Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 About Askavar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Barastir Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 18:34:01
I was reading the 2nd Edition FR box last month, and this passage in the "Lost Empires" sidebar caught my attention:

Askavar: An elven community in what is now the Wood of
Sharp Teeth. It was abandoned by the elves some 800 years ago
(estimated), its people heading for Evereska or Evermeet.

Was any detail about this elven community published after that? It seems an expansion to Bioware's Baldur Gate was called "Stone of Askavar" or something like that, anyone here know which was its plot, and if it revealed something else from this mysterious elven realm?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 04 Mar 2020 : 18:23:51
Master Barastir,

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. I was curious and hopeful! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Not really.

Barastir Posted - 04 Mar 2020 : 18:06:39
Not really.
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 00:04:28
Master Barastir,

Bumping this one from a few years ago. ;)

Any word from anyone?

Best regards,

quote:

Markustay,

Any news about this topic? Have Ed answered this one?

cpthero2 Posted - 02 Mar 2020 : 00:01:13
Master Barastir, et alia,

What realm is it then that has those curvy, dark-skinned ladies. Not everyone is looking for the skinny... :) haha

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
I thought the 60's were over?

Long hair, thin bodies, living close to the nature... Those are the elves! Peace and love!

Duneth Despana Posted - 25 Oct 2017 : 12:33:45
quote:
Still waiting to see some of that appear somewhere.......

I really truly hope to one day read all the Eric Realmslore (High Forest, Under Illefarn Anew and now this) we haven't had access to through the years...
Barastir Posted - 21 May 2015 : 18:07:12
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Yes it should be Askavar, I remember reading about that passage on Candlekeep and one of the grognards (meant in the nice way) pointed out the mistake

Actually, on the 1st page of this very topic we mentioned it. See the 25 Jun 2010 posts...
George Krashos Posted - 21 May 2015 : 14:44:55
Had another look at and the source didn't provide any new lore. I think our only salvation lies with Ed.

I did however come across something by Steven Schend that never made the final edit for the "Fall of Myth Drannor" product - I've posted it on his thread in the Chamber of Sages.

-- George Krashos
Markustay Posted - 21 May 2015 : 13:36:46
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think that I might be able to dig up some lore on Askavar as I saw something as I was trawling through some other stuff the other night. Now all I have to do is find it again ...

-- George Krashos

We never got that far south, but I believe Eric's extensive history of Evereska may have had some tie-ins. He tried to include most of the elven lore and groups from the Western heartlands in that.

Still waiting to see some of that appear somewhere.......
Duneth Despana Posted - 21 May 2015 : 10:55:19
That would be absolutely amazing! Thank you in advance!
George Krashos Posted - 21 May 2015 : 02:08:57
I think that I might be able to dig up some lore on Askavar as I saw something as I was trawling through some other stuff the other night. Now all I have to do is find it again ...

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 20 May 2015 : 19:56:04
Yes it should be Askavar, I remember reading about that passage on Candlekeep and one of the grognards (meant in the nice way) pointed out the mistake
Duneth Despana Posted - 20 May 2015 : 19:44:10
oops.. I meant to only post this here but accidentally also posted it in the Ed thread :-/

I note this passage from Dragon #222 about elves in the Wood of the Sharp Teeth:

'The Wood of the Sharp Teeth:
Recently, a small group of green elves
(about 50) has broken off from the tribe in
the Misty Forest and headed into the
Wood of Sharp Teeth near Baldur's Gate.
It seems there was an argument between
Speaker Eamond and Derdryl, an older
and much sterner elf, about courting the
favors of humans. The last report from
the Derdryl's group said that they had
made a temporary pact with a tribe of
satyrs and were continuing to forage deep
into the woods. Derdryl, it seems, is
obsessed in finding the ancient elven
empire of Anauria [[should this actually be Askavar*]] . He has used the argument
between himself and Eamond to
gather a group to explore the unknown
reaches of the Sharp Teeth. What he
expects to find is up to speculation. The
ruins of that fabled empire are old even
by elven standards, and it would appear
that Derdryl is leading his group on a
wild, and very dangerous, goose chase.'
Duneth Despana Posted - 09 Dec 2014 : 01:32:12
Firewine Bridge is better detailed in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast in the Gullykin entry. I'll check if Askavar and Firewine line up chronologically. Edit: The magical battle of Firewine Bridge happened only 'some 200 winters' ago... well, according to Volo.
Barastir Posted - 07 Feb 2011 : 11:04:12
I've searched through Ed's scrolls 2010 and 2011, for our question was raised in last July, and since I haven't found an answer I asked if the question would not have been forgotten. However, many people told me Ed never forgets, and that sometimes the questions are answered almost immediatly, but normally there is no time set for an answer. At least one question was answered two yars afer it was asked, so basically, let's wait! We all know Ed is an hectic man!
bladeinAmn Posted - 07 Feb 2011 : 05:15:10
Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate is exclusively within the manual for BG1, and Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (NOT talking about the hardcover Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, period)is exclusively within the manual for BG2. You can get both of them in PDF format when buying the games from gog.com. DRM-free, and juss $9.99 each.
Markustay Posted - 06 Feb 2011 : 19:57:31
Not AFAIK.

I have a slew of geography questions backlogged, and both this and the unnamed dwarven ruins in the north (that THO alluded to) hold great interest to me ATM.

Still in Kentucky, but when I get home I will crack my maps back open and see what I come up with. At the very least I will be placing the Firewine Bridge.

I probably should have played those games. Gullykin sounds familiar, so I am assuming it is in one of the Volo's guides (since I can't check them or my maps right now).
Barastir Posted - 27 Jan 2011 : 10:43:03
Markustay,

Any news about this topic? Have Ed answered this one?
Barastir Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 16:06:48
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn
Barastir, you're missing out on an outright awesome game, especially for Realms fans such as ourselves!

I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Realms, but I'm not such a fan of C-RPGs, especially those that demand some time... But I think of playing it again, from times to times.

quote:
... and you meet a young bard in the middle of the bridge who tells a story of a band of warriors that experienced a betrayal within their ranks, and how their spirits are not at all at rest (and then the PC and his/her party can go explore it further, if so inclined). I can't remember the poem, but I do remember that it was rather an impressive piece of work.

I've found either this poem and the story of the Ghost Knights yesterday, seeking "Firewine Bridge" over the internet. Thank you fot the lore, anyway! And yes, it's a nice poem (although I'm not an expert on these matters)!

bladeinAmn Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 08:02:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

That seems like a good bit of connecting lore. Are there any other ancient elven realms in the vicinity to account for the bridge? If not, you may have found the first potential remnant.

Ha! Me and all the other ppl who've played this great game!

I don't remember hearing of any other ancient elven realms or even still existing elven realms, in the vincinity. I juss remember the in-game lore telling of a great magical battle that destroyed the entire city, and all that remains to this day is the Firewine Bridge.

quote:

] Thank you, bladeinAmn. I have this game, but I never played it all. Is there any mission/adventure connected to this bridge? Any further details? And out of the computer game, does anyone knows if there is any published lore about this Firewine Bridge? I don't recall seeing any mention elsewhere...

Barastir, you're missing out on an outright awsome game, especially for Realms fans such as ourselves!

Yes there are missions/adventures connected to the bridge. As far as adventure hooks related to the old realm of Askavar, there are roving bands of low-level undead (skeleton's and zombies of the fallen warriors who died in the battle, or reanimated corpses of would-be tomb raiders, perhaps), and you meet a young bard in the middle of the bridge who tells a story of a band of warriors that experienced a betrayal within their ranks, and how their spirits are not at all at rest (and then the PC and his/her party can go explore it further, if so inclined). I can't remember the poem, but I do remember that it was rather an impressive piece of work.

The Firewine Bridge is right near a halfling hamlet of Gullykin. The only visitors those halflings get are merchants who trade for the wine they make (the winery also dubs as a the local temple!) and those looking to tend thier wounds from and run away from Durlag's Tower.

Putting the lore pieces we have together via BG1 and the 2e FRCG, it appears as though due to the dangers en route to the Wood of Sharp Teeth, the dangers within the edges of this same Wood, the Gullykin halflings not caring enough to explore the dangers further away from their homes, the tourist attraction and dungeon that Durlag's Tower presents itself, and the Evereska elves not setting up camp anywhere near, it appears as though the land of the former Askavar settlements have long gone undiscovered due to other interests and dangerous deterrents.
Barastir Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 13:21:24
quote:
In the C-RPG Baldur's Gate 1, the lore about the Firewine Bridge is that its a relic of an old elf city that is now in ruins. The Firewine Bridge is close to and north of Durlag's Tower, making it even closer to the Wood of Sharp Teeth than Durlag's Tower. And as we know, the Wood of Sharp Teeth is where the Askavar elves lived before migrating to Evereska and Evermeet.

Thank you, bladeinAmn. I have this game, but I never played it all. Is there any mission/adventure connected to this bridge? Any further details? And out of the computer game, does anyone knows if there is any published lore about this Firewine Bridge? I don't recall seeing any mention elsewhere...
Dark Wizard Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 06:38:24
That seems like a good bit of connecting lore. Are there any other ancient elven realms in the vicinity to account for the bridge? If not, you may have found the first potential remnant.
bladeinAmn Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 06:13:43
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Sorry for the delay on this.

Askavar is mentioned in 1085 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (A Grand Tour of the Realms) p 10. It states it is located in what is now called the Wood of Sharp Teeth and that it was abandoned 800 years ago give or take, placing it around 568 DR.

It is mentioned in passing to describe pottery on page 4 of 9487 Giantcraft.

Page 62 of Champions of Valor also mentions Askavar again placing it in the Wood of Sharp Teeth, it also references those woods by what they were called then, Glimmerwood.

And finally page 30 of Dragon 251 which refers to Askalvar. Most feel that its just a typo for Askavar especially since it was also located in the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

I know this is repeating some stuff from above but that's all my notes.

I juss thought of something that may or may not be a quality add to this thread.

In the C-RPG Baldur's Gate 1, the lore about the Firewine Bridge is that its a relic of an old elf city that is now in ruins. The Firewine Bridge is close to and north of Durlag's Tower, making it even closer to the Wood of Sharp Teeth than Durlag's Tower. And as we know, the Wood of Sharp Teeth is where the Askavar elves lived before migrating to Evereska and Evermeet.
Barastir Posted - 05 Jul 2010 : 18:44:32
quote:
Originally posted by X_Ice_X

Any news about this?

Nothing until now, X_Ice_X. Markustay posted a question for Ed, but I'm not sure if it was answered.
X_Ice_X Posted - 05 Jul 2010 : 17:46:48
Any news about this?
Barastir Posted - 02 Jul 2010 : 11:49:36
quote:

Long hair, thin bodies, living close to the nature... Those are the elves! Peace and love!
Markustay Posted - 02 Jul 2010 : 00:03:27
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

<snip> Wild is just a lifestyle choice...

Barastir Posted - 01 Jul 2010 : 17:28:22
The Talfir lived on the woods that would be later known as "Reaching Woods". This forest was part of the woods of the elven realm of Shantel Othreier, but its extension is not clear in any sourcebook I found this far. I've also discovered that Shantel Othreier was inhabited by moon and gold elves, but since refugees from Illefarn moved there in some point of its history, there were at least some green elves there, too. This ancient realm fell in the last Crown Wars, some 11,000 years ago, so even if Askavar can be in the same location, their inhabitants could be at most very distant descendants from this much older kingdom.

PS: Forgot the "sylvan", that was yet another name for the Sy-Tel'Quessir in 2e!

(Posting in my birthday, my 73th post, when I was born in '73)
Snowblood Posted - 01 Jul 2010 : 12:56:30
Wood, Wild & Sylvan elf are all labels for indigenous Green Elves...Wild is just a lifestyle choice not a racial one...WOST was Shantel Othreien..... the ruins there are from that time.
Brimstone Posted - 01 Jul 2010 : 02:45:08
{sarcasm on}But, but I was told that 'every square inch' of the setting was 'super detailed'?{/sarcasm off}

The Kingdom of Ebonfar fought with the Kingdom of Najara to create the Fields of the Dead in the Western Heartlands.
Markustay Posted - 30 Jun 2010 : 21:47:50
I haven't read the novel(s) having to do with the Shadowking, but from what little I know of the story it took place in that region, and it took place some time ago (although I don't know if it was 50 yrs, or several centuries). However, the history of the people of the place (the Talfir) seem to go back to the beginning of the world (which really screws up some of my musings).

Anyone here remember reading those? perhaps it has received all these mentions in source because it was important to a novel?

It just seems strange that it keeps getting brought-up, when we know almost nothing about it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000