Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 General Book Club Discussion

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Malarick Posted - 30 Oct 2005 : 17:30:30
We can use this thread for general discussion about the book clubs. What did you like about them, and any recommendations for future novels.

Towards the end of November, we will run a poll to see what future novels people are interested in reading. That way we can plot out the schedule for the next few months.

If there is enough activity, and people are interested, we may also start to take suggestions for 'classic' realms novels which people would like to read again, and discuss.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks

Mal
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 05 Dec 2013 : 02:45:00
The Book Club scrolls for The Adversary are now open.
The Red Walker Posted - 29 Oct 2013 : 13:27:09
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll be opening the Book Club scrolls for The Adversary by Erin M. Evans sometime this week -- provided I can ever get this internet connection working again.

Excellent!....I hope to participate at some point.

Also I have to apologize for agitating for you to get The Godborn scrolls up and open, then not utilizing them(yet). I just cant justify Over $15 for a kindle book, especially when the opening book of the series, by the best selling FR author was almost $6 less.....I really cannot understand WotC ebook pricing scheme.
The Sage Posted - 28 Oct 2013 : 14:12:50
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I thought the release date of that book is December.

That may be... but Erin M Evans was generous enough to share with me the necessary chapter breakdowns -- probably knowing that by the time I do actually get around to opening the scrolls, The Adversary would have just been released.

Hehe...
Thieran Posted - 28 Oct 2013 : 11:01:28
Well, better too early than too late, right? ;-)
Dennis Posted - 28 Oct 2013 : 08:46:48

I thought the release date of that book is December.
The Sage Posted - 28 Oct 2013 : 03:07:45
I'll be opening the Book Club scrolls for The Adversary by Erin M. Evans sometime this week -- provided I can ever get this internet connection working again.
The Sage Posted - 17 Oct 2013 : 03:15:41
The Book Club discussion scrolls for Paul Kemp's The Godborn are now open.

Finally!
The Sage Posted - 16 Oct 2013 : 08:12:49
The Book Club scrolls for The Godborn will be open tomorrow [Thursday, Australian time]. I've set aside part of my day off tomorrow for getting the Book Club up-to-date.
The Red Walker Posted - 13 Oct 2013 : 04:13:24
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

Thanks RW. And to Paul as well.

I'll open those scrolls this evening.

W00t

Yes, I'll open them this evening.

It feels like déjà vous all over again
The Sage Posted - 13 Oct 2013 : 02:44:16
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

W00t

Yes, I'll open them this evening.
Firestorm Posted - 12 Oct 2013 : 22:10:56
quote:

W00t
The Sage Posted - 03 Oct 2013 : 08:57:01

The Red Walker Posted - 03 Oct 2013 : 04:16:10
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Anyways, I'll devote the month of August to rejuvenating the Book Club. I'll be contacting those scribes with access to the e-novels for chapter numbers and headings [if and when applicable], to help facilitate the structures of each dedicated chapter scroll.

Looks like a few scribes have copies of the Godborn, so hopefully we can get the info you need to open those scrolls.

Much appreciated. The Lady K probably won't get her copy of Godborn until mid-October, so I'll need to rely on those scribes who already have a copy, to provide me with the necessary chapter breakdown. At which point, I'll open the requisite Book Club discussion scrolls.

Here you go Sage :

quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Hey Paul....hope the sales are brisk!

Our friend The Sage needs the number of chapters and if there is a prologue, epilogue, etc.....so he can open scrolls for your book in the bookclub.

I'm going from the last draft I saw (I don't have author copies yet) but I think it's accurate: Prologue, 15 chapters, Epilogue.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Sep 2013 : 05:08:36
quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyways, I'll devote the month of August to rejuvenating the Book Club. I'll be contacting those scribes with access to the e-novels for chapter numbers and headings [if and when applicable], to help facilitate the structures of each dedicated chapter scroll.

Looks like a few scribes have copies of the Godborn, so hopefully we can get the info you need to open those scrolls.

Much appreciated. The Lady K probably won't get her copy of Godborn until mid-October, so I'll need to rely on those scribes who already have a copy, to provide me with the necessary chapter breakdown. At which point, I'll open the requisite Book Club discussion scrolls.

Speaking of which, she missed her annual August visit to our halls. The Hamster, he were disappointed.
The Sage Posted - 29 Sep 2013 : 03:26:17
quote:

quote:

The Red Walker Posted - 28 Sep 2013 : 16:59:09
quote:

WilsonSmith Posted - 17 Aug 2013 : 06:56:20
Great , I like the idea behind this forgotten domain. There are specific firms where we get to watch out for the elements that are forgotten and have not come across. I have some of the ideas and creative things that I want to discuss but really do not know about the process, you can tell me the process which I can move further and share some of the facts.
The Sage Posted - 24 Jul 2012 : 02:49:22
quote:

Precisely. How can one substantially discuss every chapter of a novel without going into the details?!

Didn't we cover this already?

Some folk are quite happy discussing the structure, pacing, wording, and tone of a particular chapter without discussing that chapter's SPOILER-specific content.

As Moderator, I need to find ways to cater for ALL the interests of Realms readers here at Candlekeep. And the very fact that I've received PMs from scribes who feel they can't participate in non-SPOILER chapter-specific discussions of a novel, tells me that there are groups who can substantially discuss every chapter of a novel without going into the details.
The Sage Posted - 24 Jul 2012 : 02:45:57
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

If you were to ask my opinion (which you haven't), I would hazard a suggestion that individual book club sections (i.e. threads on chapters 1-5, chapters 6-10, etc) should be free to put spoilers in, because you should expect to see spoilers there, because what happens in those chapters is what's being discussed. These should always say "Spoiler" in the title. But peeps should also post spoiler-free reviews and posts in a book club.
Ideally, I would normally agree. But I've received the odd few PMs in the past from readers who want to participate in the non-SPOILER reviews in the Book Club but don't like the idea reading/posting in the appropriate 'Chapter' scroll.

Judging from their complaints, I'm assuming that while they don't want to discuss the actual content of a particular section of a novel, they're happy to discuss the structure and pacing of a chapter as such.

It's a fine line, I know, but I like to strive toward ensuring ALL readers feel welcome here at Candlekeep.
quote:
Speaking of which, when is this getting back on its feet? I think removing all those sticky threads is the first step. I'd be happy to participate in a book club discussion of my most recent FR novel, SHADOWBANE, or its sequel, SHADOWBANE: EYE OF JUSTICE.
Very true. I'm afraid the dictates of my famed "To-Do" list have often taken precedence over my duties here at Candleekep. That, and the fact that we've seen the number of Realms novels released in the month-by-month schedule, decrease slightly, hasn't helped either. Sometimes I've even forgot there's been a release -- especially when we're talking e-books, because I just haven't been able to purchase/read them. I'm still exploring all legal options that will allow me to read Cordell's latest e-Realms offering.

Dennis Posted - 24 Jul 2012 : 00:57:57

Precisely. How can one substantially discuss every chapter of a novel without going into the details?!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Jul 2012 : 00:38:04
If you were to ask my opinion (which you haven't), I would hazard a suggestion that individual book club sections (i.e. threads on chapters 1-5, chapters 6-10, etc) should be free to put spoilers in, because you should expect to see spoilers there, because what happens in those chapters is what's being discussed. These should always say "Spoiler" in the title. But peeps should also post spoiler-free reviews and posts in a book club.

Speaking of which, when is this getting back on its feet? I think removing all those sticky threads is the first step. I'd be happy to participate in a book club discussion of my most recent FR novel, SHADOWBANE, or its sequel, SHADOWBANE: EYE OF JUSTICE.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 23 Jul 2012 : 05:11:10
quote:

I'm well aware of what a spoiler-free review is. I've written a couple myself, and even posted them in the Novels section. A Book Club is different...at least, for me. Well, in the Book Clubs I joined, all of us members DO discuss the content of the books in detail.

Eh. Most Book Clubs I've been a member of, usually have at least one member who is content to put forth their own SPOILER-free reviews on a particular book. Once we start discussing the content or plot of the novel, however, they'll usually either leave, or join another group.
Dennis Posted - 23 Jul 2012 : 04:53:51

I'm well aware of what a spoiler-free review is. I've written a couple myself, and even posted them in the Novels section. A Book Club is different...at least, for me. Well, in the Book Clubs I joined, all of us members DO discuss the content of the books in detail.
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2012 : 02:38:43
quote:

Seriously? What do they think is the purpose of a Book Club, then? Discussing how wonderful or awful the book COVER is?

You can provide a review of a book without providing SPOILERS. You can simply talk about what you like and what you don't like about a particular novel without going in depth about the plot or major developments inside.

That's what I was referring to earlier. Not all folk consider a "review" in the scope that it will definitively include SPOILERS. As I've seen recently with reviews for The Dark Knight Rises, some reviewers simply comment on the casting of characters, directorship, special effects and such, without deliberating on the plot of the film. It's a SPOILER-free review. Surely you've encountered those before, eh Dennis?
The Sage Posted - 22 Jul 2012 : 02:34:35
quote:
Originally posted by Tremaine

sad to see there's been no discussion of a novel in a bookclub for a few months

Yeah, I've kind of fallen behind in opening some new scrolls. I'll try and attempt such this afternoon.
Tremaine Posted - 21 Jul 2012 : 20:27:11
sad to see there's been no discussion of a novel in a bookclub for a few months

Dennis Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 06:26:31

Seriously? What do they think is the purpose of a Book Club, then? Discussing how wonderful or awful the book COVER is?
The Sage Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 05:03:11
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder, why do some warn of spoilers in these halls? As the intro note says: "Here you will be able to talk in depth about the novel with fellow readers, and also be able to put your questions and comments to the books author."

Anyone who visits these halls should expect spoilers. So I see no need for a spoiler warning.

It's just a matter of courtesy, I suppose. Not every scribe reads the opening post, so it often pays to remind some folk that SPOILERS can and will be discussed.

Well, I can't think of any Book Club that does not discuss a book in depth. By the name of this section itself, scribes should know there will always be spoilers.

Well, again, it just comes back to simple online courtesy, and a tradition of forum etiquette that has long been established here at Candlekeep. It doesn't hurt to remind folk that SPOILERS can and will pop up in discussions about novels.

After all, we can, and do, have novel discussions that talk about non-plot related issues -- like publishers, page-numbers, editorial decisions, marketing strategies and the like.

While those can also be included, it is a fact that a Book Club's purpose is to discuss a book in depth---the story, the characters, the plot, etc... Why wonder if there might be spoilers when one should know that there always will be spoilers.

Eh. That's assuming all folk tend to view the concept of a Book Club in the same fashion. And I know from experiences -- both here and in my personal life -- that some don't.
Dennis Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 04:24:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder, why do some warn of spoilers in these halls? As the intro note says: "Here you will be able to talk in depth about the novel with fellow readers, and also be able to put your questions and comments to the books author."

Anyone who visits these halls should expect spoilers. So I see no need for a spoiler warning.

It's just a matter of courtesy, I suppose. Not every scribe reads the opening post, so it often pays to remind some folk that SPOILERS can and will be discussed.

Well, I can't think of any Book Club that does not discuss a book in depth. By the name of this section itself, scribes should know there will always be spoilers.

Well, again, it just comes back to simple online courtesy, and a tradition of forum etiquette that has long been established here at Candlekeep. It doesn't hurt to remind folk that SPOILERS can and will pop up in discussions about novels.

After all, we can, and do, have novel discussions that talk about non-plot related issues -- like publishers, page-numbers, editorial decisions, marketing strategies and the like.

While those can also be included, it is a fact that a Book Club's purpose is to discuss a book in depth---the story, the characters, the plot, etc... Why wonder if there might be spoilers when one should know that there always will be spoilers.
The Sage Posted - 25 Jan 2011 : 04:16:12
quote:

quote:

quote:

After all, we can, and do, have novel discussions that talk about non-plot related issues -- like publishers, page-numbers, editorial decisions, marketing strategies and the like. And they'd hardly necessitate the need for SPOILER warnings in most cases. Thus, reminding scribes that a discussion may include SPOILERS, potentially prevents them from being caught unaware.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000