Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pre-Organization of the Candlekeep Compendium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Matt James Posted - 10 Jun 2010 : 15:20:14
If a compendium were to be recreated, how would you like to break it down? I think we can pull the community back in by segmenting the next compendium into eras that both sate the sensibilities of the members here and help to create a wonderful fan product.

This would also provide the necessary buffer to keep the various parties at bay with what they wish to contribute to.

Thoughts? We are all die-hard and loyal fans. I see no reason to spoil over our differences when we can contribute equitably to the world we love, yes? This is perhaps a better way of putting my vision that I had several months ago.

Please discuss accordingly with the ideas you think you can contribute. There is no reason to have game editions bleed into this as you would be sticking to your favorite time in the Realms. The only thing I ask, is that we try not to rewrite what has been done and what is ongoing in the Realms. From my point of view, it is disrepectful of those still creating stories for the Realms. On the legal side, you are grossly affecting the IP of WotC and would be inviting unnecessary attention to the project.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 20 May 2012 : 17:00:08
Perhaps we could get similar status (just for the CKC) for our lore as the LFR guys got in 4e?

So long as everything was edited/looked-over by someone official (like Matt, or whoever will be in a CORE-tupe group). Since we don't all know about NDA's and other plans, the fluff would have to remain fairly self-contained (as it has been up to now... except for Gray's stuff, but most of that has gone canon now anyway).

I really wish this would get a reboot - I need to put my Ammathtar lore somewhere (solving the bad conflict between the 2e and 3e versions of it). I figure it could be part of an on-going "Places of Interest" series.

Glad to see this hasn't been forgotten.
Lord Karsus Posted - 20 May 2012 : 05:41:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Yes.

As Hawkins indicates above, you're best option is to contact Alaundo.

I'll note, however, that there is no specific timetable as to when your material will be uploaded to the site. So I can only really say that it will be available to the rest of the community once Big Al has had the time to incorporate these items into the site archives.

-Good to know; thanks.
Dalor Darden Posted - 20 May 2012 : 04:16:25
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Alas, Big Al seems to be completely swamped with "the details" and sometimes may forget as well.

Ixinos has been done for quite some time and still isn't on the site I don't think.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11767

It can serve to politely remind Alaundo oft times, as well.

I sometimes believe that his "To-Do" list might one day rival my own.

The needs of The Keep can always be easily outweighed by real life!
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 20 May 2012 : 04:02:47
Count me in. Very interested to see the Compendium released again.
The Sage Posted - 20 May 2012 : 03:42:21
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Alas, Big Al seems to be completely swamped with "the details" and sometimes may forget as well.

Ixinos has been done for quite some time and still isn't on the site I don't think.

It can serve to politely remind Alaundo oft times, as well.

I sometimes believe that his "To-Do" list might one day rival my own.
Dalor Darden Posted - 20 May 2012 : 02:05:17

The Sage Posted - 20 May 2012 : 01:51:11
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Not necessarily Candlekeep Compendium related, but does the website itself still accept and put-up fan-made stuff? I've been going through and erasing all kind of old documents that I have on my computer, and I found quite a few things that were Forgotten Realms related what I've written for whatever.

Yes.

As Hawkins indicates above, you're best option is to contact Alaundo.

I'll note, however, that there is no specific timetable as to when your material will be uploaded to the site. So I can only really say that it will be available to the rest of the community once Big Al has had the time to incorporate these items into the site archives.
Hawkins Posted - 20 May 2012 : 00:10:17
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Not necessarily Candlekeep Compendium related, but does the website itself still accept and put-up fan-made stuff? I've been going through and erasing all kind of old documents that I have on my computer, and I found quite a few things that were Forgotten Realms related what I've written for whatever.

I would contact Alaundo. He is the one who posts such things on the Candlekeep site.
Lord Karsus Posted - 19 May 2012 : 23:10:00
The Sage Posted - 15 May 2012 : 03:38:31
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:

Well, I know for my part, I'm still waiting to hear back from Big Al. But I'll leave the actual subject of this discussion to Matt himself.

** SUMMON SCROLL ***

I would like to revisit this once the 5e open playtest is well underway. A new OGL/GSL might be in the works as well. Either way. Wouldn't it be nice to have everything all set and ready for print prior? Who's in?

I'll say, tentatively, yes. So long as this supposed OGL/GSL proves to be less-vague in the legalese of using Wizards' IP, than it's current iteration, then I will indeed count myself among those scholarly folk interested in relaunching the Candlekeep Compendium.
Sightless Posted - 15 May 2012 : 01:58:35
"OGB or the VG's, or tables and what-not that are edition-neutral "

And so my questions begin, because often what you think something is, actually isn't. Blind men and the elephent, anyone, of course, nothing smells quite like an elephent, but enough of that.

OGB? this probably stands for the Open Game, something, not sure about the other one. I'll continue to follow this, and hold off posting major relms stuff, or rather anything related to something I've created, until its answered.

Matt James Posted - 15 May 2012 : 01:18:32
quote:

Well, I know for my part, I'm still waiting to hear back from Big Al. But I'll leave the actual subject of this discussion to Matt himself.

** SUMMON SCROLL ***

I would like to revisit this once the 5e open playtest is well underway. A new OGL/GSL might be in the works as well. Either way. Wouldn't it be nice to have everything all set and ready for print prior? Who's in?
The Sage Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 04:02:21
xaviera Posted - 06 Nov 2010 : 03:36:57
Anything happening with this?
Markustay Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 18:36:34
LOL...

Would you believe I am actually considering stating something with 4e stats?

Stranger things have happened.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 17:01:49
I'm still waitito hear what format we need to use....
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 06:24:41
Ugh... I've been a bit too busy to even look at my article proposition right now.
The Sage Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 05:35:07
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

We still waiting on Alaundo? Has anyone been in touch with him?

I have, and I've been waiting to hear back from him on this. Bear in mind, though, that he's been REALLY busy.
Markustay Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 04:35:48
***BUMP***

Sooooo... what's the dealio?

We still waiting on Alaundo? Has anyone been in touch with him?
Kyrene Posted - 21 Jul 2010 : 08:29:38
Yes, but what about magic or specific items, or like in my case the two items and construct I designed for my article? And doubly so, again in my case, where one doesn't have any reference to 4E rules to make the crunch 4E. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no free portion of the 4E DMG/PH/MM, like there was with the stuff that's under the OGL (I think those were almost word for word copies of the 3.5E DMG, PH and MM)? All this tiptoeing around the Fansite Policy (FP or whatever the correct acronym is) just confuses me all the time.

And, don't we run the risk of copyright infringement more when writing/designing under the FP than under OGL, even if anything Realms would not be covered by the OGL anyway? Could someone with a bit of knowledge in this area please explain it to us?

From what I understand CK hasn't signed [up for] the FP and therefore can't host any 4E material?
Even if the FP is signed, how much of 4E becomes availible for use to desgin more 4E crunch?
Regardless of the above, the Forgotten Realms is not covered by either the OGL or FP, so how much (if not everything) cannot be used due to copyright?
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 21:07:25
I know I mentioned it before, but it was generally agreed that if you were going to put NPC stats, keep them simple. Like in the old 2E/AD&D days of (LN half-elf fighter 10).
Markustay Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 20:57:39
I would assume that it is not only safe to produce 4e crunch - it would probably be welcomed by WotC staff - it would show our support.

A book with all crunch from previous editions would be frowned upon (although they could do little about 3e/OGL crunch).

A book with mixed 3e and 4e crunch could become a HUGE problem for us. Since WotC is no longer supporting OGL, and Paizo - their competitor - is, that would be a slap in the face. We would basically taking their IP and turning it into material that can be used with another company's rules.

Ergo, I will re-iterate what I said from the beginning - go 'crunch lite', or go 4e, for our articles. And by 'crunch lite' I mean the 'fluffy crunch' like we had in the OGB or the VG's, or tables and what-not that are edition-neutral (like a table to roll for a random effect from a magical artifact). if we put hard rules in for 4e alongside rules for any other editions, we are opening up a huge can of worms.

Even if they didn't really care, they would still be forced to act, because by not doing so, they set a precedent - one that could possibly stand up in court if they were ever challenged in some way concerning something they REALLY care about.

We are small potatoes - like a pebble cast into a pond - but we can create big ripples if ignored.
Hawkins Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 16:21:18
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

I don't think we're even allowed to design 4E crunch, or am I wrong? I know I kept my crunch OGL so that any 4E player can convert it privately.
I really don't see why not because I'm not taking something of 4E and turning it into 3e or any previous edition. Its more or less taking previous stuff and converting/updating it to 4E's rules (and I'm not even giving information about the rules.) Some clarification is required here :).

And thanks for re-posting my question Hawkins, much appreciated.
Hey Matt, do you have time to adjudicate on this issue? Also, has anyone who knows LFR people managed to get a hold of them to find out what their guidelines for creating crunch are? I think that if we stick within similar parameters we should be fine.
Diffan Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 15:00:14
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

I don't think we're even allowed to design 4E crunch, or am I wrong? I know I kept my crunch OGL so that any 4E player can convert it privately.

I really don't see why not because I'm not taking something of 4E and turning it into 3e or any previous edition. Its more or less taking previous stuff and converting/updating it to 4E's rules (and I'm not even giving information about the rules.) Some clarification is required here :).

And thanks for re-posting my question Hawkins, much appreciated.
Kyrene Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 11:51:22
I have another few questions though: How do we pre-format our articles? Should it be in forum-ML, HTML, plain text, MS Word, or some other format? Is Compendium X going to be in PDF format again?
Kyrene Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 06:33:16
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

Just so I'm sure, are mechanics (feats, prestige classes, paragon paths, etc...) being permitted or not in this new compendium?
I just wanted to point out that I do not think that Diffan's question ever got answered.

Hawkins Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 20:45:38
quote:

Just so I'm sure, are mechanics (feats, prestige classes, paragon paths, etc...) being permitted or not in this new compendium?
I just wanted to point out that I do not think that Diffan's question ever got answered.
Hawkins Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 20:44:21
I like Ashe's original take on it better.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 20:40:05
Was just thinking that Lantan and its denizens could have been washed away "into" the Feywild (imagine a planar curtain of roiling energy riding the front of the Tsunami)....but deep into the Feywild, such that no practical cross-over/connection exists into the Prime (does 4E even call it the "Prime" still?) like what exists for Evermeet and Evereska.

This would adhere to the FRCG's brute force statement that Lantan, etc...was obliterated, while also allowing for an interesting take on Lantan's inhabitants finding themselves and their toys in a new world.

Do they accept the changes that will come over them as they attune to the Feywild? Or do they hold close to their clockworks and constructs, believing these the best means of surviving?

Do they have a yearning to return home to the Realms? Or is it better to stay?

Perhaps Ashe's gnome was the first to find a way out/way back and has been cataloging the changes to the Realms for his kin back in the Feywild ever since.

Or maybe an enterprising eladrin aided the gnome out of the Feywild, but the gnome skipped out on payment once they arrived on Faerùn. Now said gnome is being chased all over the Realms, meaning he can't stay in one place for too long.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 20:12:42
Hmmm....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000