Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The greatest love story in the Realms?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jelennet Posted - 25 Dec 2010 : 10:27:31
I enjoy reading fantasy stories about love. Drizzt has fallen in love with Cattie-brie, Liriel with Fyodor, etc. So what is the greatest love story in the Realms and why?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 14 Apr 2012 : 21:15:44
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

Arilyn and Danilo

My second favorite after Elaith and Amnestria. Dan and Arilyn are as different in personality as water and fire, yet they work really well together. Dream Spheres was a good example of this.
Dennis Posted - 10 Apr 2012 : 06:12:08

It's more than the simple Beauty and the Beast, where both characters lived happily ever after...For Dorn and Kara, there's no ever-after at all.
Thrasymachus Posted - 08 Apr 2012 : 05:59:10
Arilyn and Danilo
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 06 Apr 2012 : 23:57:01
And yet, Dorn did not even KNOW Kara was a dragon until almost half-way into the story. by then, he had already grown interested in her- and not because of her boobs. In doing so, he showed another side- the worthy, honorable, and gentle side- that he rarely allowed anyone to see, not even his companions. Yes, he was pretty much a bigot, but when he finally found out who or WHAT she really was, it made him start to think. And he changed. That's why their story was actually not so much of a clichee. Beauty and the Beast, maybe a little, but I'd still see it as more like an episode of TNG with Data learning something about love.
Lord Karsus Posted - 06 Apr 2012 : 17:26:56
quote:
Originally posted by Xnella Moonblade-Thann

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Amnestria Moonflower and Elaith Craulnober. Very bittersweet.

Especially considering that Elaith was "betrayed" as he saw it when Amnestria went with Bran, and Elaith doesn't know that he has a son from Amnestria.

-And the fact that he is so "close" with Arilyn, who, in another alternative universe where Amnestria and him stayed together, could be his own daughter. Every time he'd see Arilyn, he's got to see Amnestria in her, and then think of the 'what could have beens'.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 06 Apr 2012 : 10:44:04
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

Especially considering that Elaith was "betrayed" as he saw it when Amnestria went with Bran, and Elaith doesn't know that he has a son from Amnestria.
Lord Karsus Posted - 04 Apr 2012 : 15:31:06
Thauranil Posted - 04 Apr 2012 : 15:12:56
Well I kind of liked Ilsevele Miritar and Fflar Starbrow's romance.
sleyvas Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 12:10:29
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

For no-one to have suspected a thing for years means she was either the Realms greatest actress, or something about 'him' never gave any clue.

That's all I am saying.

Perhaps I am reading too much into it - I do have a tendency to over-analyze everything.

I don't mean for any of that to be 'a canon fact' - that was just IMHO of that particular situation. Considering how little we have to go on, anyone can spin it any way they want in their Realms. I have absolutely no plans to ever use those two, but I just felt like relating my own assessments of them, considering I used them as my answer to this thread. I also don't find anything 'wrong' with them, AT ALL, quite the contrary - just two people who fate threw together, who managed to find love in the face of adversity.

I just thought that was kinda... special.

Illusions, shapechanging magic, and simple aloofness can do wonders in the realms for impersonation that we could never accomplish in our world. Just saying.
Aulduron Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 03:14:10
I'm not sure who wrote each of the couples mentioned, but it looks like Ms Cunningham is the most romantic author in the realms. I also liked the way she wrote Zaor and Amlaruil.

Icelander Posted - 03 Apr 2012 : 02:09:59
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Clicheed? Just how many stories on dragon-slayer/dragon love affairs have you read, dennis?! Personally, I loved it. And her being afflicted with the Rage made it more desperate and almost tragic. And Dorn was interesting to me, because his entire persona was tied up in his perceptions of himself as a monster- not unlike the ones he hunted. The physical difficulties of such a relationship alone was enough to hook me in. (I imagine it as like Data or Hugh(Borg) falling in love with a human- except that in this case, there isn't even the possibility of a physical union.)

Beauty and the Beast is cliché. Doesn't matter whether you make his curse 'ironic' rather than give him tusks. Falling in love with a representative of your soul's hate is also cliché. The fact that two cliches are mixed together doesn't make them less cliché.

Granted, things can sound trite and overdone when reduced to their simplest parts. Good writing lies not only in unique ideas, but in how something is presented. Unfortunately, the way that Dorn and Kara were presented, it felt terrible.

I know love is blind, and all, but how was it made in any way plausible that Kara should fall for the monstrously ugly man with the manners of a brute, who treated her like garbage? He had less charm than the typical orc, his conversational skills were abysmal, his self-image was defined by bigotry and lust for revenge against people like her, etc.

Nothing in the story made it even remotely plausible that Kara would see anything in Dorn. She appeared to be interested in him solely because he was the hero of the story and therefore contractually obligated to get the girl. No matter that he had previously spent a lifetime hunting down people like her for money, because he believed that they were beasts who did not deserve to live.

Bigotry is a challenging subject for novelists and overall, I applaud giving heroes negative traits, because in real life, people who do heroic things are not necessarily nice people about everything. But when the story basically makes every character flaw, even fanatical hatred for everything the other person stands for, equivalent to leaving the toilet seat up in sit-coms, i.e. something that causes one argument and then goes away as soon as no one mentions it again, it feels cheap and it rings false.

A lot of things aren't easy to fix. And a lot of mental trauma, not to mention a lifetime of hate, leaves behind a personality shaped by it. While it's good to acknowledge a change in attitudes, that doesn't mean that it's a good idea to jump into bed with the [insert a name of your favoured group of people dedicated to racial bigotry] as soon as he is willing to admit that you're one of the good ones. Baby steps, you know.

Not to mention that the world is full of people who didn't think that genociding everyone who had the same blood as you was a great idea until you showed them your boobs. And who might have manners, charm, a sense of humour, an appreciation of the arts, something in common with you, hobbies other than hating your people and learning how to best slay them, or some quality that made them worth dating. You know, something to base a relationship on. At least she could have found someone funny.

Nevermind Dorn's looks. Any way you cut it, in a romantic sense, he was pretty much the least appealing main protagonist I've ever heard about. It may be just be, though I don't think it is, but self-loathing and passive-aggressive resentment against everyone else are not attractive qualities. Nor is a complete lack of self-confidence.
Zireael Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 19:40:06
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

That's in The Parched Sea, right?

Yeah.
Dennis Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 15:10:39
That's in The Parched Sea, right?
Zireael Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 13:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by Hooch9

Though it was short lived (about a day of real love), the story between Lander and Ruha from "The Parched Sea" was pretty good. I've yet to read any other love stories in Forgotten Realms.

It was. Whose brilliant idea it was to kill Lander off?
Hooch9 Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 10:35:30
Though it was short lived (about a day of real love), the story between Lander and Ruha from "The Parched Sea" was pretty good. I've yet to read any other love stories in Forgotten Realms.
Dennis Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 05:09:26
Perhaps, given enough story time, Alassra and that Red Wizard whom Mythrellan enthralled and used to try to kill The Simbul.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 29 Dec 2010 : 23:04:12
Ah! I knew I got the name from somewhere!! Must have mixed the ladies up. Hope they didn't mind, lol!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2010 : 22:20:10
quote:

Yeah, I don't know why I thought it was Myrna. It's kind of an odd name, though. It's been some time since I read Evermeet, lol!

Myrna is another character that pops up in the Danilo and Arilyn books -- Myrna Cassalanter, the self-appointed gossip columnist (minus an actual printed column, of course!) of Waterdeep.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 29 Dec 2010 : 19:57:28
Yeah, I don't know why I thought it was Myrna. It's kind of an odd name, though. It's been some time since I read Evermeet, lol!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2010 : 03:14:30
quote:

I could swear I did, but I could be wrong. Or it could be a really old one. BTT: How about Lamruil and Myrna?

I think you mean Maura.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 20:51:05
I could swear I did, but I could be wrong. Or it could be a really old one. BTT: How about Lamruil and Myrna?
Therise Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 08:38:08
Wait wait wait... is someone saying there was a movie that had Patrick Steward with a full head of hair? How did I miss this, and which movie?

Zireael Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 08:36:09
Back to the topic: Shandril Shessair and Narm Tamaraith.
Ayrik Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 06:16:25
It's been a while since you saw Ahab or since you saw Patrick Stewart's hair?

I'm still astonished that he's got a typically unathletic nerd torso set atop a strapping bulging pair of He-Man bulldozer legs. Huh? Did the guy do nothing but go to the gym to vent his British rage on mega leg ripping press/crunch stuff? Could only afford one piece of exercise equipment at home?
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 28 Dec 2010 : 05:39:27
LOLOLOL!!! Ugh, where did you dig THAT up?! I was thinking more of Ahab from Moby Dick. I think he had hair in that- could be wrong. It's been a while since I saw it.
Ayrik Posted - 27 Dec 2010 : 09:35:29
quote:
Alystra Illianniis

... I always tend to picture Elminster as somewhat like Patrick Stewart- but with hair.... Or perhaps Sean Connery?
Elminster with a Sean Connery accent, lol ("Damm you and your daily doubles you brigand! One day it'll be my turn, Manshoon!")

quote:
Kajehase

Having I Claudius on DVD, let me just say that I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart with hair (or rather, a very dodgy whig) may not be the sexiest thing you've laid eyes on.
lmao, I did guffaw at this, and present it for the ladies.
Dennis Posted - 27 Dec 2010 : 06:52:00
I think Japheth and Anusha also deserve an honorable mention. An addict and a spoiled daughter. Kinda unexpected.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 27 Dec 2010 : 06:45:49
Clicheed? Just how many stories on dragon-slayer/dragon love affairs have you read, dennis?! Personally, I loved it. And her being afflicted with the Rage made it more desperate and almost tragic. And Dorn was interesting to me, because his entire persona was tied up in his perceptions of himself as a monster- not unlike the ones he hunted. The physical difficulties of such a relationship alone was enough to hook me in. (I imagine it as like Data or Hugh(Borg) falling in love with a human- except that in this case, there isn't even the possibility of a physical union.)
Dennis Posted - 27 Dec 2010 : 06:35:35
Shouldn't we also mention the Realms' Worst Love Story?! My vote goes to Dorn and Kara. I like most of Richard's books, but the YoRD series is the least. And Dorn is one of the most unconvincing characters I've ever encountered.

Dorn and Kara's love story is an irony---and a cliche so tiring to read again and again in numerous fantasy books.
Kajehase Posted - 27 Dec 2010 : 06:01:47
quote:

Interesting. And probably true. For some reason I always tend to picture Elminster as somewhat like Patrick Stewart- but with hair.... Or perhaps Sean Connery? Either way, he's got that smexy quality I always associate with older Brit guys!!

Having I Claudius on DVD, let me just say that I'm pretty sure Patrick Stewart with hair (or rather, a very dodgy whig) may not be the sexiest thing you've laid eyes on.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000