Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Irony of Edition Cycles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 19:02:03
It has occurred to me while reading some of my older books on the Forgotten Realms that once, long ago in a Forgotten Realms now seemingly forgotten, that the Savage Frontier was the very sort of "points of light" adventuring land now espoused by WotC.

I wonder at times if new WotC employees take the opportunity to read some of the older material before they start work on the Forgotten Realms?

The North then was a savage and brutal land very little settled at all...with tens of thousands of orcs, savage barbarians, ancient and fell ruins; and very little civilization at all.

I encourage anyone who can to read some of the 1st Edition Realms material...especially the Savage Frontier by Paul Jaquays (though I'm sure there is a LOT of Ed in there!).
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 11:37:23
I think it's always been more about struggling to maintain an internally consistent 3e-based continuity for the most part, with previous editions being considered after.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 11:13:32
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

There were, at one time, individuals tasked with maintaining continuity in the Realms. Steve Schend was one, for example. Whether that position was formal or not, I don't recall. although he was the manager of the FR product line for a time, I believe.

Are there any such people left in WotC?

Since 3E came out, there has been much less attention paid to maintaining continuity. So my guess is that no, they haven't worried about that in a long time.
Zireael Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 10:43:45
quote:
Originally posted by capnvan

There were, at one time, individuals tasked with maintaining continuity in the Realms. Steve Schend was one, for example. Whether that position was formal or not, I don't recall. although he was the manager of the FR product line for a time, I believe.

Are there any such people left in WotC?
Calmar Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 08:10:10
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I guess what I'm saying is: what sort of Job Training do they put new employees through?

They have to pass a complex qualifying examination...
Dalor Darden Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 03:52:33
Classic Coke is oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so good.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 03:37:01
It's not too late to do a reset, thinks I.
The Red Walker Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 01:56:19
quote:

I am just wondering now, as I have in times past, if they know exactly what they are doing. Is it that they understand a longer cycle of marketing than we might give them credit for...or are they, as many say, simply flying blind and hoping for the best.

I would like to hope that they have some sense of customer connection to their products.

Its just that a reset might have served them better than an RSE...although none will ever know for certain.

I am 100% sure a reset would have better served everyone involved......It's just that I'm too tired to argue it!
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 01:38:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's also been pointed out that the changing of the map for 3E removed some of the points of light setup that existed before. They scrunched down the map to get rid of "empty" space, and then decided there was need for more empty space!
The point was to fit as much land as possible onto the FRCS poster map. Rich Baker also explained it during a lengthy discussion on the REALMS-L.

A series of articles at WotC explains this somewhat, also:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010503
Faraer Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 00:19:31
Remember that what happened was part of Wizards' restructuring 'to focus on key growth strategies for core brands', i.e. their cutback of personnel and product focus to D&D and Magic in response to the recession (hence no Realms product line, novels rebranded D&D, etc.). What seems inordinately careless and risky from the perspective and purposes of the Realms is much less so from that of their plan for D&D.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 23:54:18
I am just wondering now, as I have in times past, if they know exactly what they are doing. Is it that they understand a longer cycle of marketing than we might give them credit for...or are they, as many say, simply flying blind and hoping for the best.

I would like to hope that they have some sense of customer connection to their products.

Its just that a reset might have served them better than an RSE...although none will ever know for certain.
Faraer Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 23:26:41
quote:

I guess what I'm saying is: what sort of Job Training do they put new employees through?
There isn't any job training for managing shared secondary worlds.
quote:
Is there required review of what has come before? Or, instead, are they simply allowed to go their own way?

At least a few of the people involved were well enough aware of what had been (and what was still unpublished after twenty years); other factors were just more important. For those of us not at the meeting, which factors those are was confused by the impossible-to-believe 'best of all worlds' PR that mixed in actual commercial reasoning with other merely coincidental arguments, some of them transparently nonsensical, as here.

Legally, of course, they can do pretty much what they want.
froglegg Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 22:14:20
quote:

It has occurred to me while reading some of my older books on the Forgotten Realms that once, long ago in a Forgotten Realms now seemingly forgotten, that the Savage Frontier was the very sort of "points of light" adventuring land now espoused by WotC.

I wonder at times if new WotC employees take the opportunity to read some of the older material before they start work on the Forgotten Realms?

The North then was a savage and brutal land very little settled at all...with tens of thousands of orcs, savage barbarians, ancient and fell ruins; and very little civilization at all.

I encourage anyone who can to read some of the 1st Edition Realms material...especially the Savage Frontier by Paul Jaquays (though I'm sure there is a LOT of Ed in there!).

+1 Amen brother!
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 21:07:22

Is there required review of what has come before? Or, instead, are they simply allowed to go their own way?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 20:56:31
It's also been pointed out that the changing of the map for 3E removed some of the points of light setup that existed before. They scrunched down the map to get rid of "empty" space, and then decided there was need for more empty space!

Or the 4E complaint that there weren't any areas where a story could be told that hadn't already had a story set there -- followed by setting several books in one city.
Faraer Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 19:26:15
It's a point that's not gone unmade, and the same definitely applies to the Western Heartlands (witness the besieged caravan in Hand of Fire), and the vast stretches of wilderness that are everywhere outside the few large stable kingdoms that are (as has also been observed) the exception in post-imperial Faerūn (not to mention the Great Desert, which barely even has such points).

Considering also Realms-2008's resurgent Cormyr, we conclude that this wasn't the driving contributing cause of the changes it was sometimes presented as, unless the designers were less informed and competent than I think they were.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000