Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2011

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 25 Apr 2011 : 17:50:41
Continuing the tradition...

So, I WILL be there this year. YAY!

The numbers for this year (Updated with Events going LIVE):

Total D&D Events - 627 755
AD&D/Basic/House Mod - 83 177
3rd Ed - 21 22
3.5 - 72 73
4th Ed - 206 232*
Pathfinder - 245 251†

*187 188 of these are official games (RPGA/etc.)
†166 of these are official games (Pathfinder Society/etc.)

So, non-Wizards 4E games are down to 19 games, while non-Paizo Pathfinder games are up to 79. Less 3.0/3.5 games (93), but more other editions/house/mods (83).

There's plenty of games for everyone to play! So, who's going this year? I saw that Ms. Cunningham will be attending and guesting at Paizo's Pathfinder Tales seminar (Saturday, Aug 6th, 4:00 PM). Although I haven't seen any WotC seminars listed in the catalog, I'm assuming they are doing the traditionals? (Lady Hooded One, can you confirm Ed's Spin-a-Yarn?)

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Phentari Posted - 10 Aug 2011 : 02:11:52
Gabrielle said it better than I could. NDAs were invoked quite often. Of course, simply hearing that NDAs are in play is intriguing...especially when the topics are things like the fate of Mystra, and additional members of Elminster's family!

As for the Spin a Yarn this year, it should be...interesting, to say the least!
Gabrielle_H Posted - 09 Aug 2011 : 17:23:10
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Phentari

The meet up was, as far as I'm concerned, one of the high points of the Con, and I'd like to thank Erik, Matt, Jaleigh, and Brian for setting it up. Being able to sit down with a group of professional, experienced writers and editors and listen to them talk about their craft is always a pleasure, and doubly so when that writing is something you enjoy.

Thank ye, Phentari. Are ya able to tell us what occured during the Candlekeep seminar? Any lore or secrets uttered from the sages?

It was a fun seminar! I'd love to see it on the official schedule next year, but I think it went quite well for an impromptu meet-up.

There were some tales from Ed about what it's like creating a shared world and then letting it go into the wild where other people's imaginations can influence its direction. There was discussion, much like there is here on CK, about the time gaps in the canon and how players work with them in their home campaigns.

The wishlist (player AND author) included requests for multimedia resources like audible pronunciation guides (yes please!) and interactive maps.

It was, honestly, very much like a live Candlekeep thread. All that was missing were THO's hugs.

The biggest thing I took away from it: when the authors and editors were asked what they'd like to see happen in the Realms from here, most of them answered that they couldn't answer because those things are already in progress. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming.

Matt James Posted - 09 Aug 2011 : 15:46:58
Sorry I couldn't poke my head in for more than 15-20 minutes :(
Alaundo Posted - 08 Aug 2011 : 23:58:19
quote:
Originally posted by Phentari

The meet up was, as far as I'm concerned, one of the high points of the Con, and I'd like to thank Erik, Matt, Jaleigh, and Brian for setting it up. Being able to sit down with a group of professional, experienced writers and editors and listen to them talk about their craft is always a pleasure, and doubly so when that writing is something you enjoy.

Thanks for a great two hours, folks!

Well met

Thank ye, Phentari. Are ya able to tell us what occured during the Candlekeep seminar? Any lore or secrets uttered from the sages?
Phentari Posted - 08 Aug 2011 : 16:30:31

Thanks for a great two hours, folks!
Tyrant Posted - 06 Aug 2011 : 05:09:27
Well I missed the meet up. I was demoing a game at the Mayfair booth in the exhibit hall. I thought I had my phone alarm set to tell me when I had to get going and I guess I didn't feel it go off (had it on vibrate). So I didn't leave the hall until quarter after and I must've missed everybody. Hopefully someone took notes/shot video/whatever. Maybe I can catch someone outside the D&D product seminar tomorrow and ask them how everything went.

On the plus side, I did get some of my books signed by Ed and got a signed copy of Bury Elminster Deep out of the deal.
Alaundo Posted - 02 Aug 2011 : 19:15:10
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Well, 2012 *IS* the 25 year anniversary of the Realms . . . it seems only fitting.

Cheers

Indeed, and I certainly hope that WotC celebrate this fact with some great new products and focus
Garen Thal Posted - 02 Aug 2011 : 19:14:42
quote:

Well, 2012 *IS* the 25 year anniversary of the Realms . . . it seems only fitting.

Cheers

*innocent whistling*
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Aug 2011 : 18:35:55

Cheers
Alaundo Posted - 02 Aug 2011 : 09:15:27
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

quote:

Location TBD. We might have an actual room, or we might just gather in a group and go look for somewhere to crash.

If this pans out and people are interested, we'll see about doing an actual formal Candlekeep Seminar next year.

Cheers
I'm sure, if we nagged the right people, and had a strong enough showing at the Candlekeep gathering, we might be able to convince WotC to get a space for us for next year. Heck, we might even be able to organize an officially-unofficial annual Candlekeep seminar.

Just a thought...

That would certainly be splendid. I'm almost certain to be attending GenCon 2012 so would be very happy to see this and meet with fellow scribes.
The Sage Posted - 02 Aug 2011 : 05:49:41
I've never been to GenCon, but I know that when I do eventually make it, I'll probably end up being this guy.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 02 Aug 2011 : 02:00:19
So, it's decided and confirmed: several of us are meeting up outside the Spin A Yarn when it's over (we'll try to recruit Ed also) and go find a place to hang out (depending on how many people show up) to talk about Realmslore and stuff.

Matt James, Jaleigh Johnson, Brian Cortijo, and myself are hosting, and any other authors we can find.

So for clarity, that's Friday, 4 p.m., outside the Marriott Indiana Ballroom G. We'll give everyone about 15 minutes to gather, then head out. If you miss us, check my twitter (@erikscottdebie) or email me at erikscottdebie AT yahoo DOT com, and I'll let you know where we went.

There's also a facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=260295457320190

Cheers
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 26 Jul 2011 : 20:23:52
So, where to meet up and decide where to go?
Garen Thal Posted - 26 Jul 2011 : 15:47:45
quote:

Location TBD. We might have an actual room, or we might just gather in a group and go look for somewhere to crash.

If this pans out and people are interested, we'll see about doing an actual formal Candlekeep Seminar next year.

Cheers
I'm sure, if we nagged the right people, and had a strong enough showing at the Candlekeep gathering, we might be able to convince WotC to get a space for us for next year. Heck, we might even be able to organize an officially-unofficial annual Candlekeep seminar.

Just a thought...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 26 Jul 2011 : 15:26:51

Cheers
Tyrant Posted - 26 Jul 2011 : 02:33:37
quote:

I nominate Matt James as organizer for the Candlekeep seminar.

I also think we can manage an impromptu, informal one for this year. How does right after spin a yarn sound?

Cheers

So would that be at 4pm Friday? Any idea on a location?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 25 Jul 2011 : 03:11:52
I'd be available after the Spin-a-Yarn. I might be attending Spin-a-Yarn, it depends on if my schedule works out.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 25 Jul 2011 : 00:42:25
I nominate Matt James as organizer for the Candlekeep seminar.

I also think we can manage an impromptu, informal one for this year. How does right after spin a yarn sound?

Cheers
Matt James Posted - 24 Jul 2011 : 21:17:22
I always thought it would be cool if CK did a Realms seminar. It would be a cool place to discuss lore, content, and other Realms-specific topics. You could even do a theme each year. Maybe we can pre-plan on for 2012?
Kuje Posted - 24 Jul 2011 : 06:55:16
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

What normally happens at a Candlekeep gathering?

In the years I went, and when I got got forced to organize them, it was mostly just a meet and greet. We also took a group picture or two, and then we all went our separate ways or hung out together at the realms seminar, which would be the d&d one now. :)
Tyrant Posted - 24 Jul 2011 : 05:46:38
quote:

I did follow-up on the lack of Realms seminar, and it was revealed that information about upcoming Realms products will be unveiled at the over-all D&D Products seminar.

Is there going to be a Candlekeep gathering this year? I know that happens sometimes.

Cheers

I was afraid of that. My primary interest is the Realms so I didn't sign up for that thinking (more like hoping) there was still a Realms seminar. Oh well. Thanks for looking into it though Erik.

What normally happens at a Candlekeep gathering?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 19:36:31
I'd be up for a Candlekeep get together this year (and I'd seriously try to make it, too!)
Matt James Posted - 23 Jul 2011 : 18:43:36
I'll be there!
Fellfire Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 23:22:19
(sighs)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 20:41:34
I did follow-up on the lack of Realms seminar, and it was revealed that information about upcoming Realms products will be unveiled at the over-all D&D Products seminar.

Is there going to be a Candlekeep gathering this year? I know that happens sometimes.

Cheers
Phentari Posted - 22 Jul 2011 : 02:14:01
I'll be there, and I'll definitely be at Spin A Yarn again. Feel free to throw stuff at me if the puns become too groan-worthy.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 21 Jun 2011 : 04:40:48
I have no ideas or insights about WotC's offerings, seeing as I don't work at WotC. I am flattered by the suggestion though, and wish I could help more.

Cheers
Kuje Posted - 21 Jun 2011 : 00:54:10
Aye,

Well maybe Erik or THO know about one. And I didn't make it to last years, so not sure what happened. Also, I edited my above post while you were replying. :)

quote:

That's more or less all they talked about last year though. This year they have a video game (well, 2, but I don't see them saying a whole lot about Daggerdale unless they plan on expanding it), the Neverwinter book is actually coming out this year and no longer just cover art and a lot of nice ideas. Sure, there's no new miniatures (that I know of) to promote. But, in their place, we have a Drizzt board game. I think if they had enough to put one together last year then they have enough this year, in my opinion.

I kind of hoped if someone like Erik or THO had an insight they would share it and I didn't want to clutter the other parts of the forum when this was already floating around.

Tyrant Posted - 21 Jun 2011 : 00:50:55
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Looking through the list of events for 2011 at gencon, there doesn't seem to be one listed for FR. Spin a Yarn is on there, of course, but there's no FR seminar listed. The only one I've saw is:

SEM1127775, Wizards of the Coast LLC,Dungeons & Dragons Product Preview, "Get an exclusive look at upcoming titles for the D&D RPG, novels, and board games direct from the game designers, developers, and editors. This seminar will take a look at D&D's upcoming releases and tease new mechanics and story directions."

However, it does make sense to me to no t have a FR seminar any more because really, there's only one or two new sourcebooks coming out for FR, like the Neverwinter one, while the rest are novels.

That's more or less all they talked about last year though. This year they have a video game (well, 2, but I don't see them saying a whole lot about Daggerdale unless they plan on expanding it), the Neverwinter book is actually coming out this year and no longer just cover art and a lot of nice ideas. Sure, there's no new miniatures (that I know of) to promote. But, in their place, we have a Drizzt board game. I think if they had enough to put one together last year then they have enough this year, in my opinion.

I kind of hoped if someone like Erik or THO had an insight they would share it and I didn't want to clutter the other parts of the forum when this was already floating around.
Kuje Posted - 21 Jun 2011 : 00:41:13
Looking through the list of events for 2011 at gencon, there doesn't seem to be one listed for FR. Spin a Yarn is on there, of course, but there's no FR seminar listed. The only one I've saw is:

SEM1127775, Wizards of the Coast LLC,Dungeons & Dragons Product Preview, "Get an exclusive look at upcoming titles for the D&D RPG, novels, and board games direct from the game designers, developers, and editors. This seminar will take a look at D&D's upcoming releases and tease new mechanics and story directions."

However, it does make sense to me to not have a FR seminar any more because really, there's only one or two new sourcebooks coming out for FR, like the Neverwinter one, while the rest are novels.

That said, there does look to be a lot of Living FR games, as well as a few events based around Neverwinter and the new Neverwinter computer game.

quote:

I figured this was the best place to ask. Does anyone know if there will be a FR seminar this year? I bought my tickets the other day and I got to looking through the events and I did not see one. I saw one for upcoming D&D products and I am hoping the various seminars haven't all been rolled into that one. So, if anyone knows, I would be appreciative for their insight.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000