Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 4e FR: A Poll for Spellplague Products

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 11 Mar 2010 : 15:43:31
If you could have your druthers, which of these products would you most like to see about the Spellplague?

You can ask for multiple of these choices, but which one would you be MOST likely to buy, review, and talk up to your friends?

Please vote and explain your answer in a post, as much as you like!

Also, this is a 4e FR-positive thread. If you don't care or don't want to see anything, please don't vote, and if you don't have any positive feedback, please don't post at all. (Admins, please police this thread rigorously.)

Cheers
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nilus Reynard Posted - 03 Nov 2011 : 21:59:09
quote:
Originally posted by Therise
Unless it's a novel where you make the spellplague go away forever. That I'd buy.

Yeah, I would buy something like that as well.
Therise Posted - 03 Nov 2011 : 05:45:19
Please no more spellplague. It's had way more than sufficient coverage. Too much, really, when I wish the spellplague would just be forgotten.

Unless it's a novel where you make the spellplague go away forever. That I'd buy.

Nilus Reynard Posted - 03 Nov 2011 : 04:52:06
Not sure.....

I always found Realms products covering history to be interesting, so that would be my choice if I were to buy one.

But I am not a fan of the whole Spellplague, so I do not see myself investing in anything related to it.
Old Man Harpell Posted - 02 Sep 2011 : 10:22:18
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Well, it is. I wouldn't mind, though, if they went in a different direction, and further illuminated the 104 years between 1375 DR and 1479 DR. I don't really like how things turned out in 1479 DR, as presented right now, but showing us how some of the concepts from 1375 DR evolved and turned into things present in 1479 DR could smooth a lot of the transitional problems that people have, and could tie off a lot of the plots that were left hanging that left bad tastes in peoples' mouths (the fates of certain characters, for example).

I voted multiple, but this analysis is spot on the dollar. If they did something along these lines, then any Spellplague product would be worthy of being published - and more importantly, not being verbally savaged (and not always justifiably) like 4th Edition Realms often is. We have the what - now we need the when, how, and why.

And as long as you don't make it a DDI-only format, that should open it up to even more people who might take an interest.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 14 May 2011 : 18:32:47
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

Anything that can humanize the Spellplague would be welcomed. For example, how did mages make the transformation from Weave-based magic to wherever it comes from now?
My own work (continuing the Shadowbane story) is aimed at doing something very much like that.

quote:

I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep" series, but it seems as if I must abandon all of my current PCs and have them restart after the Spellplague.
This is isn't necessarily the case--there are lots of ways you can bring PCs from one era to the next: time travel, magical stasis, etc. (I believe WotC ran an article on this question, actually, though I don't have a link on me at the moment.) A couple of the characters in my writing have simply lived that long (one isn't even middle aged yet).

Mechanically you might have to rebuild them, but that depends on the systems you're using.

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

However, while I do not bitterly hate the changes made anymore, I still have not been able to make the jump to reading 4e Realms novels. I will at least do so with Godborn and The Serpent's Daughter, and I definitely find my interest piqued with the Abolethic Sovereignty. I just am having trouble embracing the whole of the 4e Realms. I think more illumination involving the Spellplague and the years between it and the 4e setting (preferably with several novels) would help heal that wound and help me embrace and enjoy the 4e Realms.
NOTE: Erik, this is not meant to be a anti-4e Realms post. I just am trying to voice how, though I want to embrace the 4e Realms, WotC has not done enough work as of yet for me to be able to.

I understand completely, Hawkins. To a point, you just have to read what you like and don't read what you don't like. I would just like to reiterate my hope that you will find more things that salve that ache. I know I'm writing things specifically about the transition, showing events between the Spellplague and the modern day, trying to shed more light on all of it--but we'll see if it works for people.

Cheers
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 May 2011 : 06:56:15
-Well, it is. I wouldn't mind, though, if they went in a different direction, and further illuminated the 104 years between 1375 DR and 1479 DR. I don't really like how things turned out in 1479 DR, as presented right now, but showing us how some of the concepts from 1375 DR evolved and turned into things present in 1479 DR could smooth a lot of the transitional problems that people have, and could tie off a lot of the plots that were left hanging that left bad tastes in peoples' mouths (the fates of certain characters, for example).
Brimstone Posted - 09 May 2011 : 21:23:51
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-A timeline, though that goes against what WotC wanted to do during that time period.

Lord Karsus Posted - 09 May 2011 : 18:53:32
-A timeline, though that goes against what WotC wanted to do during that time period.
Brimstone Posted - 09 May 2011 : 16:02:27
WotC is putting out an Omnibus of Blackstaff Tower, Mistshore, and Downshadow on July 15th. I have really enjoyed the Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep series. It's Waterdeep, just 100 years in the future.
Hawkins Posted - 09 May 2011 : 15:56:15
quote:

Anything that can humanize the Spellplague would be welcomed. For example, how did mages make the transformation from Weave-based magic to wherever it comes from now? My complaint with 4E was that it was too much change with too little explanation. A lot of change with a lot of explanation makes it more usable to DMs. I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep" series, but it seems as if I must abandon all of my current PCs and have them restart after the Spellplague. Again, anything that helps players learn about the SP, regardless of format, would be welcomed.
That is my feel for the 4e Realms as well. Though my viewpoint comes one who is primarily a novel reader rather than that of a DM. I will probably never start playing 4e. I and my group are happy with transitioning Pathfinder. But as I began in the Realms as a novel reader, I also intended to continue in the Realms with the advent of 4e. However, while I do not bitterly hate the changes made anymore, I still have not been able to make the jump to reading 4e Realms novels. I will at least do so with Godborn and The Serpent's Daughter, and I definitely find my interest piqued with the Abolethic Sovereignty. I just am having trouble embracing the whole of the 4e Realms. I think more illumination involving the Spellplague and the years between it and the 4e setting (preferably with several novels) would help heal that wound and help me embrace and enjoy the 4e Realms.
NOTE: Erik, this is not meant to be a anti-4e Realms post. I just am trying to voice how, though I want to embrace the 4e Realms, WotC has not done enough work as of yet for me to be able to.
Azuth Posted - 09 May 2011 : 02:35:59

Anything that can humanize the Spellplague would be welcomed. For example, how did mages make the transformation from Weave-based magic to wherever it comes from now? My complaint with 4E was that it was too much change with too little explanation. A lot of change with a lot of explanation makes it more usable to DMs. I'm thoroughly enjoying the "Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep" series, but it seems as if I must abandon all of my current PCs and have them restart after the Spellplague. Again, anything that helps players learn about the SP, regardless of format, would be welcomed.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 22 May 2010 : 22:29:34
I think the spellplague has had sufficient coverage
Jakk Posted - 27 Apr 2010 : 17:13:42
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

The only thing I might be interested in would be a book detailing material pre-Spellplague that set the stage for it much later in Faerun's history. Detail what allowed it to happen in the first place, make what ultimately happened a rational event that has things we could look back at in Toril's history and go, "You know, we should have seen it coming based on X, Y, etc."

I don't care what ruleset (if any) if used. I don't mind it using 4e rules if it wants, I just want pre-4e era material because that would be the only thing I'd be interested in.

Consider this request seconded, thirded, fourthed, etc. I've already voted, so I'll not vote again, but this is exactly the kind of thing I would buy and recommend others to buy, as long as it's mostly lore. I envision something like a companion volume to GHotR focusing on specific Spellplague predictors. Thank you Shemmy!

Edit: Hrm... Post #1111... I wonder if this is significant in any way...
Shemmy Posted - 27 Apr 2010 : 06:21:15
The only thing I might be interested in would be a book detailing material pre-Spellplague that set the stage for it much later in Faerun's history. Detail what allowed it to happen in the first place, make what ultimately happened a rational event that has things we could look back at in Toril's history and go, "You know, we should have seen it coming based on X, Y, etc."

I don't care what ruleset (if any) if used. I don't mind it using 4e rules if it wants, I just want pre-4e era material because that would be the only thing I'd be interested in.
Tyranthraxus Posted - 25 Apr 2010 : 18:37:51
I voted for a source book. I'd like to see a sourcebook with more Spellplague related character options. I was disapointed about that DDI article. I want more spellscar options, powers, classes, feats, classes, paragon paths, ect.

I'd also like to see a GHotR-style summation like The Spellplague: the Wailing Years article.

A new adventure involving the Spellplague or Plaguechanged lands would also be nice.

I prefer a hardcover book, but I'm also fine with DDI articles.

@Erik: is this a hint you are working on something Spellplague related?
BlackAce Posted - 25 Apr 2010 : 11:12:32
I'd like multiple products, especially the top three options, but I've put my vote for the spell plague sourcebook as that would be the one I'd want most.
Brimstone Posted - 25 Apr 2010 : 06:32:58
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bishop

(Most of all, though, I want Mike Schley to do a map of FR that doesn't suck so I can set fire to the abomination that came with the FRCG!)

I whole heartedly agree with said statement...
Neil Bishop Posted - 25 Apr 2010 : 06:04:58
I would like to see multiple products.

I would like more information on what it means to be plaguechanged: templates and themes for monsters and further options for characters would be great. I would also like to see some adventures set in plaguechanged regions with ideas for terrain types and skill challenges in areas affected by the Spellplague.

(Most of all, though, I want Mike Schley to do a map of FR that doesn't suck so I can set fire to the abomination that came with the FRCG!)
Dennis Posted - 19 Apr 2010 : 20:36:55
I voted for multiple products. I'd really love it if WOTC would publish MORE FR books in a year. The number does even reach 20. Anyway, I wish more will be written about the Spellplague, and the realms' greatest and most loved characters who got severely affected by it.
Arioch Posted - 24 Mar 2010 : 18:39:04
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

[quote]
As for the reasoning behind the poll, I'm just starting a discussion, because people often say they're dissatisfied with what they have, and I'm sincerely curious as to what they want. We're just having a frank and honest conversation, here, about what products we'd like to see.

Cheers

How sad! For a while I dreamed that WoTC was about to listen the complains of the old fans!

That said: I voted for the Spellplague sourcebook, a detailed explanation of the events surrounding Helm & Mystra's death, with a couple of pages of chronology, GHotR style.

Of course, any new FR Lore is welcome!

There must be a way to give old fans the lore they like, without discourage new customers! After all, the Lore is what will make the new customers of today tomorrow's fan!
Shemmy Posted - 23 Mar 2010 : 21:30:31
I didn't vote, but I would consider buying pre-Spellplague material depending on who worked on it.
ShepherdGunn Posted - 19 Mar 2010 : 06:26:13
I think a collection of the existing Forgotten Realms materials from DDI would be good. Also, I think a "Historical Settings" book may be an good idea. This book would give a bit more information on some of the more long standing empires that have been. Being able to have more information on the SkyFire War, and Jhamdath (apologizes on spelling, don't have my books in front of me) would be great. I know it would be 3.5 and that's kinda anathema to WotC, but I'm very sure it would sell well.

For 4e only stuff, if they were to start releasing more information on some of the "locations" would also be nice. Maybe not a full book, but like one a larger pamphlet, just something that would give a bit more flavor to the setting, possibly with a paragon path or the like. Namely just something to add a bit more flavor.

One of the reasons my wife hates the new FR stuff is because she gets a migraine when reading from a computer screen, so a hard-form of the materials would be nice.
Alisttair Posted - 16 Mar 2010 : 10:35:10
On a side note, the "Best of Dragon Magazine" or whatever its called book that has a bunch of the DDI Dragon articles printed in it...well the same thing except all the FR articles from Dragon and Dungeon piled into one book would be pretty sweet...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Mar 2010 : 01:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by ajfurst

Although why the poll? Is WoTc feedback showing them that the expected 'new' audience didn't materialise and that 'old' fans aren't just accepting blindly the rationale of the Spellplague and buying in sufficient quantities? (It's hard to phrase that without sounding at least partly negative unfortunately).
No. I am not now nor have I ever been an employee of WotC, so I have no idea as to their sales numbers or marketing processes.

As for the reasoning behind the poll, I'm just starting a discussion, because people often say they're dissatisfied with what they have, and I'm sincerely curious as to what they want. We're just having a frank and honest conversation, here, about what products we'd like to see.

Cheers
Snotlord Posted - 14 Mar 2010 : 16:13:31
I would like to see a continued Grand History, and more lore on the 4e realms.

I think more lore on the Spellplague itself only widens the gap between the edition camps, what the setting needs is continuity and focus on the similarities, not differences and changes.
The 90 year vacuum did not help

The 4e setting dropped the ball by telling us the changes, and not showing us the setting for what it is. It read like a design document, not a cool fantasy setting.

Was that clear? Probably not
Brimstone Posted - 14 Mar 2010 : 07:06:58
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

The problem with them meshing the lore is that they stated that they didn't want to do that.

The whole idea was to bring new people in who didn't feel overwhelmed with past lore.

If my memory serves me right.

Pretty much.

I think that some of the Authors and Freelancers are trying to change that now.

Not the "cause the new poeple to feel overwhelmed with past lore" part.
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Mar 2010 : 06:14:45
The problem with them meshing the lore is that they stated that they didn't want to do that.

The whole idea was to bring new people in who didn't feel overwhelmed with past lore.

If my memory serves me right.
Hawkins Posted - 14 Mar 2010 : 01:45:56
Even more than something covering the Spellplague, I see that there is a great need for the things mentioned at the end of the GHotR that need sorted out. Mainly, sense needs to be made of the Tyr/Tymora/Helm mess (that one is a huge handful in of itself considering the alignments of the gods involved), the Dwarven pantheon wars, and the event that caused the Spellplague, the murder of Mystra at the hands of Cyric. Those are just the ones off the top of my head, but the haphazard way in which they were described in brief at the very end of the GHotR just sowed confusion and discord (for me at least), instead of bringing a smooth transition to the 4e Realms. I doing my best not to go into a whole negative 4e rant here. To pull me into the 4e Realms, I would need to see a product (or more likely multiple products) that made an effort to meld the Realmslore pre- and post-Spellplague (I know that some would argue that they do meld well, but I do not agree).
Diffan Posted - 13 Mar 2010 : 22:16:25
I too went with the Multipul Topic vote. There is just so much about the Spellplague that we really don't know about in addition to the past 94 years that alot need catching up.

I'd love another "Grand History of the Realms" because that is just a great reference book in addition to a good read.

Also, I'd like to see more DDI stuff involving the Spellplague in addition to anything else Realms related. Lets face it, the more FR out there, the better.

As a side note- I think WotC is doing a great job so far with 4E. My group is pretty up-to-date with most of the product (besides the PH3, haven't gotten that yet) and I'm happy with pretty much everything done up to this point. Keep up the good work! :D
Bane of the Harpers Posted - 13 Mar 2010 : 19:24:41
Simply put I think that a sourcebook about the Spellplague itself (how it affected regions, people, ideas of plague-changed monsters, etc.) would be awesome to make the event more understandable. It could also develop the order of Blue fire, an interesting antagonist.

Since I loved the format of Grand History, I'd love to see another book like this with a summary of all that happened, explaining how the regions changed.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000