Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 D&D Groups

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 06 Jan 2004 : 22:38:13
Hello
I was just wondering what is every ones groups like and what position are you in it i.e. DM or PC. (Alaundo feel free to share with us your group too)
I am in one group just now, whwere i am a player, but there are 11 of us, aged between 17-40 (somethingish) However i wont bore you witht he details as we Arn't playing D&D or any FR materials just now (WFRP).
However I am hoping to get a second group together, where I'll DM- Not done it in ages.
Hanx
Elrond
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 15:29:55
Thanks Sage. While I never started my career as a spectator, I have however joined a gaming group as a spectator. This was only for about 3-4 sessions, and the campaign was one the group had been running for a while, I primarily joined as a spectator to gain an understanding of the house rules that they used. But perhaps more importantly,as they where just finishing that campaign, I didnt want to get involved at this late stage.

Ok so its not exactly what you asked but there you go... What about anyone else?

Hanx
Elrond
The Sage Posted - 27 Feb 2004 : 13:14:26
There's no need to apologise Elrond .

What you've written is probably one of the best, and easiest to comprehend perspectives on understanding the Ravenloft setting that I've ever read.

You are certainly right about the 'Killer DMs', and their feelings for the game. I think this was one of the contributing factors that lead to it's eventual discontinued status in 2e, as more and more gamers opted to take their campaigns elsewhere because of these perceptions on the game.

The tighter restraints on rules usage (especially when it comes to the Dark Powers) and improved format of 3e RL though, has really brought the setting into an area all its own.

Now here's a question that will bring my post back onto topic - Who among us had actually started their D&D career as a spectator: someone who'd joined up with a group of more experienced players and simply watched a game session from the sidelines...?
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 26 Feb 2004 : 22:05:00
quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn

Hoping to get a D&D group going in Faerun very shortly. Playing out of the gaming store close to where I live.

Either the Realms, or a Ravenloft game. Maybe both if I have enough time for 2 groups :)

I prefer groups of about 6-7

Actually I'd have to agree with The Sage on this one, but perhaps for different reasons. I feel that Ravenloft is a different sort of game from the Forgotten Realms- its based alot more on Roleplaying, and the group making educated decisions to stay alive. At the same time you can roleplay in the Realms, but what i mean is in Ravenloft not everything is as it seems, and players require experience if they want to live, especially in the lower stages of the game. In addition to this Ravenloft is a very low magic setting.

However I'm not trying to say that you are inexperienced if your not, and even if you are its not a reason to not play Ravenloft. People also have misconceptions of Ravenloft, this IMHO is from 'Killer DMs' who get carried away with the power over the setting that they have! Put it this way some of the players in a group of mine (Who some have been playing for over 25 years...) Have a very strong misconception of Ravenloft because of that famous module... Seemingly the DM was a bit of a Killer....

Anyway I love the Realms, but I also love Ravenloft! So it would be a hard decision for me! Anyway none of the players in the above group bar two have played ravenloft, so they might get a surprise soon. After all it is my turn to run a campaign....

Sorry For the Ramblings

Hanx
Elrond
The Sage Posted - 25 Feb 2004 : 13:17:29
I'd probably stick with the Realms first, mainly because there's less for you (as a player) to know at the start of the game. With all due respect to the Realms and it's highly diverse cultures and cities, the Ravenloft setting requires a great deal more of pre-game knowledge for both the players and the DM. Plus there's a total of three setting sourcebooks to read on the basis of the RL setting, while the Realms has the basic FRCS.
Sorn Posted - 25 Feb 2004 : 06:43:10
Hoping to get a D&D group going in Faerun very shortly. Playing out of the gaming store close to where I live.

Either the Realms, or a Ravenloft game. Maybe both if I have enough time for 2 groups :)

I prefer groups of about 6-7

The Sage Posted - 25 Feb 2004 : 02:46:10
quote:
Originally posted by Knightcrawler

quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava
Kensai: Male vampiel rogue 4 (ecl: +6) Newest member of the group who proved himself decent in a fight against alot of demons that invaded Sundabar in search of the small girl who travels with this group (who are unaware of her importance in the world's future). Patron deity: Helm

Vampire Hunter D anyone. Where did you find the half-vampire template? Are you using the one from Dragon Mag 313?

I believe that's mostly likely the case, although I think it was called a Katane. The issue also details a number of half-undead templates.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 24 Feb 2004 : 08:18:00
Actually the 'Dhampir' template from the Ravenloft settings books more appropriately fits the character 'D' from those anime series of movies.

And, if you use the grafted symbionts from the BoVD, you can graft a nice mouth to the creatures right hand (is was his right hand wasn't it?)
Knightcrawler Posted - 24 Feb 2004 : 01:02:21
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava
Kensai: Male vampiel rogue 4 (ecl: +6) Newest member of the group who proved himself decent in a fight against alot of demons that invaded Sundabar in search of the small girl who travels with this group (who are unaware of her importance in the world's future). Patron deity: Helm

Vampire Hunter D anyone. Where did you find the half-vampire template? Are you using the one from Dragon Mag 313?
Ezindir the dark Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 11:20:06
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

Good Luck Ezindir! I hope you get the group together, I know just how hard it can be to get a group together, especially of teenagers. Mean while if you are DM what are your plans for a campaign. I don't know about any of the other DMs but i often have, what I think is a, great idea for a campaign, but I only ever get into the basic design stages before another even better campaign comes to mind... But I have planned to resurrect an old idea for a Ravenloft I had. But atlas I just couldn't help adding an extra few parts to it. Muhahahahahaha. Anyway, Ezindir if you need any help dont forget to ask! That reminds me I have a map to make for someone....

Hanx
Elrond

I quess I will take a champain that are made for beginners. I want start with making it myself, but hopefully I will not be the DM.

But thanks for the offer.
Brother Ezra Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 05:26:58
Got the first session in my campaign off the ground last night. A pretty successful night, and looks like a lof of solid role players in the group, with two newbies to keep things fresh:

Kaelin Drache Human Rogue, originally from Steppenhall in the Duchy of Soravia, he left home at the age of 7 to escape the deadly fate of becoming a shepherd. He found his way to Trailsend where he learned to earn a living on the street. His superior skills at influencing others allowed him to fit into various levels of society, and he gradually became known as a man who could get things done. With the recent shake-up in the rulership of the barony, Kaelin has decided to cast his lot with group of adventurers until things quiet down in the city and the political outcome becomes clearer.

Hiro of the Var, Half-Orc barbarian from Narfell, raised by the Var tribe, but cast out of that tribe after a change in leadership. The new tribal chief is not tolerant of orcish blood, and Hiro was "Sent Into the West", a term meaning that he was dismissed in shame. Hiro found his way to Trailsend in hopes of finding an honorable group to join.

Fallon uth Pendemyr Half-Elf ranger, as a girl she fled from the Duchy of Goliad when Zhengyi's forces overran her father's holdings. She was raised by rangers in the Rawlinswood. Recently her mentor and step-father was slain by an orc raid in Soravia, and Fallon found herself wintering in Trailsend, pondering her goals for the future.

Corian Tanner Human Sorceror. Having completed her tutelage in Heliogabalus, Corian returns to her home in Trailsend to recruit a group of adventurers to explore the keep of a long-dead mage...

Ashe, Druid of the Rawlinswood Coven, human druid. Having the most normal background, Ashe was sent into the wider world to gain an understanding of how it works, and in the process to gain a better understanding of the delicate balance of nature.

Jonrek Silverune, half-elf cleric of Tyr, hails from the Gray Forest, but travelled to Trailsend to follow in his father's footsteps and learn the ways of Grimjaws. After studying with his father's mentor, Jonrek is ready to hunt down injustice wherever it may hide, and to set the Barony of Polten back of the true path of righteousness.

All characters are starting out at 1st level, and there are already some interesting group dynamics forming. I think this will turn out to be a great group
Shadowlord Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 01:30:51
May I ask how such a thing is possible?
Darth KTrava Posted - 23 Feb 2004 : 01:16:32
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

*Ahem* You're still playing 2nd Edition, aren't you? Just to let you know, when you say part human, part tiefling, do you mean one parent was human, and the other was a tiefling?

Started 3rd ed, now 3.5 ed.

And he started as a human and then "morphed" for lack of a better term into a tiefling, with wings.
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 21:54:25
Good Luck Ezindir! I hope you get the group together, I know just how hard it can be to get a group together, especially of teenagers. Mean while if you are DM what are your plans for a campaign. I don't know about any of the other DMs but i often have, what I think is a, great idea for a campaign, but I only ever get into the basic design stages before another even better campaign comes to mind... But I have planned to resurrect an old idea for a Ravenloft I had. But atlas I just couldn't help adding an extra few parts to it. Muhahahahahaha. Anyway, Ezindir if you need any help dont forget to ask! That reminds me I have a map to make for someone....

Hanx
Elrond
Ezindir the dark Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 19:58:54
I am trying to set up a group, if I make it we will be four in the age of 14-15. I am not going to be a DM I think, but if it is teh only way I will have to be one.
Shadowlord Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 17:54:50
Oops. My mistake... I posted this at 11 pm anyways. I had a right to mess up.....
Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 03:03:57
How can you say that, Shadowlord? It seems like she couldn't be playing 2e. Look at the words she's using.
Shadowlord Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 02:09:15
*Ahem* You're still playing 2nd Edition, aren't you? Just to let you know, when you say part human, part tiefling, do you mean one parent was human, and the other was a tiefling?
Darth KTrava Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 01:57:27
Forgot to add Raven's patron deity of Eilistraee....

Now for the "lower level" group:

Shandri: Female human fighter 9 (ECL +1 with having telepathic/psionic abilities) Former slave/harem girl who now dresses all in white and found out she's some sort of a princess. Patron deity: Tyr

Seregor: Male human druid/ranger (total levels: 10) Has no real comprehension of how the world works as he's spent most, if not all, his life in the forests. He's learning some things, thanks to the mute yet telepathic Shandri. Patron deity: Meilikki

Valsherina Pendleton (my character): Female human Paladin 10. Hails from the country of Sembia and is the daughter of a wine merchant. Is used mostly to the trappings of a high class level of life. But that changed as she was "chosen" to be a paladin which, at first disappointed her father but he did later warm to the notion of having a paladin as a daughter. She's had problems with the mostly chaotic Igen which has irritated her but she hasn't complained vocally about it... Patron deity: Tyr

Igen: Female fey'ri Sorcerer/fighter/spellsword (total class levels: 8, I think... not including ECL). Quite the chaotic one in the bunch.
Darth KTrava Posted - 22 Feb 2004 : 01:46:18
I play in two different campaigns set in the Realms although they take place in the same time, 1373. And would sorta "meet up" because of the fate of the world resting over one little female girl. (I'll split up the groups into two different posts to not make it too long to read.... )

The epic group:

Del (shortened from her full Drow name): Femald Drow sorcerer/cleric/dragon disciple/mystic theurge (total levels around 31, not including ECL) She's the only surviving member of her House and has been traveling, searching for any other possible survivors. Her patron deity: Eilistraee

Ian: Male half-Drow ranger/rogue (total levels 33). He was raised by his human family after being abandoned by his Drow (sire?). Patron deity: Lurue

Raven: Male part human/part tiefling fighter/barbarian/shade (total levels 36, including ECLs). Hails from the country of Cormyr and has had many problems dealing with the innate evil of his tiefling blood trying to dictate his actions and has, hopefully, managed to overcome that and stay on the side of good.

Rozhena Ashford (my character): Female human cleric 29/Divine Champion 4. She's not exactly your "typical cleric", preferring to be either tossing spells or being in the middle of the fray. she has some aspirations of attaining paladinhood but it's a bit out of her reach. Considering she doesn't exactly want to follow "The Code" like they do. (especially considering it'd be an alignment shift from NG to LG to do so...). She also comes from Cormyr and traveled with Raven before meeting up with the two Drow and traveling with them ever since. Patron deity: Torm

Bookwyrm Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 16:37:33
That brings up a question: does switching Cs for Ks and Is for Ys make a word Cynimatik, or Kliche?
Elrond Half Elven Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 10:21:02
Good point Bookwyrm, Kliches must be prevented at all costs... Well maybe not, a cliche is a recognized writing device, if it can be used in writing then why can't we use it in D&D.

God I hope my Creative Writing Teacher doesn't see this, he hates cliches, infact he onces said think of the most unlikey thing to happen and use that in place of a cliche! Hmm honestly I think he is a soap writer .

Cliches can be useful, but be very careful not to ver use them. If everyone does as the English-teacher-cum-soap-writer does then they will find their campaign becoming very unbelievable. Make it varied use Cliches but not all the time.

Oh sorry Bookwyrm,I forgot it is Kliches... Sorry

Hanx
Elrond
Bookwyrm Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 07:08:10
Nope, it's Cynimatik. It's the magic where if something's cool, you get more Cynimatiks, and then get more powerful. You just have to be careful that it doesn't descend into Kliche.
Shadowlord Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 06:02:09
I believe you mean "Cinematics."
Bookwyrm Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 05:49:32
Yes, it's tingling with that arcane magic known as "Cynimatiks."
Shadowlord Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 22:01:02
Wow, quite an ending. I approve.
Crust Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 20:35:34
That's very true. I update NPCs all the time. I have to update party foes as well. When the group finally faces Vlaakith the Lich-Queen, she won't be the 25th level wizard she's depicted as in the Dungeon module. I might make her a 27th or 28th level demilich.

Wouldn't it be insane to reveal that fact after her body is ravaged by spells and weapons, only to have the destroyed body fall away into ash as her head detaches, floating free and unleashing hellish magic at the group? I might even have her spine hanging down as well.

Now that's a finish.
Bookwyrm Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 20:12:23
That sounds silly. NPCs can gain experience too.
Targon Moonrise Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 19:31:05
My Dwarven Druid is going to be gaining levels with the other two characxters. I though an NPC didn't gain any levels after meeting the party.
Bookwyrm Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 05:57:10
Technically, an NPC is any character controlled by the DM.
Targon Moonrise Posted - 02 Feb 2004 : 20:17:51
My Dwarf isn't just an NPC. It's a PC to help them. The group is only lv 4.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000