Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Films of Interest to Realms Fans . . .

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

  Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.
    

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dennis Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 09:07:09

As I understand, some scribes here are also fans of the Sorcerer Supreme, so I took liberty in sharing this great news!

Kevin Feige confirms plans for A Dr. Strange movie. A short info can be found HERE.

The actor who will possibly don the sorcerer’s robe is Patrick Dempsey, Chris Evans, or Johnny Depp. Ryan Reynolds used to be in the “possible” list, but that’s no longer true now for he’s wearing the Lantern's ring.

[Edit]

It’s been almost three years since I started this thread, and yet there is hardly any development in the plans for this film.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 08 Apr 2014 : 03:44:49
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Unless Marvel (meaning Disney) is working on getting the rights back? I could possibly see that, with Disney's deep pockets. It would not only let them do the mutant thing with those two, but they could then make other X-related movies, too, like X-Factor (gawds, I'd LOVE to see that bunch on screen!) and Excalibur. Heck, that would let them bring in a whole BUNCH of characters, like Black Tom, Alpha Flight, the Shi'ar, and others. Heck, Beast and Wolverine have both been Avengers, so that would tie in nicely. I really hope they do this eventually.
I really would love to see what Marvel/Disney could achieve with an X-Men reboot.
quote:
All that would be left would be getting Spidey back from Sony. After what they've done with the wall-crawler, I hope it happens soon. So far, I'm unimpressed with the reboot movies....
I'm just counting the days.

You and I have previously discussed how we each individually felt about the Spidey reboot in this scroll, as I recall. So I won't go back down that path.

All I will say is that, considering the first Amazing Spider-Man has, so far, been the ONLY Marvel-related-character film that I've ever actually considered walking out on [and this includes a midnight screening of Daredevil, and then later the second Ghost Rider film], I'm still attempting to find some degree of enthusiasm for the second Spidey film.

I mean, really, with what Marvel films can achieve... with The Avengers and, now, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sony really either needs to hire better writers/directors, or just sell the rights back to Disney/Marvel.
Thauranil Posted - 07 Apr 2014 : 13:45:56
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Unless Marvel (meaning Disney) is working on getting the rights back? I could possibly see that, with Disney's deep pockets. It would not only let them do the mutant thing with those two, but they could then make other X-related movies, too, like X-Factor (gawds, I'd LOVE to see that bunch on screen!) and Excalibur. Heck, that would let them bring in a whole BUNCH of characters, like Black Tom, Alpha Flight, the Shi'ar, and others. Heck, Beast and Wolverine have both been Avengers, so that would tie in nicely. I really hope they do this eventually.

All that would be left would be getting Spidey back from Sony. After what they've done with the wall-crawler, I hope it happens soon. So far, I'm unimpressed with the reboot movies....


I agree that it would be great to have all of Marvels characters in the same cinematic universe. Then at least the Avengers could use the "M" word and maybe Spidey could swing by as well. However I feel that this is unlikely to happen any time soon. there is just too much money to be made in superhero films these days.
And yeah Sony's reboot of Spidey seems to be pretty lamed so far.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 07 Apr 2014 : 04:36:29
Unless Marvel (meaning Disney) is working on getting the rights back? I could possibly see that, with Disney's deep pockets. It would not only let them do the mutant thing with those two, but they could then make other X-related movies, too, like X-Factor (gawds, I'd LOVE to see that bunch on screen!) and Excalibur. Heck, that would let them bring in a whole BUNCH of characters, like Black Tom, Alpha Flight, the Shi'ar, and others. Heck, Beast and Wolverine have both been Avengers, so that would tie in nicely. I really hope they do this eventually.

All that would be left would be getting Spidey back from Sony. After what they've done with the wall-crawler, I hope it happens soon. So far, I'm unimpressed with the reboot movies....
The Sage Posted - 04 Apr 2014 : 15:52:28
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


There are also talks that given that they couldn't work around the mutant explanation for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's characters, Marvel might tie up their powers with Loki's staff. Hmm, don't know what I'd feel if they really opt for that.

That's really the only option left. They can't specifically state that Wanda and Pietro are mutants... because that's left to Fox. So it's either suggesting that their powers originate as something connected to the strange energies already swirling in the Marvel cinema-verse, or lay the foundation that they are just inherent "super-powers." Which really won't work in the universe of these films.
Dennis Posted - 04 Apr 2014 : 06:05:19

Yeah, and it appears like they're setting up the stage for future stand-alone films of Doctor Strange, and (given what Natasha did at the end to expose Hydra) Black Widow too (the one where several "new" Black Widows try to kill Natasha, I heard).

There are also talks that given that they couldn't work around the mutant explanation for Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's characters, Marvel might tie up their powers with Loki's staff. Hmm, don't know what I'd feel if they really opt for that.
The Sage Posted - 04 Apr 2014 : 04:45:29
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

OMG! A friend just told me, and I Googled it just to make sure: Dr. Strange was one of Hydra's targets! How the hell did I miss that?!

That kind of makes *some* sense, I suppose, since Strange and the more occult-side of the Hydra organisation have tackled in the past. Not much, surely.

I would've thought Doctor Strange would be on SHIELD's watchlist. Now that's directly from the comic books.
Dennis Posted - 02 Apr 2014 : 07:15:34
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Spoilers: Moving forward, the mid-credit teaser has me all the more excited for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. Hydra has Loki’s staff and—drumroll, please—Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. I can imagine that if Tony again brags that they’ve got a Hulk, any Hydra agent will just say, “We’ve got a witch.” And knowing the kind of power Wanda possesses, I have a feeling not even Hulk stands a chance.

The Scarlet Witch has had a so-so history of contesting the Hulk's power.

My guess is, while Wanda will be able to hold her own against the Jade Goliath, it won't be for long. From what I've read, this interpretation of the Scarlet Witch will see her at about mid-strength with respect to her command of the Hex power. Certainly, the House of M-mental breakdown Wanda could basically "shatter" the Hulk into pieces, but I don't think we'll be seeing this version of her character just yet.
Most likely. I saw some footage from the shooting of Avengers 2, and it shows Wanda fighting alongside Hawkeye. That probably means for the most part, she'd be siding with the Avegers against Ultron.

If I understand it correctly, one of the reasons they're inserting Wanda is to smoothly introduce "magic" or (given that Asgardians have their own brand of magic) emphasize it for the next film, phrase 3, which, as they've revealed, will be magic-centric and where they'll introduce Doctor Strange. And I'm guessing they'll still be utilizing Wanda in the next film, and likely, the crisis will be akin to that of House of M.

And oh, I'm also interested how exactly they're gonna explain the twin's "background." Have they already got Fox's permission to use/mention "mutant" or at least "Magneto"? Perhaps they'd explain how they got their powers the way they did Cap and Bucky's transformations into super soldiers? Hydra experiments and all that?

(Sage, you may want to retain my spoiler tag in your above quote. While many don't really consider the mid- and postcredit scenes that much of a spoiler, for some, they are.)

OMG! A friend just told me, and I Googled it just to make sure: Dr. Strange was one of Hydra's targets! How the hell did I miss that?!
The Sage Posted - 02 Apr 2014 : 04:15:04
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Moving forward, the mid-credit teaser has me all the more excited for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. Hydra has Loki’s staff and—drumroll, please—Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. I can imagine that if Tony again brags that they’ve got a Hulk, any Hydra agent will just say, “We’ve got a witch.” And knowing the kind of power Wanda possesses, I have a feeling not even Hulk stands a chance.

The Scarlet Witch has had a so-so history of contesting the Hulk's power.

My guess is, while Wanda will be able to hold her own against the Jade Goliath, it won't be for long. From what I've read, this interpretation of the Scarlet Witch will see her at about mid-strength with respect to her command of the Hex power. Certainly, the House of M-mental breakdown Wanda could basically "shatter" the Hulk into pieces, but I don't think we'll be seeing this version of her character just yet.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 01 Apr 2014 : 09:47:35
Just saw Clash of the Titans(1981)...A great movie with D&D Style...For a 1981 movie i grade it 10/10
Thauranil Posted - 01 Apr 2014 : 07:20:45
The Winter solider has not been released in my country yet. But as soon as it is I am off to the theater , it sounds like a fun ride.
Dennis Posted - 31 Mar 2014 : 16:36:13

Saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier today. Wow, what a ride! I’m an instant convert. Know that I was always apathetic to Cap. Until now. Felt the first film fell short of . . . something. Even in the Avengers film, I could hardly care for Cap. But now this?

Spoilers

Really solid plot that meshes very well with the so-far-known lore of Marvel’s cinematic universe. The return of Bucky surprises me a lot. And his scenes with Steve are some of the most poignant shown in Marvel. Best friends turned enemies. Nothing new in the superhero world, really. We have Clark and Lex, Pete and Harry, and Charles and Erik, among others. As in all elements of a good story, it’s not just a sense of newness that’s important—above all, it’s how the characters are developed, how they change and yet retain that certain fabric of their personality that’s distinctly theirs and theirs alone. And that’s how we see Steve and Bucky evolve. Their last fighting sequence is nothing short of dramatic. Bucky (who turns out to be the Winter Soldier, one of Hydra’s “weapons,” altered as a super soldier) tells Steve that CA is his mission and he’s got to finish him off, and Steve, letting his best friend punch him to his heart’s content, realizing he can never hurt Bucky, just says, “Then finish it.” And then Cap falls into the river, and Bucky, despite himself, or likely truly remembering who he really is, saves the very person he once swore, decades ago, to be the one he can rely on—always.

That’s pretty much the “heart” of the plot. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Marvel movie if there’s no internal conflict involved. And in this case, it’s in SHIELD. Yes, Hydra has somehow managed to infiltrate the supposedly most secure US facility/agency. And the effects are almost as disastrous as the events in Avengers, leaving Nick Fury nearly dead.

I am glad they also give Black Widow and Nick Fury fair screen time. Despite their incredible spy skills and leadership abilities, respectively, they’re just humans. That, by default, makes them the ones that the audience can easily relate to. (Oh, and Falcon too.)

And the post-credit scene makes me smile.

Moving forward, the mid-credit teaser has me all the more excited for Avengers 2: Age of Ultron. Hydra has Loki’s staff and—drumroll, please—Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. I can imagine that if Tony again brags that they’ve got a Hulk, any Hydra agent will just say, “We’ve got a witch.” And knowing the kind of power Wanda possesses, I have a feeling not even Hulk stands a chance.
Dennis Posted - 29 Mar 2014 : 10:11:44

At long last! Hunter X Hunter: The Last Mission gets released in the Philippines!

Can't wait. I was disappointed with the first, but I have high hopes for this one, even though they made my favorite characters (Kilua and Kurapika) practically useless here.
Dennis Posted - 09 Mar 2014 : 08:03:52
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

So the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is out. Check it out Here
Frankly in spite of having read hundreds of comics I don't recall ever reading about the "Guardians of the galaxy" before but still it looks like a pretty funny movie.
There's been several different versions of the "core concept" of a Guardians team for Marvel. One from the 70's/80's. Another from the early 90's. And then the more modern renditions, which have been repeatedly revamped since their reintroduction from the earlier 2000's.

...

I like what Marvel is attempting to do with this film. And it's nice seeing that they aren't taking the concept of these so-called "Space Avengers" seriously. My only [minor] gripe so far... is the notable absence of Adam Warlock among the team. He's been a mainstay of the group in more modern interpretations. [Not the current one, though.] So it's a shame for me not to see one of my favourite Marvel characters up on the big screen for this adaptation.
When I first heard that they were going to make a GoG movie, I was rather apathetic. Having seen the trailer, however, I think I'm gonna like it, especially the humor.

I'm not sure if the general public is ready for this kind of movie though. One can say it's some sort of an "artistic" parody of superhero movies. Artistic maybe, but parody nonetheless. And while Marvel has injected healthy doses of humor in their films, ultimately, the heroes they feature are just that--heroes that do great things and are worship-worthy. The GoGs may have some semblance of these qualities, but to the core, they are more like, as that guard (?) said, a bunch of a-holes.

I think it's a fresh take on superhero movies that deserves a wide audience. I just don't think majority of the moviegoers are ready--yet.
Dennis Posted - 09 Mar 2014 : 07:50:23
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


Sort of gotten past my dislike with Liam Neeson, so I bought the DVDs of Taken and Taken 2. Wow, I loved the first (and I now I regret I missed it [intentionally] when it first came out). Such suspense kept me on the edge of my seat, like literally. Liam was very convincing in his role, and his desperation, however well masked, was so palpable you couldn't help but root for him all throughout. And the fight scenes were good, sort of like those you'd seen in Bourne.

The second movie, while not as suspenseful and in a way a rehash of the first, was enjoyable as well. I just found the last fighting scene somewhat comical. I mean, Liam was practically fighting a dwarf.

The Taken movies were surprisingly entertaining and of course Liam Neeson is a very good actor.

That said I hope there isn't a Taken 3. The story has kind of gotten old now.
Probably best if they hadn't made the second movie, as the plot somehow felt forced, even the supposed "twist." Though as I said above, I have nothing but high praises for the first film.
Thauranil Posted - 07 Mar 2014 : 13:50:53
Maybe they plan to save him for later movies. I hear that they are already planning a sequel for this one so they must be pretty confident.
The Sage Posted - 07 Mar 2014 : 02:45:43
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

So the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is out. Check it out Here
Frankly in spite of having read hundreds of comics I don't recall ever reading about the "Guardians of the galaxy" before but still it looks like a pretty funny movie.

There's been several different versions of the "core concept" of a Guardians team for Marvel. One from the 70's/80's. Another from the early 90's. And then the more modern renditions, which have been repeatedly revamped since their reintroduction from the earlier 2000's.

...

I like what Marvel is attempting to do with this film. And it's nice seeing that they aren't taking the concept of these so-called "Space Avengers" seriously. My only [minor] gripe so far... is the notable absence of Adam Warlock among the team. He's been a mainstay of the group in more modern interpretations. [Not the current one, though.] So it's a shame for me not to see one of my favourite Marvel characters up on the big screen for this adaptation.
Thauranil Posted - 06 Mar 2014 : 14:08:28
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


Sort of gotten past my dislike with Liam Neeson, so I bought the DVDs of Taken and Taken 2. Wow, I loved the first (and I now I regret I missed it [intentionally] when it first came out). Such suspense kept me on the edge of my seat, like literally. Liam was very convincing in his role, and his desperation, however well masked, was so palpable you couldn't help but root for him all throughout. And the fight scenes were good, sort of like those you'd seen in Bourne.

The second movie, while not as suspenseful and in a way a rehash of the first, was enjoyable as well. I just found the last fighting scene somewhat comical. I mean, Liam was practically fighting a dwarf.


The Taken movies were surprisingly entertaining and of course Liam Neeson is a very good actor.
That said I hope there isn't a Taken 3. The story has kind of gotten old now.
Dennis Posted - 05 Mar 2014 : 14:55:25

Sort of gotten past my dislike with Liam Neeson, so I bought the DVDs of Taken and Taken 2. Wow, I loved the first (and I now I regret I missed it [intentionally] when it first came out). Such suspense kept me on the edge of my seat, like literally. Liam was very convincing in his role, and his desperation, however well masked, was so palpable you couldn't help but root for him all throughout. And the fight scenes were good, sort of like those you'd seen in Bourne.

The second movie, while not as suspenseful and in a way a rehash of the first, was enjoyable as well. I just found the last fighting scene somewhat comical. I mean, Liam was practically fighting a dwarf.
Thauranil Posted - 21 Feb 2014 : 11:39:04
So the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer is out. Check it out Here
Frankly in spite of having read hundreds of comics I don't recall ever reading about the "Guardians of the galaxy" before but still it looks like a pretty funny movie.
Thauranil Posted - 05 Feb 2014 : 13:15:29
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis


Transformers 4: Age of Extinction Official Movie Trailer

Who needs a good plot when you have a bunch of giant angry flying, rolling, crawling, sword-wielding robots; endless gore; relentless, indiscriminate carnage; and--did I already say giant angry robots? Oh, and I love the mounts!


Ha ha no kidding, giant robo dinosaurs as mounts. Looking good Optimus.
Thauranil Posted - 05 Feb 2014 : 13:11:01
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Yeah I always felt that people were a bit too harsh about his performance in the original movie.
I thought he did a pretty decent job as agent 47.
Still the reboot sounds like it will be quite interesting.
All things considered, I'm still happy they're making another movie, reboot or no reboot.

I just hope I wouldn't be weirded out as I was when I saw Bourne Legacy, a Bourne movie without Bourne/Damon in it.


Ahh but the Bourne series was three movies long whereas we had only only Hitman movie with Timothy in it so I doubt it will have such a large impact.
Dennis Posted - 05 Feb 2014 : 11:17:31

Transformers 4: Age of Extinction Official Movie Trailer

Who needs a good plot when you have a bunch of giant angry flying, rolling, crawling, sword-wielding robots; endless gore; relentless, indiscriminate carnage; and--did I already say giant angry robots? Oh, and I love the mounts!
Dennis Posted - 05 Feb 2014 : 11:04:37
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Yeah I always felt that people were a bit too harsh about his performance in the original movie.
I thought he did a pretty decent job as agent 47.
Still the reboot sounds like it will be quite interesting.
All things considered, I'm still happy they're making another movie, reboot or no reboot.

I just hope I wouldn't be weirded out as I was when I saw Bourne Legacy, a Bourne movie without Bourne/Damon in it.
Thauranil Posted - 05 Feb 2014 : 09:56:23
Yeah I always felt that people were a bit too harsh about his performance in the original movie.
I thought he did a pretty decent job as agent 47.
Still the reboot sounds like it will be quite interesting.
Dennis Posted - 04 Feb 2014 : 07:45:06

Hitman Movie Has a New Agent 47, Homeland's Rupert Friend

I still don't understand why they're rebooting the film when the first was a hit commercially, considering the rather modest budget. I just hope that Rupert Friend would give justice to the character. The only movie of his that I saw was Pride and Prejudice, and his performance must be lackluster because I don't remember his character at all. Anyway, even though I don't watch Homeland, I've heard a couple of good reviews, and the show's going great ratings-wise, so maybe this guy's not a bad choice at all.


New Spock Joins Cast of the New Hitman Movie

No confirmation yet as to what his character will be exactly. He could be Agent 47's new ally. Perhaps an American asset (CIA operative). He was, however, very effective as Sylar in Heroes, so my guess leans toward him being the new antagonist in this reboot. Maybe one of Agent 47's old "comrades." Better yet, he is Agent 0, the Organization's prototype, their best who went rogue and was assassinated and thought to be dead, only to resurface and kill off all the Organization's agents and leaders. Good, old-fashioned revenge, as they say. Of course, that's just speculation.

I still maintain that Timothy Olyphant should reprise the role as Agent 47, but if there's anything good about this reboot, it's this news on Quinto.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000