Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Evereskan Battlemage

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 27 Oct 2009 : 23:11:52
Evereskan Battlemage

The battlemage is a very important individual when it comes to the protection of the elven city of evereska. They are trained specificly in the arts of battle magic and even spend time learning some sword play from the acadamy of arms. Unlike most elven wizards their numbers are mostly filled by elven youths looking for adventure and excitement. At least one Battlemage is assigned to every company of patrols around evereska and the greycloak hills. After reaching 5'th level the battlemages are given the choice to come and go as they please within the acadamy of magical arts to study at their leisure. Some even leave the city to find adventure as elven bounty hunters or search for anciect elven ruins to discourage the plundering of these sites with their amazing talents.

Hit Die: d4.

Requirements: To qualify to become a elven battlemage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Character must be a Elf

Skills: Spellcraft 10 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks.

Feats: Maximize Spell, Spell Penetration.

Spellcasting: Ability to cast 4'th level arcane spells. Able to cast at least two ray spells, two touch spells, and two energy missile spells.

Class Skills: Craft (int), Concentration (con), Spellcraft (Int), Bluff (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Scry (Int), Knowledge (any)(Int), Profession (wis), Use magic devise (cha).
Skill points at each level: 2 + Int Modifier.

Class Features: Weapon & Armor Proficiency: Battlemages gain proficiency with small or light weapons.

Spells per day: A Battlemages training focuses on magic. Thus, when a character gains a new level of Battlemage, she gains new spells per day as if she aso gained a level in whatever spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not however gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Battle-spell focus: At 1'st level you gain the weapon focus feat with either energy missile spells, Touch spells or ray spells. Once chosen you may not change the type

Battle-spell specialization: At 2'nd level you gain weapon specialization with either energy missile spells, Touch spells or ray spells. Once chosen you may not change it.

Signature Spell: As a Battlemage you earn a reputation with a certain spell, a calling card of sorts. At 3'rd level you gain the Signature Spell feat.

Depress resistance: At 3'rd level the Battlemage can temporarily reduce the Spell resistance of a target creature. The Spell resistance of the creature works against the Depress resistance spell at half its normal value. No saving throw is allowed. A creature that does not resist the effects of this spell has it's SR reduced by 50%. This is a spell-like ability that may be used one time a day for every two caster levels attained, and can affect two opponents for every intelligence bonus modifier attained. It has a range of 60 yards and a duration of 1 round per caster level.

Energy Spell power: At 4'th level, the Battlemage chooses one type of energy: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. from here on you gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against any spells with the chosen type of energy descriptor, and a +2 bonus to the DC of all spells with the chosen type of energy descriptor. Once chosen the energy type cannot be changed.

Innate Spell: At 5'th level the Battlemage gains the Innate Spell feat without meeting its prerequisites.

Steal protections: At 5'th level the Battlemage may attempt to steal an opponent's beneficial spell effects for yourself. Upon using this spell-like ability, you instantly discern all spells currently afftecting the target (including their effects). For each spell so discerned, you can make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level) against a DC of 11 + the spell's caster level. If the check succeeds, you gain the effect of the spell for the remainder of its duration, as if it had been cast on you instead of the original target, and the opponent loses that effect. This spell-like ability is a standard action and has a range of 60 feet. No saving throws are allowed against this ability and any SR is negated. This ability may be used one time a day, plus one extra time a day for every bonus intelligence modifier attained.

CL-BAB-FS-RS-WS-Special- Spells per day

1'st-+0-+2-+0-+2 Battle spell focus -+1level

2'nd-+1-+3-+0-+3-Battle spell specialization-+1level

3'rd-+2-+3-+1-+3 Signature spell, Depress resistance -+1level

4'th-+3-+4-+1-+4 Energy spell power -+1level

5'th-+3-+4-+1-+4 Innate spell, Steal protections -+1level

*Any advice, ideas or comments are welcome. Thanks! ;)
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordofBones Posted - 10 Nov 2015 : 11:00:45
Depress Resistance is so much more powerful than Assay Spell Resistance that it's not funny.

And the abilities are all over the place, too. A 20th level human wizard (18 base + 5 level + 5 inherent + 3 age + 6 item) can use his Int-based abilities 14/day. In a 5 level class.

Snow Posted - 01 Sep 2015 : 01:01:28
Hi C.E.V. Sorry to get back to you so late. And I heard about your housing situation in the other thread. Hope things get better for you.

I had a number of criticisms (constructive ones, I promise!) about the class abilities, class skills & prerequisites of your PrC. But I think I'll refrain from a detailed line-item analysis as I don't wanna come across as *too* critical in my drill-down. I've built and critiqued many a spellcaster PrC (way more so than martial/mundane PrC's) since the inception of 3.X - both for WotC and a number of indie 3PP's. Especially so for the sub-variant of spellcaster PrCs known as Martial Spellcaster PrCs or Gish PrCs. Which your Evereskan Battlemage certainly is ....

Probably the easiest and quickest way to justify your selections of pre-reqs, class abilities and class skills ... is to better flesh-out your flavor text paragraph so the reader can see why the spellcaster gets access to those specific PrC skills via prior training & vocational emphasis, etc. As it stands, that paragraph doesn't quite accomplish that. You may also want to review the Evereskan Tomb Guardian PrC for comparative PrC structuring. As well as the myriad array of WotC 3.0/3.5 "Martial Spellcaster PrCs" out there that have similar PrC structuring to your Battlemage - Eldritch Knight, Spellsword, Havok Mage, Raumathari Battlemage, Dragonslayer, Swiftblade, Abjurant Champion, the list goes on and on. As you'll note some of these are actually FRCS-specific.

That all said, I really do all like your homebrew game mechanics! I hope to see more, too!
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 28 Jul 2015 : 01:05:06
Yes the critique is welcome
Snow Posted - 25 Jul 2015 : 20:21:24
C.E.V., is this a 3.0 or 3.5 class? I ask because I see you mentioning the Scry skill, which is non-existant in 3.5. Also, I do see a number of mechanical issues and flavor-text-matching-granted-class-ability issuesthat you'd probably want to address. If you're interested ...

I love seeing Evereskan flavored PrCs though!
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 20 Jul 2015 : 21:11:22
Another re-vamp on this prc. Hope you enjoy.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 06 Jan 2012 : 13:19:55
made a tweek. notice?
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 16 May 2010 : 23:15:32
Thank you very much! ;)
Nicolai Withander Posted - 09 Mar 2010 : 22:30:15
ok.... cause only spells which you need to make a touch or ranged touch attack with would get a bonus from the Weapon Focus feat.

Other than that... Nice class!
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 08 Mar 2010 : 18:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

Was just wondering what you deem as being an Energy missile spell... because spellfocus on magic missile wont give you anything since they always hit!

Like Melf's Acid arrow, or Dark Bolt, Fireball, etc...
Nicolai Withander Posted - 08 Mar 2010 : 10:39:35
Was just wondering what you deem as being an Energy missile spell... because spellfocus on magic missile wont give you anything since they always hit!
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 06 Mar 2010 : 01:33:13
Okay I made the Spell Penetration change. Hope you all enjoy!
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 28 Oct 2009 : 00:38:36
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Looks good overall: My first impression is that Twin spell is a pointless choice: If you enter the PrC @ 7th level, you can only twin 0th level spells- Since one of the abilities of the class revolves around overcoming SR, I recommend swapping Twin Spell out for Spell Penetration.

Not a bad idea at all. I think I'll do that. Thanks.
Knight of the Gate Posted - 28 Oct 2009 : 00:15:36
Looks good overall: My first impression is that Twin spell is a pointless choice: If you enter the PrC @ 7th level, you can only twin 0th level spells- Since one of the abilities of the class revolves around overcoming SR, I recommend swapping Twin Spell out for Spell Penetration.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000