Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Shadowfell Gloomwrought an Beyond in FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alisttair Posted - 18 May 2011 : 20:56:39
I'm back through my mobile phone to inquire about the following (Erik might have an answer but anyone with suggestions please give them). 
Where in the realms' Shadowfell would Gloomwrought be located? I imagine it about where Selgaunt is (or elsewhere in Sembia)...any suggestions on where to place it?
Also any other tips on adapting the new Shadowfell product to the realms?? Thanks!
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 31 May 2014 : 20:58:56
Thanks to the Novels last threshold and the Companions, Gloomwrought is cannon in the city and yes the city is part of the Netheril Empire.
Alisttair Posted - 16 Jul 2011 : 19:43:55
Yeah Manifest isnt normally there but i figured it would be a good fit and is an excuse for me to make use of the Ghostwalk book.
The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 07:24:24
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Wasn't the city of Manifest on the Ethereal Plane? Don't have that book anymore, so I can't check myself, but...

Not quite. Though, the City of Manifest does have a significant connection to the Ethereal Plane, via a unique phenomena known as the Ethereal Current.

Essentially, Manifest was set on the Hikirian peninsula of a stand-alone world, and built around the geological feature known as the Veil of Souls.
Lord Karsus Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 06:37:55
-Wasn't the city of Manifest on the Ethereal Plane? Don't have that book anymore, so I can't check myself, but...
Alisttair Posted - 03 Jul 2011 : 01:25:48
Well I did the map of the shadowfell area here I wanted to do. I even snuck in some extras in addition to the locales from the Gloomwrought product:

The shadowfell city from an old print f Dragon magazine (I forget the name) it's by a big chasm which also under a slightly different name in the Tome of Magic holds a cavern within which I added also
Added that cith which appears in Tome of Magic also
Put in the veil and a few other touchstone sites I think
added a lair for the Ogre King (who in my campaign lives in undeath here now)
The city of Manifest from th Ghostwalker 3e product just north of Letherna
I think a few other things but I'm in a car can't remember it all
Lord Karsus Posted - 16 Jun 2011 : 05:37:20
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Regarding the planes, I'm good with not having planes such as elemental chaos, the abyss and astral plane mapped out. But planes that are mirrors in away such as the feywild and shadowfell it's nice and familiar yet different terrain gets a nice reaction from the players. Also I like putiing th maps side by side and comparing them for their similarities and differences.

-Those are the planes I specifically hate (a strong word, but...) being mapped out- especially Faerie. More on that in a minute. Planes that are directly conterminous with the Prime Material Plane, the specific map (as opposed to locations, ideas, hooks, people, etc., as mentioned by Erik and myself above) is going to be useless unless you're running a D&D game in "Points of Light" world (which, I don't know if WotC is still denying its existence, if it still is). The Plane of Shadows, for example, in the Forgotten Realms, is going to be different, because Abeir-Toril has a different topography.

-As for Faerie, I think maps of it detract from it's otherworldly and utterly magical nature. More specifically, I don't think that it should have set features, period.
Alisttair Posted - 15 Jun 2011 : 14:33:43
Don't have my books with me, but what sort of body of water and what is te name of it (if any) that Gliomwrought is by again???
Alisttair Posted - 15 Jun 2011 : 14:32:11
quote:

-Partially related to the thread, but am I the only one that doesn't really like my planes to be mapped out? Don't get me wrong, I like being told about certain features, or places, but I don't like the concept of, say, the Plane of Shadow following a map, with X here, and Y, here, and these guys rule this area, and so on. Same thing with the Plane of Faerie, the Inner Planes, and basically all of them, except for maybe certain Demiplanes.

Regarding the planes, I'm good with not having planes such as elemental chaos, the abyss and astral plane mapped out. But planes that are mirrors in away such as the feywild and shadowfell it's nice and familiar yet different terrain gets a nice reaction from the players. Also I like putiing th maps side by side and comparing them for their similarities and differences.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Jun 2011 : 20:36:35
quote:

-Partially related to the thread, but am I the only one that doesn't really like my planes to be mapped out? Don't get me wrong, I like being told about certain features, or places, but I don't like the concept of, say, the Plane of Shadow following a map, with X here, and Y, here, and these guys rule this area, and so on. Same thing with the Plane of Faerie, the Inner Planes, and basically all of them, except for maybe certain Demiplanes.

It's particularly dodgy in the case of the Shadowfell, which is a reflection of many different mortal Worlds, and may indeed look different to different people, depending on what world they came from. Not to mention that as those worlds change, so too does the Shadowfell, and it's constantly refocusing as people come into it.

My own conception of the place is that everyone who enters the Shadowfell is like a mini darklord, and the Shadowfell tends toward a domain of dread for that person. The world warps a little around a visitor, resembling (more or less) a world that is simultaneously familiar and alien, depending on that person's background. More strong-willed (i.e. higher level) individuals have a more noticeable effect, and I don't imagine the PCs would ever find the Shadowfell turned into a "settled" place until at least epic level.

My intention with the geography in this product was generally much how LK put it: provide some themes, concepts, and some adventure sites, and let the DM connect the dots.

Cheers
Cleric Generic Posted - 10 Jun 2011 : 18:15:06
The disclaimer I usually fall back on, Lord Karsus, is that maps of such atrange and cosmic places are about as accurate as a map made of our world by Flatlanders. That is, parts of it are vaguely accurate, but it's by no stretch the whole picture and like trying to make a 3d model of a 4d object. I think it's stated, or at least strongly hinted at, that time and space don't work the same was on the planes as on the material world, so the map's only as accurate as you want it to be at any given time anyway.

EDIT: for example, I like the 'maps' ofthe various DnD cosmological models, but usually assume that they're a partial understanding/symbolisation of one of many facets/layers/coexistent truths, etc...
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 Jun 2011 : 18:09:10
Alisttair Posted - 10 Jun 2011 : 10:57:19
Maybe it'll be easier if I scan my untalented map sketch of the shadowfell in that area that marks the faerunian locations as well...
Alisttair Posted - 10 Jun 2011 : 01:07:27
Ok I thin in going the route of it neon the shadow of Loudwater. So tell me what your opinions are on the shadow locations of the various areas from thus product (well the light side ones in faerun)...at least map doesn't have to be perfect but I figured these this way and it looks approximate I think:

the sea or lake (what's the name?) takes up Southwood and Highstar Lake
Gloomwrought for Loudwater
Dark Reach whaere the Graypeak mounts are
Dead Man's Cross in the norhtern High Moor (I'm thinking where the Barrow of the Ogre King sits...maybe Sancossugs ritual did something after all...)
Thyrin Gol at the Star Mounts
Oblivion Bog - The High Forest
Letherna - Grandfather Tree

so opinions/ideas

and sorry if lots of typos ba grammar punctuation etc using mobile device
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 04 Jun 2011 : 16:52:22
It's not a *must* buy, but it's probably a *should* buy. Then again, your campaign might go in different directions and you don't need it. I suggest you hit a comics store, pick it up, and page through it.

Cheers
Alisttair Posted - 04 Jun 2011 : 00:47:02
I just realizes i'm at a disadvantage cause I don't have the 4 Manual of the Planes...
For anyone in the know who either has it, read it or wrote it, how much info on the Shadowfell am I missing by not having this?? If it's MUST BUY to run a good Shadowfell, what sort of info am I missing out on?
Diffan Posted - 23 May 2011 : 05:18:48
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Alisttair, that's actually a very neat concept. It explains why that (random!) dark creeper is there (the Lady of Shadows). I highly approve of that direction.

You might want to expand Loudwater in that case. Gloomwrought is a city of 12,000 or so people, so it would make sense for the mortal city to be that big--or *have been* that big at some point in the past. Ancient ruins beneath the city are a very Realmsy thing.

Loudwater could also be the reflection of a satellite (Thyrin Gol, for instance) and Gloomwrought itself a shadow of one of the nearby, larger cities (Silverymoon, for instance?).

Cheers

I like the idea of Gloomrought being the Shadow Loud Water and I think it definitly adds more flavor and reasons for being in that po-dunk town longer than level 5 or 6. As for the Lady of Shadows, I made her a sort of independant scout/spy for the Shades of Netheril to scope out future places for domination. Since Loudwater is farily close the the once-Anauroch desert, it's a good assumption that she wasn't working alone.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 23 May 2011 : 04:49:37
Alisttair, that's actually a very neat concept. It explains why that (random!) dark creeper is there (the Lady of Shadows). I highly approve of that direction.

You might want to expand Loudwater in that case. Gloomwrought is a city of 12,000 or so people, so it would make sense for the mortal city to be that big--or *have been* that big at some point in the past. Ancient ruins beneath the city are a very Realmsy thing.

Loudwater could also be the reflection of a satellite (Thyrin Gol, for instance) and Gloomwrought itself a shadow of one of the nearby, larger cities (Silverymoon, for instance?).

Cheers
Alisttair Posted - 22 May 2011 : 15:30:23
What do you guys think of this (since my campaign is centered around Loudwater)
What if Gloomwrought is the shadow of Loudwater, being a dark metropolis by a big source of wate whereas Loudwater is a small town by the river?? (also lots of dark ones and shadar-Kai activity nearby with Netheril).
And with that, Oblivion Bog bein the shadow of the High Forest? 
Any suggestions if I work it this way?
Alisttair Posted - 20 May 2011 : 11:25:47
Some mighty interesting ideas there Erik. If not for the surrounding bog type thing (name escapes me) that I like about Gloomwrought, I would definatley use it as Shade. Now I'm stuck between using it as a trade ally of Sembia or as a Sembian city being pulled into the Shadowfell (both excellent options).
My party is currently level 9 but will likely be level 10 when the current prepared material I have for them is played through at which point I will be able to intergrate Gloomwrought stuff with little disturbance to my notes lol
Regarding prince Rolan I'm of two minds for him from your idea. Either I replace him with one of the Princes of Shade OR at the point in which the PCs in my campaign slay the one that is their nemesis, Rolan will replace him as one of the twelve princes of Shade and maybe that could be the catalyst to bring Gloomwrought into the eqation as a city of Netheril in the shadowfell of Sembia and work it that way.
Also, I am curious, where would you recommend the "druid grove" destination of the portal at the Lantern be in the Realms (IIRC was it halflings using this as a trade route?)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 May 2011 : 04:25:40
@Alisttair: The Gloomwrought book is mostly appropriate for 7th level + PCs, generally paragon tier. So if you're going to have the PCs go there, either make sure they're powerful enough, or scale it down as needed.

If you wanted to, you could make Gloomwrought into Shade enclave itself, but probably it's better as an outpost or individual city.

A couple more ideas:

Consider converting Thyrin Gol into a shade outpost, populated mostly by their slave shadar-kai.

Prince Rolan of Gloomwrought might be recast as one of the princes, or he could be an independent contractor/vassal to them, who may or may not be loyal. A whole Netheril vs. Gloomwrought adventure could be a fun story.

EDIT: Gloomwrought could actually *be* Selgaunt, and the shades are in the process of taking it into the Shadowfell for their own nefarious purposes.

Cheers
Marc Posted - 19 May 2011 : 20:47:30
Personally I'd take Mulmaster, near the Ironfang Keep and shadowy magical experiments there. It has that oppressive atmosphere.

just by the map Sembian cities are a better fit
Alisttair Posted - 19 May 2011 : 11:16:20
I agree for putting it in Sembia due to the alliance with Netheril. I also jotted down what u said Erik.
I haven't read through the whole CG yet and only took a few looks in the adventure book but any suggestions on tying them in to a campaign featuring the Shades of Netheril as the primary enemy? (which is already underway and had the PCs run the adventures in the FRCG, Scepter Tower of Spellgard and the RPGA's Bane of Shadowa trilogy (1st of that done so far), with them eventually going to the past to run an adapted How the Mighty are Fallen.)
Tyranthraxus Posted - 19 May 2011 : 08:25:22
quote:

<snip>

I personally would keep the Raven Queen as an exarch of Kelemvor (perhaps she's a reflection/echo of long-lost Mystra, eh?)

<snip>

Interesting idea Erik

As for the OP; I don't own the book (yet), but from what I've read I'd put it somewhere in Sembia due to its alliance with the Shadovar/Netheril.
Lord Karsus Posted - 19 May 2011 : 05:59:10
quote:

- The stuff about Letherna obviously you'd want to convert to Kelemvor's realm (or whoever happens to be your god of the dead of choice). I personally would keep the Raven Queen as an exarch of Kelemvor (perhaps she's a reflection/echo of long-lost Mystra, eh?), but there's been a big thread on that, so you'd want to refer there.

-I've borrowed the concept in my own setting, and use her as what a 4e Forgotten Realms exarch is, as well.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 19 May 2011 : 00:16:03
Excellent question, Alisttair!

A few thoughts about converting (though that sounds like a great DDI article, come to think of it):

- Gloomwrought can be the "shadow city" of any major port city in the Realms, but my favorite choices would be Waterdeep, Selgaunt, or Westgate. (Particularly cool if the governments cross over from time to time, or there are alliances/rivalries, etc.)

- The stuff about Letherna obviously you'd want to convert to Kelemvor's realm (or whoever happens to be your god of the dead of choice). I personally would keep the Raven Queen as an exarch of Kelemvor (perhaps she's a reflection/echo of long-lost Mystra, eh?), but there's been a big thread on that, so you'd want to refer there.

- Several of the NPCs can be reflavored (little or not at all) to be tied in with one of the organizations in FR. Netheril is an obvious choice, but also Thay, the Zhentarim, the Twisted Rune, etc.

Others' thoughts?

Cheers

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000