Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A lucky find!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 May 2010 : 22:42:14
So it was several years ago that I noted I had most of the Forgotten Realms stuff, and decided to get the rest. I looked around for a list, and found this site, which I've since made great use of, and linked many other people to.

But there was one thing on that list I couldn't locate... What is the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Anyway? I've been searching for that since 2003 or 2004, and never managed to find it. I've got a saved search for it on eBay, but it has never popped up.

Which meant I was very surprised, today, when I opened a package from eBay and discovered that exact item in my hands. I was so puzzled I had to go to eBay to look at the auctions I'd won... And it was this one: TSR D&D Dungeons Dragons FORGOTTEN REALMS MAP POSTER. I bought it because it was a map I didn't recognize -- and since I've got duplicates of several FR maps, it wouldn't have bothered me if this was another duplicate.

I had no idea I had just won something I've been looking for for several years!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Dec 2021 : 03:05:05
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Spill the beans, Wooly: whom do you serve? Waukeen? Loviatar? Beshaba? Deneir? Shaundakul?

Lurue, of course!
Azar Posted - 31 Dec 2021 : 02:00:59
Spill the beans, Wooly: whom do you serve? Waukeen? Loviatar? Beshaba? Deneir? Shaundakul?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Dec 2021 : 11:46:26
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

So it was several years ago that I noted I had most of the Forgotten Realms stuff, and decided to get the rest. I looked around for a list, and found this site, which I've since made great use of, and linked many other people to.

But there was one thing on that list I couldn't locate... What is the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Anyway? I've been searching for that since 2003 or 2004, and never managed to find it. I've got a saved search for it on eBay, but it has never popped up.

Which meant I was very surprised, today, when I opened a package from eBay and discovered that exact item in my hands. I was so puzzled I had to go to eBay to look at the auctions I'd won... And it was this one: TSR D&D Dungeons Dragons FORGOTTEN REALMS MAP POSTER. I bought it because it was a map I didn't recognize -- and since I've got duplicates of several FR maps, it wouldn't have bothered me if this was another duplicate.

Rezzing this topic again, because someone is selling one of these on eBay.

Clicky!

And it looks like that same seller has another copy...

Clicky!
Azar Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 04:26:03
There are two more copies: one of them is an expensive "Buy It Now" offer and the other is currently in the middle of a cold bidding war.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Dec 2021 : 01:59:22
Holy carp that went for much more than I would have anticipated!
Azar Posted - 05 Dec 2021 : 23:09:36
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

Holy hells. I had my eye one that, but I didn't think it would go up so much!

It is a shame, yes; the artwork on the map portion looks good.
TKU Posted - 05 Dec 2021 : 22:12:03
Holy hells. I had my eye one that, but I didn't think it would go up so much!
Azar Posted - 05 Dec 2021 : 22:03:02
quote:

quote:

Clicky!

No matter how high I bid, a gigantic bid that someone tossed up in advance continuously overtook my offer...and then they were beaten at the last second. Oh well, at least I gave it a shot.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Dec 2021 : 03:39:01
quote:

quote:

quote:

As of late, I have been on a vintage gaming material collecting spree (and not everything is D&D- or Forgotten Realms-based; this is by no means a frugal avocation! It helps that I can expect pennies from heaven by year's end.

At one point, I had every single 1E hardback, and all but 1 of the 2E ones... But I didn't replace a lot of that stuff, after the fire. It was no longer of interest to me.

If I may make an observation? One fire put out another .

Not really. I collected them all, stopped collecting, and then, after the fire, decided there was better things to do with the insurance money.

There was stuff I wanted to replace, but I didn't think it was worth the current asking price, so I didn't.
Azar Posted - 04 Dec 2021 : 02:07:35
quote:

quote:

As of late, I have been on a vintage gaming material collecting spree (and not everything is D&D- or Forgotten Realms-based; this is by no means a frugal avocation! It helps that I can expect pennies from heaven by year's end.

At one point, I had every single 1E hardback, and all but 1 of the 2E ones... But I didn't replace a lot of that stuff, after the fire. It was no longer of interest to me.

If I may make an observation? One fire put out another .
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Dec 2021 : 23:08:39
quote:

Azar Posted - 03 Dec 2021 : 21:27:01
Now, if there's nothing else, I'm going to sacrifice a goat to Tymora or possibly Waukeen.

(Don't worry: it's a statuette...a little chocolate billy goat.)
Azar Posted - 03 Dec 2021 : 20:48:01
quote:

quote:

quote:

Clicky!

Sir, you are an enabler of a most insidious habit .

I know it took me years to get my hands on one, and even then, it was accidental -- so I've no issue pointing it out to others when something like this pops up.

Forgotten Realms stuff is about all I eyeball on eBay, any more, unless I'm looking for something specific.

As of late, I have been on a vintage gaming material collecting spree (and not everything is D&D- or Forgotten Realms-based); this is by no means a frugal avocation! It helps that I can expect pennies from heaven by year's end.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Nov 2021 : 11:52:26
quote:

quote:

Clicky!

I know it took me years to get my hands on one, and even then, it was accidental -- so I've no issue pointing it out to others when something like this pops up.

Forgotten Realms stuff is about all I eyeball on eBay, any more, unless I'm looking for something specific.
Azar Posted - 29 Nov 2021 : 08:11:41
quote:

quote:

Clicky!

Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Nov 2021 : 04:28:02
quote:

Clicky!
Azar Posted - 07 Nov 2021 : 12:32:06
quote:

Another lucky find!

I've been searching for 20ish years for the Encyclopedia Magica set.

The books came out around 1995, and it was a four-volume set of every magic item for every edition of D&D up until that point. I don't recall why I wasn't able to get the books when they came out, but for whatever reason, it was around 2000 when I started searching for them.

I've seen them pop up on eBay multiple times, of course... But people usually want $50-$75 for a single volume, and I've seen the whole set of them listed for as much as $500.

The other day, though, they popped up on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $150. Complete set, and in good condition. I generally don't spend that much on my eBay purchases, but I couldn't pass these up.

So now, at long last, I've got the 4 volumes of the Encyclopedia Magica.

Enjoy your Ring of Caterpillar Control, ya pirate .

Meanwhile...I'm contemplating selling my fourth kidney.
George Krashos Posted - 07 Nov 2021 : 04:11:45
That's a novel find. I didn't get them when they came out - a bit too rich for my student blood. But then again, other than Realms products, I sold off all my 1E and 2E stuff a long time ago. They would have no doubt been sold as well.

-- George Krashos

Gelcur Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 23:55:12
Awesome! Very lucky indeed. Great great books.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Nov 2021 : 21:04:41
Another lucky find!

I've been searching for 20ish years for the Encyclopedia Magica set.

The books came out around 1995, and it was a four-volume set of every magic item for every edition of D&D up until that point. I don't recall why I wasn't able to get the books when they came out, but for whatever reason, it was around 2000 when I started searching for them.

I've seen them pop up on eBay multiple times, of course... But people usually want $50-$75 for a single volume, and I've seen the whole set of them listed for as much as $500.

The other day, though, they popped up on eBay with a Buy It Now price of $150. Complete set, and in good condition. I generally don't spend that much on my eBay purchases, but I couldn't pass these up.

So now, at long last, I've got the 4 volumes of the Encyclopedia Magica.
froglegg Posted - 31 Mar 2015 : 23:54:58
Good for you!

John
Artemas Entreri Posted - 31 Mar 2015 : 17:57:10
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Nice. It's hard to find quality Realms sourcebooks on eBay WITHOUT breaking the bank.

It's all about being [b]patient and persistent[/i], and occasionally creative with your search terms.

Yep! I've taken advantage of typos on eBay a few times as well. Love it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Mar 2015 : 17:54:24
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Nice. It's hard to find quality Realms sourcebooks on eBay WITHOUT breaking the bank.

Honestly, there's not much I've gotten from eBay that I've had to pay more than cover price for -- unless it was old, 1E stuff, and even then, I still usually don't pay much more than $20, if that.

It's all about being patient and persistent, and occasionally creative with your search terms.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 31 Mar 2015 : 15:07:48
George Krashos Posted - 31 Mar 2015 : 06:12:45
Great job Wooly.

-- George Krashos
xaeyruudh Posted - 31 Mar 2015 : 05:30:25
Very nice! The 1e Deities & Demigods was the first D&D hardback I purchased with my own hard-earned cash, but I got the later one. And I lost mine too, but it was just to a larcenous "friend" so I didn't lose everything else with it. I've looked for another one, a couple of times, but the ones I saw were always $100+.

Congrats on your inexpensive find!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Mar 2015 : 04:54:36
So I had another lucky find...

I've mentioned a time or two that I used to own a copy of the rare version of the 1E tome Deities & Demigods -- the one with the Cthulhu and Melnibone pantheons in it. It was in really nice shape, and best of all, I'd gotten it for free. Sir Dave, an old boss (and still one of the best bosses I've ever had) gave it to me; he'd gotten rid of his other gaming stuff, but kept that book because he knew it was rare and he wanted to give it to someone who would appreciate it.

Of course, I lost it in the fire, several years back.

I've looked for it a time or two on eBay, but when I found it listed, it was usually out of my price range and frequently not in that great a shape. So I'd pretty much written off ever replacing it.

Until a couple of weeks ago, when I decided -- on a whim -- to see if I could find it again.

Because of pricing, I focused mostly on the auctions that didn't specify if it was the rare printing or not. Any time I saw one listed, I would ping the seller and ask about the page count -- the later, post-lawsuit copies have 128 pages.

After a week or two of pinging every seller, one seller responded with the number I was looking for: 144 pages.

Because it wasn't in the description, and the pictures didn't include the pantheon listing, there was no reason for anyone to think this was the rare printing. So there wasn't that much of a fight for it... And since the seller didn't know what he had, the starting price was pretty low.

With shipping, my total came to $22.

I just got it in the mail today. Considering the age of the book, it's in pretty good shape. I am happy to once more have this in my collection.
The Red Walker Posted - 27 Jan 2011 : 02:28:39
Not this Scribe
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jan 2011 : 05:02:42
So did someone here win it?
The Red Walker Posted - 24 Jan 2011 : 15:53:34
quote:

quote:

There's another one up on eBay...

Only 10 hours left!

Almost forgot!