Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You favorite Realms City

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dragonfriend Posted - 20 Apr 2010 : 11:37:16
This is another curious and maybe usefull Forgotten Realms poll.
I'd like to know you favorurite big city in the Realms. All city with a boxed set or a sourcebook are included. I refer only to 1e, 2e and 3e Realms.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 10:21:25
I LOVE Waterdeep, but I sadly do not know enough about it to say it is my favorite. However, Baldur's Gate is a different story. Ever since the games I thought nothing more than doing campaigns and such in this place. It is so large and wildly important in the Forgotten Realms, I just cannot stay away from the setting.
Thauranil Posted - 09 Sep 2013 : 14:34:00
I guess I would have to pick Waterdeep but with Myth Drannor coming in a close second and Silverymoon third.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Sep 2013 : 04:01:38
I like Cormyr, but for me Waterdeep is just so rich in detail, plus it has Skullport and Undermountain attached (and the Promenade!), so there's that. For cities NOT on the list, I would pick Menzoberranzan, for obvious reasons.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 09 Sep 2013 : 03:30:45
Suzail for me.

Almost voted for Waterdeep, but that was due to the influence of happy Undermountain memories.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Sep 2013 : 02:51:31
Waterdeep is my favorite from this list. Second would be Myth Drannor.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 07 Sep 2013 : 01:58:59
I usually miss polls like this like this by a couple of years.

Of those listed:

1) Skullport. This has a uniqueness not found elsewhere, even accounting for regional and cultural differences.

2) Westgate. Lots of room for creative interpretation. I also have two other reasons. One, I live in a city neighborhood called Westgate, and two, as a result of this, I had a home campaign on an alternate version of Earth that had 'acquired' certain Realms...uh, traits. I may resurrect that campaign someday.

3) Baldur's Gate. The game made it famous, and it's easy to use. I have never, for some reason, much utilized Waterdeep proper, save as an entry to Skullport, but Baldur's Gate (indeed, practically any Sword Coast community) has a distinct flavor to it.

- OMH
Artemas Entreri Posted - 07 Sep 2013 : 01:40:10
Golden Huzuz isn't on this list...so I guess I'll pick Zhentil Keep.
Seravin Posted - 07 Sep 2013 : 01:04:10
Phlan, Saerloon, and Immersea.

I have odd tastes but I really love those 3 for different reasons. Phlan because of the old gold box game that introduced me to the Realms was set there; Saerloon is just the coolest Sembian city; and Immersea because I loved The Wyvern's Spur.
Lord Bane Posted - 06 Sep 2013 : 19:01:09
3e Zhentil Keep
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 06 Sep 2013 : 17:59:05
I really had a hard time with this one. There were too many that I liked (Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Suzail, Myth Drannor, Skuld), but I voted for Waterdeep, if only because my group's adventures there are usually frickin' hilarious .
Dark Wizard Posted - 13 Jun 2013 : 06:26:18
In game as a player, I have a fondness for the cities of the Western Heartlands (I consider it anywhere between Baldur's Gate and Westgate). There's good variety there, interplay between rival cities, lots of merchant dealings, caravan happenings and the associated adventure starters. There's a mix of villages, towns, small cities and even a major metropolis spread throughout. It's a neutral place with a mix of good and bad, a place worth putting the time into trying to shift things to the side you're on. Or a good location to make your fortune and run a game based on the characters' personal stakes.

There are many choices here Elturel, Triel, maybe Baldur's Gate itself, sometimes one can head down into the Dragon Coast ending up at Westgate. They all have their city character. For me, any of the trio of Berdusk, Iriebor and Scornubel are perfect for classic D&D style adventuring in my mind. Not too large that you get lost in this massive living entity, but big enough to never be boring even without leaving the city limits.

Reading the material, the most evocative cities are the metropolises in the south, particularly the write ups found in the Lands of Intrigue, the Empires of the Shining Sea, and Calimport. It's exotic without being gonzo, identifiable but new at the same time. It's like the Heartlands on steroids with danger and deceit around any corner, but also enough wonder and hope amongst it all to make it worthwhile to live vicariously through your character.

Second would probably be the cities of Halruaa (but they're smaller and more isolated). Better qualifying choices would be the cities of the Vilhon Reach and the Old Empires for many of the reasons noted above.
Lily M Green Posted - 13 Jun 2013 : 04:27:08
Obviously being a PC gamer first my bias would be for Baldur's Gate & Athkatla but Westgate and Velen have some interesting appeal too.
MrHedgehog Posted - 12 Jun 2013 : 18:42:29
Part of the reason I don't like the idea of waterdeep, silverymoon, westgate, etc. is because I imagine them being really cold! But I guess the heat of Calimshan would be just as bad
Markustay Posted - 12 Jun 2013 : 18:20:42
I don't like city (RPG) adventures, but I liked most of the cities in the fiction.

If I had to pick a city (pre-4e), I'd probably say Westgate, because I would have actually been interested in running an adventure there (cities to me seem more like 'stopovers/rest stations', then adventure sites... but thats just me).

Post-4e, there are many I like, from a DM's perspective. I like things a bit gritty. Now the settlements themselves have a 'Points of Light' feel to them.
MrHedgehog Posted - 12 Jun 2013 : 01:45:28
As the setting for an Adventure definitely Calimport. It is a huge city with evil, and good all mixed together with a lot of potential for intrigue and locations for dungeons.
carbos Posted - 11 Jun 2013 : 23:45:48
Athkatla and Baldur's Gate. I love Infinity Engine games.
Emma Drake Posted - 11 Jun 2013 : 04:24:35
I was torn between Silverymoon and Waterdeep.
Plaguescarred Posted - 11 Jun 2013 : 04:04:10
Waterdeep is my favorite Realms city, with its underhalls in Undermountain, Skullport, all the way up to the Rat Hills.
Tarlyn Posted - 11 Jun 2013 : 04:02:20
My top three:
1. Silverymoon
2. Waterdeep
3. Myth Drannor
Entromancer Posted - 11 Jun 2013 : 00:55:20
Luskan circa The Pirate King and the city where Tchazzar set up shop in the first 3 books of Richard's Brotherhood of the Griffon series.
The Arcanamach Posted - 10 Jun 2013 : 22:50:50
I voted for Waterdeep for all of the obvious reasons and I consider Slullport to be a ward of the city.

That said my favorite city is my homebrew city of Starcrown.
Caladan Brood Posted - 10 Jun 2013 : 19:05:02
Most (but perhaps not all) cities of Faerūn have something setting them apart. I like the Moonsea cities, Hillsfar, Zhentil Keep, etc., I like Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Zazesspur.. I like Iriaebor, Westgate, Raven's Bluff, Tantras...Arabel, Suzail, Marsember...so I find myself unable to settle for one :)
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 15 May 2010 : 19:32:09
Zhentil Keep....
Thauramarth Posted - 14 May 2010 : 17:24:14
Waterdeep for me. Mostly because it's such a staple city in most of the campaigns I have done (my preferred areas of the Realms being the Savage Frontier and the Western Heartlands...). In those, sooner or later, everybody ends up in Waterdeep's bars.
skychrome Posted - 14 May 2010 : 16:55:45
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

quote:

I'd like to know you favorurite big city in the Realms. All city with a boxed set or a sourcebook are included. I refer only to 1e, 2e and 3e Realms.

Here we are, after 53 votes we have Waterdeep at first place, no surprise at all. We all love our most detailed city.
Then:
2nd- Myth Drannor
3rd- Silverymoon
4th- Baldur's Gate

And 5Th place for Skuld! That is what surprises me. Skuld is before both the capital of Amn or even Calimport!last place for Raven's bluff with zero choices, another surprise to me.

Skuld also surprised me in a very positive way.

Regarding Raven“s Bluff: I love the city, but if I have to pick one favorite only, then it is only second favorite with a few others. I think this is probably what happened to many here: Raven“s Bluff is not number one, but that does not mean that it is not among the favorites.
SuperTina Posted - 14 May 2010 : 16:22:38
Myth Drannor for me. Although Dagger Falls (which is not represented in this poll) is my true, all-time fave.
Sill Alias Posted - 14 May 2010 : 07:46:12
I have bad memories of Athkatla from BG2. I felt like being the orc in Evermeet!
dragonfriend Posted - 14 May 2010 : 07:41:12
quote:

Here we are, after 53 votes we have Waterdeep at first place, no surprise at all. We all love our most detailed city.
Then:
2nd- Myth Drannor
3rd- Silverymoon
4th- Baldur's Gate

And 5Th place for Skuld! That is what surprises me. Skuld is before both the capital of Amn or even Calimport!last place for Raven's bluff with zero choices, another surprise to me.

Dracons Posted - 13 May 2010 : 22:59:48
Ehh, it was unrealistic. I don't want to embrass myself by revealing it here for others to mock. But basically, the Mythal was revesersed, making all the protections enhance the enchanments, this followed by a high level fire spell eradicated the town into a ghost ruins town, where the spirits were captured to power a higher level planar spell for the main bad guy.
dragonfriend Posted - 13 May 2010 : 22:56:41
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

I tend to do alot of games in Waterdeep/Skullport. However, some of the players favorite adventures have been at Candlekeep, Calimport, Silverymoon (Which has been destroyed in my world), and various other small places.

how was destroyed? just curious

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000