Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 First Forgotten Realms Book

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
AdamBridger Posted - 11 Aug 2011 : 16:58:26
What was your first Forgotten Realms novel that you remember reading or purchasing?

Mine was the Cleric Quintet by R. A. Salvatore that was listed in the Fantasy and Sci Fi Book Club catalogue. I read them, loved them, found the Drizzt Do-Urden books as a result and from there discovered the rest of the Realms.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
phranctoast Posted - 25 Aug 2011 : 16:36:49
Thousand Orcs.

Then I went back and read everything in order.
Faraer Posted - 25 Aug 2011 : 15:11:30
Spellfire, in 1990 or 1991. I was only distantly aware of the novel line at first, not yet regularly reading Dragon, but eager for more of what was in the Campaign Set -- it was like finding a treasury.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 25 Aug 2011 : 03:54:20
Mine was Streams of Silver. I loved the original cover art on it by Caldwell. This book also introduced me to my favorite character! :)
skychrome Posted - 21 Aug 2011 : 16:53:13
The Black Bouquet. Liked the cover and thought "give it a shot".
Hawkins Posted - 16 Aug 2011 : 16:38:58
quote:
Originally posted by Clad In Shadows

Streams Of Silver

Yes, my first FR book was the middle book of a trilogy.

That is okay. After reading Darkwalker on Moonshea, I actually ended up skipping Dark Wizards because my local library did not have a copy (there wasn't even a copy to special request it from another library in the same system). That made Darkwell a bit confusing at the beginning. To this day, I still haven't read it. I own all three, but still need to go back an re-read them (and read Dark Wizards for the first time). I should try to remember to do that after I am done re-reading the entire Shannara series.
Lady Shadowflame Posted - 16 Aug 2011 : 07:58:33
My first was Crystal Shard; found it in the high school library, enjoyed it... didn't know anything about the Realms back then.
And then I sort of forgot about it a few years, before finding more of those books and going 'oh, hey, more about that Drizzt guy, I liked him.'
They got me interested in other, less good-guy drow, so I started branching out, and then somehow along the way I wound up with loads of Realms books and a persistent fascination.
Clad In Shadows Posted - 15 Aug 2011 : 22:43:55
Streams Of Silver

Yes, my first FR book was the middle book of a trilogy. I ended up reading well into Legacy Of The Drow before I was able to track down a copy of The Crystal Shard to read. I've also read Song Of The Sauriels without having read the previous 2 books. Such are the trials of living in a tiny rural town in Newfoundland.

Moving to a city, and having access to the internet have largely negated that issue. But some of those early books are hard (and expensive) to find now.
Dennis Posted - 14 Aug 2011 : 15:10:20

In terms of book cover, the very first that captured my attention was Salvatore's Road of the Patriarch. It was quite impressive. (The blurb, on the other hand, is another story.)
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 14 Aug 2011 : 14:29:23
My first Realms book was Elfshadow, and reading that book, meeting the characters there, made me fall in love with the Realms. I knew then I had to read more by this amazing author, and that I had to make a character in my friend's campaign.
Brimstone Posted - 14 Aug 2011 : 12:29:59
Crystal Shard.
AdamBridger Posted - 14 Aug 2011 : 11:47:18
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Speaking of The Brotherhood of the Griffon series, I'm reconsidering to pick up where I left off. (I was discouraged by too much focus given to dragonborn at the middle part of Whisper of Venom)

I would definitely recommend finishing the series. The third book The Spectral Blaze focuses quite a bit on Jhesrhi as her loyalties are torn. The new young mages also feature more heavily as characters in the third book.
Dennis Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 18:05:34

Jhesrhi is one of my favorites. Her background is depressing. One would think that upon reaching adulthood she could have become a broken shell, or a blood-thirsty rouge. I like how she turned out to be: a level-headed wizard with great affinity to elemental magic.

Speaking of The Brotherhood of the Griffon series, I'm reconsidering to pick up where I left off. (I was discouraged by too much focus given to dragonborn at the middle part of Whisper of Venom)
AdamBridger Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 17:53:08
Also in The Brotherhood Of The Griffon Series there are strong supporting mage characters such as Jhesrhi and the newly recruited mages of The Brotherhood that offer a different perspective to the more combat oriented characters.
Dennis Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 17:28:03
quote:
Originally posted by AdamBridger

quote:

Many scribes here (I suppose) are aware of my aversion to fighter-centered novels. I sampled some before (not FR), and learned my lesson well.

What's your opinion on swordmages? They tend to strike a balance between magic and combat and can make for more interesting reading at times compared to pure combat.

They're okay, but they don't really interest me that much. Magic can do anything that swords are designed to accomplish, and a whole lot more. I make certain exceptions, though, depending primarily on the author, character development, setting, and association with some of my favorite characters. Just like Aoth, though strictly speaking he's not a swordmage. But, other than his impressive repertoire of spells, he also uses his sharp-ended staff as a regular weapon, and is deadly good with it.
AdamBridger Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 16:59:27
quote:

Many scribes here (I suppose) are aware of my aversion to fighter-centered novels. I sampled some before (not FR), and learned my lesson well.

What's your opinion on swordmages? They tend to strike a balance between magic and combat and can make for more interesting reading at times compared to pure combat.
AdamBridger Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 16:36:16
mitchellboeck you might also want to consider reading some of the Forgotten Realms anthologies from the Realms Of Series. This way you will be able to read around 8 short stories and through these you might find some characters or an authors writing style that interests you. From there you can check out their previous and future works.

Anyway I hope this has helped you, let me know how it goes.
Dennis Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 12:38:53
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

quote:

The very first FR material I saw (from a used bookstore) is The Crystal Shard. I didn't buy it, of course. But if with some cosmic intervention I did buy and read it, I don't think I'd be here in the 'Keep at all...

Why "of course"? Didn't you like the cover, the blurb, the reviews?

quote:
Originally posted by mitchellboeck

I havn't really gotten into any other FR books but mostly because I don't know what other ones are good. The only other one I have read is the one where it explains Elminster's beginning (Which was an okay book). Any suggestions on what I should read next?

I suggest you check the thread "Experienced help for recommending FR Novels" in the Novels Section. As for my own recommendation: The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers and The Twilight War trilogy by Paul S. Kemp.
AdamBridger Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 12:23:30
quote:
Originally posted by mitchellboeck

I havn't really gotten into any other FR books but mostly because I don't know what other ones are good. The only other one I have read is the one where it explains Elminster's beginning (Which was an okay book). Any suggestions on what I should read next?

You might want to consider some of the Forgotten Realms Omnisbus's are they will come as a complete trilogy and at a much discounted price compared purchasing individually. Two I would highly recommend are;

Richard Lee Byers Year of Rogue Dragons Omnibus
Paul S. Kemp Erevis Cale Omnibus
Thieran Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 12:04:26
quote:

The very first FR material I saw (from a used bookstore) is The Crystal Shard. I didn't buy it, of course. But if with some cosmic intervention I did buy and read it, I don't think I'd be here in the 'Keep at all...

Why "of course"? Didn't you like the cover, the blurb, the reviews?
Dennis Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 04:43:46

The Sage Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 04:16:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

My first exposure to the Realms, though, was FR1-Waterdeep & The North (the details of which are easily read in the introduction to CITY OF SPLENDORS, the 1994 boxed set still available as PDF from WotC).

Steven

Pretty sure that that one has never been on WotC's list of free downloads... I have it, of course, in print and pdf -- I made a point of buying that pdf very early on.

No, I don't think Waterdeep & The North has never been made available as a free legal download from Wizards.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Aug 2011 : 03:36:49
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

My first exposure to the Realms, though, was FR1-Waterdeep & The North (the details of which are easily read in the introduction to CITY OF SPLENDORS, the 1994 boxed set still available as PDF from WotC).

Steven

Pretty sure that that one has never been on WotC's list of free downloads... I have it, of course, in print and pdf -- I made a point of buying that pdf very early on.
mitchellboeck Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 22:28:46
Spine of the world, R.A Salvatore. I was at the library and heard that Salvatore was good so I looked him up. For some reason I thought that was the first book until I got to around the end (I was 10) and I went to the real beginning and have read every FR book by him. I havn't really gotten into any other FR books but mostly because I don't know what other ones are good. The only other one I have read is the one where it explains Elminster's beginning (Which was an okay book). Any suggestions on what I should read next?
Quale Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 21:09:11
The first books they translated were Pool of Radiance, Elfshadow or Shadowdale, then Azure Bonds. Don't remember exactly.
Kajehase Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 20:00:07
Can't remember exactly, but either War in Tethyr or Cormyr: A Novel. Didn't much like the first, but enjoyed the second enough to have at least 3/4 of them by now...
Steven Schend Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 19:33:33
My first NOVEL was Bob's Crystal Shard for one reason--unlike every other fantasy book on the shelf before me in 1989, it wasn't part of a trilogy or multi-part epic. At that moment, I wanted a stand-alone, which it was at that time. Little did I know I'd be working for TSR within 8 months of buying that book....or how many were to follow after CS...

Steven
ElaineCunningham Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 13:07:38
Darkwalker on Moonshae. And for many years, I read EVERY Forgotten Realms novel, as well as the novels in every other TSR/WotC setting.
Kno Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 10:59:46
cause of the cover I first read Bloodwalk by Davis
Brin Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 05:34:50
The Lone Drow by Salvatore. The funny thing is that I found it in the database of an elementary school library. It wasn't available to be checked out though unfortunately, had to buy it >.>....
The Sage Posted - 12 Aug 2011 : 01:40:50
Darkwalker on Moonshae, almost immediately after it's initial printed first edition release here in Australia.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000