Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Aeron Morieth and The Shadow Stone!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 01:37:22
Alrighty... I just read this book for the second time since I bought it in 1998, and I must say I forgot just how awesome it really is. After reading all the newer novels on Shadow Magic and the Shadow weave and Shades and all that jazz, I must say this book makes MUCH more sense now a second time around.

Does anyone even remember that all of Chessenta and Turmish and Chondath and Unther were under the shadow blight of the Mighty Artifact known as The Shadow Stone? I mean the Weave was almost entirely dead in these countries, and weave casters suffered greatly due to this powerful blight. Anyone tapping the power-source of the Shadow Stone automaticaly cast their spells from the shadow weave and were hence forth weilding shadow magic from then on. As a Major Shadow weave artifact I find it hard to believe that all of Faerun did not know of this, or even get a mention in the lore books or even TgHoTr or something. Now that shadow magic and the shadow weave is beginning to surface more commonly than it was on Faerun in the past, I wonder why the events that take place in the novel seem to have been entirely forgotten. Aeron Morieth... The Half elf Shadow Mage/adept should be a force to reckon with for both good and evil alike. Why hasn't Shar sent her Monks of the Dark Moon after him, or even her Shadow Mage-killers to seek him out and try to destroy him or something?

Anyway... GREAT BOOK INDEED!!! Totally worth a second read and it ties in very nice with events that take place toward the end of Pre-spellplague Faerun.

Any comments and opinions are welcomed. Thanks.
CEV ;)
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2018 : 03:24:21
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Sorry, my bad.

No worries. I was making an observation, no more.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 16 May 2018 : 02:44:39
Sorry, my bad.
George Krashos Posted - 16 May 2018 : 02:27:45
Yep, a few.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2018 : 00:24:36
quote:
Originally posted by goblins

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Some serious thread necromancy, here... Dennis hasn't visited our halls in about 4 years.

I was wondering what the etiquette was here. If a poster wants to discuss a novel, should they search for an existing thread and bump it? Regardless of the age? Thanks.

There's no real hard and fast rule, though there is a preference towards reviving threads as appropriate.

My comment was more about replying to something said 8 years previously. There's not a lot of people here now that were here then, though there are some.
goblins Posted - 15 May 2018 : 21:25:56
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Some serious thread necromancy, here... Dennis hasn't visited our halls in about 4 years.

I was wondering what the etiquette was here. If a poster wants to discuss a novel, should they search for an existing thread and bump it? Regardless of the age? Thanks.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 May 2018 : 19:58:46
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 15 May 2018 : 17:43:17
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I have not yet read this book. (My current list of Novels To Read is pretty much long.) But I am curious, is the effect of the Shadow Stone more catastrophic than the Shadowstorm, which in Paul's book of the same title turns all things to shadow caricatures of themselves and dampens all kinds of Weave-based and priestly spells?

It was getting up there in stature to the Shadowstorm indeed. The Shadow Stone if I'm not mistaken was just a piece of a larger Stone of shadow and a Legendary artifact!!
Dennis Posted - 17 Sep 2010 : 05:53:12

I have not yet read this book. (My current list of Novels To Read is pretty much long.) But I am curious, is the effect of the Shadow Stone more catastrophic than the Shadowstorm, which in Paul's book of the same title turns all things to shadow caricatures of themselves and dampens all kinds of Weave-based and priestly spells?

Darsson Spellmaker Posted - 17 Sep 2010 : 05:36:42
quote:

Aeron Morieth... The Half elf Shadow Mage/adept should be a force to reckon with for both good and evil alike. Why hasn't Shar sent her Monks of the Dark Moon after him, or even her Shadow Mage-killers to seek him out and try to destroy him or something?

I can't recall if it was in Magic of Faerun or Lords of Darkness or some other game product, but I remember reading somewhere that Shar specifically forbade her servants from harming Aeron in any way because she sensed he still had some part to play in the future, some mysterious destiny that had yet to be revealed. Also, the FRCS mentioned Aeron as being a (N male half-elf wizard 13/shadow adept 3), making him very powerful for his age.
Ranak Posted - 17 Sep 2010 : 05:30:21
Unfortunately for me, I read Shadow Stone shortly after reading Harry Potter. It reminded me too much of Hogwarts, the rival students, young student not accepted ends up confronting great evil. Of course they were written in vastly different styles. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it in 1998.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 13 Sep 2010 : 01:38:25
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

quote:

My bad... FrCs 3.5ED says on page 182 that it was 1370DR ;)

Thank you.

And did this effect last for seconds, minutes, hours, days, tendays, months or years?

It lasted for months! Weave spells were much harder to cast, crops and water and all manner of vegetation were being blighted. The Shadow Stone would have had The Shadow Weave as the sole means to cast spells in that entire part of the world.
Icelander Posted - 11 Sep 2010 : 03:12:19
quote:

Thank you.

And did this effect last for seconds, minutes, hours, days, tendays, months or years?
scererar Posted - 11 Sep 2010 : 02:34:15
one of my favorite realms novels. I also liked the alternate spellbook format of having spells written on sticks.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 11 Sep 2010 : 02:04:05
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 28 Aug 2010 : 05:01:27
I think it's like 1371 or 1372.DR
Ruul Posted - 27 Aug 2010 : 13:16:15
I believe it mentions in the novel somewhere the Year of the Helm.
Icelander Posted - 27 Aug 2010 : 02:27:04
To anyone who has read the novel in question, when, in Forgotten Realms chronology, was Turmish, Chondath, Chessenta (presumably including Threskel) and Unther under this shadow blight? And for how long?

My campaign involves these nations quite intimately and this seems like something I should at least give a contiuity nod towards.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 24 Aug 2010 : 21:04:48
The Ebon Flame! The First Immaskari? Shouldn't that put him up there with Elminster and Telemont Tanthul? Does anyone know of any other source of info on the Shadow Stone? I heard rumore that it gets mentioned in detail in the three 3.5ED super adventures that deal with Shar and Shadow Weave that came out like 2 years ago. Is this true?

Thanks. CEV ;)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 19 Aug 2010 : 20:20:23
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

The Shadow Stone is a great book. The port to FR was done very well as it feels like a Realms book.

I haven't purchased an FR novel in years, but there are some real gems in their older catalog, and this is one of them.

I agree entirely! It feels very much like a Realms book should. That's why I'm soooooo shocked that Aeron Morieth and a major shadow artifact such as The Shadow Stone get no mention at all.
wwwwwww Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 14:18:55
The Shadow Stone is a great book. The port to FR was done very well as it feels like a Realms book.

I haven't purchased an FR novel in years, but there are some real gems in their older catalog, and this is one of them.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 07:40:54
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I would have preferred that it remain part of the Birthright World...

Not because I don't like the Shades in the Forgotten Realms...just because I loved Rich Baker's Birthright.

There were no Shades or Shadovar in this novel... well, kinda... it's hard to explain unless you just read it again.
Dalor Darden Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 04:36:09
I would have preferred that it remain part of the Birthright World...

Not because I don't like the Shades in the Forgotten Realms...just because I loved Rich Baker's Birthright.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 04:34:29
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Perhaps this book didn't get as much Campaign Setting nods, because, as I understand it, The Shadow Stone was originally written for the Birthright Campaign setting and then had a place/name overhaul to port it into the FR at the last miinute.

I do remmeber enjoying this book though and would like to revisit it sometime in the future as well.

I would highly suggest you do give it another read. I was actually amazed at how much more everything fits in now that so many other Shadow Weave fluff and books have come out. You'll thank me. Plus Aeron Rocks. :)
jornan Posted - 12 Aug 2010 : 03:16:21
Perhaps this book didn't get as much Campaign Setting nods, because, as I understand it, The Shadow Stone was originally written for the Birthright Campaign setting and then had a place/name overhaul to port it into the FR at the last miinute.

I do remmeber enjoying this book though and would like to revisit it sometime in the future as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000