Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seven Sigils War & Ioulaum

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Asharak Posted - 26 Dec 2010 : 18:44:55
–371 Year of Bruins: Although he has already survived for centuries, Ioulaum embraces lichdom and establishes a heavily fortified lair in the Northdark.

–489 DR to –371 DR
Seven Sigils War: Rdiuz, a Netherese domain situated along the Gods’ Legion Mountains, builds the mighty floating citadel of Meigg and marches its troops through Cat’s Gate to conquer settlements within the Outlands. Planar beings, more powerful than the archwizards, send their armies through the portal into Netheril, leading to a century of conflict.

Perhaps there's connections between Ioulaum lichdom and the end of Seven Sigils War, what do you think or know about this?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 16 Oct 2018 : 16:32:08
Master Rupert,

lol...that would definitely be true. Though, if they could get enough variables and data points, they could do a multi-variable regression analysis and at least try to determine correlation (causality is almost never on the table as you know).

Do you think or know if there are enough data points to conduct such an analysis? That would be nothing short of awesome to see something like that!

Best regards,

P.S. How did that Lego Advent Calendar turn out for you? lol

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I dunno... Knowing that two events happened in the same 365-day span isn't enough for me to assume a connection.

My wife got pregnant this year, and I got a Lego Advent Calendar -- I know for a fact those two events aren't related, but they did both happen in 2010.

Markustay Posted - 23 Mar 2018 : 18:15:19
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Like the "Upside Down" in "Stranger Things".
YES, exactly!
Brimstone Posted - 23 Mar 2018 : 17:55:02
I knew it started with a N.

Like the "Upside Down" in "Stranger Things".
Markustay Posted - 22 Mar 2018 : 23:51:32
So. like infections, there could be different types. Depending on what caused the 'world wound' will affect what type of critter shows up. Thanks for the info, guys.

So now I am thinking there is like a 'magical subverse' going one all around us, with all sorts of nasties swimming through it. Not The Far Realms - a similar concept but with a whole set of different, magic-oriented creatures (and part of THIS {D&D} universe, not a different only like the far realms or wherever the Obyriths haiiled from).

Perhaps the near-mythical Ordial Plane? Or just another aspect of the ethereal? (if you can somehow manage to 'submerge' into the deep Ethereal without leaving the Crystal Sphere, you wind up in some sort of 5th-dimensional 'basement' where magic and magical creatures dwell - a 'subverse').
Demzer Posted - 18 Mar 2018 : 14:41:27
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Rereading what I wrote above, it seems more likely, actually, that Phaerimm are attracted to 'Gate Activity' - almost as if they are 'swimming' through the medium which gates pass (we see a little bit of this in the novel Elminster's Daughter). Different settings call it different things; I believe Narnia calls it 'The Wood Between the Worlds', and in the Wheel of Time its called 'The Ways' (IIRC). There was also a version of it in Sword of Truth (it was called 'the veil', and it was more like the border ethereal mixed with shadow). In The Forgotten Realms we call it The Road of Starlight and Shadows (which I think is actually a semi-physical manifestation of The Weave itself; what would be called 'ley-lines' on other worlds).

So what if these weird, germ-like creatures are some sort of 'infection' which spreads through 'open wounds' (the Gates/Portals)? The more gate-happy a civilization seems to be, the more likely they'll attract these things.

And, of course, the Sharn are 'antibodies', but I've been saying that part for awhile now. Thus, just like in mythology, the Crystals Spheres and/or worlds ARE 'The Gods' - those are the physical bodies. Perhaps Ed envisioned his D&D universe as a giant, living organism? If we go back to the Norse myths (and FR does have a 'Great Tree'), the universe is actually the rotting corpse of a proto-Titan (Jotun). So is our entire universe just a rotting dead body in the cosmic scheme of things? Are we in some sort of infinite 'field' somewhere with ginormous alien entities watching how how we decompose?

Along those lines to a degree there's similar creatures in the yuirwood realm of the star elves... forget their names. They're kind of attracted to extradimensional spaces it seems.

Nishruu, maybe?

Nilshai. They're detailed in 3E Unapproachable East, appear in one of the Last Mythal trilogy (I think in The Last Threshold but I'm not sure) and are mentioned in other few rare occasions, in 3E. I don't know how the following editions portrayed or used them.
Brimstone Posted - 18 Mar 2018 : 03:22:40
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Rereading what I wrote above, it seems more likely, actually, that Phaerimm are attracted to 'Gate Activity' - almost as if they are 'swimming' through the medium which gates pass (we see a little bit of this in the novel Elminster's Daughter). Different settings call it different things; I believe Narnia calls it 'The Wood Between the Worlds', and in the Wheel of Time its called 'The Ways' (IIRC). There was also a version of it in Sword of Truth (it was called 'the veil', and it was more like the border ethereal mixed with shadow). In The Forgotten Realms we call it The Road of Starlight and Shadows (which I think is actually a semi-physical manifestation of The Weave itself; what would be called 'ley-lines' on other worlds).

So what if these weird, germ-like creatures are some sort of 'infection' which spreads through 'open wounds' (the Gates/Portals)? The more gate-happy a civilization seems to be, the more likely they'll attract these things.

And, of course, the Sharn are 'antibodies', but I've been saying that part for awhile now. Thus, just like in mythology, the Crystals Spheres and/or worlds ARE 'The Gods' - those are the physical bodies. Perhaps Ed envisioned his D&D universe as a giant, living organism? If we go back to the Norse myths (and FR does have a 'Great Tree'), the universe is actually the rotting corpse of a proto-Titan (Jotun). So is our entire universe just a rotting dead body in the cosmic scheme of things? Are we in some sort of infinite 'field' somewhere with ginormous alien entities watching how how we decompose?

Along those lines to a degree there's similar creatures in the yuirwood realm of the star elves... forget their names. They're kind of attracted to extradimensional spaces it seems.

Nishruu, maybe?
sleyvas Posted - 17 Mar 2018 : 19:45:26
quote:

Markustay Posted - 17 Mar 2018 : 19:33:40

Gary Dallison Posted - 05 Mar 2018 : 22:23:55
Jergal did it.
Markustay Posted - 05 Mar 2018 : 21:45:46
*** casts Raise Scroll ***

Fascinating stuff. Like Matt James all those years ago, research lead me to this thread.

I hadn't known about the Rilmani before. I also asked a question all those years ago that never got answered - I could have sworn there was a novel dealing with Netheril's invasion of the Outlands.

Because I am 'mucking about' in the past ATM (doing a 'historic' map, which is a LOT more complicated than I thought it would be), I am trying to figure what was where and when. The Grand History mentions a 'realm' of Rdiuz, while Brian (in his adventure) says that an archwizard's name. I like to think of Brian's sleight change to be a good fix - maybe a city (groundling or flying, either way) that Rdiuz ruled, and the surrounding lands were just called 'the Realm of Rdiuz' (thus, the city itself may or may not have had his name - I'd prefer to use an existing settlement, since that particular region is already crowded - the ONLY 'crowded' spot in all of Netheril).

Now, speculation in regards to this (old) thread, because I find this stuff so damn interesting: What if there were 'baby Sigils'? What if the Rilmani had a bunch of 'fortress cities' that were 'flavored' like sigil (all sorts of interesting beings), and they were called 'the little Sigils' (like a nickname)? But by the end of the war, those cities had all been destroyed. The Rilmani probably would want people to forget about that, and it would explain why they aren't there in 'modern' Planescape lore. Now the Rilmani act more covertly, having bases of operations in other people's cities, but back then it could have been very different - the Rilmani could have easily changed after a century-long, devastating war.

Next up (and I am trying to weave a cohesive storyline here), is who fought in the war? As said above, it seems to me the Rilmani themselves are small in number, but they probably have lots of 'friends', or rather, people who owe them favors. There were probably many groups that were called upon to help them (which is why I say above how 'cosmopolitan' their cities were - an attack on even one would piss off a LOT of people, because Planer types from everywhere would be present). Rilmani, to me, seem more like 'ancient spiders', in that they weave intricate webs of subterfuge in true machiavellian fashion, trying to maintain 'the balance' over the course of countless millennia. Then the completely overt Netherese arrive and just start cutting loose like bulls in a China Shop - an approach the Rilmani have problems dealing with directly. So in their typical fashion, they draw other groups into the conflict to 'balance things out' - this is where they got their troops, and just about any faction, race, group of beings, or political entity could have had people involved.

And thus, Ilsensine is called upon (he probably owed them a favor), and it provides them with some illithids forces - this makes sense, because psionics are the one area the Netherese seem to be weak in. The most devastating combatant on the Netherese side would have been Ioulaum. He probably didn't want to get involved in someone else's 'silly war', but after it stretched on for so long - and possibly planer beings had begun attacking Netherese settlements - he stepped up and stepped in, and the war started swinging heavily in the Nethrese's favor once again (after all, he is practically a demigod at this point, power-wise). Seeing their utter defeat is immanent, the Rilmani decided their accidental 'escalation' of the war was the wrong approach (they just wanted it to end quickly, but it didn't), and they come up with a new plan involving Ilsensine. The illithid power approaches Ioulaum and offers him some... information.. in exchange for his withdrawal from the conflict. Iouluam accepts, but only if the illithids also withdraw. Ilsensine agrees, but a small number of his 'soldiers' are left trapped on Toril (who become the Anauroch illithids). This bit ties a few things together, including Iouluam's sudden interest in 'things psionic'. With Ioluam's leaving the war, the sides are once-again too evenly matched, and the Netherese finally sue for peace, which the Rilmani gladly accept ('a tie' is the best possibly solution to a Rilmani).

Now, to add one lore log to this fire...
quote:
–461 DR Year of Bold Pioneers
The phaerimms begin casting the spells that eventually lead to the creation of the Great Desert of Anauroch and the abandonment of Low Netheril.

This seems to suddenly 'happen out of nowhere'. The last mention in the GHotR is WAY back in -33,800 DR!!! But do you notice this date falls out within the period of the war? Lets look at this a different way -

•The Sarrukh are HIGHLY MAGICAL and good at building gates to 'other places', and the Phaerimm show up and bother them.
•The Imaskari are a HIGHLY MAGICAL group that are VERY good at gates, and also 'visiting other places' through them, and become involved with other worlds and planes. The Phaerimm show up to pester them.
• The Netherese are a HIGHLY MAGICAL bunch who build gates/portals and love to bother other people on other worlds and planes. The Phaerimm show up and cause a ruckus.
• The Elves, Calimshan, Raumathar, Narfell, Thay, Halruaa, Nimbral, etc, etc are all HIGHLY MAGICAL cultures... but no Phaerimm ever bothered any of them.

Hmmmmmmm.... could it be the Phaerimm themselves are some sort of 'final solution' sent by someone, or maybe simply 'pointed in the right direction'? Oh, I don't know... perhaps some group of people who prefer to act clandestinely to maintain The Balance? Maybe while digging around ancient Sarrukh ruins (after all, they were sitting right on top of them!), they discovered mention of the Phaerimm, and after some sleuthing on their own, maybe they discovered 'the source'? Maybe their attack on the Outlands was more of a 'preempitve strike' on their part? They did seem to be 'allocated' to Netheril during the war.

Just poking a stick at some old lore (and threads) to see what turns up.

Cheers
Quale Posted - 11 Sep 2012 : 21:38:53
yeah, rilmani from 2e, those in Fiend Folio look ridiculous
Razz Posted - 06 Sep 2012 : 04:02:14
Oh sweet. Make sure to use Rilmani! For some reason everyone forgets how much potential there is in making use of them in the Realms (or any campaign)
Quale Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 16:30:13
Heptalogy would be enough to cover the events
Dennis Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 13:50:26

I'd be glad to see a novel or a trilogy detailing The Seven Sigils War.
Matt James Posted - 22 Aug 2012 : 13:42:21
This is an odd-bump, but I am working on some things that deal with with this topic. Research, interestingly enough, brought me home, here, to Candlekeep :)
Quale Posted - 20 Jan 2011 : 19:19:21
I've only changed how they look like, more biopunk-ish, their picture in Fiend Folio is awful
The Sage Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 14:29:57
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Well the rilmani have a talent to strategically place their agents. What are their numbers in your world?

I don't really play with definitive numbers when it comes to aspects like this in-game. But, I suppose, I'd have to say... as many as the plot may need.

Though, it's worth noting that I've made some changes to the rilmani in my campaigns anyway. Nothing population-related, but changes all the same.
Quale Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 14:16:35
Well the rilmani have a talent to strategically place their agents. What are their numbers in your world?
The Sage Posted - 16 Jan 2011 : 14:46:03
quote:

cause the rilmani don't have strength in numbers, their style is covert war, I imagine that a hundred years conflict would be straining for them otherwise ...
Eh. I don't see it.

It's largely assumed that the rilmani have taken steps to ensure the Blood War continually rages -- so that neither Baatezu or Tanar'ri gain an upper hand.

And if they can involve themselves in a conflict as far-reaching and ancient as the Blood War, then a singular war fought across a few planes and one Prime Material world, shouldn't been too much of a strain for them.
Quale Posted - 16 Jan 2011 : 12:33:24
cause the rilmani don't have strength in numbers, their style is covert war, I imagine that a hundred years conflict would be straining for them otherwise, and it proves the Netherese were competent to the point of uncovering and revealing their weaknesses

they protect the balance in various ways, sometimes the losing side needs just a nudge, sometimes it gets extreme, the difference is that the Netherese invaded their lands, usually it's the rilmani who infiltrate

maybe the illithids are a better choice for that kind of war, I don't know what primordials have to do with the Outlands
The Sage Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 23:37:07
quote:

if the rilmani were involved, it's likely that the records were destroyed

Why? The rilmani seek to protect the middle ground. They don't simply act as though something is "this" versus "that." It's all about the balance.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 18:26:18
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

It still begs the question ---

What planar beings were they fighting for that long and it never went recorded!?

It may have been recorded... But the Netherese didn't want anyone knowing they'd been defeated, so they got rid of all the records.
Quale Posted - 14 Jan 2011 : 17:21:10
if the rilmani were involved, it's likely that the records were destroyed
Razz Posted - 07 Jan 2011 : 03:29:58
It still begs the question ---

What planar beings were they fighting for that long and it never went recorded!?
Asharak Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 18:04:28
Well, when Ioulaum embrace lichdom, he's 2944 years old...

The official reason is : "since life-supporting magic and potions ceased functioning as the phaerimm’s life drain and magic drain spells permeated Netheril" (Netheril: Empire of Magic)

I always found this unsatisfactory.

For me, the Seven Sigils Wars offer a more interesting context...

Edit: thanks for the link
Ayrik Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 16:34:18
Rather than go off-topic, I'll direct this "Lost Gods" stuff to the Tyranthraxus and the Twisted Ones scroll.
Asharak Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 11:26:38
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Well, given what Brian (and Asharak) said -

Seven Lost Gods
  • Maram of the Great Spear

• Haask, Voice of Hargut

• Tyranthraxus the Flamed One

• Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud

• Camnod the Unseen

• Dendar the Night Serpent (?)

• Kezef the Chaos Hound (?)

• Some of these bad boys are primordials, elder evils, servants of Bane, etc; they may have been around during the Nether ages.

tsr 9238 Ruins Of Adventure says: "unblessed creatures imbued with the might of a magical pool. Chief among these were the great generals of the evil horde, Tyranthraxus, Edranka, and Torath. With their powers they ruled and united all else, driving forward to destroy us all." ...
    Ayrik Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 03:38:15
    Well, given what Brian (and Asharak) said -

Seven Lost Gods
  • Maram of the Great Spear

• Haask, Voice of Hargut

• Tyranthraxus the Flamed One

• Borem of the Lake of Boiling Mud

• Camnod the Unseen

• Dendar the Night Serpent (?)

• Kezef the Chaos Hound (?)

• Some of these bad boys are primordials, elder evils, servants of Bane, etc; they may have been around during the Nether ages.
    Markustay Posted - 30 Dec 2010 : 03:14:53
    Isn't their an 'Arcane Age' novel (or series) that covers that altercation?
    Zireael Posted - 29 Dec 2010 : 17:44:25
    quote:
    Originally posted by Asharak

quote:
    Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

With a name like Seven Sigils War, I'd assume that the Seven Sigils were either a group on one side or the other (perhaps 7 Netherese dudes got together and got expansionist), or that the Seven Sigils referred to some bit of magic that was integral to the war -- perhaps seven particular spells that opened the gate, or that were cast by one side or the other to particularly devestating effect.

Or perhaps Seven Lost Gods...

quote:
    Additionally, the Seven Sigils War is used as the historical backdrop for the adventure Monument of the Ancients in Dungeon 170. Within you learn that the Netherese summoned elementals to counter the immortal invasion from the Outlands, unwittingly releasing the primordial #65533;Lost God#65533; Maram of the Great Spear upon Faerűn.

So what about the other Six, because I have a hunch they were somehow involved too...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000