Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The return of Bane

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Senbar Flay Posted - 06 Jun 2004 : 16:56:58
I relized it was just this year that the Black Hand returned but what I want to know is what impact will it have on faerun I mean he was alive before so waht is the big deal?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 16 Jul 2011 : 20:05:24
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

Sounds reasonable…

Back to the vision of Bane breaking out of Xvim (gosh, if he'd really be just pretending, he won some easy to pronounce name!) – why did the "goodly folk" of Faerūn believe 'em? How did they get to know? Did the other gods warn their clergy in similar visions?

Because all of Xvim's priests converted over to Bane, and suddenly Bane was being worshipped again. It's never mentioned how anyone else found out, but when your local neighborhood Xvimite suddenly starts shouting Bane's praises, it's obvious something's up.

I've always liked the idea that the rising of Velsharoon through the takeover the former god of liches had something to do with Bane returning. Somehow it released some of Bane's former power which had been stripped from him by the lich lord's original rising. I always wanted to pursue that angle, but I never sat down and wrote anything major up.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jul 2011 : 16:31:58
quote:

Sounds reasonable…

Back to the vision of Bane breaking out of Xvim (gosh, if he'd really be just pretending, he won some easy to pronounce name!) – why did the "goodly folk" of Faerūn believe 'em? How did they get to know? Did the other gods warn their clergy in similar visions?

Because all of Xvim's priests converted over to Bane, and suddenly Bane was being worshipped again. It's never mentioned how anyone else found out, but when your local neighborhood Xvimite suddenly starts shouting Bane's praises, it's obvious something's up.
MisterX Posted - 04 Jul 2011 : 07:07:31
Sounds reasonable…

Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jul 2011 : 04:44:55
quote:

So it'd be unlikely to have some big lightning, explosion and great fireworks within the Keep, telling people around the Realms Bane was back?

It was a vision sent to Xvim's followers.

quote:

Well, the new sign (with Iyachtu's green light, for example) would hint at that… what are/were the other "tidbits"?

Bane 2.0 is not using his old holy symbol.

Bane 1.0 favored red and black, and Xvim favored green and black. Bane 2.0 favors green and black.

There was a critter... I don't recall which one it was, something evil and nasty. Xvim liked these critters, and used them as some of his manifestations. Bane 1.0 did not use them -- but 2.0 does.

Now, all of that could be explained away by saying Bane and Xvim merged, and the new Bane has pieces of both. Or it could be explained by saying that Bane tried to subsume Xvim, and mostly succeeded -- but not entirely.

But... Xvim has already masqueraded as another deity, with the intent of getting more power out of the deal. And in the Realms, it's not uncommon for one deity to assume the identity of a fallen deity, even if the fallen one had nothing in common with the usurper -- like Cyric and Leira, or Lolth and Moander. Xvim had a lot to gain by taking daddy's name, and nothing to lose. In my opinion, given those random bits of data, the most likely scenario is that Xvim is Bane, and the original Bane remains dead.

Oh, and I also think it a bit odd that only Xvim's priests had that vision... If it was Bane 1.0 coming back, shouldn't his remaining faithful, or those he lost to Cyric, have had similar visions?
MisterX Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 19:23:37
So it'd be unlikely to have some big lightning, explosion and great fireworks within the Keep, telling people around the Realms Bane was back?

Well, the new sign (with Iyachtu's green light, for example) would hint at that… what are/were the other "tidbits"?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 18:08:21
quote:

*speaks in a dark voice* RIIISEEEE, Thread, from your grave and be resurrected!
Ahm, ehm, *coughs*, well, sorry for thread-necromancy. But it's better than spamming with a completely new one, I suppose… ;)

Was it ever stated in lore where exactly Bane broke out of Iyachtu Xvim (how the hell is THAT pronounced, by the way?)?
Was it maybe Zhentilkeep?

As in, the physical location where Bane popped out? That's never been stated, just that it happened. In Xvim's divine realm would be the most logical place for it to happen, there or where Bane's realm was during his previous incarnation.

Me, I theorize now that Bane did not return, that the whole thing was a ploy by Xvim to cash in on his dad's reputation and popularity. There were some interesting tidbits scattered throughout 3E lore that left some real doubt on whether we were seeing Bane 1.0 reborn, some amalgam of Bane and Xvim, or my theory of Xvim posing as Bane.
MisterX Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 17:28:59
*speaks in a dark voice* RIIISEEEE, Thread, from your grave and be resurrected!
Ahm, ehm, *coughs*, well, sorry for thread-necromancy. But it's better than spamming with a completely new one, I suppose… ;)

Was it ever stated in lore where exactly Bane broke out of Iyachtu Xvim (how the hell is THAT pronounced, by the way?)?
Was it maybe Zhentilkeep?
Shadovar Posted - 04 Apr 2005 : 03:25:28
Even if bane is running amok in Faerun, but as a shade, I will not see another foul avatar or whatever running here and there. I will personally execute any servants of Bane or maybe take the god himslef in a one on one combat. never mind if I die in the process, afterall I have the power of the Shadow Weave with me.
Jeff_K Posted - 19 Oct 2004 : 22:16:55
It seems like kind of a letdown that Bane was resurrected, since Finder went through so much trouble to keep him dead...
Beowulf Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 18:42:50
Well met!

A question; in my homebrew timeline I have suicidal assassins and terror squads riding out from Zhentil Keep to remind the region of Banes return.

I don't think this is my own stuff and was wondering if anyone knows where it came from?
DDH_101 Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 20:45:43
quote:
Originally posted by Panador

Sorry, don't know about this:

Why is Bane alive again? He died during the ToT and Ao didn't resurrect him like he did with Torm, Bane was dead and stayed dead - so why's he back again?

I already know that he's alive again, ie from Rage - A Year of Dragons, where Banites besiege this little town... Elmwood or so but I didn't read why or how he Bane came back.

Bane's resurrection wasn't in any novels which was why you haven't read about it. Like Sirius said, the details about it is right inside FRCS.

Basically, Iyachtu Xvim was in reality a seed of Bane that Lord of Strife used to gather power again and in order for him to return to the Realms.
SiriusBlack Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 15:13:47
quote:
Originally posted by Panador
Why is Bane alive again? He died during the ToT and Ao didn't resurrect him like he did with Torm, Bane was dead and stayed dead - so why's he back again?

Because a new edition of the FRCS was coming out and this was one of the big events with the publication of the new edition.
Panador Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 15:06:51
Sorry, don't know about this:

I already know that he's alive again, ie from Rage - A Year of Dragons, where Banites besiege this little town... Elmwood or so but I didn't read why or how he Bane came back.
SiriusBlack Posted - 03 Aug 2004 : 06:58:48
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Helm lost alot of respect after the whole Maztica fiasco. I'm not sure if that was all or if there was something else. (Not including his offing Mystra 1 at Ao's behest)

Good memory. Faiths & Avatars mentions both incidents as reasons why Helm is not viewed in the best of light by some.
Darth KTrava Posted - 03 Aug 2004 : 05:23:08
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Helm lost alot of respect after the whole Maztica fiasco. I'm not sure if that was all or if there was something else. (Not including his offing Mystra 1 at Ao's behest)

Torm rocks!!

Ordin_Solandar Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 21:32:39
That was attempted in Dragonlance and it seemed to have worked.

Amuanator was a greater power DDH just check out the pantheons book under dead deaties. Lathandar is Amuanators successor but doesn't hold all of the original sun gods portfolio's. His death wasn't a realms shattering event.

DDH Shade was on a different plane, although Shar controlls the shadow plane it isn't her home plane. The material plane and specifically the Underdark/Torils night is; in that regard the more followers a diety has on his or her home plane increases the power derived from there worship. This is part of the reason that Torm was brought back from the dead after the time of troubles. (died defending his portfolio, and on his home plane)

Poor Helm does what Ao tells him too and looses a bunch of his following!

Woohooo Torm for god of Justice and his current portfolios!
Darkheyr Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 11:08:38
The day just before noone believes into the gods anymore, some fancy god o' evil will drop a mountain on a city and say "Still here!" ...
Phobos Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 08:50:00
i don't think the status of a deity depends so much, or only, on the count of followers. a good example is mask. in the 2nd edition Faiths and Avatars mask is described as a "lesser power (previously intermediate power and briefly demipower)". his ups and downs have to do solely with him losing a portofolio to cyric (intrigue) and gaining another one (shadows). that is how he moved from intermediate to demi to lesser... his followers probably didn't change much in numbers in that time as there is no reason to assume that.

i think it is a bit more complicated (without claiming to understand it myself) so i can imagine torm will remain a lesser deity unless an essential part of faerun choses him to be their patron deity or unless he gains another portofolio... which raises another interestiong question... when is a term/theme/idea a portofolio but that is another subject.

ps of course if no one believes in a deity anymore... i guess that *IS* the end of the deity's career...:) so it probably works in that direction.
Arion Elenim Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 06:43:10
I'm gonna say Cyric. It seems that Bane at least respects Torm's dedication, power and loyal following. Bane is not a fan of breaking his word (thus the whole Lyonsbane curse thing). Cyric on the other hand...
Talwyn Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 04:39:37
I think I may have misphrased question 1.

I was interested in the death dual bewteen Cyric & Torm because if Torm is fighting Cyric, does that mean that Cyric had finally defeated Bane in an earlier battle?
Cyric doesn't win the final battle with Torm, they both die together
- Torm sacrificing himself for the greater good once again.

I know Torm was raised by Ao to lesser diety status but if his church did have a sudden rise in followers, wouldn't that begin his rise to intermediate status? Or can that only be given/awarded by Ao?
Also where does it say that Torms popularity is falling off?

Who does Bane hate more, Torm or Cyric?

DDH_101 Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 04:19:46
1. In Faiths & Avatars it states that Torm will die along with Cyric and save the realms from Cyrics madness: does that mean that Cyric finally wins in his battle with Bane? If so, when would this occur?

I don't have a copy of Faiths & Avatars myself but from what you say, I don't think Cyric will win the battle. After all, you just said that Torm will die ALONG with Cyric, so that means the only survivor left would be Bane.

2. Since the ToT, Torms' following has been growing rather rapidly at the expence of Helm and other gods. With his increased number of worshippers, does it mean that his power/position is going to change from lesser to intermediate status? Is there a correlation between the number of worshippers a god has and the amount of power they can wield?

Torm's increase in followers have slowly declined because other deities like Helm have been winning back worshipers since ToT, which was 14 years (or is it 15?) ago. Also, remember that Torm didn't become a lesser deity because of worshipers. Ao gave him the status because Torm sacrificed his own life to kill Bane and protect Tantras.

3. Since Torm "killed" Bane during the ToT, is Bane going to come after Torm or his church in revenge?

Yup, absolutely. In fact, in Player's Guide to Faerun every deity has 2-3 enemies that they especially hate, and Torm is on Bane's list along with Cyric and the likes.
Talwyn Posted - 23 Jul 2004 : 03:14:58
A couple of questions regarding Bane, Cyric & Torm:

1. In Faiths & Avatars it states that Torm will die along with Cyric and save the realms from Cyrics madness: does that mean that Cyric finally wins in his battle with Bane? If so, when would this occur?

2. Since the ToT, Torms' following has been growing rather rapidly at the expence of Helm and other gods. With his increased number of worshippers, does it mean that his power/position is going to change from lesser to intermediate status? Is there a correlation between the number of worshippers a god has and the amount of power they can wield?

3. Since Torm "killed" Bane during the ToT, is Bane going to come after Torm or his church in revenge?

And I'd just like to second Ordin's little plug for the Loyal Fury!
"Vote for Torm, to replace Tyr as a greater power! Viva le champion de responsible!"

DDH_101 Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 21:21:15
Ordin, it's because Waukeen and Amunator aren't Greater Powers. They don't have that much of an influence in the Realms like Cyric or Mystra. Also, Waukeen's powers were given to Liira who had helped her grant spells to Waukeen's followers.

As for Shar's "new worshipers", they've been her followers the whole time since the city went to the Plane of Shadows. It's just that there have been nothing about them before, that's all.
Ordin_Solandar Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 07:44:27
I am not sure if you could classify them as mortals any more then you can classify them as such now. Both had access to powers and abilities far beyond that of normal beings. Bane was obliterated before Cyric killed him with Godsbane, Myrkul put him back together.

Vote for Torm, to replace Tyr as a greater power! Viva le champion de responsible!

In my opion Banes return has had an interesting effect on the pantheon. Cyric is no longer free to activley conflict with Mystra because Bane is basically a greater power still. Although a somewhat diminished one. I don't understand why people think that there would be such tremendous upheval if one or more of the gods were to die. Not all the portfolios need to be filled! Look at Waukeen, Amunanitor and other absent or dead powers. Sure their clerics were displaced, but on a realms wide scale not much changed due to their absence. (commerce still occurs, and the sun still rises)

The two evil powers who demand close scrutiny right now are Lloth and Shar. Both have attained significant increases in power due to unforseeable circumstance. For example the return of Shade to the material plane infused Shar with 10's of thousands of worshipers. Lloth's revival in book 5 of WOTSQ has given her a significant power buff as things stand. She may be short a few worshippers, but read the book to find out just how powerfull she has become!
Darth KTrava Posted - 28 Jun 2004 : 18:23:40
"usurp" in my definition being to remove them from existance. He wouldn't take their portfolios as those aren't his "style" (so to speak). Mask would for sure. People think that since Torm took out Bane that one time, he could again (never mind the "teeny, tiny little fact that both were mortals at the time).

DDH_101 Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 04:24:48
Hmmm... it's more like Mask will be waiting to ursurp their powers. Torm would never because of his "honour" and he would become corrupted by the evil power of Bane and Cyric. However, the Shadowlord would be the first to jump in and steal their portfolios, as he still wants revenge against Cyric for taking intrigue.
Darth KTrava Posted - 21 Jun 2004 : 02:00:22
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

All I can say is I hope that both cults weaken each other so much by fighting. That way it will be a cakewalk when the forces of good finally roll them up!
Go Torm!

I think the forces of good have their hands full these days in the current Realms setting.

I'd say that Torm has his hands full trying to usurp their powers..... Don't know about the rest of the good-aligned pantheon.

DDH_101 Posted - 20 Jun 2004 : 00:43:49
Interesting... I've never thought of it that way. Thanks, Sarta on raising this point.
Sarta Posted - 19 Jun 2004 : 19:25:22
Well, don't dismiss the difference in alignments. Were a LE god to die and a CE god to take over their portfolios (or vice versa). This means that nearly every cleric of the one will have to find another church to support them (aside from the NE clerics of the dead god). The one-step rule on cleric alignments make things exciting when a coup occurs by a god of a different alignment.

As an example: Myrkul (who was Neutral Evil) was killed and replaced by Cyric (who was also Neutral Evil) and for the most part Myrkul's clerics didn't have any problems making this transition. Then Cyric reads the Cyrinishad, becomes Chaotic Evil, and has the portfolio of death stolen from him by Kelemvor. For the old clerics of Myrkul, some made the transition to worship of Kelemvor, others stuck with Cyric, and even more shifted to the worship of Velsharoon.

If Bane were to destroy Cyric, most of his clerics will not be able to make the transition to Bane worship and will instead flock to other more chaotic gods with worship. Garagos, Malar, Mask, Shar, Talona, Talos, Tempus, and Umberlee would all most likely gain more worshippers. Possibly yet another new god would be risen to take over some of Cyric's portfolios. The same sort of thing would be true if Cyric were to kill Bane.

Sarta
DDH_101 Posted - 19 Jun 2004 : 18:24:49
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I doubt whether the 'Holy War' between Banites and Cyricists will have any 'great' effect on the two deities involved. Ao would simply not allow such a deity-war to occur in the first place. Not only would it force a polarisation of support for either deity in the ranks of the other chaotic and evil deities, but the fundamental shift in the balance of power could significantly weaken the Faerunian pantheon. More so if the entire pantheon suddenly becomes mirred in a series of internal clashes between opposing groups of deities.

I myself don't see a big problem if Bane or Cyric die. The two are gods of evil and if one dies, the other just ursurp the powers. There won't be a big shift in power because if you remember after ToT, Cyric took the power of THREE gods. That didn't affect the balance very much.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000