Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Dave Gross

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 12 Feb 2004 : 19:03:54
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Dave Gross, whos works include: Black Wolf and Lord of Stormweather from the Sembia Series.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Prince Forge of Avalon Posted - 08 May 2005 : 05:37:51
Dear Dave,

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Mistress Of The Night that you and Don wrote. It was really fun to see a True Sharan priestess and how she acted. Thanks for the read!

PFoA
Lord Rad Posted - 18 Nov 2004 : 14:44:44
Hi Dave

Being as Don worked with you on Mistress of the Night, and removed Radu Malveen from the book, are there any plans to have Radu in any future novels?

Also, are you working on anything else for the Realms at the moment or in the near future?

Thanks for your time
SiriusBlack Posted - 13 Oct 2004 : 04:58:36
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Gross
Thanks for the kind words, SB. I'm glad you liked it, and it was a lot of fun to write. Perhaps perversely, I still haven't quite grokked Lear the way I know I'm supposed to do. Perhaps if I had children it would be easier.

I had teenagers to raise at one point, so it was a bit easier.

quote:

My favorite is still Much Ado,

A fine choice. I don't think there's any harm in having a favorite comedy and tragedy as well from his works

quote:

an opinion that nearly started a pub quarrel last Friday, if you can believe it! The other fellow, naturally, fancied Lear.

Oh my, well at least you said quarrel and not brawl. Can you imagine the latter?

Prison cell

Inmate One: What are you in for?

Inmate Two: Armed Robbery. What about you?

Inmate One: Assault and battery. Hey buddy!

Inmate Three (looking up): Yes?

Inmate One: What are you in for?

Inmate Three: I got into a fight because I liked a Shakespeare comedy over one of his tragedies.

Feel free to return to Talbot's tale any day or time if the publishing Gods are kind. He's becoming a very fascinating character.
Dave_Gross Posted - 13 Oct 2004 : 03:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Thanks for "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth" from Realms of the Dragons. It was a great read.

As someone who thinks King Lear is Shakespeare's finest work, I'll never quite look at the play the same way again.

SiriusBlack

Thanks for the kind words, SB. I'm glad you liked it, and it was a lot of fun to write. Perhaps perversely, I still haven't quite grokked Lear the way I know I'm supposed to do. Perhaps if I had children it would be easier. My favorite is still Much Ado, an opinion that nearly started a pub quarrel last Friday, if you can believe it! The other fellow, naturally, fancied Lear.

Dave
SiriusBlack Posted - 12 Oct 2004 : 17:11:50
Dave Gross:

Thanks for "How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth" from Realms of the Dragons. It was a great read.

As someone who thinks King Lear is Shakespeare's finest work, I'll never quite look at the play the same way again.

SiriusBlack
stevem Posted - 17 Sep 2004 : 06:57:24
Thanks for the information, Dave. I, for one, will regret not seeing Radu in action again.

On the other hand, the epic multiple view point fantasy sounds very promising. I wish you the best of luck.

Steve Moss
Bruce Donohue Posted - 16 Sep 2004 : 17:52:30
Great and thanks Murray. Well in regards to emailing you, since your e-mail is private, send me a hello e-mail at brucedonohue@hotmail.com
Murray Leeder Posted - 16 Sep 2004 : 14:30:59
Sure, email me if you like... there's no guarantee I'll reveal much, but you can certainly try!
Bruce Donohue Posted - 15 Sep 2004 : 18:19:53
Welcome to Eastern Canada Murray and having lived in Cowtown and the Prairie provinces, which are nice too, but now you have become a dreaded Easterner with you move to Ottawa. Murray is it possible to talk to you about Semmemmon outside of this forum?
Murray Leeder Posted - 15 Sep 2004 : 14:45:50
Everybody seems to be moving to Canada, and to Alberta no less, just at the time I left for Ottawa. Best of luck, Dave, in moving to my home province. Shame it had to be to Edmonton.
Bruce Donohue Posted - 15 Sep 2004 : 14:06:12
Well it is great to here and congratulations on your new job. Great, another Canadian in the Halls of the Forgotten Realms Authors, and I agree with Don about the maple sugar but then again you are going to be living in Edmonton.

If you were located in Quebec, you could have the great stable of sugar pie and the maple sirop right from the tree. :)
dbassingthwaite Posted - 15 Sep 2004 : 01:53:58
quote:

Phil coaxed Don Bassingthwaite, about whose work I hear only wonderful things, onto the project.

Thanks very much, Dave - and if I might add, it was pleasure to work with your material and ideas. I don''t think I've ever had such fun doing research as I did reading through Black Wolf and Lord of Stormweather.

BTW, congrats on the new job with Bioware and welcome to Canada! (We will be doing regular testing to ensure you have the required blood-maple syrup level).

Don
Alaundo Posted - 14 Sep 2004 : 19:32:43
quote:

It's always a pleasure to chat with you folks. I'm sorry I haven't been able to do more of it this year.

Dave

Well met

..and 'tis a pleasure to have ye here at Candlekeep, Dave Thank ye for taking the time to keep us updated with the latest developments.

Although I do echo Lord Rad's disappointment in Radu Malveen being taken out of Mistress of the Night Nevertheless, I found both yours and Don Bassingthwaites Realms novels to be a splendid read and i'm certainly rubbing my hands in anticipation for the upcoming Priests novel
Dave_Gross Posted - 14 Sep 2004 : 18:30:59
quote:

Would this possible big fantasy novel be set in the Realms? Another shared world? Or a world of your own creation?

The latter, a setting and story I've noodled over for years, one that includes the character whose name I corrupted for Radu, as it turns out. The other possibilities, one anothing fantasy, one not, are also independent settings (the latter the real world).

Of course, I expect my new job to keep me busy, and I tend toward a busy social calendar, so I've no idea when I'll start earnest work on a new project. I hope, after I settle in to Edmonton, to make a weekend morning ritual of a few hours' writing in a coffee shop.

It's always a pleasure to chat with you folks. I'm sorry I haven't been able to do more of it this year.

Dave
SiriusBlack Posted - 14 Sep 2004 : 17:32:58
quote:
Such has been my book karma.

Thank you for giving everyone an update on the novel's contents. I'd like to add that both yourself and Don Bassingthwaite have handled the situation with a great deal of class. I know many fans don't care about that, but I always like to see it.

quote:

I'll decide on my next novel. There are three or four outlines sitting in my ideas folder, and I've been leaning toward a big fantasy novel with way, way too many point-of-view characters, even though I know that'd be pretty daunting.

Would this possible big fantasy novel be set in the Realms? Another shared world? Or a world of your own creation?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to our questions.

SB
Lord Rad Posted - 14 Sep 2004 : 17:08:19
quote:

A side effect of this change is that the chapters originally including Radu Malveen are gone. Don removed those and added his own characters--an important step in making the book his own--but kept the other half of the story in place while weaving in his new material. The result, I suspect, having not yet read the completed book, is ultimately more his than mine, and I'm grateful to him for stepping in when I had to step down.

NNNNOOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!! Tell me this aint so! Will Radu not feature in the book at all now? I've been looking forward to reading about Radu again for so long
Dave_Gross Posted - 14 Sep 2004 : 16:58:36
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Mr. Gross, I really enjoyed your story in Halls of Stormweather. Yours and Mr. Kemp's were the two best. But, now that I'm about to start reading the Sembia Series, I see that you wrote the book about Tamlin instead of Clayton Emery ... and so I was wondering why you wrote the Tamlin novel isntead of him? ...

Thanks for the kind words, Valondil. Clayt had other obligations and could not write the Tamlin novel at the time it came around on the schedule, so Phil Athans and Peter Archer asked me to consider taking it on. After talking it over with them as well as Ed Greenwood and Paul Kemp, I got some fun ideas and decided to go for it. It was a very rewarding experience, in large part because it gave me a great excuse to interact again with the other Sembians.

The same thing happened to me in reverse this year; before I finished Mistress of the Night, the rest of my life exploded with (good) activity, and I couldn't complete it. Phil coaxed Don Bassingthwaite, about whose work I hear only wonderful things, onto the project.

A side effect of this change is that the chapters originally including Radu Malveen are gone. Don removed those and added his own characters--an important step in making the book his own--but kept the other half of the story in place while weaving in his new material. The result, I suspect, having not yet read the completed book, is ultimately more his than mine, and I'm grateful to him for stepping in when I had to step down.

Such has been my book karma.

My next writing apart from Amazing Stories and the occasional review will be for the computer game company Bioware. After figuring out how much free time that job allows me, I'll decide on my next novel. There are three or four outlines sitting in my ideas folder, and I've been leaning toward a big fantasy novel with way, way too many point-of-view characters, even though I know that'd be pretty daunting.

Dave
Valondil the Ranger Posted - 06 Sep 2004 : 20:58:34
Mr. Gross, I really enjoyed your story in Halls of Stormweather. Yours and Mr. Kemp's were the two best. But, now that I'm about to start reading the Sembia Series, I see that you wrote the book about Tamlin instead of Clayton Emery (I hated his story--his writing style was just really simple and not good at all) and so I was wondering why you wrote the Tamlin novel isntead of him? I mean, I'm certain it'll be MUCH better than originally expected since you're writing it and not him.
Feiht Posted - 14 Aug 2004 : 02:06:57
Well, now I just saw on the WOTC that Mistress is slated for December.
Feiht Posted - 11 Aug 2004 : 18:59:29
I'd like to ask as to when Mistress is supposed to be released? Amazon had it originally slated for Aug 31, but now for Nov 30. The WOTC products page says Sept. I was hoping you'd be able to clear this up for us. Thanks.
SiriusBlack Posted - 03 Aug 2004 : 06:42:42
quote:
As a matter of fact, yes. Talbot returns in a short story included in Realms of the Dragons, which I believe is to be released in October.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he's doing since we last gazed upon him.
Dave_Gross Posted - 03 Aug 2004 : 05:34:38
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings Dave. I greatly enjoyed both of your Sembia books. All the characters were very intriguing. Which reminds me, will Talbot return someday to continue his prowlings as a Black Wolf?

As a matter of fact, yes. Talbot returns in a short story included in Realms of the Dragons, which I believe is to be released in October.

I'm glad you liked the books. Thanks for the kind words.
Lauzoril Posted - 30 Jun 2004 : 18:08:01
Greetings Dave. I greatly enjoyed both of your Sembia books. All the characters were very intriguing. Which reminds me, will Talbot return someday to continue his prowlings as a Black Wolf?

Valondil the Ranger Posted - 28 May 2004 : 00:01:32
But, Mister Kameron, Veronica Whitney-Robinson is already writing about Umberlee in the Queen of the Depths.
stevem Posted - 09 May 2004 : 23:41:11
"Master and Commander" is an old British naval rank. One step below Captain. It is also the title of a truly excellent book by Patrick O'Brein, which kicked off a very good series and has a passing relationship with the movie starring Russell Crowe.

I suspect that Dave was referring to all of the above when selecting his title. Personally, I prefer "Admiral of the Fleet", but then I'm power hungry and greedy. I want a share of all prize money, even if I didn't earn it

Having said all that, I am looking forward to your new book. The Black Wolf and Lord of Stormweather were the best of the Sembia series. I think they should give Radu and Tal their own series, much like that wanna be Ervis Cale.

Steve Moss
Kameron M. Franklin Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 18:11:30
*Suddenly has fears that Mr. Athans has Dave is writing an alternate manuscript for Maiden "just in case" . . .* ;)

Considering the genre that title is associated with, I'd think Umberlee would be more appropriate.
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 16:43:16
quote:
On the "mister" business, I suppose most people enjoy the formality of a title. If I absolutely must have one, I prefer "Master and Commander."

Master and Commander? Hmm, sure you are not writing about Loviatar?
CurseLord Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 05:14:35
Thank you very much for answering my questions Mr. Gro....eh Dave. Its hard to get rid of habits of how to refer to people inserted in you since your early youth.

I look foward to Mistress of the Night with more anticipation now. I am also glad that many of the characters from the Sembia series are still be used in new novels.
Shadowlord Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 04:08:35
Ah, I do hope that whatever that "something" is, it does not affect Radu that much.....
Dave_Gross Posted - 26 Feb 2004 : 23:15:28
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Moonbow
Wow! From whose side will we walk this story? I really 'liked' Radu, so I hope he will be the protagonist.

Both sides, alternately, for most of the story. Then something happens.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000