Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Building a 'better' FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 02 Jun 2010 : 06:56:39
Sorry about the title - don't mean to ruffle feathers.

I've been playing with the maps as usual, and I'm kinda putting together my version of a 'dream setting'. I've been posting stuff in other folks' threads and decided that wasn't very nice, so if anyone is interested in my 'mad scientist' mapping you'll find them here now.

From the last WIP I posted in the Osse thread, I have reduced the size of the Greyhawk part of the map. Two very good reasons for that - first, I thought it was a shame that I had to lose Maztica (I know, I know, its already gone...), when the idea was to build onto the Realms, NOT lose stuff. Then, while trying to figure out how to get it back without compromising the Amalgam, I realized I never bother to check scales! I only fit things together however they looked good.

So, after checking the scale of Greyhawk (no easy task - you find a frigging Oerth map with a damn scale on it!), I matched the continents as near as I could so the scales should be the same no matter what settings maps are used. I also decided the new Anchorome had grown too large, and needed to shrink it down, and here is what I have so far -

A brave new World

Note that I went ahead and corrected the Faerūnian continent as well - the rather ugly silhouette from the FRCS was getting on my nerves. It is still a work-in-progress, so all that stuff you see below that new continent is subject to change. I'm not thrilled with the weird new sub-continent of Hepmozticaland, but it works - all of the known parts of Maztica are there, as well as the small bit of Hepmonaland that shows on the Greyhawk maps.

This is how I arrived at that continents shape -

New continent with campaign overlays

That's the entirety of the Iron Kingdoms setting (Immoren) right there - I like the way the mountains trailing off one map lead to the mts on the other.

Buuuut... the scale for that part is still wrong, plus I'm really not thrilled with how it looks. I corrected the rotation I did on the earlier version - the idea is to be able to use the campaign maps from each setting WITHOUT any alterations. IK is way smaller then I thought - not even as wide as the distance from the Swordcoast to the eastern tip of the lake of Steam.

Now that I fixed the angle, I will work on the size (matching these scales is a pain). I really think the continent will look better for it anyway - its too 'squarish' looking on that end. Plus I still need to pull that setting a bit more north, so I don't have to fuss with Osse as much when I paste Mystara onto it.

I still have to squeeze Xendrik in there, and Nyambe below the new Anchoerik continent.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 14 Aug 2013 : 14:19:33
Hmm, Nehwon and Hyboria are very low-magic campaigns too, though a DM could come up with a reason why those regions are stagnant magically. I guess that would also give whatever 'flavor' they have a bit of a twist from the standard magic levels of Faerun.

I know on DeviantArt you made a comment that it was your goal to allow for the most published adventures to be available in one world...but that would be a never-ending task methinks. Enterprising DMs should probably just place those purchased adventures wherever they best fit and just tweak them as needed.
Markustay Posted - 14 Aug 2013 : 14:03:32
You read my mind - I was just considering this (after looking at some other west-coast based fantasy settings, like Hyboria).

However, we have all the flavors already (with my Amalagam hodgepodge central), so I can't really think of anything else I need.

WoT would also work, but thats just more of what we already have in Faerūn and Oerik. I like the Aeil wastes, though, and it would line-up with the GH maps nicely.
The Arcanamach Posted - 14 Aug 2013 : 13:58:25
Perhaps creating your own sub-continent to add places like Newhon would do the trick.

Heh, now that I'm thinking about it, Hyborea (Conan) would be a cool addition to, but hey, I'm just a greedy bloke.
Markustay Posted - 14 Aug 2013 : 13:21:20
Nope, never finished. Those maps burned, along with all my cool new textures.

I've never considered Newhon - don't know much about it. I've only read one of the books. Since I've decided to merge parts of Mystara with Faerūn (including Thyatis and Alphatia), I no longer have a need for those empires off the west coast of Oerik, so now IK doesn't make as much sense (the Alphatians were supposed to be the IK Orgoth).

I will look into this option - I haven't gone to the other continents yet with my new layout.

EDIT: Middle Earth would also fit.
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Aug 2013 : 11:55:26
Would you consider this:

placing Newhon on the western coast of Oerik? The Mingol would be really close to the Paynim...just a thought instead of the Iron Kingdoms...
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Aug 2013 : 11:01:43
Ever finish this plan?
Markustay Posted - 30 Jun 2010 : 07:58:41
I think once I get used to doing them that way, it will be much quicker. Right now its about the same.

I did more today, but I'll post another WIP when I have a significant amount done. I'm using this project as practice for when I start on my own world - it needs to look professional if I'm going to be building an entire site around it.

I used the 'Wasteland' and 'Swamp' terrains exactly as I had them in the 'official looking' FR maps I did, and I'm not thrilled with them. The badlands aren't too bad (once I switched from the standard Badlands texture to that of Anauroch, which is a mush better color for it). I may just use the swamp color and not the little reedy-looking things - I need to find something that goes with the mountains and trees better, but I want to at least keep the color palette consistent with FR.
Jakk Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 22:56:32
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Just a WIp of the new Laerakond/Returned Abeir map I'm working on - a close-up shot.

Anchorakond WIP

Looks very nice so far... I'm definitely liking the new mountains. Do they take noticeably longer than the 3.5 style of mountains, or can you make such comparisons yet?
Cleric Generic Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 22:26:55
Nice one. Diggin' the new style as well.
Darkmeer Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 16:01:58
Nicely done sir!
Markustay Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 00:56:40
Just a WIp of the new Laerakond/Returned Abeir map I'm working on - a close-up shot.

Anchorakond WIP
Dark Wizard Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 23:12:38
quote:

When I think of Abeir, I picture This map by Clercon over on the Cartographer's Guild boards.

Its so 'exotic looking' that it really works for me.

I wish I had 1/10 that guys talent.

That's awesome. I wished I had 1/100th of his talent.
Jakk Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 23:06:23
Mark: I'll agree that Laerakond is a bit "unnatural" in appearance, but my quickly-developed theory (coming from your map of the place) was that the inner bay was scooped out by a big and fast-moving meteorite, and this same impact separated Laerakond from whatever other landmass(es) it may have been attached to, resulting in its artificial shape. I have a few other ideas, but I'm trying to stimulate my thought processes on something sahuaginish for Osse right now...

I also really like Clercon's map, but it looks more Mystaran than Realmsian to me... certain coastline types automatically associate with certain worlds, and for me, gently curving coastlines ending in relatively sharp points scream "MYSTARA!" Yes, I know Katashaka is built of similar contours, and I had the same initial response when I first saw the continental outline in the 3E FRCS. That being said, thanks to BRJ's historical geography in the GHotR, Katashaka is now essential to some very evil plots involving the Sarrukh that begin to come to fruition as a result of my Spellplague... which is why in my Realms, any Spellplague-induced changes in geography must retain Katashaka.

Mark: Looking forward to seeing your new map experiments.
Markustay Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 22:29:07
When I think of Abeir, I picture This map by Clercon over on the Cartographer's Guild boards.

Its so 'exotic looking' that it really works for me.

I wish I had 1/10 that guys talent.
Cleric Generic Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 22:22:29
It (Laerakond)is pretty cool, I think the issue is less that it's not pretty enough and more that it's a bit unnatural looking, at least compared with the rest of Toril... Which of course has lead me to dreaming up all sorts of other weird and wonderful shapes for the rest of Abeir...
Markustay Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 22:20:51
Jakk - it is rather interesting, but not very realistic, 'as is'. I could have done more to 'fix it', as it were, by making it less roundish and more 'bumpy'. I did that a little, but I should have taken it further. I assume the map in the FRCG to be just a very 'basic' map created by Faerunians - the equivalent of some of those (highly innacurate) World maps created by early RW explorers.

For instance, I would have done something like THIS or THIS - see what I mean? A more 'natural' looking landmass.

Those are just really quick examples I made - all I did was detach Scandinavia, and flip and modify (slightly) the British Isles. I just wanted to show you what I meant - I would have done my own continental outline. There were at least a dozen other places on Earth I could have used as a model.

As for a WIP - hopefully later. I'm trying out some new mountain techniques.
Jakk Posted - 26 Jun 2010 : 20:24:56
I've been busy with work the last few days, not to mention finally getting my D&D books unboxed and shelved almost a month after moving... this is looking very interesting, Mark. Do you have another WIP update for us?

Rob: Thanks for the Anchorome and Katashaka maps!

I'm currently bouncing ideas for Osse off one another to see what sticks together... see the "Project Isle" scroll for more on those musings.

[edit]
Why does nobody like the shape of Laerakond? After some initial I think it's really rather interesting, in a good way.
[/edit]
Quale Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 18:35:28
The shape of Laerakond is too weird, this would be much better.
Cleric Generic Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 07:53:33
Looks pretty awesome, as usual!

Is Fimbrul (or whatever the northern bit of RA's called) going in with (what looks like) that massive crater?
The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 04:48:50
quote:

I'm not sure if anyone is paying attention anymore, or if anyone even cares about this one, but since I'm into it and having fun doing it I'll post a WIP just for posterity -
I'm still "into it." I just haven't had the time to really go over the last few "WIPs" that you've posted.

Sorry for the inattentiveness, Markus.
Markustay Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 04:20:56
I'm not sure if anyone is paying attention anymore, or if anyone even cares about this one, but since I'm into it and having fun doing it I'll post a WIP just for posterity -

Anchorome/Laerakond Conversion

I think I have all the inland Seas finalized, but of course everything may get nudged around as I add in the mountains and forests. I tried to keep as much of Anchorome's terrain 'canon' as I could, while squeezing in the other stuff, so its sort-of a blend of the two right now (and I had to shift some of Anchorome's waterways around a bit as well).
Markustay Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 22:16:44
Nope... too easy.

I want it to fit into the existing, known terrain. After manipulating my Laerakond map a bit (bending, twisting, and smooshing it), I think I can get a layout very similar to the original, but with the Anchorome terrain pretty-much intact. One of the existing lakes even works as the Crescent lake with a bit of fudging.

The 'bite' actually becomes a bay, and the internal parts of that sea become a series of three inland lakes along a very long and wide river. I wasn't sure if I was really going to do this, but what I have so-far (just a buncha pasted stuff) looks so promising I think I'm going to go for it.

I have to say, as botched-together as it currently is, I'm actually liking this layout for Laerakond MUCH better then the original - more intriguing, and more possibilities me thinks. I have more room in the East (which Ed mentioned it was supposed to have anyway), and I can even keep some of the western islands (which blend into that Anchorome chain).

I will be losing the entire northern coast, but thats okay - northern Anchorome was filled with vast mountains anyway, so that giant region (Fimbrul) just becomes all the more huge. The West Coast also goes under some heavy modifications, but it works and, I think, even adds to the feel of the place.

Also, the climates look good when compared to other places at the same latitudes (the official placement actually made little sense). With Evermeet not far off the coast, its small wonder Faerunian explorers never discovered this region before - no one could sail straight across from the Moonshaes.

I even have a rather unique back-story, for folks wanting to use the 4e rules with the 3e setting (as many do, I've heard).

So this isn't an 'anti-Hasbro' project - it actually allows people using the older setting (with any edition of rules) to use the material in the 4e FRCG, thereby making it more appealing to folks who didn't purchase that tome before. And like I said, its rules-neutral - I'm just making everything work within the context of an 'unchanged' world.

I figure with Katashaka being filled-in with Nyambe, and Osse getting fleshed-out in another thread, why not glue returned Abeir into Anchorome? Now just the islands off the coast go back to being Anchorome (as it should be), and the mainland becomes Laerakond.

I'm going to try-out some new techniques with this as well, so don't expect the '3e look' anymore - i need to practice my own style and that's what these little exercises are really all about.
Cleric Generic Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 19:17:07
You could just move Anchorome and Katashaka west a bit and bow the whole things out west as well, then stick Laerakond in the resultant big dent.
Markustay Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 18:56:40
quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

Since the zoomify map is down I've decided to upload these two here so that you can use them for your project.

Anchorome: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2118/anchorome.jpg
Katashaka: http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8118/katashakaw.jpg

-Rob

Thanx Rob!

The original outlines I had for the world map were outlines I did from the map in the FRCS, and they weren't all that accurate. I've since gotten a hold of a copy of the FRIA and have been using those (which is why the north coast of Katashaka changed a bit from my old one with the Islands.

I will be putting those islands back, but I first want to place all of Ed's originals.

Also, this latest project has nothing to do with the 'Dream campaign' - thats a done deal, except for posting all those outlines as I promised. This will be a conversion for folks wanting to use the Laerakond info in a 3e campaign, while leaving the canon map intact.

I just got to figure-out exactly where I will be taking a bite out of Anchorome.
Cleric Generic Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 18:19:37
That massive ring of mountains above the 'A' in Anchorome certainly looks like a crater. Are there any major meteorite impacts recorded in Realmslore?

Anyway, if the main issue with including Anchorome and Katashaka in the mega-map is that they look odd, perhaps exaggerating their features a bit would make them more interesting? e.g. make the three protrusions along Anchorome's north coast larger and reach further out to sea, perhaps ending in an island or two, make various bays and gulfs deeper and more pronounced, and so forth.

I can't think of a non-fiddly and labour intensive way to do that though...
Quale Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 17:36:39
That plateau in Anchorome is interesting, do you think that meteors made those lakes?
HandsomeRob Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 16:34:14
Since the zoomify map is down I've decided to upload these two here so that you can use them for your project.

-Rob
HandsomeRob Posted - 23 Jun 2010 : 16:28:51

-Rob
Markustay Posted - 22 Jun 2010 : 21:40:30
Time for something new

Looks like Anchorome? Guess again

The top half is taken from that Anchorome map floating around on the web (because Rob's map is down right now). The rest is pasted together from several others (mostly from the FRIA), and all pasted onto my sized 'map of Toril' (really just the crappy map from the FRCS blown-up huge). I then colored-in the outline so you guys can see it better, and shrunk it down so it fits onto a standard piece of printer paper. The original is the same scale as the official 3e Faerūn Map.

Anyhow, didn't bother with mountains or anything yet - really just wanted the outline to get started. I also need to dig-up my file on Ed's original Anchorome, so that all of his islands are in their proper places. Also haven't bother to add-in my own Island chain down around Maztica and Katashaka, because I'm not sure how far south I'm going to take this yet.

This will be something very different then what I usually do - similar to what I was going to do with Katashaka, but Rob took care of that 'blend' so I will fiddle with this instead.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 22 Jun 2010 : 04:47:05
You know,if you're looking for another setting to toss into the hat, there's always GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire. The Isle of Westeros is roughly the size of the UK, and the 'main continent' of Osse is really only Europe-sized....

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000