Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 14 Jul 2010 : 01:53:58
Well met

This being another collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Elaine Cunningham, whos works include: Elfshadow, Elfsong, Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, Windwalker and of course Evermeet: Island of Elves, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Mar 2015 : 20:37:42
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

All of Paizo's ePub versions are easily converted to .Mobi (via calibre) and can be imported to the Kindle. I have used this method several times.

This is an excellent work-around. Just so you know, though, starting in June the Paizo novels will be published by Tor and distributed by McMillan. As part of this arrangement, the new books AND the backlist will be available in ebook format on Amazon.com and, I would assume, Nook as well (for however long B&N lasts...)
ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Mar 2015 : 20:35:30
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Hi Elaine,

I was sad to see that your name was not listed amongst the contributors in Ed's Sessorium. Do you have plans to join them in the future?

Hi, Hawkins.

Ed's new project is intriguing, and I'll be following its development with interest. We talked about me taking part, and I might at some point in the future, but right now my focus is elsewhere.
Hawkins Posted - 03 Mar 2015 : 20:17:45
Hi Elaine,

I was sad to see that your name was not listed amongst the contributors in Ed's Sessorium. Do you have plans to join them in the future?
Hawkins Posted - 03 Mar 2015 : 20:13:37
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:

Still haven't read that one. I'll get right on it. Thanks.

Alas, I cannot find this on my Kindle.

Yeah, I don't know why Paizo doesn't have a Kindle version available through Amazon You can get the ePub version from the Paizo website. I'm not sure if you can read ePub files with a Kindle, but if you're interested, here's a link:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8h6j?Pathfinder-Tales-Winter-Witch

All of Paizo's ePub versions are easily converted to .Mobi (via calibre) and can be imported to the Kindle. I have used this method several times.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 15:32:04
quote:

quote:

Yeah, I don't know why Paizo doesn't have a Kindle version available through Amazon You can get the ePub version from the Paizo website. I'm not sure if you can read ePub files with a Kindle, but if you're interested, here's a link:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8h6j?Pathfinder-Tales-Winter-Witch
Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 15:18:56
quote:

ElaineCunningham Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 15:03:16
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Marilyn? Is this where the name Arilyn came from?

Not intentionally, no. "Arilyn" started out as a traditional Realms fantasy name, with lots of unnecessary consenants plus the odd scattering of h and y. Editor Jim Lowder trimmed it down to size. That said, Marilyn was quite pleased with the resemblance.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 14:55:44
quote:

quote:

Hope you like the book! It was co-written with Dave Gross. He came into the project after the cover and catalog were done, which is why his by-line isn't on the cover.

Oddly enough, Dave wrote most of the "girly' parts--sex and romance and shopping and so on. SOMEONE had to do it. As my Aunt Marilyn once observed, after reading one of my early attempts at women's fiction, "Girl, you don't have a romantic bone in your body. You should be writing something weird, like science fiction or fantasy."

Marilyn? Is this where the name Arilyn came from?
Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 14:46:11
A wise woman.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 14:40:33
quote:

Hope you like the book! It was co-written with Dave Gross. He came into the project after the cover and catalog were done, which is why his by-line isn't on the cover.

Oddly enough, Dave wrote most of the "girly' parts--sex and romance and shopping and so on. SOMEONE had to do it. As my Aunt Marilyn once observed, after reading one of my early attempts at women's fiction, "Girl, you don't have a romantic bone in your body. You should be writing something weird, like science fiction or fantasy."

Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 14:36:44
ElaineCunningham Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 14:33:49
quote:

Elaine, quite some time ago, I believe it was you who held some sort of contest in which you asked any who might like to participate to name a housecat-sized dragon. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what became of that project?

Not sure how I missed your newsletter. I just signed up. Hope I didn't miss anything;)>

Hi, Fellfire. Nope, you didn't miss anything. I probably won't send a newsletter until late March or early April. By then I should have something to talk ABOUT.

The dragon contest does sound familiar, but I don't recall the particulars. It might have been for WINTER WITCH, a Pathfinder Tales novel. There's a "house drake" called Skywing in this book, and he's about the size of a house cat.

Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 10:39:56
Elaine, quite some time ago, I believe it was you who held some sort of contest in which you asked any who might like to participate to name a housecat-sized dragon. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what became of that project?

Not sure how I missed your newsletter. I just signed up. Hope I didn't miss anything;)>
BenN Posted - 03 Feb 2015 : 23:59:46
Thanks Elaine!

Duly subscribed to your newsletter.
George Krashos Posted - 03 Feb 2015 : 23:27:23
Thanks Elaine!

-- George Krashos
ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Feb 2015 : 21:14:35
Hi, folks.

Here's a link to "Newsletter 2.0," a post on my website's blog. If you'd be interested in receiving an occasional newsletter with updates on new releases, work in progress, and the occasional freebie such as new short fiction (and maybe a bit of totally unauthorized Realms fanfic...), follow this link to subscribe. :)

http://www.elainecunningham.com/2015/02/02/newsletter-2-0/
ElaineCunningham Posted - 29 Jan 2015 : 18:36:05
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Hello Elaine.

Any chance you'll be attending GEN CON this summer? The theme of this year’s Candlekeep Presents seminar is Women of the Realms, and it would be an honor to have you as a guest.

Hi, Brian. I'd really hoped to attend Gen Con this summer, but it looks as if I'll have to shoot for next year.
Brian R. James Posted - 29 Jan 2015 : 17:59:58
Hello Elaine.

Any chance you'll be attending GEN CON this summer? The theme of this year’s Candlekeep Presents seminar is Women of the Realms, and it would be an honor to have you as a guest.
Fellfire Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 16:31:03
“Of a sort. The tales contain riddles, and each one leads to a cache of coins and magical items hidden throughout the Northlands. You are skilled in the solving of puzzles, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding them, if the need arises.”

This is what prompted my query.
Fellfire Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 16:24:53
Most excellent. Thanks, as always, for your reply. Though the contest/treasure hunt is long over the books remain beautiful and the riddles challenging, to say the least.

Wow! I did not expect a confirmation on that second question. Awesome

quote:

I'm very tempted to finish and post the next scene in this chapter, which gives a glimpse into Elaith's post-dragon-attack fate.

Should the itch return, please scratch it.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 16:19:56
quote:

First, Danilo's gift of the book of riddles, were you familiar with the two Treasure Hunt books that were very much like this IRL? I have the first one, where the hidden items were little jeweleries,studded with precious gems, worth quite a boatload, in the shape of grasshoppers and butterflies and the like. I had that book, but could never figure out the riddles. The artwork was beautiful. Just wondered if you drew inspiration from those.

No, this wasn't the basic for the riddle book. Now that you mention it, I do have a faint memory of seeing a book like the one you described, but Danilo's book was more prosaic. It's just as described--a book of little tales and anecdotes, none of which are obviously treasure-related riddles.

quote:
And secondly, the half-elf cabin-boy Azariah rescues in Ch. 3. He is describes as having a jutting lower canine, incisor, tusk? My first thought was half-orc?

Yes. Connor is half-orc, half-elven, but he considers himself to be human, as to his way of thinking, that's halfway between orc and elf. He becomes Azariah's most trusted lieutenant.

Fellfire Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 16:13:53
No, thank you. Now a couple more questions,if I may. One I think you might answer, the other I'm sure you will not, but I've got to try. First, Danilo's gift of the book of riddles, were you familiar with the two Treasure Hunt books that were very much like this IRL? I have the first one, where the hidden items were little jeweleries,studded with precious gems, worth quite a boatload, in the shape of grasshoppers and butterflies and the like. I had that book, but could never figure out the riddles. The artwork was beautiful. Just wondered if you drew inspiration from those. And secondly, the half-elf cabin-boy Azariah rescues in Ch. 3. He is describes as having a jutting lower canine, incisor, tusk? My first thought was half-orc?
ElaineCunningham Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 16:02:51
quote:

*sigh* I just reread those chapters. I knew some were posted here, but I thought I remembered reading another one from your webpage way back when. They are better than I remember. I know many, myself inclded, have said this before, but your quill is dearly missed in these here Realms. Can you add any details regarding Neesha?

Thanks for the kind words, Fellfire. I did another pass before posting these chapters here, and I think they benefitted from it.

Unfortunately, I can't add a lot of detail about Neesha without revealing key plot points. I'm very hesitant to do that, since the novel isn't finished and I'm pretty sure that If I ever DID finish it, it would take some unexpected turns. But I think it's save to say that Neesha's SECOND rescue falls to Azariah...
Fellfire Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 15:56:05
*sigh* I just reread those chapters. I knew some were posted here, but I thought I remembered reading another one from your webpage way back when. They are better than I remember. I know many, myself inclded, have said this before, but your quill is dearly missed in these here Realms. Can you add any details regarding Neesha?
ElaineCunningham Posted - 18 Jan 2015 : 15:40:26
quote:

In my last query about Tincheron, you mentioned his daughter, Neesha, I think. Can you tell us anymore about her? I seem to recall a sample chapter from TSD where she was mentioned. I can't recall was that excerp here? How much did she feature in that novel?

Yes, that excerpt is in the FR Novels forum, in a thread entitled "A birthday gift for long-time Realms readers." It has been a while since it was posted, so I believe it's on the second page. There's also a chapter 3 posted from the same novel, which, in a fit of whimsy, I titled "Chapter 3."

Neesha appears in the first chapter. She's rescued by Elaith and the elves of the Wealdath from a band of orcs who are holding her hostage to ensure safe passage through elven lands. And yes, she played a significant role in the novel.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2015 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000