Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Character races

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Synthalus Posted - 17 Dec 2010 : 16:44:30
which player character race is your favorite?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 09 Feb 2014 : 22:00:32
I voted planetouched, because I like playing aasimar and tiefling characters (and the occasional genasi every once in a while), but I also really like elves (especially drow), half-elves, half-dragons, dragonborn, dwarves, humans, minotaurs, half-orcs, shifters- actually, it would probably be easier to list what character races I don't like, but none immediately come to mind.
Gyor Posted - 09 Feb 2014 : 14:49:14
I voted planetouched (I include Shadar-Kai as planetouched because in essence they are), but I also like the other planetouched races like Aasmir, Tieflings, Genasi.

None planetouched playable races I like are Doppelgangers/Changelings, Satyrs, wemics, Shades, and Vyrloka.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 09 Feb 2014 : 04:03:15
Humans. I did enjoy a few minotaur characters as well.
The Arcanamach Posted - 09 Feb 2014 : 03:23:44
Just voted half-elf, but I also love elves, drow, humans and dwarves.
Plaguescarred Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 09:52:16
I always preferred halflings and dwarves, so the stout folk got my vote!
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 08:45:57
I chose elves, although I have many other options. But elves draw to me most and I to them due to their aptitude for magic. Their natural affinity for it, and how they feel with more intensity than other races. Just draws me to them more so than other races.
Lunarbeams Posted - 26 Nov 2012 : 18:03:37
My favorite char races are the elves. I like the sub-races and simply because some are more formal and rigid than others. All my chars tend to be eccentric and go against the grain of what is expected their races.
Thelonius Posted - 10 Sep 2011 : 09:57:43
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It seems like Gygax's halflings were clearly inspired by Tolkien's hobbits. I could understand halfling public image being hurt by the depiction of Frodo in some of the awful LotR cartoons of past eras, although the recent LotR (and forthcoming The Hobbit) movies depict hobbits in a moderately cool manner.

Perhaps though I find Frodo really annoying in the movies far more than in the book, Sam, Merry and Pippin on the other side are by far my fav chars in that saga...
Drakul Posted - 10 Sep 2011 : 09:34:00
Voted other because Drow is not one of the options.
Ayrik Posted - 10 Sep 2011 : 09:31:52
It seems like Gygax's halflings were clearly inspired by Tolkien's hobbits. I could understand halfling public image being hurt by the depiction of Frodo in some of the awful LotR cartoons of past eras, although the recent LotR (and forthcoming The Hobbit) movies depict hobbits in a moderately cool manner.
Thelonius Posted - 10 Sep 2011 : 08:53:03
I'd go for halflings and gnomes. I got a nick for the small races (take out dwarves that simply I found them too "plane"). Always liked the behaviour of halflings, the ones I play use to act somehow like kenders (another race I love). Though I have to say that Frodo Baggins hurt a lot halfling publical image ... Always enjoyed playing my halfling char, a wizard traveler fond of pipe smoking...
Dennis Posted - 10 Sep 2011 : 04:33:53

Gnomes? Shouldn't they stay as garden ornaments?
The Sage Posted - 10 Sep 2011 : 02:06:34
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Well, since I started using Beznik seriously in-game, I'm really enjoying gnomes, too. That cantankerous little wizard clutz is so much fun to play!

Gnomes are my favourite player-character race in most campaign settings. They're among my first race-type for character choices, and they've a more defined presence in my Realms. In fact, the whole "Forgotten Folk" trend that ran through most of the earlier editions of the FORGOTTEN REALMS with respect to the gnomish people is, essentially, a "forgotten" trend itself now.
The Sage Posted - 10 Sep 2011 : 02:05:06
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

I was absolutely shocked that "Wemics" were not on the list! ;)

Wemics are an underused race in the Realms.

Fortunately, I've instituted methods which will turn that around in my Realms by developing plans for a sustained wemic-nation in the Vilhon Reach, given the details in that region-specific tome and info from DRAGON #157.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 23:25:22
Well, since I started using Beznik seriously in-game, I'm really enjoying gnomes, too. That cantankerous little wizard clutz is so much fun to play!
Farrel Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 22:35:27
I voted humans, mainly due to the fact that I can relate to them and my current character is a human Fighter who I think is amazing.

I did have an Elven character though, a Ranger/Cleric of Solonor, who I still think about alot.

I will admit that I did enjoy playing a Human Sorcerer/Cleric/Mystic Theurge of Bhaal, he enjoyed his work, and it was my first truly evil character.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 09 Sep 2011 : 22:12:48
I was absolutely shocked that "Wemics" were not on the list! ;)
Dennis Posted - 30 Jun 2011 : 07:52:48

Nope. Nothing's wrong with it at all. The weak suffer at the hands of the strong. The strong thrive in the submission of the weak. All's happy.
ChieftainTwilight Posted - 30 Jun 2011 : 06:09:46
what's wrong with slavery? seriously, I still have yet to hear a truely convincing answer as to what is wrongwith the practice of slavery itself; merely exampls of how it was misused, or claims of an abusive system that I'm able to point out realy isn't different from the way of the world even where slavery is outlawed.
skychrome Posted - 30 Jun 2011 : 04:06:44
Voted humans. I used to prefer elves and later half elves. But ultimately y feel I can better identify with human characters and their versatility.
MisterX Posted - 29 Jun 2011 : 14:05:31
Voted "other", since I always loved to play drow (as Alystra said, they deserve a category on their own ;) ). Since most groups wouldn't allow me to play a follower of Lolth (since I AM capable of combining evil alignment and wits) I play humans, most. The main reason for that is that I don't have to concentrate on racial traits while roleplaying (I'm very used to be a human, so it's pretty easy playing one ;D ) and that they're all versatile.
Dennis Posted - 29 Jun 2011 : 12:20:39
quote:

Agreed. Besides, wouldn't that count as slavery? Tsk, tsk....

I'm a zulkir. So it matters not.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 27 Jun 2011 : 17:23:30
Agreed. Besides, wouldn't that count as slavery? Tsk, tsk....

@Wooly. *sigh* Sadly, I never found the boxed set. Did not even know there was one until years later, by which time TSR had become WotC, and we were well into the 3rd ed era.
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 Jun 2011 : 17:12:45
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

They are lovely pets.

-Methinks the Half-Dragon wouldn't particularly appreciate that.
Dennis Posted - 26 Jun 2011 : 02:09:46
quote:

What about half-dragons? Where's the love for them? And I'm talking about the original 2nd ed ones, where it had to be a true shape-shifting type of dragon to produce one, and was thus limited to the three strongest metallic races, as well as deep, steel, and song dragons. I bought the Council of Wyrms book when it first came out, and I've loved the half-dragons ever since. I was appalled at what 3rd and 4th ed did to them visually. They basically became two-legged dragons with hands instead of claws.... I prefer the more humanoid appearance they originally had.

They are lovely pets.
The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2011 : 06:36:17
quote:

What about half-dragons? Where's the love for them? And I'm talking about the original 2nd ed ones, where it had to be a true shape-shifting type of dragon to produce one, and was thus limited to the three strongest metallic races, as well as deep, steel, and song dragons.
Song dragons are my favourite of the various "wyrm-types." In fact, some of the most prominent NPCs in my 20+ years' worth of Realms campaigns, have been song-dragons.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Jun 2011 : 05:28:16
quote:

What about half-dragons? Where's the love for them? And I'm talking about the original 2nd ed ones, where it had to be a true shape-shifting type of dragon to produce one, and was thus limited to the three strongest metallic races, as well as deep, steel, and song dragons. I bought the Council of Wyrms book when it first came out, and I've loved the half-dragons ever since. I was appalled at what 3rd and 4th ed did to them visually. They basically became two-legged dragons with hands instead of claws.... I prefer the more humanoid appearance they originally had.

As mentioned previously, I concur. Though I bought the Council of Wyrms as a boxed set, first, and got the book much later.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 25 Jun 2011 : 04:59:07
The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2011 : 01:42:09
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Half-Golem Pseudonatural Vampiric Gnomes...
I wouldn't mind hearing more about them.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 24 Jun 2011 : 22:16:46
Half-elves. Kinda hard for me not to love them, especially since that's what got me into D&D in the first place. I think it's cool that, in time, they learn to walk among both the human and elven worlds, although among polite elven society they may not be warmly welcomed. Plus the fact in pathfinder they are more like a true hybrid of elf and human makes them more appealing to me.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000