Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep - server problems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ayrik Posted - 23 Nov 2010 : 02:16:15
Regular visitors to the Candlekeep forums have undoubtedly noticed that the scrolls are often difficult to access, being somehow absorbed within the boundaries of mysterious Sage Time. It is speculated that this havoc is caused by Sage's gremlin constructs escaping their cages. I wish him luck in correcting these problems, as I've noticed many (frustrated?) scribes have simply chosen to avoid CK altogether for a while, and thus the libraries have grown eerily silent.

I've seen numerous snippets of discussion about the recent slowdowns dispersed throughout many scrolls. I suggest that we limit such talk to this scroll; perhaps it may serve as a single place where Sage may read isolated reports, and for him to appraise us of the status of Candlekeep's portals and his valiant attempts to repair the extraplanar server spells. I cannot presume to speak for Sage, but I think this would take much less of his valuable time than scattered individual messages.

We have all read the cryptic "ASP ERROR 0113" message which denies entry to the CK forums. This suggests (to me) that, for a time anyhow, the portals leading into Candlekeep's halls can only admit a few scribes at any given time. A scribe must become inactive or leave before another can enter, and continued hammering at the gates only serves to aggravate the problem for all.

I offer a quick suggestion to my fellow scribes:
When submitting posts, allow your browser scrying device enough time to properly display your submission before attempting to submit again. I know firsthand that it can take many minutes and sometimes lead to errors, but attempting to resubmit many times simply creates redundant duplicates (which then require some cleanup). I recommend protecting all of your writings with the magical clipboard spell (invoke the somatic mouse gestures needed to highlight all of your text, then right-click and Copy; you can later right-click and Paste to rewrite the text effortlessly), this will prevent your submitted lore from being forever lost to the ether.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alaundo Posted - 14 Oct 2016 : 09:04:23
Well met

Indeed, I haven't seen the error for some time, but would be down to the server load, as Kentinal states. We had Candlekeep moved to a larger and less populated application pool some years ago, but maybe it's starting to get more population. Alas, the coffers don't stretch to a dedicated server.
Kentinal Posted - 14 Oct 2016 : 02:02:50
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

500 Internal Server Error

Only lasted a half-hour or so, still that hasn't happened in a long while.

That error occurs , most often, when host server is over loaded. Nothing to worry about if it happens rarely.
Should it become a persistent problem, it becomes a search for a new hosting service.

I do understand that donations to cost of host server are welcomed. Free and good hosting clearly better.
Fellfire Posted - 14 Oct 2016 : 00:19:47
500 Internal Server Error

Only lasted a half-hour or so, still that hasn't happened in a long while.
GabrielRoss Posted - 23 May 2016 : 13:55:14
grasyhoax: What do you mean by saying "beware of ccc extensions"? My files are locked and I can see ccc in their ending. Am I infected or what? Also, can I use this guide: http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-ccc-file-extension-virus.html???
grasyhoax Posted - 19 Nov 2015 : 17:21:51
sorry for the previous entry, that seemed somrthing hijacked ny browser. and plewase berware of ccc extensions, those files with such ccc ending may belong to malware that hacks your data - http://soft2secure.com/knowledgebase/ccc-file
grasyhoax Posted - 19 Nov 2015 : 17:19:21
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I got this new 'process' called stij.exe running on my machine the past few days, and I can't seem to gt rid of it. It's supposedly part of the Incredibar/Incredimail family of apps, but I don't use those, so I don't know how or why this thing was installed. Its infuriating. Thus far, no anti-malware/antivirus identifies it as malicious, so I guess I'm stuck with it. I'd just like to know how it snuck in on me - I'm pretty damn careful.

Can you go uninstall ALL that "Incredi-" stuff?

That's what I'd do. Also keep in mind that some malware is sneaky and masquerades as a legitimate process; I once caught a malware disguised as svchost.exe. I only saw it because I was using Process Explorer and noticed that process didn't have the same info as the other svchost entries.

You may also need to go into Safe Mode to get rid of it. Some of the trickier malware requires that.

Also keep in mind most anti-virus programs won't catch some malware, particularly adware or scareware. Something like Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, or Spybot S&D will help greatly.

Regcod Posted - 10 Jul 2014 : 15:49:54
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Regcod

Hi, I've some trouble with my outbox : it's empty and I never deleted any message in it!!!
Before I had configured my profile to have two separate page for outbox and inbox, now I've configured it for only one page for both hoping they showed up, but look like they're lost :(

Could somebody help me please?

Well met

I haven't encountered this issue myself, Regcod and have the same configuration of a two-page split. The databases weren't altered during the recent migration, so all data should still be available. I'll take a look behind the scenes and query your id for the physical data.

Thank you, :)
Alaundo Posted - 10 Jul 2014 : 09:36:45
quote:
Originally posted by Regcod

Hi, I've some trouble with my outbox : it's empty and I never deleted any message in it!!!
Before I had configured my profile to have two separate page for outbox and inbox, now I've configured it for only one page for both hoping they showed up, but look like they're lost :(

Well met

I haven't encountered this issue myself, Regcod and have the same configuration of a two-page split. The databases weren't altered during the recent migration, so all data should still be available. I'll take a look behind the scenes and query your id for the physical data.
Regcod Posted - 09 Jul 2014 : 13:21:24

The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2014 : 14:36:05
I know... I know. I've often been accused of making assumptions rather too easily.
Fellfire Posted - 07 Jan 2014 : 12:30:21
I don't have a 30 inch monitor. Sadly. Silly Sage.
The Sage Posted - 07 Jan 2014 : 02:21:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Not really a server problem, I don't think, but for some reason the text is no longer wrapping meaning I have to arrow over to see the complete text. Never had that happen before. Help?

Edit: Odd. It seems to have fixed itself.

Sometimes a url over long causes the problem the "word" is too long so can not wrap.

That, and the actual screen-size/resolution. I've seen nearly 30-inch monitors that don't really suffer from that issue.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 22:56:10
quote:

Odder still it appears to only happen in the "Exalted Monk follower of...Sharess" scroll.

There was a bizarrely formatted post in that scroll, from a spammer. I nixed the post (and the spammer), and it resolved the issue.
Fellfire Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 22:35:23
Odder still it appears to only happen in the "Exalted Monk follower of...Sharess" scroll.
Kentinal Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 22:32:00
quote:

Not really a server problem, I don't think, but for some reason the text is no longer wrapping meaning I have to arrow over to see the complete text. Never had that happen before. Help?

Sometimes a url over long causes the problem the "word" is too long so can not wrap.
Fellfire Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 22:28:19

The Sage Posted - 24 Aug 2013 : 03:23:43
Just had a little chuckle at the fact that while this particular scroll was opening, I encountered an ASP error.

Hehe. That's never happened before.
Alaundo Posted - 23 Aug 2013 : 18:11:51
Well met

Many thanks for the offer, angerzen. I'll also respond to your lengthier PM on other items, shortly.

With regards to hosting, Candlekeep has had to move web hosts a number of times due to the vast amount of bandwidth used. At one point it was personally costing $120 bandwidth charge per month on top of the annual hosting fee! Even since moving to the current host a few years back, we have had to move server/application pools on the shared servers due to the forum sucking a vast majority of the database resources (hence the ASP errors we have experienced in the past).

The forum is certainly undergoing migration but with a custom built site integrated, rather than a CMS. Watch this space...
Kentinal Posted - 22 Aug 2013 : 19:25:53
This is a generous offer, I do hope Big Al and you can work out something.
I do have a minor project that could used improved hosting. As it is not candlekeep related I will send a PM and see if you are interested in helping or hosting.
angerZen Posted - 21 Aug 2013 : 22:53:25
quote:

Begs for some kind soul to offer free hosting on far better server.

Actually, I might be of service in that area (as well as others). I have solid hosting that I was actually thinking of getting rid of, since I barely use it. I might be persuaded to host Candlekeep. I'd just need to see some storage and bandwidth numbers. I'd, of course, give access to the server, database, and anything else for those that needed it.

I'd also offer my services to maybe make the changeover to a different forum software, and perhaps an actual CMS system if you guys were so inclined.

Feel free to PM me. I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

PS - If it did not come across in my post. This would be at no cost to anyone. I already pay for the hosting, I might as well put it to use.
Alaundo Posted - 03 Aug 2013 : 21:38:59
quote:

Well met

Aye, ironically the Candlekeep server cost isn't cheap and disappointing that the stability is quite poor and inadequate The host obviously don't expect so many active scribes working on Realmslore at any one time
Kentinal Posted - 29 Jul 2013 : 21:10:59
Alaundo Posted - 29 Jul 2013 : 20:36:09
Well met

Aye, there were some issues on the server over the past few days. Apologies for the outtage ::gives archaic server a firm kick::
The Sage Posted - 29 Jul 2013 : 03:25:24
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Are you still having this problem occur, Hawkins?

I thought it had gone away. But then a couple of days after I had thought I had successfully sent it I checked and it was not in my outbox. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what I was trying to ask.

Fair enough. I'll keep an eye on this, regardless, just to be sure.
Hawkins Posted - 28 Jul 2013 : 17:59:51
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Are you still having this problem occur, Hawkins?

I thought it had gone away. But then a couple of days after I had thought I had successfully sent it I checked and it was not in my outbox. Unfortunately, I have forgotten what I was trying to ask.
The Sage Posted - 28 Jul 2013 : 03:37:52
Strangely enough, I was actually "feeding" some old virtual gremlins last night. But it was on an old laptop with no internet access.
silverwolfer Posted - 28 Jul 2013 : 00:51:48
This seems to be a regional issue, not just one bit, are the servers along the west coast usa?
George Krashos Posted - 28 Jul 2013 : 00:06:12
Seems fixed now. Well done Alaundo.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jul 2013 : 18:21:58
It's been really bad the last couple of days... I've had times I've had to refresh a page a dozen times to get the thread to fully load.
Demzer Posted - 27 Jul 2013 : 13:22:35
quote:
Originally posted by Ze

i've been having *lots* of time out issues in the last couple of days.

hardly ever had them previously, and my internet connection is fine.

Was it just me?

Same.

Since yesterday i'm having a lot of this:

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/topic.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000