Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Thomas M Reid

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 12 Feb 2004 : 19:06:33
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Thomas M Reid, whos works include: Insurrection and The Scions of Arabbar Trilogy.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Knightfall Posted - 30 Jul 2013 : 07:38:10
Mr. Reid,

I have a question about the AD&D 2E Heroes' Lorebook sourcebook, of which you were the Project Coordinator. (I'm not sure if this is something you would know the answer to or if Kim Mohan [who was in charge of the books development and editing] would know.)

What I'm trying to find out is if the sourcebook was published with a specific year in the Forgotten Realms in mind? I'm trying to determine the exact ages of the various NPCs as they would be at 1372 DR, and since Heroes' Lorebook give a few of the NPCs exact ages, I'm hoping to use it as a benchmark (of sorts). For example, under the entry for Alicia Kendrick, it says her age is "25 at present," but the book doesn't specifically say when "at present" is.

So, is there any way to put a specific Realmslore date on the information in the sourcebook, or is it a more fluid sourcebook that doesn't match a specific "moment in time" within the Forgotten Realms?

If you have any insights, I'd greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,

Robert "Knightfall" Blezard
Zireael Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 09:53:14
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Mr. Reid, is it possible to tell us what this book is about? I have not been able to find any information on it other than it's an import-only book. What're its contents? Any Realmslore in it for such large tome?

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Realms-Handbook-Advanced-Dungeons/dp/0786916745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278873526&sr=8-1

Well, someone on Wizards forums says it's a handbook for the computer game. Is that true, Mr. Reid?
And oh, I wanted to say thank you for the Empyrean Odyssey trilogy, I really enjoyed it!
Razz Posted - 11 Jul 2010 : 19:39:11
Mr. Reid, is it possible to tell us what this book is about? I have not been able to find any information on it other than it's an import-only book. What're its contents? Any Realmslore in it for such large tome?

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Realms-Handbook-Advanced-Dungeons/dp/0786916745/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278873526&sr=8-1
skychrome Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 18:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid
skychrome: Interesting that you enjoyed Vhok's part of the story in Book 1; from much of the other comments I've read, that was about the least-liked part of this trilogy, and I'm not completely sure why. As for Pharaun, it was fun to bring him back. I knew I had to do something special with that finger during the course of this story, and it was originally my intention to keep him alive for the future, but after initially getting approval for that, the folks at WotC had second thoughts and asked me not to resurrect him. However, the idea of producing the finger from the hidden chamber in the hilt of Allisza's blade and summoning him in to save them all was too cool, so his brief appearance in Book 3 was our compromise.

Interesting this part was perceived as least-liked. I can only say that I especially liked the part at the beginning where Vhok meets with the supposed Banists and then the part in the dwarven forge which in terms of mental fantasy movie provided great images and great realms flair. The part on the Elemental plane was more or less ok and could have been cool, if there had been more space for the City of Brass and its city atmosphere. However I understand this was not the purpose of the novel and I still enjoyed the mentioned first part very much!

Regarding Pharaun: it has been a while that there have been protagonists in FR novels that do get more or less close to his entertainment level. It felt good to see him back, even briefly and even though is death was a horrible waste (once again!).

Anyways, I hope we will not have to wait too long for new realms novels on your behalf. I really liked what you have written in the realms so far and it would be a shame to not see more of you!
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 17:29:51
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and respond Mr. Reid! If you ever do return to the Realms, do you think you'd seek a way to return to these characters, despite their present, er, condition? And what other work do you have coming up?

I make it a policy to never say never.

Seriously, though, I don't know if I can answer that. There are too many variables involved. If things fell right, though, I'd certainly consider it.

My current writing is focused purely on speculative work at the moment, and I have nothing to announce. If there is news, I will certainly pop in at some appropriate point and share it.

Thanks!
CylverSaber Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 16:43:55
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CylverSaber

I was hoping for more of a resolution than "and then everyone died." Kaanyr's plans never went anywhere, Aliisza never got to explore life as a reformed half-demonness, Kael never really got to know his father or his drow heritage, and we never got to see the changes resulting from Tyr abdicating to Torm.

CylverSaber: I'm sorry you felt disappointed in the ending of the trilogy. I agree, there is some missed potential there from a certain point of view, but the purpose of these books was not to set up future novels. I was instructed to keep it self-contained and let it serve its purpose as a transition between 3.5E and 4E Realms.

As for Pharaun, it was fun to bring him back. I knew I had to do something special with that finger during the course of this story, and it was originally my intention to keep him alive for the future, but after initially getting approval for that, the folks at WotC had second thoughts and asked me not to resurrect him. However, the idea of producing the finger from the hidden chamber in the hilt of Allisza's blade and summoning him in to save them all was too cool, so his brief appearance in Book 3 was our compromise.

As a quick note: numerous people have been asking me here and in other venues when my next Realms book will be appearing. I just wanted to let everyone know that, for the time being, I am stepping away from the Realms and WotC to pursue other writing interests. I am uncertain when I might come back to Faerun again, so I didn't want to leave everyone hanging. I will still pop in here from time to time to see if questions await me, though.

Thanks, all.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and respond Mr. Reid! If you ever do return to the Realms, do you think you'd seek a way to return to these characters, despite their present, er, condition? And what other work do you have coming up?
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 16:29:56
Been too long since I dropped in to visit, so I never answered some of the excellent questions posted here. Here goes:

gwalchavad: I will be honest with you; much of the "deific background" was either preconceptualized by the folks at WotC and given to me to work with, or developed in only the most general terms by me at the beginning of the project. I wasn't always sure how those would manifest until I was deep into the writing, and then I was able to make events fit my needs. In other words, I knew that Cyric was planning a big coup, but I didn't know EXACTLY how he would pull it off until I got to a point in the story where some of it needed to be revealed. Then I made details fit the moment. This was done primarily because my marching orders were, "Show how the changes in the pantheons affect those who live there, but keep the gods themselves offstage as much as possible; they should remains mysterious and unfathomable."

CylvarSaber: I'm sorry you felt disappointed in the ending of the trilogy. I agree, there is some missed potential there from a certain point of view, but the purpose of these books was not to set up future novels. I was instructed to keep it self-contained and let it serve its purpose as a transition between 3.5E and 4E Realms.

skychrome: Interesting that you enjoyed Vhok's part of the story in Book 1; from much of the other comments I've read, that was about the least-liked part of this trilogy, and I'm not completely sure why. As for Pharaun, it was fun to bring him back. I knew I had to do something special with that finger during the course of this story, and it was originally my intention to keep him alive for the future, but after initially getting approval for that, the folks at WotC had second thoughts and asked me not to resurrect him. However, the idea of producing the finger from the hidden chamber in the hilt of Allisza's blade and summoning him in to save them all was too cool, so his brief appearance in Book 3 was our compromise.

As a quick note: numerous people have been asking me here and in other venues when my next Realms book will be appearing. I just wanted to let everyone know that, for the time being, I am stepping away from the Realms and WotC to pursue other writing interests. I am uncertain when I might come back to Faerun again, so I didn't want to leave everyone hanging. I will still pop in here from time to time to see if questions await me, though.

Thanks, all.
skychrome Posted - 12 May 2010 : 23:43:56
Mr. Reid, just finished The Crystal Mountain and would like to say, that even though I do not like the spellplague and the events in it's wake, you made a good trilogy out of it.
Especially liked Vhok´s trip in book 1, which is classical adventuring at its best!

The brief re-appearance of Pharaun felt especially good. Damn did I miss that guy!
CylverSaber Posted - 24 Nov 2009 : 07:39:19
Late to the party, but I just finished the novel. Overall, I enjoyed the series, but was disappointed by the ending.

SPOILERS:
I was hoping for more of a resolution than "and then everyone died." Kaanyr's plans never went anywhere, Aliisza never got to explore life as a reformed half-demonness, Kael never really got to know his father or his drow heritage, and we never got to see the changes resulting from Tyr abdicating to Torm.
END SPOILER

I feel like a lot of promising avenues were set up that never got a chance to go anywhere, and I'm disappointed to hear Mr. Reid say there apparently won't be any follow-up.
gwalchavad Posted - 26 Aug 2009 : 03:33:38
Thank you Mr. Reid for a wonderful trilogy in the Empyrean Odyssey trilogy. I have been waiting for this story to be writen since the GHotR came out with that dreaded ending paragraphs. I am pleased to say that I loved every minute of it, and found them very dificult to put down. I had a few questions about the series, and forgive me if they have been asked already.

Did you think about the deific plot line in this book? Did you think about what Shar and Cyric had planned going into this? Did you think about what these deities end game was? For example did Cyric know that Shar's end game would fail, or was he just along for the ride hoping to grab some scraps and settling so personal vendettas on the way? I would love to pick your brain on this subject if you have thought all of this out , but I will leave it at that for now.

And on a possibly simpler subject. With the characters off in the outer plains and often being put into temporal stasis for a lack of a better term, time begins to lose meaning in the stories eyes. I was wondering if you had an idea what kind of time passed between the events between Tyr and Helm (Helm's death) and that of the death of Mystra at the hands of Cyric and Shar?
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 20 Aug 2009 : 18:40:49
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Well I finished "Crystal Mountain" and wow, no WOW.

Are you going to by any chance write a novel or 3 about Kael?

Probably the best 4th Edition Forgotten Realms novel so far, IMBO.(In My Biased Opinion)

Thank you for writing it and posting here at Candlekeep.

Thanks so much for the kind words. It always pleases me when someone reacts so positively to my stories. As for future books with Kael, I definitely left things open for the possibility, but there are no plans currently in the works for that to happen.

Thomas
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 20 Aug 2009 : 18:35:39
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

So Mr. Reid, could you send us a message? 90% of the readers only knows Ed and RAS, it would be awesome for them to getting knowing you.

Hello, Brazilian FR fans! While both Ed Greenwood and Bob Salvatore are excellent writers who tell a wonderful story, you will find many other terrific authors who contribute to the rich detail of the Forgotten Realms. If you haven't already, take a moment to read some of their fine work. If you are interested in stories that attempt to focus on the more "common" folk of the Realms, those people who are not as famous as Elminster or Drizzt but who find their own heroic ways to deal with their problems, my works might appeal to you. And keep telling Wizards of the Coast that you want more books translated into Portuguese! That's the only way you will see it become a reality.

Thomas M. Reid
Brimstone Posted - 14 Aug 2009 : 15:32:58
Well I finished "Crystal Mountain" and wow, no WOW.

Are you going to by any chance write a novel or 3 about Kael?

Probably the best 4th Edition Forgotten Realms novel so far, IMBO.(In My Biased Opinion)

Thank you for writing it and posting here at Candlekeep.
Brimstone Posted - 13 Aug 2009 : 11:31:34
Mr. Reid, I started reading "Crystal Mountain" Tonight. I am on chapter 9 already after 2 hours of reading.
Wow, awesome novel.
I have noticed that every 4E Forgotten Realms novel I have read so far has been excelent! Thank you for your writing and putting up with us crazy Realms fans.
edappel Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 19:54:44
Hello Thomas.
I just sent a message to Erik Scott de Bie to help me on my quest to increase the number of FR novel fans here at Brazil.
So, it would be nice have you on this "mission" too.

I will quote my last post to Erik 'cause I take to much time writing in english..

quote:

I'm getting some messages from many FR authors who would like to have some brazilians readers.

At the moment, the only person that sent me, was Richard Lee Byers. Kemp and Cunningham didn't know what to say, I'm expecting that Greenwood, when he has some extra time, would send me something too, RAS is almost untalkable at the moment...

So Mr. Reid, could you send us a message? 90% of the readers only knows Ed and RAS, it would be awesome for them to getting knowing you.

Another thing that is interesting, Icewind Dale is the only translated trilogy to portuguese, but I believe that 50% of the Role-Players can read in english... They don't do it, probably 'cause the reading of novels are not so common here in Brazil, compared to developed world countries.

At the time that I receive more than five author's messages, I would compile them and send to many communitys and foruns around here.

Thanks!

Then, Erik asked me what exactly did I want, and I answered:

quote:

You could present yourself and your books, say why should people be interested on reading your work or any other FR author's book... I think the best way for them start reading your books, is explaining them that there is an extremely huge world to be discovered. And many new-comers authors that may answer their questions as a "normal guy" here at candlekeep (CK marketing too ). It's up to you. Probably, you can say better than I, what should you say to make someone start reading FR novels.

Well, that's it. Sorry bothering you and thanks for the attention.

Ps: Congrats for Insurrection, it's, on my opinion, one of the the best book on WotSQ series.
Pps: Empyrean Odyssey is certainly on my "next to read list", besides Downshadow and Avatar series. (Kaanyr and Aliisza rules )
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 05 Jun 2009 : 19:02:32
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Mr. Reid. I just finished Gossamer Plains last night. Bravo, I really liked the story. I wonder what sort of trouble my favorite Alu will be getting herself into. Started reading Fractured Sky. Great story so far. Just wanted to say thanks, for the hard work.

Thanks, Brimstone. I'm really glad you've enjoyed it so far.

Thomas
Brimstone Posted - 22 Mar 2009 : 06:57:00
Mr. Reid. I just finished Gossamer Plains last night. Bravo, I really liked the story. I wonder what sort of trouble my favorite Alu will be getting herself into. Started reading Fractured Sky. Great story so far. Just wanted to say thanks, for the hard work.

BRIMSTONE
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 05:15:17
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

But I would rather like to know whether we will see Eirwyn again ... and if not, what is/was her fate?

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Somehow, the last time I checked to see if there were new posts, it didn't show this.

Yes, Eirwyn appears in the third book. She actually has a pretty good-sized role, in fact.

Thomas
Zanan Posted - 31 Jan 2009 : 17:58:14
Hello Mr. Reid!

Finished Fractured Sky and writing the revision right now. A good novel and it will stirr up some arguments about the behaviour of all those benelovent creatures called angels. Yet, I have to say that you lost me near the end with all the implications and who was playing whom and which action lead to which Realms-shaking effect.

But I would rather like to know whether we will see Eirwyn again ... and if not, what is/was her fate?
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 05:38:32
quote:
Originally posted by inexorable

Excellent work on the second book, The Fractured Sky. I just finished reading it and although I'm sort of bummed that Zasian got killed, as Cyric and his minions are my favorite characters in the Realms, I kind of knew it was going to happen.

Very intriguing that it was his own god that deceived him.

I really enjoy the interaction between the angels and the demons and how they are rubbing off on each other. All of your characters have depth and are well done and easy to relate to.

Great work Mr. Reid and I look forward to the next novel.

Thanks much for the compliments, inexorable. I'm really glad to hear how much you enjoyed the book.

Thomas
inexorable Posted - 11 Dec 2008 : 22:29:36
Excellent work on the second book, The Fractured Sky. I just finished reading it and although I'm sort of bummed that Zasian got killed, as Cyric and his minions are my favorite characters in the Realms, I kind of knew it was going to happen.

Very intriguing that it was his own god that deceived him.

I really enjoy the interaction between the angels and the demons and how they are rubbing off on each other. All of your characters have depth and are well done and easy to relate to.

Great work Mr. Reid and I look forward to the next novel.
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 03 Dec 2008 : 02:54:46
Well, as I have already posted elsewhere, the events leading up to Mystra's death are "revealed" in The Fractured Sky. But I did not actually plan any of that out; it was concocted by the folks at WotC, and I just knew about it and had the opportunity to incorporate it into my book. My job was actually to show the repercussions of such RSEs on the angels living in the good planes, so I fit my story around some of it, and tied my characters into part of the grander plot. But I didn't really decide for it to happen.

Thomas
Kamuraki Posted - 10 Nov 2008 : 21:48:35
How's it feel to be the hand that actually did the deed, Tom?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 05 Nov 2008 : 02:42:38
Is it true, Mr. Reid?

Right now I have a quote playing in my head: "Say it ain't so, Joe!"
Brimstone Posted - 04 Nov 2008 : 21:54:39
-Mr. Reid I just heard on another forum HOW CYRIC AND SHAR KILL MYSTRA. Thats just awesome my man, just awesome! I got the book (Fractured Sky) and shall read it.

BRIMSTONE
Thomas M. Reid Posted - 02 Nov 2008 : 15:01:17
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander
Would you like to give one now? It is your temple, after all.

Sure. Let's call it the Sanctuary of the Teeming Coffer.

And the Ed documents you mentioned are indeed the ones I received from him when I was first sitting down to write. He gave me some other materials, too. I don't know whether I got a hold of that stuff before they became public or after, but I drew on them heavily and tried very hard not to contradict anything in them.

Thomas
Icelander Posted - 30 Oct 2008 : 19:04:04
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I have to say, I distinctly recall the Darowdryn family being in the novels, although it's been a long time since I read them.

So they are. As are the Mestels and the Cauldyn are at least mentioned.

But I wondered whether those came from Ed's writeup or from a prior source. And I wondered whether the other families, such as the Elphs, were in Mr. Reid's vision for Arrabar.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 30 Oct 2008 : 16:44:59
I have to say, I distinctly recall the Darowdryn family being in the novels, although it's been a long time since I read them.
The Sage Posted - 30 Oct 2008 : 02:24:04
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

To add a few questions, have you seen Ed's Overview of Chondath that appeared somewhere on the 'Net...
There's actually a copy archived here at Candlekeep.
Icelander Posted - 30 Oct 2008 : 01:59:38
quote:

quote:
What was the name of the Temple to Waukeen in Arrabar that Vambran Matrell and the Sapphire Crescent served?

Uh . . . I apparently never gave it a formal name. Probably should have.

Would you like to give one now? It is your temple, after all.

I understand that it wouldn't be 100% canon (not unless someone from WotC contacts you to ask the same question and you give the same asnwer, I suppose), but I'm sure that as the author for that novel, your word is good enough to allow The Sage to at least put the name on his list of Realms-temples.

quote:

quote:
What other temples of Waukeen did you mention or postulate in the books (their names and location or if names don't exist, at least locations)? Specifically, did Reth have a temple to Waukeen? Any shrines to Waukeen that you mentioned?

I ask because Waukeen is apparently popular in Chondath, but so far I can find no canon sources identifying which cities there have temples to her.

Good questions all, but I had very little to go on, myself. The only sources that ever offered much at all about Chondath and Waukeen were the old 2E product The Vilhon Reach and the adventure -- the name of which escapes me at the moment -- where the characters try to rescue Waukeen from Grazzt. I also got a lot of extra, unpublished information from Ed at the time I was writing. But none of those resources had much information on the region's worship of Waukeen, only that she had been popular at one time, but had fallen into decline with her disappearance. So I just made up what I needed to to keep the book going. Because of her re-emergence, I assumed that new temples were springing up (or old ones were being reivigorated) in most major cities in the Reach.

Thomas

Thank you very much.

To add a few questions, have you seen Ed's Overview of Chondath that appeared somewhere on the 'Net and includes such noble families as the Beltyne, the Cauldyl, the Darowdryn, the Elphaendim, the Halort, the Mestel, the Pelgorn and the Withrim? Is there room for these noble families alongside those of your trilogy or have the families of 'your' Arrabar supplanted them in canon?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000