Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What type of spellcaster do you like to play?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aravine Posted - 21 Apr 2008 : 17:45:33
Which do you play more frequently?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alruane Posted - 21 Nov 2013 : 09:36:35
quote:
Originally posted by KacyCrawford

Arcane of course.

GOOD choice haha
Alruane Posted - 21 Nov 2013 : 09:35:04
quote:
Originally posted by Rolk Flameraven

"Other" I love both Divine and Arcane magic and have played many a Wizard and Cleric but my one true love is the Psi.

Always interested in those.
genebateman Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 21:13:56
it was Sorcerer now it is Dragon Fire Adept
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 22:54:54
If I had to pick one it would be arcane.
KacyCrawford Posted - 26 Sep 2013 : 14:30:18
Arcane of course.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Sep 2013 : 11:27:30
you say MOST, so I'd have to say arcane. However, mystic theurge is my 2nd favorite option (my 1st being eldritch knight).
hashimashadoo Posted - 10 Sep 2013 : 13:01:42
My wizards are always like pokemon masters. Constantly collecting new spells to add to their spellbooks. They're always generalists (often sun elves with the Generalist Wizardry ACF from Races of the Wild). I don't have a type for other spellcasting classes, though if I know I'm likely to need to be a heal bot, I take the Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook and forego the Cleric or Favoured Soul route.

I do however LOVE experimenting with gestalt spellcasters. I once made a gestalt build that allowed my character to cast 9th level spells from 3 separate spell lists by 20th level.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 10 Sep 2013 : 11:55:12
Arcane spellcaster, absolutely no question. And I vastly prefer the "standard, boring old wizard" to anything else. The array of spells and potential for learning is second to none. Add to that the fact that in some cultures (drow, for example), arcane prowess is a path to greatness that doesn't rely on the whim of another, be it fickle deity (and let's be honest, most of them are just that) or an accident of birth (being a sorcerer is very nice, but not everyone is born with sorcerous mojo). That's not to imply that just anyone can be a wizard, far from it.

Not that I would disparage a sorcerer, or even a cleric. A campaign that I participated in saw a world (the DM's homebrew) where there was absolutely no arcane magic (as far as we all knew). No one else wanted to play a spellcaster, so the role of party cleric was left to me - and next to traitors, heretics, and witches (divine casters, slaves of demons), clerics of the Old Gods (which is what I was) were Public Enemy Numero Uno.

In my own 'Unblooded' Birthright campaign (no Realm actions, no nobility), wizards are actually a forbidden class. Sorcerers are permitted, save that the character must be an elf or half-elf (who need no blood to cast the full gamut of arcane spells). With the obvious exceptions of such things, I have played arcanists (mainly wizards) since I rolled my first 3D6 over three decades past.

- OMH
Firestorm Posted - 10 Sep 2013 : 03:26:08
Arcane almost always. Almost always specialize in divination for the extra spell levels, and drop enchantment because it is not my style. I don't need enchantments usually to get what I want and half of the people you run into are immune anyways. Just a moderately chaotic display of power here and there to make people realize not to mess with me and to obey me. Yes I usually play an evil or at least, neutral sociopath Wizard.

I have played 2 Wizard characters and never died for years. Mostly because I stay out of the way after I establish myself as a power and think of myself first and foremost. I worked my way up to mercenary guild head and then sent everyone else out on the missions.

Early levels I Always start my own band of mercs for hire after having been part of one. Always get the biggest share of the loot by auctioning off Transmutation and abjuration spells.
You want a buff? To Fly? Haste? Shield of any kind? Ward? That will be 1/5th of anything you get this mission + Spell component cost.

You want me to watch your back above all others this mission?
1/3rd of anything you get regardless of if I have to lift a finger or not. If I had to use an expensive spell component, you pay for it on top of that. And I was not above promising the same thing to multiple party members if another went to the bathroom :)

We also played within the rules, but were allowed to use the rules to the letter, and I knew my builds. Which meant I could one shot a big boss with a empowered maximized twinned repeated scorching ray.

The look on the DM's face the first time I did that was utter disbelief and WTF. We took a bounty from the NPC board(he had a bunch made up for us to choose from, and we picked one far above our level because of the amount of gold offered)

I made sure I played that into my character. "If you are looking at me like that in real life, imagine how the characters are looking at me in the game". I worked the angle that my character built up a fierce deadly reputation, but not an unreasonable one. The kind of guy you want to hire, not piss off. I made money just to have my services retained and ran several things on the side. Slaves, Gambling, opened my own tavern and used it for business deals. People thought I lived in the basement of the Tavern, but all I ever did was use it to dimensional door to my sanctum in a safe house.

Once I rounded up my investments I could literally buy anything I wanted. Several staffs, dozens of rings, unlimited spell components, etc

I legally built my character up to overpowered over a few years.
ksu_bond Posted - 10 Sep 2013 : 03:19:01
lol...that is correct...told you it wasn't really similar, but is what came to mind first...hmmm...perhaps this should say something about me...I'll worry about that later...

I'll do a bit more brainstorming...perhaps with the help of my books this evening...and see if I can't provide a few more suggestions that have less to do with my personal psyche and more with having similarities to a bladesinger...
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 10 Sep 2013 : 02:57:30
@Alystra Illianniis:
Thanks for the advice! I don't actually own any of the books you named, but my DM does, and I can always borrow them from him for further research.

@ksu_bond:
*eyebrows arching* Isn't the sworddancer a specialty priestess of Eilistraee? Not that I have any problem with that, but it would make my characters' habit of chasing after hawt dark elves a little difficult. Hmm. On the other hand, it does present an opportunity for some interesting roleplaying options. Er, that didn't quite come out right. Ah well, so long as no one deliberately misinterprets my meaning than everything should be fine. (And even if they do, that's okay, especially if it gives them something to snicker about. )
ksu_bond Posted - 09 Sep 2013 : 23:38:57
The PHB2 has the Duskblade which is a bladesinger-esque arcane class.

As to a divine prc that is similar...the first thing that comes to mind would be the sworddancer from FR supplement, Faiths & Pantheons. But having said that, I can't say it is really all that similiar but it is what came to mind first.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 09 Sep 2013 : 21:36:39
I think that the PHB2 or Complete Divine had options for variant classes that would work like a bladesinger- and there might have even been a PrC that would fit- there's a dragon-themed bard-type, and one that is more divine, IIRC.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 06 Sep 2013 : 18:15:03
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I prefer Arcane spellcasters myself or best of all a mix of arcane and warrior classes like a bladesinger.

Ooh, I've always wanted to play a bladesinger (thought the concept was really cool)! Gah! Now I'm thinking I should have voted Arcane. Really, really want to play a bladesinger now! Does anyone know if there's a divine prestige class that's similar?
Thauranil Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 15:06:28
I prefer Arcane spellcasters myself or best of all a mix of arcane and warrior classes like a bladesinger.
Gyor Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 14:05:41
My favourite class in 3.5 was the Binder whose magic was niether shadow, Arcane, Primal, Psionic, Elemental, or Ki, but rather unknown. So I guess you could call my favourite powersource vestage. Next is a tie between Divine and Shadow, especially classes who mixed the two like the 4e Blackguard.
Therise Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 07:26:17
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

quote:
Originally posted by Therise

Wizard, Cleric, Mystic Theurge, in that order.

And yeah, I know the theurge isn't great as a PrC. But it was really fun to roleplay.

The Mystic Theurge has never been very appealing to me. But my gaming experiences have made me slightly biased. The one adventure where one of my group actually played a Theurge was primarily spent picking up what was left of him and trying to find a high-level cleric to resurrect him. (Sometimes being part of a good-aligned party is a real *bleep*!)

I hear you there. With my theurge, I often felt like that bard Elan in Order of the Stick. Certainly fun for roleplay, but there were serious negatives when it came to combat.

Plaguescarred Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 04:51:57
I don't always play spellcaster, but when i do i play divine character - Dos Equis :)

Seriously though, i prefer divine spellcaster over arcane or primal one.
Rolk Flameraven Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 04:42:30
"Other" I love both Divine and Arcane magic and have played many a Wizard and Cleric but my one true love is the Psi.
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 05 Sep 2013 : 02:02:31
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

And yeah, I know the theurge isn't great as a PrC. But it was really fun to roleplay.

The Mystic Theurge has never been very appealing to me. But my gaming experiences have made me slightly biased. The one adventure where one of my group actually played a Theurge was primarily spent picking up what was left of him and trying to find a high-level cleric to resurrect him. (Sometimes being part of a good-aligned party is a real *bleep*!)
Therise Posted - 04 Sep 2013 : 17:55:31

Mystic Lemur Posted - 04 Sep 2013 : 17:50:04
Hmmm... When I voted, I voted for Arcane because I love me some Sorcerers and Bards. I didn't think about all the Paladins I've played, because I don't really think of them as Spellcasters.

I guess my vote should be "Both."
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 04 Sep 2013 : 16:57:32
Divine. I've always wound up as the party's cleric, and I've grown to appreciate the niche I fill (nobody else in my group seems to consider and/or realize that having one around is generally a good idea).
Kilvan Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 15:29:36
Most of my characters are divine characters, even those with no actual divine powers. My warlock/sorcerer could have shamed many clerics of Mystra with his preachings, same for my monk of Helm. As for the actual spellcasting, if I count my fighter-mages from 2nd edition, I probably played more arcane spellcaster than divine.
Barastir Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 10:43:13
Although I've played and enjoed both, my preferences go to divine, especially after the Faiths & Avatar series. I always loved mythology, and since knowing Legends & Lore, Monster Mythology and such, I became fascinated. I like also the versatility of the cleric - yes, because versatility is not only in the spells you cast, but I could fight well, cure my friends, boost their abiities and have some other cool spells and special powers. Besides, I like very much the roleplay of a faithful believer. And I always thought cleric lacked destructive spells, and then I read somewhere that they only have a few, powerful spells that represent the deities' wrath upon the unfaithful, a cool definition I've never thought about.
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 05:42:48
Divine for me!

It's practically built in roleplaying material, it's fun to multiclass with, you get good hit points (well, usually), you can help the party or go be awesome by yourself and it's just an all around good choice.

Halfling Barbarian Cleric of Vangal FTW!
Diffan Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 04:02:08
Something about the divine always pulls me towards it, whether its being a Paladin or Cleric or Avenger (4E). Something about being more than oneself, fighting for a cause thats greater than the pettiness of mortals and transends race and culture. I also like being able to wade into melee and bash some heads when magic runs low.
Euranna Posted - 14 Mar 2013 : 01:52:08
I have had the most success playing divine characters, druid, ranger, paladin and cleric.
I have wanted to play a mystic theurge, or even an ultimate magus. But, I always end up the divine character. LOL
ChieftainTwilight Posted - 07 Jun 2011 : 01:26:32
ah, Mythic Theurges are my Favourites! >w<
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 06 Jun 2011 : 23:50:52
I tend to play half-elven bards (so overdone, I know) but I have done a bard/ranger a few times (more bard levels than ranger, and I was mostly a ranger so I could more easily become a Harper or arcane archer). Done the spellsinger prestige class too.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000