Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Elminster Must Die -- Chapters 21 - 25

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 03 Aug 2010 : 05:28:46
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Elminster Must Die (part of "The Sage of Shadowdale" saga), by Ed Greenwood. Please discuss chapters 21 - 25 herein.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Blueblade Posted - 06 Aug 2012 : 03:53:41
As I reread this great book, I find myself agreeing with Iluvrien's observation: despite the fact that we mainly see Suzail's streets from the POV of someone racing through them on urgent business, Ed somehow makes the city feel REAL and alive around the reader.
I'm enjoying this all over again.
BB
Dennis Posted - 26 Nov 2010 : 02:42:21
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien

And speaking of saddened, the scene between Storm and Alassra just tore at me. Alassra has never been my favourite of the Sisters, nor had she garnerd much in the way of sympathy from me in the past... and yet I found myself, once again due to Ed's masterful storytelling, thinking "Even Alassra doesn't deserve this... and Ethena Astorma certainly doesn't."

Indeed. I've always been Alassra's fan. She looked worse than a chained dog or a Thayan slave in that scene...
Shadowaxe Posted - 12 Oct 2010 : 17:05:15
quote:
Originally posted by Baleful Avatar

I bet Ed has worked out the routes of the dung wagons and all of that.

I have just reached this and thought exactly that! And there has been so many moments of witty brilliance throughout this read!
Iluvrien Posted - 22 Sep 2010 : 22:25:33
This is the problem that my copy of Elminster Must Die having taken 44 days to arrive causes... the other scribes have been, made the most prudent observations and gone before I have even managed to read the first page!

I wonder if any scribe has taken the new names of noble and commoner alike and set them among those already known within Suzail?

Marlin's plots continue with little surprise for me, he is proceeding much as I had expected him to... and as such my focus is elsewhere.

The talk of the Harpers and their purging themselves of alien influence was good to hear, albeit from a Sembian. I had wondered if the rumours in the FRCG were exactly that, merely rumours. To have this confirmed pleased me.

With all of Arclath, Amarune and El's dashings through the streets of Suzail, and Ed's consumate skill in describing them, I find that I have to agree with Broken Helm, Garen Thal and Baleful Avatar. It just seems to much more real than it has done since I was reading the Cormyr series. Although it does, again, make me sad that I am not to see Filfaeril passing through them again. (Brokem record, I know.)

And speaking of saddened, the scene between Storm and Alassra just tore at me. Alassra has never been my favourite of the Sisters, nor had she garnerd much in the way of sympathy from me in the past... and yet I found myself, once again due to Ed's masterful storytelling, thinking "Even Alassra doesn't deserve this... and Ethena Astorma certainly doesn't." (A happy smile found itself on my face when I read her full name again, I thought I would never see it again, thanks Ed!)

My focus has firmly been on Amarune, though. She continues to captivate me. I have to admit, I shall probably carry an image of her firmly set features, behind the Dragonriders' bar, supplying a stream of well-aimed glasswares into the faces of those idiot nobles, for a long LONG time. And for that I thank you again Ed.

I can't stop reading!
Baleful Avatar Posted - 25 Aug 2010 : 16:08:44
I bet Ed has worked out the routes of the dung wagons and all of that. The man's mind is awe-inspiring...and a little frightening.
Great book. Can't wait for the next one.
Did you notice how many names of Suzailans he just casually gave us, throughout the book?
BA
Garen Thal Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 23:28:05
quote:
Originally posted by Broken Helm

I just wanted to say that it was in these chapters that the city of Suzail started to feel like a real place around me, without Ed seeming to stop at all to do any description.
How did he DO that?
Oh, dear Helm. That, better than anything at all, is precisely what Ed does, and has done, down the years, to make the Realms a living, breathing place we know instantly and yet want to learn everything about. It's why his players cared to learn more about the Realms, and therefore why he developed it further, and therefore shared it with everyone... wherefore TSR chose to purchase it.

In other words: Magic.
The Hooded One Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 23:14:50
Magic.

love,
THO
Broken Helm Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 19:48:12
I just wanted to say that it was in these chapters that the city of Suzail started to feel like a real place around me, without Ed seeming to stop at all to do any description.
How did he DO that?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000