer Posted - 13 Dec 2011 : 23:53:38
Unless WOTC decides to put this out as a hardcopy I won't be able to read it. Can anyone tell me what state Luskan is in? Something I was really looking forward to was experiencing the city from the eyes of an author other than Salvatore.
CylverSaber Posted - 11 Dec 2011 : 20:52:21
I see what you're saying, but in those examples, the format of the media may have changed drastically, but the method of consumption hasn't very much; you can still listen to music coming out of a speaker just as your grandparents did. So the impact of those changes on the end user is less. With eBooks vs. regular books, everything has changed; you're now staring at a glowing screen (which, as I mentioned, has its own health risks), even the smallest e-readers are heavier than a paperback, even moderate damage to the e-reader may make it unusable (whereas it takes pretty much either burning, drowning, or putting a book through a shredder to make it unreadable), you're no longer turning actual pages, you now require some power source, and lending the book to a friend is a lot more difficult as many here have noted. I guess time (and sales) will tell whether all this matters to the next generation.
scererar Posted - 11 Dec 2011 : 20:36:57
valid point. People can and should like or dislike anything they feel the need to. My post was just providing my opinion (right or wrong). History and the evolution of technology is full of examples of one format or another coming online, working side by side of the older version, then eventually replacing the older version. records to cassettes, to cd's, to mp3's as one example. You can still get the older versions of your favorites, but not so much on newer content. Maybe one of the next permanent advances will be the removal of the physical paper format altogether for a digital version.

Again just my 2 coppers

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000