Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Land's Mouth

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakuta Khan Posted - 21 Mar 2011 : 00:42:22
Dear scribes,

can someone tell anything about the above mentioned area, where the giant's plain was before???

it is in the draon coas entry of the 4e campakgn setting.

thx in advance
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakuta Khan Posted - 22 Mar 2011 : 06:40:55
@ andrekan, thanks for this, very detailed and interesting.

Now, does anybody know if any of the surrounding empires has a claim on the plains? Amn, tethyr, Cormyr etc..
Andrekan Posted - 21 Mar 2011 : 16:37:14
I believe this is an area that was left vague for the purpose of adventure building. I ran some 3E adventures along the Giant Plains and Giant Run Mountains before the event of Spellplague. When Land's Mouth formed I was concerned with what might be happening there in case those players wanted to return with the characters that settled along that area. I could not find any new material about the area. I decided that what I needed to think about what was there and in the surrounding areas before Land's Mouth formed. I also wanted to look at what these large rifts in the landscape were.

These sink holes formed by the collapse of Faerun into the Underdark. It was mentioned that waterways sometimes feed into the collapsed areas and cloak the depths with steam and the sound of thundering waterfalls. Earthmotes hover inside and above portions of these rifts. Many of the earthmotes are riddled with tunnels still containing the creatures from the Underdark. Many new creatures would call these home as well flying around the rift searching for prey.

We must also look at what was around this area before this rift formed.

One Underdark area that either borders this area or was a portion of it was called Giant's Chalice: A brackish lake with glowing coral was in the lower Underdark that is fed by the Sea of Fallen Stars. The Lake had Octopi and vampiric squid. The squid were introduced by illithids.

Another area is Cairnheim under the Giant's Run Mountains. Stone Giants formed the village after fleeing from Shanatar dwarves. They have been ruled by Dodkong, an undead stone giant sorcerer chieftain who has ruled for 1500 years and corrupted the giants. He reanimates each clan chieftain who dies and formed his Dodforer, a council of "Death Chiefs" who all serve him.
The Cairnheim giants use rune casting but prefer Necromancy. They rarely engage in trade and guard their territories with avalanches, dead falls, rune magic, and keep watch to exact heavy tolls for those who might wish to cross there borders.
They once recognized Velsharoon who showed them the ways of Necromancy. I am not sure what they might know or think about the silent god who died with Azuth (Azuth and Velsharoon working together is another story but it might serve as a link to the reason a rift formed along Cairnheim's border).

The Giant's Run Mountains were given the name for the cut stone long spiral stair (each step 4') and the rough-hewn empty palaces scaled for 50' tall humanoids with giant benches that are set for the best views. Perytons are said to be numerous there c.1370's thus we might think c.1470's they may have spread into the rift as well as what ever lurkers are in the depths.

You may want to check some of the former ecology of the Giant Plains wandering monster charts that may inhabit such a place as they once did before Spellplague here are some: Ankheg, Annis Hags, Basilisk, Bargest packs, Bison, Darken Beast, Gargoyles, Ghast, Ghouls, Gnoll Hunter, Goblin Patrols and Raiders, Greenhag, Lightfoot Halflings, Hybsil, Hell Hounds, Hellcats, Hobgoblin Raiders, Ibrandlin, Nightmare, Nomads, Ogres, Orc patrols, Shadows, Shadow Mastiff, Spectral Panthers, Trolls, Vampire Spawn, Vargouille, Lycanthropes, Wights, Wraiths, and Zombies. We must include the new Scathebeast from Returned Abeir, such creature sustain food for large populations of monsters. With Earth-motes Dragons from the plains would still be important as well as whatever ones might reside in the steamy shadowy depths below. Here are some of the Plain variety: Blue, Brass, Brown, Gold, and Song. With the Giant Run Mountains so close by we should add Giant Eagles, Cloud Giants, Roc, Worg, and Wyverns. Then we can add these mountain dragons: Copper, Fang, Red, and Silver.
These creatures would have formed a strange ecosystem with night dwellers from the Underdark.
There would also be Plagueland areas in or around some of the rift called Land's Mouth. Gibberings and much worse plague changed monsters would be around such areas.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000