Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Christopher Rowe

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 00:08:23
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to our newest Realms author, Christopher Rowe. Christopher's greatly impressive work for the FORGOTTEN REALMS line of novels received its debut in the form of Sandstorm, a fascinating tale set in one of the most intriguing regions of the Realms.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this scribe.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gyor Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 03:40:29
Great novel. Loved Corvus and the Goliath as well. I like Kenku as well as the other descendants of the none human creator races.

Cepthias did display great character development.

I was wondering what happened to Sharess' Temple and followers if Ilmater is the priesthood left in Calimshan?
Gyor Posted - 19 Jan 2012 : 03:39:53
Great novel. Loved Corvus and the Goliath as well. I like Kenku as well as the other descendants of the none human creator races.

Cepthias did display great character development.

I was wondering what happened to Sharess' Temple and followers if Ilmater is the priesthood left in Calimshan?
Alisttair Posted - 08 Apr 2011 : 14:43:53
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe
In answer to your questions, I've been writing about crows since my very first published short story, "Kin to Crows," in Realms of Fantasy magazine back in 1998. I've always been fascinated with them, possibly because my name is C. Rowe. So kenkus have always been a favorite of mine in D&D.

.... Fascinating lol. On a similar note. my brother plans on playing a Kenku called "Peck Ur-Eyes".

quote:
As for the circus, that was inspired by my home campaign, specifically by my wife's halfling rogue, Jojo Pickford, who ran a dog act in a circus before she left to become an adventurer.

Very nice. Thanks!

Christopher_Rowe Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 16:13:36
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Hey Christopher, I'm about 90 pages in the novel now. Enjoying it a lot thus far. I was just wondering, the idea for a Circus (and the Kenku, love him), did that just spring in your head or had it been brewing for a while (and does it have a hidden source, such as family in the circus or personal experience)??

Hey Alisttair,

Glad you're enjoying it so far.

In answer to your questions, I've been writing about crows since my very first published short story, "Kin to Crows," in Realms of Fantasy magazine back in 1998. I've always been fascinated with them, possibly because my name is C. Rowe. So kenkus have always been a favorite of mine in D&D.

As for the circus, that was inspired by my home campaign, specifically by my wife's halfling rogue, Jojo Pickford, who ran a dog act in a circus before she left to become an adventurer.

Cheers,

Christopher
Alisttair Posted - 07 Apr 2011 : 16:07:37
Hey Christopher, I'm about 90 pages in the novel now. Enjoying it a lot thus far. I was just wondering, the idea for a Circus (and the Kenku, love him), did that just spring in your head or had it been brewing for a while (and does it have a hidden source, such as family in the circus or personal experience)??
Tyrant Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 01:41:23
quote:
Hey Tyrant, thanks for the questions.

The WeavePasha is already very old, and plans to live at least a little while longer. That said, his "route to immortality" has been to establish a large family who are all fiercely loyal to his ideals, so no, I don't think lichdom would be something he would consider.

Ah, the more traditional route to immortality. Given the timelines and what I assume are the end goals that is considerable trust to place in others (even family members).
quote:
In answer to the second part of your questions, in the novel at one point Corvus Nightfeather says to the WeavePasha that he (the pasha) would do anything to protect his city. And that's pretty much true. The WeavePasha has an idea of what Almraiven is and should be (and could be) as "the last human city" of the Emirates, and he'd do pretty much anything to see that his ideal is realized. That said, he knows that some things he could do would irrevocably change the nature of the city, so he wouldn't do things that would prevent Almraiven from becoming what he wants it to be. Make sense?

Yeah that makes sense. There are lines he won't cross, but they are some pretty extreme lines.

Thanks for the insight.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 16:15:59
Hey Gomez! Glad you found the book enjoyable!
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 16:15:12
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

...the Weave Pasha has plans that have some pretty long timelines. Does he have plans to live long enough to see them through? Failing that option, is he the type to go the route of Lichdom (or some other form of undeath/immortality) so that he can see his plans through to their conclusion?

Is the Weave Pasha the type that will do whatever it takes to see his plans through to the end? In other words, is he a "for the greater good" type that will break a few eggs to make his utopian omelette if that's what it takes?

Hey Tyrant, thanks for the questions.

The WeavePasha is already very old, and plans to live at least a little while longer. That said, his "route to immortality" has been to establish a large family who are all fiercely loyal to his ideals, so no, I don't think lichdom would be something he would consider.

In answer to the second part of your questions, in the novel at one point Corvus Nightfeather says to the WeavePasha that he (the pasha) would do anything to protect his city. And that's pretty much true. The WeavePasha has an idea of what Almraiven is and should be (and could be) as "the last human city" of the Emirates, and he'd do pretty much anything to see that his ideal is realized. That said, he knows that some things he could do would irrevocably change the nature of the city, so he wouldn't do things that would prevent Almraiven from becoming what he wants it to be. Make sense?

Cheers,

Christopher
gomez Posted - 02 Apr 2011 : 13:21:25
Finished Sandstorm yesterday. Very enjoyable. Some of the intrigue was a bit confusingly presented (the efreet/firesouls bit, mostly), but there were some clever ideas and manipulation going on. I liked Corvus more as I read the novel. I was a bit apprehensive of a birdhead man as a main character, but it worked out well. Cephas was less interesting as the main hero though.
I hope to write a review soon.
Tyrant Posted - 30 Mar 2011 : 01:11:03
CR, I guess I do still have a question or two, if you can answer them. They are primarily about the Weave Pasha.

From the novel, we know that the Weave Pasha has plans that have some pretty long timelines. Does he have plans to live long enough to see them through? Failing that option, is he the type to go the route of Lichdom (or some other form of undeath/immortality) so that he can see his plans through to their conclusion?

Is the Weave Pasha the type that will do whatever it takes to see his plans through to the end? In other words, is he a "for the greater good" type that will break a few eggs to make his utopian omelette if that's what it takes?

As for the talk of magic flavor in the South, I would think in the South magic would focus on elemental themed magic and summoning given the influence from the planes/Elemental Chaos that is personified by the Djinn, Efreeti, and the abundance of Genasi. I would also imagine that if there is anything that resembles the Bonded Summoner from 3.5 that they would be more noticeable in that area. That's just a guess on my part though because I have not read much about the Shining South.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 28 Mar 2011 : 15:14:52
Thanks for all the questions, folks!

althen artren: The sources I used to learn about Southern magic made me think the differences are really more in flavor and tone than in kind. There were formally (before the Spellplague) a lot more minor magic items floating around Calimshan than other places, perhaps, and there's probably a greater reliance on summoning magic still, but in terms of game mechanics, there's probably not a lot of difference. Now, in terms of FLAVOR differences, in my imagination, the magic users of the South use more elaborate somatic gestures than their northern counterparts and have a preference for more exotic material components, for a value of the word "exotic" that more or less boils down to "locally available." This is an interesting topic. What are your thoughts on the differences? What should they be and could they be, I mean?

Dalor Darden: Sorry, man, I could have sworn I PMed you about this. Right now I'm just to swamped to commit to a PbP game, sorry! But it does sound like you guys are going to have a blast with it. Good luck!

mcmillhj: It sounds to me like the information you're looking for is most likely that found in the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide and Forgotten Realms Players Guide books. There have been quite a few changes in the south, but hopefully the most substantive ones are more or less "worldbuilt" into my book to a sufficient extent that you can tell what's going on, at least!

Cheers,

Christopher
mcmillhj Posted - 27 Mar 2011 : 22:21:43
Hello,

It seems that I have been away from the realms for awhile; I am currently reading Sandstorm and finding the situation difficult to understand due to my lack of knowledge about the goings-on in the south after the spell-plague. I don't remember hearing how the south, specifically Calimshan became ruled by genasi or djinn(I also don't know the distinction between the two). In fact the only novels I have read that involved genasi are The Captive Flame and Whisper of Venom which center around Chessenta. So I was wondering if someone or you Christopher could point me toward the lore behind the transition in the south.

Thanks,
Hunter
Dalor Darden Posted - 26 Mar 2011 : 04:54:52
I have to say that I just saw the movie Prince of Persia for the first time last night as I prepare to get Sandstorm in me grubby hands to read it...thanks for writing on one of my favorite Realms places fella!

As for questions: I just wanted to blatantly corner you out in the public and ask you (for the THIRD time lol) if you wanted to take part in my Evil Wizards game? If not, fine for me; but it is going to be an awesome game and you had expressed interest...so I thought I'd nag you to death about it.

If not now...it is a game that can be entered at any time in the future as well.

More REAL questions for you when I finish your book.
Elfinblade Posted - 25 Mar 2011 : 23:10:37
Congrats on the scroll Christopher.
Sandstorm is in the mail, and i am very much looking forward to it :)
althen artren Posted - 25 Mar 2011 : 20:49:42
So in several realms novels (like the Blackstaff) I see
comparisons between Northern and Southern magic. Could
you explain some of magic of the south? Say the Shoon empire:
philosophies, school concentrations, components, casting
differences, magic item descriptions, anything?
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 23 Mar 2011 : 15:00:32
Thanks, Tyrant!
Tyrant Posted - 23 Mar 2011 : 02:09:00
CR was kind enough to answer my questions via PM before this thread came to be. So, I'll just say that I thought the book was good and well worth a read. The Shining South, and the planar races involved down there, don't seem to get a ton of coverage so it is nice to see them get some time in the novels. There are plenty of threads that could be explored in later novels (which I for one hope to see come about) while still telling a complete story.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 13 Mar 2011 : 01:47:37
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Probably Lands of Intrigue, and Empire of the Shining Sands...

I could be wrong...

Nope, you are correct. Sorry, should have been specific!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 18:40:43
Hi all, just wanted to pop in and give my official endorsement of Sandstorm, which I am reading and definitely enjoying.

CR as a writer has some serious skills and ideas, and I think you'll like his work.

CR as a person is an enthusiastic, energetic, and classy guy, which I'm sure you'll discover in the course of this thread.

Cheers
Brimstone Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 11:13:43
Probably Lands of Intrigue, and Empire of the Shining Sands...

I could be wrong...
Zireael Posted - 12 Mar 2011 : 08:13:18
quote:

I can't really offer anything more about the Night Wars than what's offered in the two Schend boxed sets. There are no drow in my book, although there's a conversation in which it's intimated that they still live in and/or below the part of the Forest of Mir that was transformed into the Spires of Mir.

Which boxed sets do you mean?
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 22:02:34
I can't really offer anything more about the Night Wars than what's offered in the two Schend boxed sets. There are no drow in my book, although there's a conversation in which it's intimated that they still live in and/or below the part of the Forest of Mir that was transformed into the Spires of Mir.
althen artren Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 21:58:33
You know, I don't know why, but I have never been interested in the Southern Realms, except
the connection between Halruaa and Netheril, and the Psionic Kingdom (but Im not sure that's
considered the south) Since you wrote a book about that area, could you give a little more
detail about ?the night wars? drow swarming all over the south and what not?
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 13:52:55
Hi Althen! The book is set in the Shining South, mostly Calimshan.

And thanks, Arik! Ed said he had trouble finding it in Canada as well, hopefully it'll hit the distribution channels soon.

Cheers,

Christopher
Ayrik Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 04:52:09
Congrats, CR.

I'm looking forward to Sandstorm (I really like genasi), though it apparently hasn't hit the shelves yet. I hope you aren't offended that your book will have to wait until I've read one by ESdB, lol.
althen artren Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 01:55:53
So, Ill bite, what's the intriguing regions in the Realms?
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 11 Mar 2011 : 00:32:30
Thanks, Sage!

To start things off, I'd like to point folks to a guest entry I did today for John Scalzi's periodic Big Idea topic at his popular genre blog Whatever. It provides a little insight into why and how I wrote the book, as well as an answer to the question of "what's it about."

Cheers,

Christopher

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000