Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Valuable Villains

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Oct 2007 : 03:18:14
I thought I would start a place where folks could post villains that they have used in their campaigns; that other DMs could use in their own campaigns.

I'm not talking about your major movers and shakers, but bad guys that could easily be placed in any campaign, but that would still make long term minor villains in any game. I'm getting ready to start a new game in the North...and I'm short on time to prepare things. Figuring I'm not the only DM in the world with that problem, I thought this would be a good add to the Lists here. If something similar has already been started, would someone please point me in the right direction (I also don't have time to track down the right thread here in Candlekeep, it is like trying to find a book in the library of congress without anything being organized! LOL).

Bump
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dalor Darden Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 02:00:37
I love Warduke; thanks!
Diffan Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 01:52:05
I'll post a conversion I did a while ago, for a pretty infamous villain. While he's not technically a Forgotten Realms one I have a feeling he could easily be placed in any part of the Realms where Evil Organizations dwell. I present....

WARDUKE
Medium humanoid (human), chaotic evil
=============================================================================
Armor Class 23 (half-plate, +1 shield, defensive)
Hit Points 132 (15d10 + 45)
Speed 40 ft.
STR 19 (+4), DEX 14 (+2), CON 16 (+3), INT 9 (-1), WIS 13 (+1), CHA 11 (+0)
Saving Throws Str +9, Dex +5 (with shield), Con +8
Skills Athletics +9, Intimidate +5 (with adventage), Perception +6, Survival +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., see invisibility, passive Perception 16
Feats Mobile, Savage Attacker, Shield Master
Languages Common, Infernal
Challenge 9 (5,500 XP)
Indomitable (2/day). Warduke can reroll a saving throw he fails. He must use the new roll.

Magic Resistance. Warduke has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Remarkable Athleticism. Warduke adds half his proficiency bonus (+3) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check he makes that doesn't already use his proficiency bonus. In addition, when performing a running long jump, he gains an additional 4 ft.

Second Wind (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). As a bonus action, Warduke can regain 20 hit points.

Superior Critical. Warduke's weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 18—20.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Warduke makes three melee attacks with his flaming longsword, battleaxe, or dagger of venom. Once per turn he can reroll any damage die. He must use the new roll.

Flaming Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 7) slashing damage plus 7 (2d6) fire damage.

Battleaxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 7) slashing damage.

Dagger of Venom. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d4 + 7) piercing damage. If the blade is poisoned, the target must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or take 2d10 poison damage and be poisoned for 1 minute.
Dalor Darden Posted - 05 Dec 2019 : 15:53:31
What would really help, I think, is if we could get some scribes to place their 5th Edition D&D Villains here too!
Dalor Darden Posted - 05 Dec 2019 : 15:50:03
Thought I would cross post this fella from another thread to here:

On page 17 of the AD&D 1e Player's Handbook it says:
quote:
Orcs are fecund and create many cross-breeds, most of the offspring of such being typically orcish. However, some one-tenth of orc-human mongrels are sufficiently non-orcish to pass for human...

And...

On page 76 of the AD&D 1e Monster Manual under the sub-heading "Half-Orcs" it says:
quote:
...there are any number of unsavory mongrels with orcish blood, particularly orc-goblins, orc-hobgoblins, and orc-humans...so such sorts are basically orcs although they can sometimes (10%) pass themselves off as true creatures of their other stock...

So I got to thinking:

So a "half-orc" belonging to a human parent and an orc parent that is of the other 90% is JUST AN ORC.

That means that an Orc can have a Human parent.

To me this brought about the idea for a dreadful character:

An Orc that can claim Noble Title from a family in Cormyr; probably from the large Cormaeril family.

This is how it goes:

A young Cormaeril adventurer goes off doing what adventurers do. He joins a band of other lack-wit youngster nobles who think they are invincible and finds his way into the Thunder Peaks. There his group is slaughtered nearly to a man by the Orcs found therein, all save the one lucky fella who is Charmed by an Orcish Witch-Doctor of Luthic!

The hapless lad is then set upon by the female Witch-Doctor who believes fully in the "fertility" aspect of her goddess...and thus comes our bouncing baby orc-boy.

The lad never really gets to know his father...as his mother got hungry once upon a time when he was a wee lad and decided that the mouthy Cormaeril would better serve her now in the stew pot. She does keep his skull though, and gifts it to her son later on as a suitable present so that he knows "where he came from" and all that. She learned a great deal about the young noble before eating him, including the fact that he was a noble from Cormyr...and so the wee "other 90%" baby orc learns from his mother that he is a noble of Cormyr.

Now we come to Dragon Magazine #141 in which is the article "Hey, Wanna Be a Kobold?" about Humanoids as Player Characters in an AD&D campaign.

In it we learn that Orcs, thus our other 90%ers...
quote:
...may be fighters, shamans, magic-users, thieves, or assassins. Orcs may be multiclassed as witch doctors, fighter/assassins, or shaman/thieves.

So what would our "Noble" Orc grow up to be? He knows about the powerful Knights of Cormyr (many of his kin have died on their lances and blades after all) and he also knows about their War Wizards who have sent many other kin to meet the Orc Gods...but what would he strive to be...coming from the unique situation of being his tribe's Witch-Doctor's son?

I think he would grow up to be the worst sort of killer imaginable of course! He would want to be able to "show them" that he was better than them (with them being both the other Orcs AND the Humans of Cormyr). He would crave in his heart to "be the best" and so I figured he would want power first and foremost among all things. He isn't a REAL half-orc, so he can't be the things that half-orcs can be...so he becomes the thing that they can't be: a Witch-Doctor!

As a Witch-Doctor he may cast Shaman Spells AND Magic-User spells.

As a Witch-Doctor has:
quote:
...all the abilities and level limitations of shamans...

Which means they can wear armor and use weapons like a Shaman as well as cast magic-user spells.

Orcs can be up to level 6 in their "clerical" spell casting ability and level 4 in their "magic-user" casting ability with a maximum of 16 in both Intelligence and Wisdom. While this isn't a very high level; it can make for a very dangerous individual. To see how dangerous, read the article from Dragon #141.

I picture this fella, with the backing of his Mother, becoming a very dangerous individual among the Orcs of the Thunder Peaks...and he COULD be the reason that we see in Elminster's Ecologies on page 25 of the booklet about the Thunder Peaks...
quote:
There have been rumors circulating that a tribe of orcs is at work building a grand fortress within the Thunder Peaks, and that this fortress will serve as a launching point for an invasion of neighboring subterranean lairs of other races.

He is strong, highly intelligent, wise beyond his years, stout and very charismatic...a truly deadly combination among the orcs and a threat against surrounding lands as well.

I haven't worked him up yet; but it is in progress and I'll post him here when I'm done tomorrow.

Drudush, LE male orc Witch-Doctor

ARMOR CLASS: 2 (Bracers of Defense AC: 5 & Ring +3)
MOVE: 12"
HIT POINTS: 33
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1 or special (magic item, psionics or spell)
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-10+10, two-handed sword +3 (non-proficient, so no bonus to hit) or 1-4+9, dagger +2 (of throwing) or by spell
SPECIAL ATTACKS: spells and psionics
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Barbarian Abilities, spells and psionics
MAGIC RESISTANCE: nil
SIZE: Medium (6'9")
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
LAIR: Thunder Peaks Mountains, Cormyr Side above the Hullack Forest
CLERIC/DRUID: 5th level Shaman (of Bane/Xvim)
FIGHTER: nil
MAGIC-USER/ILLUSIONIST: 5th level Magic-User
THIEF/ASSASSIN: nil
MONK/BARD: nil
PSIONIC ABILITY: 176 (A,E/All); Minor: Domination, Hypnosis & Precognition; Major: Energy Control & Telepathy
S:19(+3, +7) I:16 W:15 D:13 C:16 CH:14 (21 to orcs) CO:8 (12 to orcs)

Barbarian Abilities:
Hide in Natural Surroundings: 49% (31% in unfamiliar areas)
Surprise Others: 4 in 6 (3 in 6 in unfamiliar areas)
Self Surprised: 1 in 20 (1 in 10 in unfamiliar areas)
Leadership: +5 (his level) to Charisma in regards Orcs and Half-Orcs)
Also: Survival, First Aid, Outdoor Craft, Tracking

Shaman Abilities:
Sage Knowledge: Humanoids & Giantkin (History, Legends & Folklore, Law & Customs and Theology & Myth)
Can Use Clerical Magic Items
Spells:
1st: Cure Light Wounds, Detect Magic, Protection from Evil
2nd: Aid, Augury, Speak with Animals
3rd: Dispel Magic

Witch-Doctor Abilities:
Brew Alcohol
Brew Potions: Cure Blindness, Cure Disease, Cure Light Wounds, Resist Fear, Resist Fire
Can use Magic-User Items
Spells:
1st: Charm Person, Friends, Identify, Sleep
2nd: Invisibility, Web
3rd: Hold Person
Spellbook:
1st: Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Find Familiar, Friends, Identify, Mending, Read Magic, Sleep, Write
2nd: Detect Invisibility, ESP, Fools Gold, Invisibility, Knock, Stinking Cloud, Web, Wizard Lock
3rd: Haste, Hold Person, Phantasmal Force, Protection from Normal Missiles, Suggestion

Magic Items:
Two-Handed Sword +3, Dagger +2 of Throwing, Bracers of Defense AC: 5, Ring of Protection +3, Wand of Fear (40 charges), Wand of Polymorphing (68 charges), Libram of Ineffable Damnation (previously used and now gone), Mirror of Mental Prowess (in Lair), Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals, Potions of: Extra Healing x2, Growth, Plant Control, Speed and one each of those he can brew (usually two of healing).

Minions/Henchmen
Mother Dearest, Witch of Luthic (Shaman/Magic-User 3/3)
Pair of Ogre Bodyguards (well trained via Domination)
Hill Giant Executioner (slave via liberal uses of Domination)
Half-Orc Assassin (4th level)
Orc Fighter (4th level)
Orc Thief (3rd level)
Half-Orc "consort" (Fighter/Thief 3/3)
Apprentice Witch-Doctor (Shaman/Magic-User 2/2)
Human Thralls x3 (all charmed, all female) F4, F3, F3
Orc Chiefs of the Thunder Peaks
1) 3 Hit Dice Chief (Son, Charmed)
2) 5th level Fighter (Charmed)
3) 3 Hit Dice Chief (Charmed)

About Drudush

Drudush is a manipulator and tyrant of the first order. He sees no problem with crushing any who oppose him; and few orcs are willing to oppose him if they know anything about him at all. He is slowly coming to dominate the orcs of the Thunder Peaks, and if not stopped may very well unite them; at least loosely under his control.

Through use of his Psionic abilities, he forces his will on those around him; and with use of violence where needed rids himself of those too resistant to his will. He uses his Telepathy to stay in contact with, and give orders to, those Chiefs he has forced to his will; often spying on them with his magical mirror.

He also uses his magic wand of polymorphing to change himself into any number of creatures (including Humans) so as to mingle with them; and used this wand to adventure for several years in the lands of humans as a Magic-User named Maltor. Maltor is at this very moment a member of the Cult of the Dragon within Sembia and has an apprentice wizard named Thulerra (LE hf W2) who is a current member of the adventuring band called "The Orc Slayers" (sponsored by the Cult of the Dragon, with "Maltor" as their master who keeps them informed and gives them orders via his Telepathy on what they should do and where they should go) who are a ruthless band of youths containing Thulerra, their leader, and a pair of Fighters (F2 & F1), an Assassin (level 3) and a Cleric of Bane/Xvim (level 2).

Drudush also has contacts among both the Red Wizards of Thay (who he sells slaves to) and the Zhentarim (who he arranges mercenary orcs to serve from the Thunder Peaks). In the guise of an assortment of other humanoids, he keeps contacts with goblins and hobgoblins as well.

The goals of Drudush are simple: he wishes to take control of all orcs within the Thunder Peaks. He has no aspirations beyond this except for gaining more magical items. He knows his power is limited due to his orc-blood; and he is seeking a way to permanently change his race to that of a human so that he may perhaps then be able to increase his magical powers. He suffers from the delusion that some day he will be able to claim the lands of Cormyr and enslave the humans there to his will; making himself a great King.
Diffan Posted - 11 Mar 2019 : 00:24:45
This character is already introduced to the Forgotten Realms, but it’s sparse and it only deals with 4th Edition. That being said I made a 3.5 version of him if people want to use him in their games too. I’ll update the post later when I get a chance to update the character to 5th Edition statistics.

Let me re-introduce Thoran, shadar-kai warrior and exile of both the Shadowfell (aka Plane of Shadow) and of Netheril. Thoran started out life as most shadar-kai do, in the Shadowfell and toiling away at plans and schemes of power and dominance. Having the intellectual aptitude to study magic and having a significantly bigger build than many of his mageling peers, Thoran seemed bound for greatness. That is until his own hubris and greed got the better of him, putting him on the outs with the senior members of his Shadowfell Cabal mentors.

Thoran had accessed the restricted area of the study’s library and came across a bit of writing on the ancient texts and tomes of Netheril, an ancient civilization of Faerûn. He had become obsessed with a series of writings called the ‘Analects of Kuryon’, a collection of poems regarding prophecy and the nature of the future. These further detailed a sorrowful spirit called Lady Saharel and how she is known for providing such foresight to visitors to her destroyed city.

When Thoran was exiled from the Cabal, he fled to the Material Plane, knowing full well the possibilities of the Shadow Curse on his body and soul. He obtained a more potent gal-ralan (a device that keeps him planed on the material plane) and shifted to the natural world. His training in combat and arms as well as the Subline disciplines made him a formidable foe on Faerûn. He made his way to City of Shade for an audience with one of the Princes in what he hoped would be an alliance of sorts, putting him on his own throne in Saharelgard. The princes of shade, never ones to see anyone not of Netherese descent sit upon any throne in their kingdom, rejected his idea outright and attempted to capture him for his knowledge. This led to a quick flight from the city, naming him an enemy of the Netheril.

Not one to give up, Thoran ventured across northern Netheril and gained quite a few allies with his charm and skill at arms, including a Dark Stalker (Fiend Folio), dark creepers (Fiend Folio), a warband of kobolds, a few tropes of ettercaps, and a few human wizard and cleric mercenaries. With this force, he was able to overpower what creatures dwelt within the cisterns of Spellgard and work his way up through the main tower to solidify his command.

With him in power, he started putting his plan into motion. For him to bind and hold Lady Saharel firmly, he’ll need to restore the alabaster pillars which are filled with latent magical power to perform the ritual. Once completed, he’ll have a prophetic seer bent to his will that can further fuel his ambitions of power for the region.

For use in a 3.5 campaign, I would set it sometime between 1375 DR and 1390 DR. The Spellplague could be a major part of why the area is in chaos and turmoil OR you can ignore all of that altogether. Of course it helps to have the adventure Scepter Tower of Spellgard but it’s not necessary. There’s enough information about the area that you can come up with your own plot devices for the guy. Basically put, he’s bent on acquiring lots of wealth and considers himself fit to rule over lots of people. He favors himself an important person in the schemes of Netheril despite their objection.

3.5 Edition

Thoran, Shadar-kai Champion; CR 8
hp 56 (6 HD)
===============================================================================
Male Shadar-Kai warblade 6
NE Medium fey (extraplanar)
Init +5; Senses low-light vision 120-ft; Listen -3, Spot -3
Aura ironheart aura (when in an iron heart stance, adjacent allies again +2 to saves)
Languages Chondathan, Common, Elven, Netherese, Sylvan
AC 21, touch 15, flat-footed 17; improved uncanny dodge, +2 when he moves more than 10-ft. in absolute steel stance
(+6 armor, +4 Dexterity, +1 deflection)
Fort +9, Ref +11 (+9 if flat-footed), Will +5; +4 to saves against death effects, energy drain, and effects that affect the wearer’s soul
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); 40 ft. when in absolute steel stance
Melee +2 weakening bastard sword [greater crystal of life stealing] +11/+6 (1d10+9/19-20 and -4 to Strength score). Each successful attack Thoran can regain 5 hit points, to a total of 50 hit points per day.
Atk Options battle ardor (+2 to confirm critical hits), Power Attack, sneak attack +1d6 (or +3d6 in assassin’s stance)
Base Atk +6; Grp +9
Combat Gear 3 potions of cure light wounds, 5 vials of night extract*, blackstone rune* (2 uses remaining)
Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 6th):
Stances—absolute steel stance (3rd), assassin’s stance (3rd), punishing stance (1st)
Strikes—emerald razor (2nd), steel wind (1st), tactical strike (2nd)
Counter—moment of perfect mind (2nd)
Boosts—iron heart surge (3rd), white raven tactics (3rd).
Other—shadow jaunt (2nd)
Disciplines: Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Shadow Hand, White Raven
Readied maneuver
Abilities Str 17, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 10
SQ hide in plain sight, shadow curse
Feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Ironheart Aura*, Martial Stance (assassin’s stance), Martial Study (Shadow Hand, shadow jaunt), Power Attack
*Bonus feat
Skills Balance +12, Climb +6, Concentration +11, Craft (alchemy) +4, Hide +10 (+20 in dark or shadowy conditions), Intimidate +8, Jump +8, Knowledge (history) +7, Knowledge (local [the North]) +3, Martial Lore +4, Swim +2, Tumble +14
Flaw Inattentive (Thoran takes a -4 penalty to Listen and Spot checks)
Possessions combat gear* plus +2 blueshine chain shirt of retaliation, +2 gal-ralan*, +2 weakening bastard sword with a greater crystal of life drinking, gloves of Dexterity +2, ring of protection +1, 8 pp, 45 gp.

*These items are found in the Fiend Folio, in the Shadar-kai description.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Thoran can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is not illuminated by natural daylight, the daylight spell, or a similar magical light, Thoran can hide himself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind.

Shadow Curse (Su): Anytime Thoran attempts to remove the gal-ralan or is stunned, dazed, staggered, or unconscious (other than from natural sleep), he must make a Will save (DC 15) or lose a portion of his soul to the Plane of Shadow. If Thoran loses a portion of his soul, he gains one negative level that can only be regained by returning to the Plane of Shadow and casting a restoration spell. On the Material Plane, he must use a wish or miracle spell to restore his soul. The level loss is accumulative. While under the effects of the shadow curse, Thoran cannot be raised from the dead or resurrected, and he cannot gain experience.

Sneak Attack (Ex): Anytime Thoran’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus, or when a target is flanked by an ally, Thoran deals an additional 1d6 points of damage on a successful melee attack. This damage stack with sneak attack damage from other sources, such as rogue levels.

4th Edition (I just updated him with some changes, dropped him 2 levels because the elite status made him difficult for the target's range and made him cooler by adding marking effect that allow him more shadow-jaunting abilities)

Thoran, Shadar-kai Champion; Level 6 Elite Soldier
Medium shadow humanoid; XP 500
HP 140; Bloodied 70; Initiative +9
AC 23; Fortitude 19; Reflex 20; Will 18; Perception +4; low-light vision
Speed 6
Saving Throws +2 (automatically saves against ongoing necrotic damage); Action Points 1
TRAITS
Gloomstrike
If Thoran hits a target that can't see him, the target is blinded until the end of Thoran's next turn.
STANDARD ACTIONS
(M) Lifestealer Bastard Sword (weapon) • At-Will
Attack: +11 vs. AC
Hit: 3d6 + 4 damage (crit or slain - target loses a healing surge and Thoran gains 20 temporary hit points) and the target is marked by Thoran until the s tart of his next turn.

(m) Double Attack (weapon) • At-Will
Effect: Thoran makes two bastard sword attacks.
MOVE ACTIONS
Shadow Jaunt (teleport) • Encounter
Effect: Thoran teleports 3 squares and becomes insubstantial until the start of his next turn.

Veil of Shadows (illusion) • At-Will
Effect: Thoran turns invisible until the end of his turn and moves his speed. Thoran cannot use this power while bloodied.
MINOR ACTIONS
Umbral MarkRecharge 5, 6
Effect: Close burst 3 (each enemy in burst). The targets are marked by Thoran until the end of Thoran's next turn.
FREE ACTIONS
(m) Cage of GloomRecharge 5, 6
Effect: Thoran makes a bastard sword attack. If the attack hits, he makes a secondary attack as strands of shadow coil around the target.
Secondary Attack: +9 vs. Reflex
Hit: 7 necrotic damage and the target is restrained (save ends).
TRIGGERED ACTIONS
(m) DeathtrapAt-Will
Trigger: An enemy within burst 3 that is marked by Thoran uses an attack power that doesn't include him as a target.
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): Thoran uses his shadow jaunt power to move adjacent to the triggering enemy. IF he has already used his shadow jaunt, it recharges. Thoran then attacks with Cage of Gloom against the triggering enemy.
Skills Acrobatics +15, Stealth +15
Str 17 (+7); Dex 20 (+9); Wis 14 (+6)
Con 14 (+6); Int 12 (+5); Cha 11 (+4)
Alignment Evil; Languages Chondathan, Common, Elven, Netherese
Equipment pouch with alabaster talismans, lifestealer bastard sword +1, deathburst chain mail +2

5th Edition (soon to come)...
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 22:48:52
Armor Class for Khelzul:

Base 10
Dex +7
Int +13
Robes +5
Ring +5
Ring +7
Natural +5
Insight +5
Profane +5
Luck +5

= 67
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 22:28:02
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

10 + 7 dex + +5 armor +5 deflection + 5 insight + 5 profane = 37. Where's the extra 30 AC coming from?

SR does not stack.

What does his staff do?

10 + 7 (Dex of 24) + 5 natural (bracer of natural armor +5) + 5 deflection (ring of protection +5) + 5 insight (Black Cowled Crown of Khel) + 5 Luck (Black Cowled Crown of Khel) + 5 Profane (Black Cowled Crown of Khel) + 7 shield (ring of force shield +5) = AC 49. Not even sure how that jumps another 18 points to 67?

Also, I like this project! Feel free to pilfer any NPC bad guys from my works here Forgotten Realms NPC Generator.

Further, might I add a few more to this thread? And is there an edition that is specific to this or can it be from any? Or even multiple Iterations of the same character with different stats based on edition?

Add any villain from any edition!
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 22:26:59
quote:

SR does not stack.

What does his staff do?

SR isn't stacking; it is situational for each item he has. If he doesn't have one going but another then his SR changes.

The staff is simply a Staff of the Arch-Mage but summons only creatures with the shadow creature template.

EDIT: as for the shield, there is no rule that I found that says the ring can't be further enchanted to grant a fully magical shield +5. Again, if you find it too much; it is easy to drop.
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 21:40:14
Feat "Deft Defense" gives Intelligence bonus to AC as a dodge bonus...

He is "Neutral" for our gaming; but I see your point and you can simply reduce his AC if you don't want to use it that way.

more later...
LordofBones Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 15:37:31
That ring of force shield is bizarre, because the base item does not grant a numeric bonus (it's not "you gain a +2 shield bonus to ac", it's "you create a magic heavy shield"). Likewise, he shouldn't have a luck bonus from the crown because he's not Neutral, he's Neutral Evil, which is entirely different.

His spell allotment is also strange. He's missing 1 2nd level spell and has an extra 9th level spell.
Diffan Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 15:05:16
quote:

10 + 7 dex + +5 armor +5 deflection + 5 insight + 5 profane = 37. Where's the extra 30 AC coming from?

SR does not stack.

What does his staff do?

10 + 7 (Dex of 24) + 5 natural (bracer of natural armor +5) + 5 deflection (ring of protection +5) + 5 insight (Black Cowled Crown of Khel) + 5 Luck (Black Cowled Crown of Khel) + 5 Profane (Black Cowled Crown of Khel) + 7 shield (ring of force shield +5) = AC 49. Not even sure how that jumps another 18 points to 67?

Also, I like this project! Feel free to pilfer any NPC bad guys from my works here Forgotten Realms NPC Generator.

Further, might I add a few more to this thread? And is there an edition that is specific to this or can it be from any? Or even multiple Iterations of the same character with different stats based on edition?
LordofBones Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 07:45:22

SR does not stack.

What does his staff do?
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Mar 2019 : 05:37:44
Today brings us:

Khelzul (the “Goblin King” of Khel)
Neutral Evil Human Male Wizard 5 / Shadow Adept 10 / Arch-Mage 2

STR: 12
DEX: 24 (18)
CON: 16
INT: 36 (30)
WIS: 19
CHR: 17

HP: 103
AC: 67 (Touch: 57, Flat-Footed: 47, Touch & Flat-Footed: 37)
AC: 74 with Greater Shield of Shadows, Haste & Foresight

Saving Throws: Fortitude = +21, Reflex = +25, Will = 32 (all +3 vs. Shadow Magic)

Initiative: +11
Base Attack: +8 (+9 Melee / +15 Ranged); Grapple: +9
Spell Resistance: 18 with Robes, 22 with Shadow Shield, 23 with Staff

Weapons:
Shadowed Staff of the Arch-Magus +10/+5 1d6+2 damage
+3 Silver Dagger +12/+7 1d4+4

Appraise 18 (5), Bluff 23 (20), Concentration 23 (20), Decipher Script 23 (10), Diplomacy 8 (5), Disguise 25 (20), Forgery 15 (2), Gather Information 8 (5), Hide 17 (10), Knowledge Arcana 35 (20), Knowledge Architecture 18 (5), Knowledge Dungeoneering 18 (5), Knowledge Geography 18 (5), Knowledge History 18 (5), Knowledge Local 18 (5), Knowledge Nature 18 (5), Knowledge Nobility 20 (5), Knowledge Religion 20 (5), Knowledge Planes 33 (20), Move Silently 17 (10), Perform: Acting 8 (5), Perform: Dance 7 (2), Perform: Oratory 7 (2), Profession: Monarch 16 (10), Ride 10 (3), Search 15 (2), Spellcraft 38 (20)

Feats (in order by level): Shadow Magic, Improved Initiative, Scribe Scroll, Improved Counterspell, Reactive Counterspell, Silent Spell, Deft Defense, Insidious Magic, Pernicious Magic, Tenacious Magic, Skill Focus: Spellcraft, Spell Focus: Illusion, Spell Focus: Enchantment, Craft Contingent Spell, Leadership

Arch-Mage Abilities: Mastery of Counterspelling (costs a 7th level spell), Spell Power +1 (costs a 5th level spell)

Magic Items Carried: Staff of the Arch-Magus (only summons creatures with the Shadow Creature Template), Black Robes of the Arch-Magi, Bracers of Natural Armor +5, Ring of Protection +5, Ring of Force Shield +5 (+7 AC), Gloves of Dexterity +6, Mask of Warding Shadows (+5 Profane Save bonus), Boots of Fortuitous Warding (+5 Luck Save Bonus), Heward’s Handy Haversack, Black Cowled Crown of Khel (+6 Intelligence, Intelligence Casters +5 Insight Bonus to AC, Evil Wearers +5 Profane Bonus to AC, Neutral Wearers +5 Luck Bonus to AC), Black Prism Ioun Stone (+1 Level), Greater Quickened Rod 9th level spells or less, plus many potions and scrolls

SPELLS MEMORIZED (4/8/7/7/7/6/6/4/5/4)

0th Level: Detect Poison, Message, Message, Read Magic
1st Level: Charm Person, Charm Person, Know Protections, Magic Missile, Net of Shadows, Silent Image, True Casting, True Casting
2nd Level: Crystalline Memories, Life Bolt, Scourge of Force, Shadow Mask, Toothed Tentacle, Web
3rd Level: Control Darkness & Shadow, Dispel Magic, Hold Person, Inevitable Defeat, Pall of Twilight, Spectral Hand, Spellcaster’s Bane
4th Level: Greater Mirror Image (Immediate), Spell Enhancer (Swift), Anticipate Teleportation, Ghorus Toth’s Metal Melt, Nightmare Terrain, Shadow Well, Thunderlance
5th Level: Baleful Polymorph, Break Enchantment, Dominate Person, Teleport, Wall of Force
6th Level: Chain Lightning, Circle of Death, Disintegrate, Dispel Magic (Greater), Geas, Permanent Illusion
7th Level: Finger of Death, Forcecage, Mass Hold Person, Projected Image
8th Level: Horrid Wilting, Maze, Otiluke’s Telekinetic Sphere, Scintillating Pattern, Temporal Stasis
9th Level: Bigby’s Crushing Hand, Power Word Kill, Time Stop, Wail of the Banshee

Khelzul rules the Goblins of Khel. Inspired by the movie Labyrinth, this is the D&D version of that less than truly evil Goblin King. The Goblins of Khel are all Shadow Creatures (or worse if you like) and many of them are minor spell casters in their own right.

To use Khelzul, simply have him kidnap someone important to the party after you watch the movie Labyrinth. Khel itself is in the borderlands of the plane of Shadow within a Demi-Plane called Khel.

Trying to confront Khelzul is dangerous for any party due to his high Armor Class and powerful magic. Instead, he typically kidnaps individuals simply to see what a party will do and isn’t as much interested in killing as amusing himself. He is centuries old because of the power of his Palace.

The Palace of Khel actually keeps its occupant young, aging only 1 year per 100 years spent within…but making the wizard a prisoner for if he leaves for more than a few hours he will instantly age to death. He spies on the “real world” through the eyes of his goblins (who leave through shadow-rifts into the Forgotten Realms) while seated on his throne.
Dalor Darden Posted - 23 Sep 2014 : 05:21:15
“Lord” Krell is an insidious dealer of intrigue matched by few who know of him; and in truth few do know of Baron Krell as he keeps a very low profile. His wilderness fortress sits astride a rather obscure backwoods trading trail rarely used by reputable merchants; but it is in fact much faster (if somewhat more dangerous) than the commonly used route in the area. This pleases Krell quite well, as it allows him to be close at hand to the intrigues of the land, but in a place that few travel to.

Krell’s story is one of twisting fate, and began over three decades ago when he was ordained a Paladin! He was an intensely loyal and fervent adherent to his faith; even known commonly as “Krell the Kind” for his constant donations to the poor of the land and his steadfast vows of always allowing even the most evil individuals to have the opportunity of forgiveness and redemption. His adventures were many, and he brought many evil individuals to justice; but not at the end of a sword, but in the halls of justice in whatever land he lived within. He was by no means without ability with sword and lance however! Krell was well known in tournaments as a champion jouster and swordsman.

The first turning point in Krell’s life was laid as a trap for him by a wizard he had foiled on several occasions. The wizard, named Varlhaz, was a minor mageling intent on obtaining nobility by forced marriage to a Lady of one family or another; but Krell had on two occasions prevented the wizard from magically compelling such unions on unwitting noble Ladies. Infuriated at Krell’s continued interference, he had acquired a nasty artifact to enact his vengeance upon Krell: a Helm of Opposite Alignment.

Varlhaz arranged that this magical helm be part of a suit of armor to be rewarded as the prize in a minor jousting tournament; and then ensured that Krell would win the tournament by continually using his magic to the bane of Krell’s opponents. As the wizard hoped, Krell won the tournament and was awarded the armor as one part of his purse. Krell later donned the armor, sans helmet, for the victory banquet before returning to his own tent after. Wanting to see how the full suit looked upon him, a Lady-in-Waiting (an unwitting accomplice of Varlhaz) asked Krell to don the helmet as well so that she could view her “Knight in Shining Armor” in all his glory. Needless to say, the result was tragic.

Krell “the Kind” became known soon after as Krell “the Cruel” to the people of the land. He, not understanding what had happened to his own heart, left off from his own people for many years. He became a mercenary adventurer renowned for his cruel leadership and butchery in equal measure. He eventually tired of simple-minded pursuits and, having gained knowledge he hadn’t possessed before, returned to his homeland for revenge. Though he didn’t know who had caused his fall, he had learned that only with such evil magic could he have been so changed. No longer possessing the kind heart he had before…his vengeance was swift and deadly. He knew that only someone who wished him harm directly would have used such magic on him; and his list of enemies was small.

One dark night, Lord Varlhaz, was entertaining guests in his country estate; which he had finally gained at the expense of an insipid young lady who fell for his enchantments. The chamber doors burst open and Krell the Cruel entered with his mercenary warriors in tow. It didn’t take long for all in the hall to fall either in surrender or death before Krell and his warriors; Lord Varlhaz throwing himself at the mercy of his old foe. A short, and brutal, interrogation ensued in which Varlhaz confessed before all present what he had done…and Krell summarily executed the man on the spot. Going one step further, he had his henchman Hedrik marry him to the now widowed former wife of Varlhaz the very next day who was quickly enamored of the powerful warrior.

Krell (already a Lord via his family heritage) did something few would do: he sold off the lot of his wife’s holdings! Turning the quick profit, he then sent his wife to a convent within the week and later had his marriage annulled by the same priest who had married them! With a small treasure in hand, he and his men set about finding a suitable place to make their own…Krell ending up then where his fortified manor sits to this day. He sent for servants from his father’s household which he thought might serve him best and began to build his own estate into one of strength. A fourth son, he wrote off his family after that and simply focused on his own future.

Krell has, for the past decades, become one of the most powerful individuals in the land. His private army numbers several hundred strong and is in a position that would take a King’s army to dislodge. Further, he has agents in many lands; being master of thieves and assassins alike. While no genius, Krell is a natural negotiator and manipulator because of his great charisma and insight into the hearts of others. No longer as chaotic as he was in his youth after losing his Paladinhood; Krell is still a thoroughly evil and reprehensible man. His outwardly strict adherence to the laws of the land keeps him out of trouble with the law and without trouble from other nobles of his homeland; though in other lands he is not so serene in his acceptance of laws which inhibit his desires.

Krell actually ensured his strength via the purchase of a true noble title. He arranged marriage with the daughter of a Baron from a foreign Kingdom; and then promptly had the entire family (save his new wife) assassinated. Feigning no desire to take over the lands of the family, he sold them for a “bargain” to a Count (which was fully part in the assassinations) with the approval of the Baron’s Liege Lord (who’s family Krell theoretically still owes fealty to). Still retaining the title of Baron, Krell brought his new wife to live with him and there she stayed for many years a virtual slave to his will. After “gifting” him with two sons as heirs, she passed on while bearing a third child; and Krell was none the less happy as the fortune he secured via their marriage had long before that time been invested and used to further Krell’s power.

Today, Baron Krell (his given name is Heldrath) is possibly one of the most powerful individuals in the land. He has ensured his protection via immense gifts to the Grandfather of Assassins (such gifts include supply of muscle, coin and information), owns several merchants who must pay him indefinitely due to past loans, extracts heavy tolls to use his road, holds debts from several wizards (and is currently served by the apprentice of one of these wizards), donates heavily to nearly every clerical order in the land (ensuring the good will of the Patriarchs and Matriarchs of those faiths), sponsors several bands of adventurers that he uses as subtly manipulated hit-men via intermediary agents, is the true master of several thieves which lead bands of their ilk in numerous towns and cities, and so much more as well.

If Krell wished, he could probably found his own Kingdom; but he prefers to be the power behind the scenes. Those who whisper to others of his true evil are usually the first to vanish from the rooms they rent (as those Inns are often owned secretly by him or his agents frequent them heavily) or are attacked by brigands in their camps at night. Simply put, Baron Heldrath Krell is not a man to be considered as a foe by anyone without serious consideration of what the outcome of such a relationship might be.

The Baron never leaves his home at the behest of anyone; his supposed Liege Lord is well aware of his true power and does not summon him…while the other Lords of his homeland have no true claim to call on him either. His holding exists within a wilderness area which is free from any claim but his own and no noble or royal house has made claim to the land but him. His own family died out with the death of his older brothers (one killed while in battle, and the other by a dragon which burned down the family manor…which many think, but don’t say, was sent by Krell!) and their lands were also sold off by Baron Krell. He is, in essence, a Free Lord with no responsibility to anyone (though loose claim exists that his lands belong to the greater realm).

Baron Heldrath Krell is a master villain plain and simple.

ORIGINAL CREDITS:
To Find a King by Bob Blake
Module C4, 1985 TSR

For the Forgotten Realms (with modifications to the module C4), I see this fellow in the Dales somewhere near Battledale...and perhaps someone is wanting to bring back Aencar the Mantled King.

OR

Again with modifications, he could be used after Azoun is dead as a player in Cormyr.

OR

Perhaps the best place he could be used is in either Damara (bringing back an ancient King in C4) or in Impiltur for similar reasons.

I think Lord Krell is an amazing opportunity for a villain that just needs a little fleshing out.
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Oct 2013 : 07:03:10
Had a great post...but it got blown to kingdom come for some reason.

Was about a band of street kids called "The Kobolds" led by their "Kobold King" named Vanna (an 11 year old girl).

I'll edit this later, going to bed for now...but the essence was that the group tended to pretend to be halflings with swords. Many people will hand over their gold to nearly a dozen halflings brandishing cold steel.

Vanna picks round faced street kids that she keeps fat with loot from victims. She does the talking, pretending to be a Half-Elven Wizard/Thief holding a REAL WAND of magic missiles she gained when she murdered her abusive uncle in his sleep and ran away two years ago.

When the authorities look for this band of halflings, they don't find anything but filthy kids squatting over meager fires in the slums showing no sign of wealth...but they don't realize how well fed they are...and that is Vanna's lure to kids: all the food they can eat!

More later...

EDIT:...later.

Vanna's stats depend on what version of the game you are playing.

1e/2e she is a Neutral (w/evil inclinations) human female Bandit (3 Hit Points)...yep, that simple. Her gear includes: Wand of Magic Missiles (you decide the charges) which she uses on "marks" and to threaten others who know the wands power to kill (she has killed two other children who thought to "take her on"), Boots of Elvenkind which she uses to skulk about at all times (it makes her the equal of many thieves who are in her city), Cloak of the Bat (which makes her damn near invisible when skulking about), Hat of Disguise (which she uses for her Half-Elf personality in muggings, as well as several different things from halflings, gnomes and dwarves to even taking on the guise of a bent old lady that begs for coin on the side of the street), Ring of Boccob (it belonged to her uncle and she likes it...she has no idea what it does to magical items), 2 Potions of Healing, Dagger +1 (which she only uses to cut food!, but she has learned to use it in a somewhat menacing way when she does as it cuts easily through bone...and thus she uses it to scare children), and her most prized possession: a book of spells! She has no clue how to use the spells...but her uncle was a 5th level illusionist (which is where she got the magic items she does have after killing the vile scum). Place whatever spells you think are best, but they should include spells that a coward would have and not much confrontational magic.

In 3.x Vanna would have the following: Commoner 1 (6 HP) Str: 6, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 8, Chr 15, Feats: Toughness (+3 HP) and Persuasive (+2 Bluff & Intimidate); +4 Bluff, +2 Climb (4 ranks), +12 Disguise, +7 Hide, +4 Intimidate, +3 Listen (4 ranks), +7 Move Silently, +4 Perform (Acting, 2 Ranks), +3 Sleight of Hand (1 rank), +3 Spot (4 ranks) and +3 Use Magic Device (1 rank). Vanna was formerly picking up some things from her cowardly uncle; but most of what she knows she has learned on the streets in the past couple of years. Her magic items in this version of the game can remain the same.
MalariaMoon Posted - 17 Apr 2012 : 17:44:01
You're welcome Dalor! Nice to see you haunting these halls again. I look forward to hearing what befalls those three mages.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Apr 2012 : 04:47:16
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

A Trio of Minor Magelings in Service to The Zhentarim

I’ve always enjoyed how Ed’s Realms seem to be populated by nigh endless ranks of ambitious Zhentarim wizards. One might almost imagine there is a deepspawn somewhere in the Citadel of the Raven disgorging fodder for Shandril’s spellfire or a Harper’s blade. Most of them get killed swiftly, and only a scant few of them achieve the power and status they crave. Fewer still get any personality beyond a fireball spell and a cowled robe of a darker shade.
My contribution to the villains scroll is three Zhent magelings who have thus far survived the spells and swords of their foes but whose progress through the hierarchy of the Black Network has not been stellar. They’ve been recurring foils in my campaigns, and I hope I’ve managed to inject them with a little personality. They could be encountered leading missions anywhere in the Realms where the Zhentarim has or hopes to have an influence (which, let’s face it, could be just about anywhere). Invariably they travel with a group of expendable lackeys for the PCs to butcher.

I'm actually going to be using your idea here. We just played today in our at home game, and while the party has come nowhere near encountering this trio of Zhent Magelings, I decided that I will begin weaving them into the game. One of the rumors the party came across while in Shadowdale (where we began) was that a trio of brothers came through town not only two days before the elves got there and were researching the fabled Sword of the Dales.

I'll be running the party through the modules that restore Randal Morn to rulership of Daggerdale...so thought I could spark their interest in the sword.

Thanks for the idea!
MalariaMoon Posted - 02 Mar 2012 : 05:04:55

Appearance: Cast out as she is, Theilfinnae lacks the radiance so typical of her people. Slender the elven people might be, but her limbs are stick-thin and her frame undernourished. Her naturally bronze skin has been darkened and dulled by adventure on the high seas, and faint lines tug at the corners of her green eyes and stern mouth. Wrinkles on a gold elf are rare indeed. Only in her long, raven black hair does Theilfinnae retain the magnificence of her kin, although like her it refuses to be tamed. She has a severe face upon which a smile would find no place to settle - although her old crewmates do mutter of wild, cackling laughter when Theilfinnae was chasing down a merchant ship or leaping into battle.
The Barracuda wears no armour, relying on her agility to keep her from harm. She prefers simple clothing without any concessions towards fashion or adornment – typically a plain grey silk tunic and tight leggings of whaleskin. Over this she wears her maroon cloak of minor displacement.
Personality: Those who sailed with the Barracuda described her as aloof, almost melancholy, but possessed of a wild passion when in battle. Her time landbound on Ruathym Isle has left her, if anything, crueller and more calculating. She is, by all accounts, a formidable opponent in battle – a fine and agile swordsman and a cunning shot with the bow. When she permits herself a moment of indulgence, she likes to climb to some high point (a crow’s nest or reaching turret wall) with a book of elflore and read.
History: The Barracuda is a gold elf, once of fair Evermeet, but now an outcast for more decades than most men have lived. A generation ago, she was a pirate, one of the most feared in the North. She hunted ships up and down the Sword Coast, owing allegiance to no port or flag and evading all who tried to run her down. No-one knew what drove her, and the circumstances of her exile from Evermeet are a secret known only to the elves.
Her fortunes changed some time in the Year of the Harp. She attacked a wingship carrying elves on Retreat to Evermeet. After plundering the craft for a king’s ransom in jewels and magic, she fired flaming arrows into its sails. The wingship burned down to the waterline, and every elf, even the maids and children, perished.
The Barracuda paid for her recklessness, for one of the High Mages of Evermeet had observed her wicked deed via sorcery. They say that amongst those who burned to death were a cousin and a niece of that mighty wizard. Whatever the truth, his wrath was terrible indeed. The High Mage summoned a mighty storm; a tempest so terrible that ships foundered across the Sea of Swords.
But for all the ships sunk by his vengeful winds, he failed to destroy the Lady Knave. Battered and awash to the gunnels, by the Barracuda’s sea cunning she stayed afloat and made it to Ruathym’s western shore. The Barracuda and her crew went ashore to recover from the storm’s punishment, and to cut timbers to repair their ailing ship.
Perhaps remorseful on the damage his tempest has caused across the Sea of Swords, the High Mage did not summon up another storm or some similar destructive magic. Instead, he laid a curse upon the Barracuda. When she tried to return to the Lady Knave, she was overcome by a terrible fear of the ocean. Again and again she tried to muster her will, but every time she tried to leave the land she was left helpless by terror. Defeated by the curse, the Barracuda spent a whole tenday in despair on that beach whilst the Lady Knave lay just out of reach. Either by loyalty or fright, her crew stayed with her, until a warband of Northmen found them and fell upon them, for by the King’s decree the lives of any who fell Ruathym’s trees are forfeit. The crew of the Lady Knave were slaughtered to a man, but the Barracuda was an elf and thus cunning in woodcraft. She slipped away from her attackers.
The victorious Northmen lay claim to the Lady Knave and sailed her back to Ruathym town. It took them four days, and on the fourth day they ran her aground on Narthoil’s Beach, disembarked and swore to all the ship was haunted and ill-fated. A suspicious lot are the Northmen, and the Lady Knave remained abandoned.
As for the Barracuda, for some winters it seems she lived wild in the forests, but eventually she found her way to Ruathym town and carved out a place for herself amongst the Northmen. Ruathym doesn’t enjoy the same class of rogue that a city such as Waterdeep or Baldur’s Gate can boast of. There’re a handful of lily-livered sneak thieves who survive more by luck than judgment, and even more crude thugs but The Barracuda was a raised sail to them when it came to criminality. And for all the Northmen’s bluster about honour, there’s always someone who could make use of a truly talented thief.
Although the First Axe did his best to root her out, she could only be found when she wanted to be found. She also slew two of the Thane’s favoured champions in single combat, and after that the First Axe wisely chose to ignore her. She became the unacknowledged queen of Ruathym’s paltry underworld, and following her rise many vessels suspected of pirating began docking at the Port of Swords. What the Serpent, Elaith Craulnober is to Waterdeep, some say the Barracuda, Theilfinnae Adrennore became to the Moonshaes and the Sword Coast North.
But, the Barracuda drew little happiness from her success as a backwater fence and information broker. She yearned for the sea. Eventually, in the Year of the Shield, a wizard named Vango Janathorn offered to break her curse if she was able to steal a magical tome, the Ashbook of Inthar, from the Green Rooms of Ruathym. She succeeded and Vango proved true to his word, although shortly after the Barracuda abandoned him to be slain by Northmen heroes and, rumour has it, a Harper.
Finally freed from her curse, the Barracuda reclaimed the Lady Knave and crewed her with every ruffian and ne’er-do-well in Ruathym; literally emptying every thief and thug the town could hold. Recent reports indicate the Lady Knave is sailing south, towards the Pirate Isles of the Nelanther.
MalariaMoon Posted - 02 Mar 2012 : 04:59:52
Theilfinnae Adrennore aka The Barracuda

Captain of the Lady Knave and Pirate of the Sword Coast

Female Sun Elf Rogue 8/Duellist 5
Chaotic Evil
Patron Deity:
Languages: Elven, Common, Illuskan
Initiative: +5
===================================================================
Armour Class: 17 (+3 Dex, Ring of Protection+2, +1 Dodge feat, +1 Canny Defence) 20% miss chance (Minor Cloak of Displacement)
Flat-footed: 17 Touch: 17
Saves
Fort +3 Ref +13 Will +6
Hp: 39
Speed: 30' (6 squares)
Melee +16/+11/+6 Rapier+2 (1d6+2 18-20x2)
Ranged +16/+11/+6 Flaming Burst Shortbow+2 (1d6 20x3)
Base Attack +11/+6/+1 Grapple +11
Special Attacks Sneak attack 4d6 or 3d6 + impeding, precise attack +1d6
Wizard Spells Prepared (CL 1)

0 – Electric Jolt , Flare, Horizikaul’s Cough
Abilities Str 10 Dex 17 Con 7 Int 13 Wis 12 Cha 11

SQ: +2 save vs. illusion spells, +2 listen, search & spot checks, trapfinding & trap sense+2, evasion, improved uncanny dodge, canny defence, improved reactions, enhanced mobility, grace,

Feats: Dodge, Impeding Attack, Magical Training, Mobility, Weapon Finesse
Skills: Appraise 3, Balance 9, Bluff 2, Climb 7, Decipher Script 2, Disable Device 5, Disguise 5, Escape Artist 6, Gather Information 6, Hide 3, Intimidate 5, Jump 7, Listen 6, Move Silently 2, Open Lock 4, Profession (Seamanship) 7, Search 4, Sense Motive 6, Sleight of Hand 4, Spot 6, Tumble 12, Use Magic Device 4, Use Rope 6
====================================================================
Possessions
Flaming Burst Shortbow+2, Rapier+2, Map of Refuge, Ring of Protection+2, Cloak of Minor Displacement, masterwork thieves tools, the Barracuda usually carries a number of potions, with a preference for those that heal, delay poison or allow her to fly.
====================================================================
Sources
'Magic of Faerun' details the spells electric jolt and Horizikaul's cough
'Complete Scoundrel' details the 'Impeding Attack' feat
'Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting' details the 'Magical Training' feat
The Map of Refuge is homebrewed and can be found on page 50 of the Candlekeep Magic Shop.

Bladewind Posted - 13 Apr 2011 : 14:12:55
Let me introduce to you an ambitious Selvatargtlin general, the ghost of Durec Abaeyr.

This apparition is motivated beyond death by drow superiority, bloodlust and disdain for surface races. In life he managed to track down a major sword wielded by Selvatarm, the Kingslayer sword, in the ruins of Lost Ajhuuntal. He quickly was overwhelmed by the infernal malevolence inside the sword and his wracked body was eaten alive by aranea. After his death in Lost Ajhuuntal he quickly promoted the demonic ranks in the Demonweb Pits, and became a judicator of Selvatarm by training under that gods tutelage. After completing that training he was sent back to Fearun by Lolth in a scheme to aid a certain drow settlement (mine was Lurth Dreir under the Shaar) set up a Night Crusade. This needed a humongous globe of darkness to envelope the surface region that Durec targetted. He managed to contact and get favor with 4 mayor noble houses in Lurth Dreir, who are amassing the wealth and slaves to perform the great magic ritual and the army of slaves needed to invade the surface realms above.

Durec Abaeyr
Kingslayer and soon to be crowned Shadowking of the Realm of the Smoking Star (the Shaar)
description: piercing blue eyes, shortcropped marble hair, broad shoulders and sneering voice
disposition: ice cold demeanor tanged with a scheming knack for politics, commands fear in even Matron Mothers
Quotes: "Begone. Lolth take you."
"To the surface! Let the soil be wettened in blood and the air filled with fear."
"Selvatarm judges so."

Durec Abaeyr
Male Drow Ghost (medium sized incorporeal undead) Fighter 4/ Wizard 2/ Drow Judicator 6 (Lurth Dreir)
Chaotic Evil
Patron Deity: Formerly Lolth, now Selvatarm aswell
Languages: Drow Undercommon, Common, Elvish, Abyssal
Senses: Darkvision 120ft, lightsensitivity, Spot +12, Listen +12
Initiative: +6
Speed: Fly 30 (perfect maneuverability)

Defences
Armour Class Incorporeal: AC 21 [deflection (Cha and ring of prot. +3) +7, shield (Ring of Forceshield) +2, dodge (Dex) +2 ] Touch: 19 Flat-footed: 19
Armour Class on Ethereal plane: 25 (armor +8, shield +2, deflection +3, dodge +2)
HP: 77 (incorporeal)
Saves
Fortitude +13 Reflex +8 Willpower +13
Abilities Scores (Modifier)
Strength 16 (+3) Dexterity 14 (+2) Constitution - Intelligence 17 (+3) Wisdom 11 (-) Charisma 18 +4

Attacks
Telekinetic sunder
+15 attack (+7 str check on attemp at break dc)
Telekinetic grapple
+15 touch attack (+15 grapple check)
Kingslayer ghosttouch keen bastardsword +3
To Hit +17/+12 (1d10+6/17-20)
Base Attack +11/+6 Grapple +14

Special Abilities
• Selvetarms Blessing +3 profane saving throw bonus
• Command Spiders (as rebuke undead)
• Manifestation (effect material plane)
• Telekinesis (CL 12 DC 19) each round as a free action
• Corrupting Gaze (DC 19; 2d10 hp damage and 1d4 Cha drain)
• Quasit familiar

Spells
Wizard Spells Prepared (4,4,3,2)
3rd - Haste, Fireball
2nd - Mirror Image, Alter Self, See Invisiblity
1st- Magic Missile (2x), Cause Fear (2x)
0 – Detect Magic, Mending, Message (2x)
Spellbook: as above with in addition Windwall, Magic Mouth, Levitate, Shield, Mage Armor, Read Magic, Comprehend Languages, Protection vs Alignment, Obscuring Mist, Major Image, Minor Image, Ghost Sound, Bull Strength, Bears Endurance, Knock and Tongues

Skills
(55 total): Climb 4 Ride 7 Bluff 6 Hide 10 Listen 12 Spot 12 Search 11 Tumble 2 Concentration 13 Decipher script 5 Disguise 5 Intimidate 10 Diplomacy 10 Sense Motive 3 Spellcraft 5 Knowledge – Shaar 4 Knowledge – arcana 5 Knowledge – the planes 4 Knowledge – Religion 7

Feats
•Alertness (from familiar): +2 bonus on listen and spot checks.
•Exotic Weapon Proficiency – Bastard Sword: No penalty on attacks with bastard swords.
•Improved Sunder: no AoO when performing this combat maneuver.
•Improved Familiar: Morkoth the ghostly quasit.
•Power attack: trade BaB for extra damage.
•Improved Initiative: +4 on Initiative checks.
•Scribe Scroll: Create magic scrolls.
•Combat reflexes: +2 bonus AoO's per round.
•Impetious Charge: +4 on attacks and -4 AC on a charge.
•Shock Trooper: Perform 3 special charge related maneuvers.

Possessions
•Kingslayer +3 Ghosttouch Keen Bastard Sword
•Ring of Protection+3
•Ring of Force Shield
•Cloak of Charisma +4
•1d4+1 potions (as determined by the DM)
•1d2 spell scrolls containing spells from 4th to 6th level (as determined by the DM)

Minions
• Morkoth the Quasit (ghostly familiar)
Morkoth shares an empathic link with Durec and can share spells. Morkoth has the ‘improved evasion’ ability, can deliver touch spells and has SR 16. Morkoth can assume the forms of a spider or a bat.
• T'chal the Ghostspider (ghostly mount)
Large Fiendish Monstrous Spider (8HD) can speak with Durec, has improved evasion, shares saving throws and spells with Durec

Markustay Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 18:45:43
It was actually meant as a joke, so you can do whatever you want with it.

IF I were to build upon the joke, I would make it some sort of Gondish/Tinker Gnome creation (like 'Gold' of the Metalmen) who was supposed to be a deterrent to keep that groups enemies from attacking them, and instead wound-up inviting attacks from dozen of other groups as well (because of how valuable the golem itself was).

Although the creation was probably fairly powerful, its just another example of gnomish-engineering back-firing, and causing more problems then it solved.

And that was my quick, 'On the Fly' version. Like I said, it was meant to be a joke. Gold is an excellent conductor (BETTER then copper), so I would give it some electrical abilities, amongst other things. If you really wanted to take it to an extreme, you could give it diamonds for eyes, and a giant ruby for a heart, etc...

Impractical Gnomish Engineering at it's finest.

You could even 'Frankenstein' it - have it develop sentience and then 'run away' and hide somewhere remote, because everyone wants to just chop it into pieces (including it's creators, at this point). A kind of 'pathetic Pinocchio' scenario with a twist.

Not precisely a 'villain', but you can build a story around it. Suppose a village got wind that he was hiding in the woods outside of town, and offered adventurers 1000GP to 'capture the monster' (because its worth 100 times that!) They are then faced with a moral dilemma when they learn of its true nature (technically, the townsfolk are 'the bad guys' in that scenario).
MalariaMoon Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 17:12:16
@ Dalor - thanks - Candlekeep is the only place I like being robbed!
@ Markustay - I'd like to hear more about the gold golem
@ Cleric Generic - I have an image of Mr and Mrs Vile; wondering why all their children turned out so bad when their neighbours Mr and Mrs Fortunate were so lucky with their kids
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 04:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Bane came from another world?

Ed Greenwood, in Stormlight, suggested that Bane, who used to be a mortal before he ascended to godhood, might have been born on another world, far different and far removed from Toril.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
The Sage Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 01:56:45
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden
I like that Livikus fellow...he is my kinda Banite! Perfectly willing to "ally" with some goody-goodies to get them to do what he doesn't want to do alone...a true Tyrant in training!

Cheers! The tricky bit, I find, with setting up proper villains is making them proper b@$tards without going overboard into mustache twirling cartoon villainy (unless that's the flavour of your game, obviously). I think at one point it was revealed that he used to be the adventuring buddy of one of the PCs fathers and an honourable man that loved his country, etc, but was gradually seduced by the Dark Side and lost sight of what he was defending.

"seduced by the Dark Side" I suddenly understand! We know Bane came from another world, and what little I know of Star Wars history includes the fact that there was a Sith Lord named Darth Bane... So the Bane of the Realms was once a Sith Lord! It all makes perfect sense!

"Iyachtu... I am your father!"

I'm suddenly having this image of the Realms-Bane cogitating on a divine-specific Thought Bomb.
The Sage Posted - 06 Apr 2011 : 01:29:28
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Ed Greenwood, in Stormlight, suggested that Bane, who used to be a mortal before he ascended to godhood, might have been born on another world, far different and far removed from Toril.
Cleric Generic Posted - 05 Apr 2011 : 20:12:58
I'm sure we can find room in the Realms for a bunch of spelljamming Jedi, and I can think of a few dark powers that wouldn't mind getting into bed with the Sith...
Ayrik Posted - 05 Apr 2011 : 19:05:00
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Apr 2011 : 18:54:04
quote:

quote:
I like that Livikus fellow...he is my kinda Banite! Perfectly willing to "ally" with some goody-goodies to get them to do what he doesn't want to do alone...a true Tyrant in training!

Cheers! The tricky bit, I find, with setting up proper villains is making them proper b@$tards without going overboard into mustache twirling cartoon villainy (unless that's the flavour of your game, obviously). I think at one point it was revealed that he used to be the adventuring buddy of one of the PCs fathers and an honourable man that loved his country, etc, but was gradually seduced by the Dark Side and lost sight of what he was defending.

"seduced by the Dark Side" I suddenly understand! We know Bane came from another world, and what little I know of Star Wars history includes the fact that there was a Sith Lord named Darth Bane... So the Bane of the Realms was once a Sith Lord! It all makes perfect sense!

"Iyachtu... I am your father!"
Cleric Generic Posted - 05 Apr 2011 : 18:30:05
quote:

Dalor Darden Posted - 05 Apr 2011 : 17:35:20
quote:

I've had a couple of noteworthy recurring villains in my games:

- Ibor Vokht: a sort of handler and fixer working out of a Zhentarim front in Evereska. He maintained the guise of a mid-level information broker of no fixed afiliation, but ran a sizeable opperation for Zhentil Keep, and was very good at leading excitable adventuring companies into doing his bidding. Face to face, he tended to be excessively relaxed and constantly handed out back-handed compliments and sly probes for information.

- Livikus Vile: an old, hard-line Banite who lead a small orgainsation of Banite inquisitors named the Knights of the Iron Rose, he became infamous in the group for his seemingly inexhausable supply of strange magics and spectacular minions. Wherever the PCs found some convoluted trap, it was probably Livikus that threw it at them. Eventually he became a grudging ally of the party as they found common cause in wiping out a cancer from the Church of Bane (Gargauth). His signature weapon was a huge black gauntlet that the PCs quickly learned to fear >:)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000