Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 14 Jul 2010 : 01:53:58
Well met

This being another collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Elaine Cunningham, whos works include: Elfshadow, Elfsong, Daughter of the Drow, Tangled Webs, Windwalker and of course Evermeet: Island of Elves, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ElaineCunningham Posted - 28 Sep 2014 : 01:42:30
No worries. :)
sleyvas Posted - 27 Sep 2014 : 09:51:31
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

huh, I love that quote of Einstein's. Where'd you find it? I really need to read more about him. I remember someone talking about him an the fact that it was raining, so he took off his hat and put it under his jacket. When asked, he commented that his hair would dry, but his hat would ruin.

Heh. I don't recall where I first heard that quote, but to get the wording right, I Googled "Einstein, everyone's a genius" and it popped up.

well, you set me off on a quest. Great page here.

http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html

Love this one
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Please forgive me for hijacking the thread for a bit.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 27 Sep 2014 : 02:25:26
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

huh, I love that quote of Einstein's. Where'd you find it? I really need to read more about him. I remember someone talking about him an the fact that it was raining, so he took off his hat and put it under his jacket. When asked, he commented that his hair would dry, but his hat would ruin.

Heh. I don't recall where I first heard that quote, but to get the wording right, I Googled "Einstein, everyone's a genius" and it popped up.
sleyvas Posted - 27 Sep 2014 : 01:30:33
Fellfire Posted - 26 Sep 2014 : 04:46:27
As always, Milady, my graciousness flows like a river inundated by the monsoon
ElaineCunningham Posted - 26 Sep 2014 : 00:04:41
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

This may be a stretch, but I'm not asking for a rules rundown. How would you describe ''dragonfear''? I reread ''Games of Chance'' and am fascinated by this power of the Craulnober moonblade. Can you expand upon this?

Here's a quote from the FR Wiki entry on dragons: (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon)

Older dragons can cast draconic magic, such as spells with just a few words, and oftentimes they don't need long and complex ritual involving words, gestures and components like other wizards, and they radiate a mystical fear aura around themselves.

The Dragonfear ability of the Craulnober moonblade mimics this innate draconic ability. It comes from a time when wielders were dragon riders. It is an insanely powerful ability, which is one of the reasons the Craulnober moonblade has not had a wielder for several generations. Elves can elect to pass on this inheritance if their particular talents, strengths, and personalities are not well suited for the family moonblade. As as Elaith's history demonstrated, his were not. He might have "grown into" the sword, had he waited a few decades and faced a few uncomfortable truths. But his particular history fostered neither patience nor perspective.

Elaith was orphaned as a baby, so he missed out on the sort of family stories that might have enabled him to honorably take a pass. Not having family made him eager to claim what remained of his heritage. As the last of his line, he simply assumed the sword was his to claim. And since he was good at just about everything he attempted, he never considered the possibility of failure.

His inability to claim the family blade shattered his sense of worth. It shouldn't have. As Einstein famously observed, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Fellfire Posted - 25 Sep 2014 : 23:37:31
Shaiza. Sorry for the double post. My tablet is just begging to be bricked through the window.
Fellfire Posted - 25 Sep 2014 : 23:35:05
This may be a stretch, but I'm not asking for a rules rundown. How would you describe ''dragonfear''? I reread ''Games of Chance'' and am fascinated by this power of the Craulnober moonblade. Can you expand upon this?
Barastir Posted - 21 Sep 2014 : 03:21:42
Wonderful, Mrs. Cunningham! Always good to see your writings, especially on Realmsian characters.
Fellfire Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 13:07:21
Thanksamillion Elaine. You are the best. I'll keep my fingers crossed and wish upon a star that we see that tale someday.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 03:14:30
Okay, I took a quick look at the story, and it would seem that my memory is faulty where Tincheron's appearance is concerned. He's described as a tall elf with golden eyes in a narrow, angular face covered by tiny silvery scales.

So. A few details. His eyes are the color of light amber. This seems to be a family trait, because Elaith, Azariah, and Neesha, Tincheron's daughter, all have variations on that hue. Tincheron's pupils would be vertical, like a reptile's. The scales on his skin would be very small and subtle, the texture more like a pattern on the skin than actual scales. That said, his scaly skin would provide a natural armor (similar to leather, though, rather than scale mail.) Other than his eyes and skin, he appears much like any other elf, though he is considerably taller--about 6'5. He is broad through the shoulders, slim build, long legs. He is faster than his size would suggest. And yes, his dragon-great-great-great-grandaddy was silver. No ritual other than polymorph was involved.

He and Elaith are related through the Sinsi Craulnober, the moon elf dragonrider who bore Vinisharza, a half-elven daughter, to her dragon partner, whose name I'd rather not attempt to spell. Elaith and Tincheron are related through Sinsi's mother, also a dragon rider, who wielded the Craulnober moonblade and passed it down to her firstborn son, Sinsi's older brother Since the generations in their respective lineage don't line up precisely--as is to be expected, considering the long lifespans of elves and dragonkin--Elaith and Tincheon are technically fourth cousins thrice removed. It's not a very close connection. Elaith didn't know about this branch of the family until he met Tincheron under interesting circumstances. And no, there is no story written about that. Maybe some day!
Fellfire Posted - 16 Sep 2014 : 02:05:18
Any chance of somewhat thinner strokes, please?
Fellfire Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 20:29:42
Games of Chance, if memory serves that was in Dragon Mag and involved a Shaper of Gond and the Craulnober Moonblade. I don't recall much of a description from that story, but I will dig it up. In the meantime, if you should think of anything more, please share it. I'm guessing that the dragon-daddy (or mama) was a Silver, or perhaps some sort of ritual like the one that created the Forestlord Elves of the Keleidsa clan.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 20:17:55
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Hi Elaine,
Tincheron has long been one my favorite supporting characters of yours. I'm always excited when I see his name in print. I would love to read a short story devoted to him, anyway, I know that in the past I have asked if you if you had started him out, in any edition. Sadly, no. This time I wonder if you could elaborate on his appearance a little. How draconic are his features? Does he have pointy teeth? Ears, horns, hair? Are his eyes slitted or round, what color are they? That kinda thing. I hope all is well and I anxiously await your reply.

+1 on the Elaith-centric novel.

Hi, Fellfire.

To be honest, I'd have to go back and reread "Games of Chance" to refresh my memory. In broad strokes, though, I always pictured him as an elf with dragon blood in his distant background--five, maybe six generations back. He and Elaith have a very minor degree of kinship, and for the record, Elaith does not have a draconic ancestor. :)

Fellfire Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 20:02:51
Hi Elaine,
Tincheron has long been one my favorite supporting characters of yours. I'm always excited when I see his name in print. I would love to read a short story devoted to him, anyway, I know that in the past I have asked if you if you had started him out, in any edition. Sadly, no. This time I wonder if you could elaborate on his appearance a little. How draconic are his features? Does he have pointy teeth? Ears, horns, hair? Are his eyes slitted or round, what color are they? That kinda thing. I hope all is well and I anxiously await your reply.

+1 on the Elaith-centric novel.
DenverJack Posted - 05 Sep 2014 : 21:57:29
Elaine, when you have those kinds of backstory ideas do you formally write them down, or more just have them in your head as ideas to draw from?
The Masked Mage Posted - 04 Sep 2014 : 01:41:11
Everyone would be in all the way. I think if Elaine ever granted that wish, it would quickly become pretty much everyone's favorite FR book.
DenverJack Posted - 03 Sep 2014 : 22:26:52
Probably unlikely, but I'd be in all the way!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Sep 2014 : 22:08:28
quote:
Originally posted by DenverJack

Awesome- thank you! The backstory on Elaith would probably make for a great trilogy, as the dagger story alone would be very interesting.

Thanks for the replies, and for all the enjoyment your stories have brought!

Ooh, I like that idea -- a book called The Serpent, written in a style similar to Evermeet and Cormyr, but focused entirely on Elaith Craulnober! That would be awesome!

And it's highly unlikely, but we can dream...
DenverJack Posted - 03 Sep 2014 : 21:18:02
Awesome- thank you! The backstory on Elaith would probably make for a great trilogy, as the dagger story alone would be very interesting.

Thanks for the replies, and for all the enjoyment your stories have brought!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Sep 2014 : 18:30:11
quote:

Thank you very much for the reply!

Was it a spell cast by Elaith, or a power of the dagger he used? I won't pry any deeper than that. :)

I've enjoyed your books greatly, and to get the reply directly from you is awesome - thanks again!

Elaith cast the spell--one he learned through extreme measures and then modified--but yes, the dagger itself played a part.

There's always backstory to a novel--unwritten details that help lend characters a sense of history and complexity--and while I was writing this I had in mind that the dagger was crafted by dark elves. Elaith came across it in Skullport, and acquired it during one of his more unsavory adventures. It's not something he's proud of--he doesn't like carrying a drow weapon and he doesn't like the memories using it evokes--but Elaith is an extremely pragmatic elf and will do what is necessary to complete a chosen task.
DenverJack Posted - 03 Sep 2014 : 17:16:49
Thank you very much for the reply!

Was it a spell cast by Elaith, or a power of the dagger he used? I won't pry any deeper than that. :)

I've enjoyed your books greatly, and to get the reply directly from you is awesome - thanks again!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 03 Sep 2014 : 16:38:41
quote:

I recently read Waterdeep, and was wondering about the rune Elaith could carve on a victim that would make speak with dead and similar spells fail. Was the game mechanic behind this power ever explained, or could you elaborate on the nature of the power?

This was not an established 3.5 spell, so the game mechanics have not been codified. It's a spell Ed and I concocted. The nature of this power is one of those things probably best left unspoken, but I can assure you that no virgins, chickens, or livestock were harmed in its production.

DenverJack Posted - 31 Aug 2014 : 21:18:34
I recently read Waterdeep, and was wondering about the rune Elaith could carve on a victim that would make speak with dead and similar spells fail. Was the game mechanic behind this power ever explained, or could you elaborate on the nature of the power?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Aug 2014 : 21:31:59
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

"Heck" the second I hear you have a new realms book I'll be first in line... I'll even push and shove to get in front of our giant hamster friend. :P

Never meddle with giant hamsters, for your head is crunchy and shaped like kibble...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000