Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Coins of living realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Faraer Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 21:45:00
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Yup -- I'm thinking of ancient coins, though, not the mints of existing states. That's its own thread, though, and my notes on modern coins are relatively complete. For instance, the copper/silver/electrum/gold/platinum currency of Sembia is steelpense/hawk/electrum/[various]/[none], while the mint of Selgaunt produces penny/raven/ring/fivestar/sun.

Oh, ancient coins....... Hmmm, I could give you drow coins, but I hardly think that's what you want, hmm?

Please do, I don't know what they are.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kragen2179 Posted - 01 Mar 2023 : 21:03:01
Thank you, I'm guessing that is correct as I did find a reference to "Highcrowns" as a coin. Although it is unclear if that is slang or if it is a currency of any particular country.
Kentinal Posted - 01 Mar 2023 : 18:34:25
Best guess, Hand Of Fire

Kragen2179 Posted - 01 Mar 2023 : 17:46:02
Hey, just wondering, looking at the list posted by Faraer...which book would be HoF?
The Sage Posted - 01 Apr 2006 : 02:10:36
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

Oh yeah, one more thing: Are there any old Underdark modules (such as Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, Menzoberranzan boxset, and Drow of the Underdark) that touch upon half-drow? I haven't really heard of much products that detail those hybrids and their (un)acceptance and life in drow culture.

Demihumans of the Realms is really the only "old" FR accessory that deals with half-drow in any real detail. There are references to half-drow in the products you mention... but nothing beyond them being a referenced race for an NPC for example.

-- And having said that, I think we should all try to turn this scroll back on the topic of "coins of living realms" .
The Sage Posted - 01 Apr 2006 : 02:08:25
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

How do the PDFs stack up with the real deal?

It depends, really... A pdf has the advantage of not taking up shelf space, and of being searchable. A print copy is the real deal, and I'll always buy a book before I buy the pdf...
I've got to agree with Wooly on this (Wooly also discussed his thoughts on paizo.com PDFs in this scroll).

Being searchable is a big advantage for PDFs over printed books... and while it is always a useful ability to have access to... especially due to the fact that we have hundreds of sourcebooks to refer to for references occasionally... I don't consider PDFs superior to print material in any way. There's nothing in all of RPG that beats the smell, touch, and look of an older 1e/2e FR printed sourcebook.
The Sage Posted - 01 Apr 2006 : 02:07:36
quote:

So Shadowlord is in absence... just my luck. I suppose it's a good thing that this website is filled with loremasters, eh?
And actual game designers and FR authors too... .

quote:
Anyway Sage, you (or at least a lot of y'all) get old FR products as PDFs from RPGNow, don't you?
As PDF doubles of the original printings, yes. I'm fortunate enough to have nearly every FR publication available to me in print form because I purchased most of them during their own individual print runs from 1987 to the end of 2e at Cloak and Dagger.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 23:46:36
quote:

How do the PDFs stack up with the real deal?

It depends, really... A pdf has the advantage of not taking up shelf space, and of being searchable. A print copy is the real deal, and I'll always buy a book before I buy the pdf...

Paizo.com also sells pdfs; and, from what I'm told, if they update a pdf after you've bought it, you can get the update at no cost.
Aquanova Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 19:49:28
Oh yeah, one more thing: Are there any old Underdark modules (such as Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, Menzoberranzan boxset, and Drow of the Underdark) that touch upon half-drow? I haven't really heard of much products that detail those hybrids and their (un)acceptance and life in drow culture.
Aquanova Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 19:46:45
So Shadowlord is in absence... just my luck. I suppose it's a good thing that this website is filled with loremasters, eh?

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Additionally, this is an aspect you can probably flesh out on your own considering there is so little actual official lore.

For example, the Menzoberranzan boxed set also says that rare shells, jarred and/or jellied eyeballs, perfumes, and even rare foods and plants can be used as "currency" in some places and with some races.

To that I would add the bones of rare or exotic creatures, shards of dragons scales, and blood from specific monstrous creatures. Coins crafted from bone perhaps... There are many ways you can take things like this.

So essentially a barter system? Not too improbable.

Anyway Sage, you (or at least a lot of y'all) get old FR products as PDFs from RPGNow, don't you? I'd like some advice from those in the know: I'm thinking of ordering Cloak and Dagger off Amazon. However, I'm getting a new PC in about a month (the one I post from isn't mine), and I've heard absolutely nothing but positivity from RPGNow, so logically I'm considering maybe saving some money and ordering a ton of the old FR tomes from that site. How do the PDFs stack up with the real deal?
The Sage Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 05:10:06
Additionally, this is an aspect you can probably flesh out on your own considering there is so little actual official lore.

For example, the Menzoberranzan boxed set also says that rare shells, jarred and/or jellied eyeballs, perfumes, and even rare foods and plants can be used as "currency" in some places and with some races.

To that I would add the bones of rare or exotic creatures, shards of dragons scales, and blood from specific monstrous creatures. Coins crafted from bone perhaps... There are many ways you can take things like this.
The Sage Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 05:07:12
quote:

If you don't mind my asking (that is, if you're still around after two years of this thread's genesis), how about Undrek'Thoz, and Menzoberranzan?
Shadowlord hasn't been around for quite a while -- June '04 was the last time he was here as I recall -- though he popped in earlier this month, but didn't post.

Anyway... as to you question -

In Ed's Drow of the Underdark it specifically mentions that types of gems are sometimes used as a form of trade-currency with races from the surface.

And we learn from the Menzoberranzan boxed set that drow in the City of Spiders usually accept most forms of surface Realms currencies and coinage but tend to be happier with silver and gold pieces than those forged of copper because the metal is usually melted down so that it can be reforged for use where a particular currency or coinage is not honoured.

No specific names for drow currency have actually be properly detailed except that which has been mentioned in FR fiction.
Aquanova Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 04:43:59
FYI, I found this thread during a search for "Drow".

quote:

Ahh, well, there are many different Underdark Realms, mints, societies, and such. Which area would you like to learn the coinage of?

If you don't mind my asking (that is, if you're still around after two years of this thread's genesis), how about Undrek'Thoz, and Menzoberranzan?

PS- I too haven't read the WotSQ novels... as with Faraer's case, I'm wary of devoting myself to large book series (especially since I heard that WotSQ had its fair share of inconsistencies due to multiple authors), and I'm always up to my armpits in books (right now I'm working on Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger), and don't exactly have a lot of spare cash to spend on novels. Though I do suppose I should get the series, as they're somewhat significant to the Realms, eh...?
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 16:58:32
ah, aye, the um coins...*shifty eyes* so how bout those Sembian raven coins?
Alaundo Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 23:08:20
Well met

AHEM ....so, about these coins....
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 21:56:59
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Hmph. ::holds his head haughtily::

With the way you speak, "Spellsage," I doubt you'd even know where to strike. Some things are just beyond some people . . . .

(Heh. This is fun. I don't usually get to insult people. )

hold ur tongue Bookwyrm, lest i slice it off!
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 21:54:22
quote:

goblin-kin is far less intelligent that ogres

nay, goblin inteligence - 10
ogres inteligence - 6
Bookwyrm Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 06:44:40
Hmph. ::holds his head haughtily::

With the way you speak, "Spellsage," I doubt you'd even know where to strike. Some things are just beyond some people . . . .

(Heh. This is fun. I don't usually get to insult people. )
Shadowlord Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 02:07:26
Oooh, Bookwyrm, I do believe that was a challenge.... And no, goblin-kin is far less intelligent that ogres even.....
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 01:53:55
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

aye thanks 4 the info. i know this is goin 2 sound like i have the inteligence of an ogre, but what is: WotSQ?

Don't worry, we can't possibly think any less of you.

*snarls at Bookwyrm* dont tempt me lizard, or i shall slice ur belly open like a fish mongol guts a fish!!!
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 01:52:14
quote:

Ack, not ogre, more like goblin.....

well Shadowlord, that was a good attempt at an insult, but u just proved u r the lesser inteligent. u c, goblins r smarter than ogres, so u actually said i was smarter than i said i am...good try though
Faraer Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 21:00:41
Yup, the slashes are table delineation -- hard to read, but decipherable. I've seen a list which I think has some entries this one doesn't, but the webpage is now password-protected.
Jacinth Greyfox Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 20:52:27
In the thriving bazaars of Zakahra the following coins are currently in circulation by order of the Grand Caliph (may Fate grant him wisdom!),

c.p. - Bit
s.p. - Dirham
g.p. - Dinar

Arabaian adventures p85.
Bookwyrm Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 17:00:46
I think he probably tried to put things in columns, but the forum doesn't like you puting extra spaces in.
Lord Rad Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 16:55:38
Sorry if this appears to be a stupid question, but what do all the multiples of slashes (/) mean in your post, Faraer?
Bookwyrm Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 16:49:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

aye thanks 4 the info. i know this is goin 2 sound like i have the inteligence of an ogre, but what is: WotSQ?

Don't worry, we can't possibly think any less of you.
Faraer Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 14:18:50
/copper/silver/electrum/gold/platinum/other/
Cormyr/thumb/falcon/blue eye/lion/tricrown//
Sembia/steelpense/hawk/electrum/…/—//FRA p. 129
-Selgaunt/penny/raven/ring/fivestar/sun//Sembia novel series
Calimshan///////
-Calimport/unarch/decarch/centarch/bicenta/kilarch//
-Memnon//red worm/////FRA p. 129
…/rada, niften, spanner/espedrille/tazo, zonth////FRA p. 129
Amn/fandar /taran/decime (centaur)/danter/roldon (pearl)//Lands of Intrigue: Amn p. 13
Silverymoon///electrum moon (2/1 ep)////FRA p. 129
Tethyr (new)/donsar (lash)/paxar (blade)/corlar (king)/aenar (queen), brakar (star) (2 gp)/daublar (cup)//Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr p. 15
-Zazesspur////gulder///
-Ithmong////moelan///
-Myratma////myrat///
-Saradush////zoth///
Waterdeep/nib/shard/moon/dragon/sun/toal (2/– gp), harbor moon (50/2 gp)/GTR p. 26
Vast///////
-Ravens Bluff////raven///The City of Ravens Bluff p. 66, 79
Western Heartlands///////
///////
Chessenta//talent//drake///FR10 Old Empires p. 56
Unther/wedge (Ľ cp)/egora//sheka///The Alabaster Staff
Serôs (pearls)/white (seyar)/yellow (hayar)//green (tayar)/blue (nuyar)//Sea of Fallen Stars p. 55
?////highcrown (HoF p. 64)/plat//
Shadowlord Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 01:26:29
Ack, not ogre, more like goblin..... Anyways, WotSQ stands for The War of the Spider Queen Series, created by R.A. Salvatore, and written by many up and coming authors.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 22:58:36
Shadowlord Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 21:26:05
No problem. As I have said before, I know pretty much all there is to know about the drow and about Netheril. Oh, to let you know, those who follow Vhaeraun often trade in "Masks", as Vhaeraun is the "Masked Lord." Eilistraee's followers tend to use the currency of whichever society they are closest to, but can sometimes mint silver "Moons". They do not mint in anything but silver, platinum, or any other metal with that color sheen, though I doubt they use aluminum.....
Lord Rad Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 18:21:21
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Gimme anything you got, I don't recall that kind of information from the sources I have. Haven't read the WotSQ books: not actively enthusiastic about drow, and hesitant to start on a long series.

Anyone recall the currency of any of the Western Heartlands trade-cities being named?

Like drow or not, the WotSQ series is FANTASTIC!!! But I wont get off-topic

Nice info Shadowlord, thanks

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000