Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Candlekeep Webmaster Posted - 19 Aug 2002 : 21:01:33
This post is to ask visitors to the site what you would like to see devloped next at Candlekeep. Are there any new sections you wish to have created or anything current that you think should be changed or expanded? Your input is essential to help us provide a resource for the Forgotten Realms campiagn setting.

Please post your suggestions here and tell us what you would like to see.

Thanks for your time and thanks for your continued support of the site.

Rad
Candlekeep Webmaster

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gelcur Posted - 15 Apr 2021 : 17:57:41
Thanks for the quick reply. I likely knew this and had forgotten about it, whoops.

More important than anything else is that the site keeps going, everything else is just a cherry on top. Keep up the good work.
Alaundo Posted - 15 Apr 2021 : 15:39:09
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

Two requests:
1) Increase private message limit, could be linked to post count, title, or just a request on an individual basis. I guess there's a work around at the moment by msging someone directly from their summary listing?

2) A toggle button on searches that will list by scroll (as it does now) or individual post. This way if I search for the exact phrase "Private Message Limit" I don't have to go through each page of this scroll looking for it. So I could get multiple results for a single long scroll.

Well met

Many thanks for your suggestions. Note, however, that no further code updates or feature enhancements will be made to the forums themselves. The forums will eventually be migrated to another codebase rather than attempt to amend the current platform.
Gelcur Posted - 15 Apr 2021 : 15:36:07
Two requests:
1) Increase private message limit, could be linked to post count, title, or just a request on an individual basis. I guess there's a work around at the moment by msging someone directly from their summary listing?

2) A toggle button on searches that will list by scroll (as it does now) or individual post. This way if I search for the exact phrase "Private Message Limit" I don't have to go through each page of this scroll looking for it. So I could get multiple results for a single long scroll.
Alaundo Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 19:15:32
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Alaundo,

I was thinking about this when I was looking at a fantastic map of Master Markustay's the other day: any possibility of having the ability to insert images, such as maps, into the forum posts? I am sure that would have considerable consequences for storage, but it would be great to have inserts.

Best regards,

Well met

Images are disabled on the forums so as not to create oversized posts and messy threads. There is no plan to remove this restriction. Any such maps and images can be sent into Candlekeep for inclusion on the site if the author wishes.
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 19:09:13
Master Alaundo,

I was thinking about this when I was looking at a fantastic map of Master Markustay's the other day: any possibility of having the ability to insert images, such as maps, into the forum posts? I am sure that would have considerable consequences for storage, but it would be great to have inserts.

Best regards,

Dalor Darden Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 00:04:14
Is there a "Block Member" option that could be installed?
cpthero2 Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 10:13:43
Master Alaundo,

Thank you for the swift reply!

quote:
Alas not. The amount of effort to migrate and translate as planned outweighs the need.

I am sure it has been asked, but in case it hasn't... have you all considered a crowd funding operation to fund the expenses including labor, tech, legal, etc.?

quote:
Over the years, the Internet has changed from being primarily forums and content based to other mediums and formats. With social media and such, sites such as this are becoming less visited and of value. Candlekeep will always be here but unless there are significant changes in time, resource, money, I can't see significant overhauls taking place.

Understandable.

quote:
That said, forum migration is on the cards but the site itself is more than likely to remain old and clunky.

Well, I love the community and content. I just would love to see something done to ensure younger folk keep coming here and stay! :)

Best regards,

Alaundo Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 10:08:27
quote:

Master Alaundo,

My apologies for troubling you about this, but after searching for more information Candlekeep 2.0, I could not find any. Are there any updates?

Best regards,

Well met

Alas not. The amount of effort to migrate and translate as planned outweighs the need. Over the years, the Internet has changed from being primarily forums and content based to other mediums and formats. With social media and such, sites such as this are becoming less visited and of value. Candlekeep will always be here but unless there are significant changes in time, resource, money, I can't see significant overhauls taking place.

That said, forum migration is on the cards but the site itself is more than likely to remain old and clunky.
cpthero2 Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 10:01:21
Great Reader Kentinal,

Fair enough! haha

Best regards,

Kentinal Posted - 25 Oct 2020 : 22:44:54
quote:

Master Alaundo,

My apologies for troubling you about this, but after searching for more information Candlekeep 2.0, I could not find any. Are there any updates?

Best regards,

Candlekeep 2.0 clearly is using Sage time. Which means it might take ten years give or take about nine.
cpthero2 Posted - 25 Oct 2020 : 22:11:05
Master Alaundo,

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Dec 2017 : 22:13:01
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This is a VERY minor request. There are two 'smileys' (emoticons) we desperately need - a 'rimshot' one, and a Cthulhu one. Most sites have those.

We could replace the 'shy' one (no one ever uses it, and 'blush' works just as well), and also the Eightball - I've never seen anyone use that one, either.

Thanks

Markustay Posted - 18 Dec 2017 : 21:04:19
This is a VERY minor request. There are two 'smileys' (emoticons) we desperately need - a 'rimshot' one, and a Cthulhu one. Most sites have those.

We could replace the 'shy' one (no one ever uses it, and 'blush' works just as well), and also the Eightball - I've never seen anyone use that one, either.

Thanks
Alaundo Posted - 18 Nov 2016 : 08:50:11
Well met

Thanks for your comments, cpthero2. Indeed, this is all intended for Candlekeep v2.0, which has long been talked about and drafted up. angerZen, thy offer has not gone unheeded and when the time is right, we will be on a roll and requiring such assistance so many thanks for your offer of labours.
angerZen Posted - 17 Nov 2016 : 19:58:01
My previously made offer made in this thread still stands, but I do not wish to pressure anyone so do not try to force the issue.

Even if my offer of resources is not taken up, then I can at least offer my limited knowledge of forum software (I've installed, run, moderated, converted to/from, a lot of the popular forum packages over a period of about 14 years). I'm just a PM away.
cpthero2 Posted - 17 Oct 2016 : 05:22:01
Good evening Lord Webmaster, et alia,

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I wanted to know if you have considered hiring a team of Meta Data librarians to facilitate a high-end systems overhaul that would allow for tagging, and other beneficial systems tools that would allow visitors of the Library to search, submit, and query the vast banks of knowledge of the site?

I know the operative word here is "hire", but I thought perhaps a solid crowdfunding plan might facilitate the needed money to provide for such a solution. I was speaking with my wife recently who is a librarian herself with a great depth and breadth of knowledge in information systems, archival, reference, metadata, and more, and she stated that those kinds of solution may be an option with Meta Data librarians. Currently, the labor supply model for librarians is quite bleak as their is a disproportionate amount of laborers to jobs, and anything that can help a librarian stand apart from their peers in their job seeking endeavors is of extraordinary important. My wife and I are sadly very aware of this as the competition has been remarkably steep for my wife (though she recently landed an AMAZING job, so yay!), but I digress.

I believe that considering a business solutions approach from a few different angles may provide for some wonderful options in making such a daunting project not only manageable, but attainable.

I am more than happy to discuss the idea further if any of your esteemed staff feel there is merit in such a consideration.

With great respect and appreciation,

Alaundo Posted - 03 Feb 2016 : 09:16:08
Well met,

All opinions are very welcome, regardless of the level of scribes. Thank ye for the suggestions, both have been mentioned previously too and are on the list to review and consider.
StarryEyes Posted - 29 Jan 2016 : 20:38:19
Just joined so my opinion probably doesn't carry any weight. I think there should be a chat, but it should be in the form of an IRC channel. I'd also like to suggest a new board called "Other Worlds" where members can discuss other campaign settings.
Markustay Posted - 06 Jan 2014 : 17:28:37
Yeah, I never really 'got' the rep system on some sites. On Coolminiornot you could vote on people's miniatures, which would give you an average on a scale of 1-10, but that was more about talent and less about personalities. Same goes for Cartographersguild - the rep has more to do with the artist's work.

The fact is, when you have a multi-national forum (as most are these days), many people do not have English as their primary language, and therefor their posts won't be as elegantly phrased as others, which would lead them to getting less 'rep' then someone who could couch even the simplest of phrases in grandiloquent verbiage. {irony intended}

NEW Suggestion: (which is the real reason why I came into this section)
How about we get a another sub-forum for homebrew FR lore? I realize a lot of it gets spread around into all different forums (especially mine ), but I think if we just had a specific forum for that it would be good. I am not talking about 'Running the Realms' - thats sounds more like something for people with specific campaigns in mind. I am talking about a place we can just stick one-off, small articles (each thread could become an on-going article, in effect).

As of right now, I never know where to stick small stuff. Since we aren't moving forward with Candlekeep Compendium anymore, we should have a place here for that (and not just on some dusty shelf when folks submit stuff directly to Alaundo). Some ideas are only partial, and not complete articles, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have a home of their own. Interesting places, plots, characters, critters, etc - just ideas people had they'd like to share. The 'Running the Realms' forum seems too much like a campaign-builder, and thats not what I am envisioning for this. It would almost be along the lines of a 'current clack' (and we could even have those - individual threads about 'News from Waterdeep", etc).

In fact... it would be like our own, on-going Candlekeep broadsheet(newspaper). We could even have an advice column.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 03 Jan 2014 : 04:28:51
Well, the option would be to like what a user writes, not to like them directly. Note also that the giving of XP is private in that the receiver gets a notice and short message (if any), but none of that is visible on a thread or to the public.

I see that EnWorld's system requires users to spread the love around. You can't, for instance, give XP to the same person over and over. Hopefully that's something that could be done here as well, along with maybe a minimum number of posts (20 - 100) before a user can start awarding or receiving XP.

I don't have that much experience with the option to publicly like a post in a forum setting where disagreements can occur (Facebook is closest, but usually always friendly in my experience). I worry that such might discourage people from joining a conversation if they see their opinion is in opposition to one that's received lots of likes.

To me it seems more appropriate to keep it private. Also, to modify the Code of Conduct such that users are warned that trolling via the Reputation system is grounds for an automatic one month ban.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jan 2014 : 23:57:21
I think I'd rather see an option to like posts, rather than an option to like the poster... As Ayrik said, a rep system for individuals could easily be abused, and we've unfortunately had more than one person who would happily abuse such a thing. I'll not give details, but I can say for a fact that I know of at least one scribe that left these halls purely because of trolls.
Ayrik Posted - 02 Jan 2014 : 22:35:01
+Rep systems are a common feature on many forum engines, including vBulletin (the most popular). It‘s generally a good thing and provides a useful rough indicator of who knows their stuff - yet it can also be abused and provide another “private“ tool for trolls and spammers to annoy people. Many forums disable the default Reputation system because it also tends to generate endless discussions about nothing but the workings of the Reputation system.

I second JG‘s suggestion to have something like this in place, although I would recommend that the tool is not enabled until scribes have first passed a probationary period and contributed some quantity of useful posts.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 02 Jan 2014 : 05:26:17
Something I'd like to see is the option to award other users XP or Reputation points. These correspond to a "level" for the user, that's posted below their name and above their user portrait.

EnWorld has a feature of this sort and it's really quite motivating to try and write something that other people will like enough to award you a point of experience for. Also, it's nice to be able to say "thanks" or "nice post" or "I couldn't have said it better," and these are all things you can do when you award someone a point of experience.

A good example of a post I think would qualify would be Marco Volo's recent query about Waterdeep adventure clubs, which has turned into a gift that keeps on giving in terms of answers from Ed that are just great reads.
Derulbaskul Posted - 07 Oct 2013 : 09:01:24
OK, I just switch to Chrome and it's the same as Firefox which I normally use.

I only use Internet Explorer for its intended purpose - downloading other browsers - so I'll take your word that it works on IE.

Hehe... this may be the only website in the world optimised for use with IE! :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2013 : 06:19:34
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

No, the functionality of highlighting your text and hitting control and whatever -- that is already present. It works with underlining, bolding, and italicizing. I did it with those words, without going near the bracket keys or the formatting buttons above.

But that only works only is quote and even then it works poorly at least with my interface with candlekeep.

That is it appears your settings interface make it possible for you to do things I can not do.

I can do it outside of a quote, and did so with my previous post. I'm using IE10 on a Win7 machine. Pretty sure I've done it in Chrome on my work computer, too, but I'm not sure -- Chrome on that system (also Win7) doesn't quite behave like Chrome on my home computer.
Kentinal Posted - 07 Oct 2013 : 05:42:00
quote:

No, the functionality of highlighting your text and hitting control and whatever -- that is already present. It works with underlining, bolding, and italicizing. I did it with those words, without going near the bracket keys or the formatting buttons above.

But that only works only is quote and even then it works poorly at least with my interface with candlekeep.

That is it appears your settings interface make it possible for you to do things I can not do.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2013 : 05:20:01
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

quote:

quote:

(snip) and the ability to add bold, underline and italics as you can on every other messageboard (ctrl + b/u/i). Simple stuff.

Um... That functionality is already in place.

Yes, I know you can add these but you have to manually type {i} and {/i} (square brackets, I know) or click the format button before you start typing and type between the two codes. It's a small thing but when you're typing quickly adding these extra steps only on Noah's old bulletin board software that first saw use on the ark is a little annoying.

Anyway, as I said in my post, it's a small thing.

Derulbaskul Posted - 07 Oct 2013 : 04:23:55
quote:

quote:

(snip) and the ability to add bold, underline and italics as you can on every other messageboard (ctrl + b/u/i). Simple stuff.

quote:

Oh, and an auto-correct function to change "cannon" to "canon". ;)

And "rouge" to "rogue".

Yes, I know you can add these but you have to manually type {i} and {/i} (square brackets, I know) or click the format button before you start typing and type between the two codes. It's a small thing but when you're typing quickly adding these extra steps only on Noah's old bulletin board software that first saw use on the ark is a little annoying.

Anyway, as I said in my post, it's a small thing.

And, yes, "rogue" and "rouge". Horrible. I never understood why ENWorld, for example, didn't place "rouge" on the naughty list of words so that it's simply replaced by :) :) :) :) :) in any post where it appears. ;)

To be frank, I don't know why I even made my original post. This is a free site, we've got no "rights" here (and that's not a complaint - it is free) and this has been talked about for more than a decade and nothing has happened.

Now I am wondering if Sage's pathological procrastination is the cause of this or if he actually caught it from being at Candlekeep.... ;)
Dennis Posted - 06 Oct 2013 : 17:23:28

From an editor's point of view:

Straight to curly quotes (both single and double)

Double/triple hyphens to em dash

En dash

Periods and commas before closing quotation marks (auto correct)

Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Oct 2013 : 17:02:37
quote:

quote:

Oh, and an auto-correct function to change "cannon" to "canon". ;)

And "rouge" to "rogue".

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000