Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Larloch and Ioulaum?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Noxica Posted - 16 Feb 2010 : 15:09:53
This is a two part question..

From what I know, Ioulaum is just sitting around in the Underdark as an undead overmind creating Alhoon's and brewing masterful plans, (waiting for DM intervention).

Any news on him in 4e? Has he done anything or died? He has to be once of the oldest figures in FR predating even Larloch.

Which segways into my next question, Larloch is a Netheril prince but what information is there about who he was during the times of Netheril, what enclave did he run and how did he survive Karsus folly?

I have Netheril: Empire of Magic, which is great but lacks information about the above scenarios.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wrigley Posted - 23 Nov 2015 : 17:43:30
This scroll made me think about Ioulaum. He was born -3315 DR, in -3014 he creates first Mythalar and in -2954 first flying enclave. His next known move is in -371 when he suddenly quit his dependance on magic rituals to support his life and became undead lich (already almost 3000 years old). Soon after that exactly this type of magic stops working due to Mystra's ban. He also build underground fortress for himself in Northdark. I have noticed that he was barely few hundred years old when in -2500 came the fall of Imaskari. For mage of this caliber distance doesn't matter so I presume that Netheril and Imaskari were in some form of contact, probably only on personal basis. This led me to conclusion that his lair in Northdark has something to do with Imaskari. Since there is a Deep Imaskari settlement I believe that he has been trying to find this city but couldn't overcome its defenses. He found out from elsewhere (some Imaskari ruin or survivor) about its creation and was frustrated by his inability to find it. As a arogant netheriese archwizard he came to conclusion that his human mortal form must be slowing him down and turned to lichdom. When it didn't helped he tried to enhance power of his mind by becoming elderbrain (he first experimented with ilithids and their reaction to lichdom, creating first alhoons as byproduct). his apprentice made wrong asumption that elderbrane ate him and destroyed whole brood. Unlucky Ioulaum is now stranded by his form and went a little mad. But recently Deep Imaskari broke it's seal and started to investigate outside world (in my realms seal was broken by Time of Troubles). I am pretty sure that at least few Deep Imaskari scouts will be a very tasty snack for him and this could restore some of his sanity.
Wrigley Posted - 21 Nov 2015 : 09:08:53
I like the idea that Larloch is occupied by searching for Nether Scrolls. It make sense and will keep him busy for some time :-)

However for Ioulaum I am not sure about his business. For his willingness to become elderbrain I believe he tryed to transcend his limitation of human mind but what was his plan for future I have no idea...
Anybody have some clues about his current motives or schemes?
The Masked Mage Posted - 21 Nov 2015 : 03:05:44
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

A couple of points here...

First, I think that Larloch's stats in LoD are rather underpowered. I wouldn't give him stats at all, really, since there's no need... as has been said elsewhere, by Wooly, Ed himself, and probably others, any lich encountered in Warlock's Crypt will be one of Larloch's servitor liches. With the number of powerful underlings ruled by someone like Larloch, would you risk yourself in direct confrontation? The only way to come face to face with Larloch himself should be at his instigation, and then only if the PCs have something he is interested in. And, of course, should such an encounter turn violent, it will end one of two ways: either Larloch annihilates the PCs, or the PCs succeed in destroying another servitor lich that Larloch has magically transposed himself with thanks to powerful contingency magic.

Second, I like the idea of the destroyed Nether Scrolls reforming... an artifact that powerful should not be so easily destroyed as those missing scrolls apparently were. I like the idea that the dispersed set has been gradually collected by the sarrukh liches of Oreme over the years, and they acquire the final scroll(s) shortly before the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar is unbound (if that event even happens in your campaign; I'm undecided about that particular event, myself).

Third, Larloch + Nether Scrolls = new deity of magic. It's not difficult math.

According to Ed, Larloch is an "Ultralich" so I'm doubting any stats for him are overpowered. However, if you think about it, creating a servitor lich would likely be know more difficult than binding an extraplanar entity. Once you know how, its easy peasy. The first servitor lich is impressive, the rest are just another day at the office :)
The Masked Mage Posted - 21 Nov 2015 : 03:00:56
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Speaking of the illithid elder brain... I've always wondered if the illithid and the aboleth are allied toward some greater evil purpose... and if maybe that purpose has now been fulfilled in some way...

Why not?! If the phaerimm and the malaugrym allied to try to rid of the Shadovar, an alliance between abeleths and illithids is possible, (also considering that they're all psionicists).

In the Night Below adventure boxed set there were both illithids and aboleth.
_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 20 Nov 2015 : 13:36:46
So the Herald gave some nice little insight into these two.
Larloch seems to have been a choosen of Mystryl, at least he claimed so, and was plotting to become the next good of magic himself. We also saw some extend of his power and it looked like he surpased Telamonth Thantul, one of the mightiest wizards, by far. I'm looking forward to see if larloch, being a lich, will recover in the future or not.

As for Ioulaum we at least know that he still seems to be around, because Telamont warned his two agents about him.
Dennis Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 11:34:53

An interesting possibility, one I prefer to his current state.
The Masked Mage Posted - 26 Jan 2013 : 11:13:55
I always thought the Ioulaum going to the underdark to become a big undead brain just to survive because his magic was doomed idea was pretty silly. All he had to do to survive the fall was go to another plane. So, I figure, this is another case of Wulgreth-itis. Another less powerful wizard called himself Ioulaum and became the brain. The real Ioulaum is still at large, possibly in his own little demi-plane somewhere.
Dennis Posted - 07 Jul 2010 : 01:59:28
quote:

Speaking of the illithid elder brain... I've always wondered if the illithid and the aboleth are allied toward some greater evil purpose... and if maybe that purpose has now been fulfilled in some way...

Why not?! If the phaerimm and the malaugrym allied to try to rid of the Shadovar, an alliance between abeleths and illithids is possible, (also considering that they're all psionicists).
Dennis Posted - 07 Jul 2010 : 01:52:14

Though he doesn't have to because of the scores of powerful minions he has, I think it'll be quite fun to see Larloch OVERTLY MEDDLING with Realms events.

Nicolai Withander Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 01:18:12
What Larloch was reseaching all these yeaars...the new 4ed rules!
Knight of the Gate Posted - 20 Jun 2010 : 14:55:45
quote:
Originally posted by Morhion

quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

quote:

From a recent communication in Ed's scroll, I have all but confirmed that Ioulaum, Halaster, and Larloch were essentially Chosen of Mystryl (depending on whether or not that was the terminology in use at the time). Conclusive confirmation of such speculation I suspect is impossible due to one or more NDAs that are, of course, ever so relevant in our post-Spellplague current official timeline.

Some more info that supports your point, take it with a grain of salt since its the writings in a in world book.
quote:
Originally from Shadow of the Avatar Volume 1

Chief among the book's secrets of Realmslore is the matter of Mystra's essence or vitality. As mistress of magic, her power is far greater than that of the other gods of Toril. Yet, to mortals at least, it seems not so. Therein lies the secret.

Throughout history, as long as there have been gods, and people of Toril to worship them, the essential power of Mystra has been held not only by the goddess herself, but by a self-willed, loyal demigod—Azuth, who was the greatest archmage of his day—and a handful of mortals.

These mortals cannot wield what they hold of Mystra's power, but they can withhold it, even from the goddess herself. This self-will, and the mortals' often widespread travels, keep Mystra from ruling all of Realmspace and prevent any other being from doing so through her. Should Mystra ask to use the power that they hold, each of the mortals can willingly let it pass into her, but they cannot be coerced into doing so. At the moment when one of these mortals dies, the power that he or she holds passes into the greater essence of life in Toril, returning to Mystra slowly but usable by none except her.

It seems to also imply that Mystryl had Chosen. It is also interesting to read what became of said power when Chosen died. Seems like a very plausible way of reviving Mystra might be kill a bunch of her Chosen and eventually that power would reform into her. Another interesting idea, but much more far fetched, would be if she created a servant whose job was just that, say an evil being like oh Larloch.

As far as Larloch having any of the Nether Scrolls I haven't been able to find the scroll from Ed that states that. I would be interested in reading that though. Anyone?

April-June 2006 of 'So Saith Ed'
"In the case of Mystryl, she sacrificed herself, not foreseeing that she'd be reborn. She had no Chosen or preselected mortal vessel, and did not know or intend that she'd "live on."
As to Larloch having the Nether Scrolls, that piece of text Jakk quoted comes from Jaerom Darkwinds fan-based character writeup of Larloch from years ago, originally posted on Dicefreaks. It has no basis in any official lore as far as I'm aware of.

Good reference, Morhion: I knew I'd read that somewhere! Goodto know the provenance of that bit and now I know that I was wrong and it isn't canon.
Morhion Posted - 20 Jun 2010 : 08:35:11
quote:

quote:

From a recent communication in Ed's scroll, I have all but confirmed that Ioulaum, Halaster, and Larloch were essentially Chosen of Mystryl (depending on whether or not that was the terminology in use at the time). Conclusive confirmation of such speculation I suspect is impossible due to one or more NDAs that are, of course, ever so relevant in our post-Spellplague current official timeline.

Some more info that supports your point, take it with a grain of salt since its the writings in a in world book.
quote:

Chief among the book's secrets of Realmslore is the matter of Mystra's essence or vitality. As mistress of magic, her power is far greater than that of the other gods of Toril. Yet, to mortals at least, it seems not so. Therein lies the secret.

Throughout history, as long as there have been gods, and people of Toril to worship them, the essential power of Mystra has been held not only by the goddess herself, but by a self-willed, loyal demigod—Azuth, who was the greatest archmage of his day—and a handful of mortals.

These mortals cannot wield what they hold of Mystra's power, but they can withhold it, even from the goddess herself. This self-will, and the mortals' often widespread travels, keep Mystra from ruling all of Realmspace and prevent any other being from doing so through her. Should Mystra ask to use the power that they hold, each of the mortals can willingly let it pass into her, but they cannot be coerced into doing so. At the moment when one of these mortals dies, the power that he or she holds passes into the greater essence of life in Toril, returning to Mystra slowly but usable by none except her.

It seems to also imply that Mystryl had Chosen. It is also interesting to read what became of said power when Chosen died. Seems like a very plausible way of reviving Mystra might be kill a bunch of her Chosen and eventually that power would reform into her. Another interesting idea, but much more far fetched, would be if she created a servant whose job was just that, say an evil being like oh Larloch.

As far as Larloch having any of the Nether Scrolls I haven't been able to find the scroll from Ed that states that. I would be interested in reading that though. Anyone?

April-June 2006 of 'So Saith Ed'
"In the case of Mystryl, she sacrificed herself, not foreseeing that she'd be reborn. She had no Chosen or preselected mortal vessel, and did not know or intend that she'd "live on."
As to Larloch having the Nether Scrolls, that piece of text Jakk quoted comes from Jaerom Darkwinds fan-based character writeup of Larloch from years ago, originally posted on Dicefreaks. It has no basis in any official lore as far as I'm aware of.
Dracons Posted - 29 May 2010 : 20:03:03
quote:
Originally posted by Quale
Ugh don't ruin my imagination, something much more impressive, imagine the adamantine golem from ELH mixed with some elements from Starcraft's Protoss (but dark-purplish).

Or just put Ioulaum inside a slightly hollow versian of admantine golem that he can use mobile. A walking golem with the brainpower of him. Oi. Pain upon pain.
Quale Posted - 29 May 2010 : 09:55:44
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Like dreadnoughts from Warhammer40K? Not with these technologies.
And actually that state is the best for planning deep underground under the guard of millions of minions.

Ugh don't ruin my imagination, something much more impressive, imagine the adamantine golem from ELH mixed with some elements from Starcraft's Protoss (but dark-purplish).

Millions of minions, from where, what would they eat? And he seems a solitary type, not a tyrant.
Jakk Posted - 27 May 2010 : 07:46:49
Sill Alias Posted - 27 May 2010 : 03:38:51
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Everybody forgets about Ioulaum cause he's immobile, always wanted to place his undead brain into a colossal adamantine construct, tentacles becoming like nerves.

Like dreadnoughts from Warhammer40K? Not with these technologies.
And actually that state is the best for planning deep underground under the guard of millions of minions.
Jakk Posted - 26 May 2010 : 17:36:16
quote:

I agree Larloch seems to be a character that you should never need stats for but that is up to each DM. If his stats are under powered or not? Meh, with some many servitor liches and such a large cache of magical items he is pretty much unapproachable.

I agree entirely. That's why I've never bothered re-statting him.

quote:

As for the Nether Scrolls found the quote:
quote:
From page 8 of "Arcane Age Netheril: Encyclopedia Arcana"
The nether scrolls were immune to all magical effects, including disintegration spells and harmful magic. They could be hammered into an unrecognizable mass, however, as was demonstrated a few times in Netheril's long history. Eventually, the magic of the nether scrolls would recombine lost pieces of itself, but the time required for such a rebirth was long (it's unknown if it has reformed currently, but the Netherese never saw the scrolls reform themselves).

The fact that they were stated as minor artifacts instead of major artifacts I think has more to do with the fact that they aren't unique rather than their power level.

Possibly... but the fact that there are only two (known) copies should be enough to ignore the "uniqueness" qualifier. They're certainly as rare as any unique artifact, given that both sets are (largely) accounted for.
Quale Posted - 26 May 2010 : 07:44:21
Everybody forgets about Ioulaum cause he's immobile, always wanted to place his undead brain into a colossal adamantine construct, tentacles becoming like nerves.
Gelcur Posted - 26 May 2010 : 01:25:01
I agree Larloch seems to be a character that you should never need stats for but that is up to each DM. If his stats are under powered or not? Meh, with some many servitor liches and such a large cache of magical items he is pretty much unapproachable.

As for the Nether Scrolls found the quote:
quote:
From page 8 of "Arcane Age Netheril: Encyclopedia Arcana"
The nether scrolls were immune to all magical effects, including disintegration spells and harmful magic. They could be hammered into an unrecognizable mass, however, as was demonstrated a few times in Netheril's long history. Eventually, the magic of the nether scrolls would recombine lost pieces of itself, but the time required for such a rebirth was long (it's unknown if it has reformed currently, but the Netherese never saw the scrolls reform themselves).

The fact that they were stated as minor artifacts instead of major artifacts I think has more to do with the fact that they aren't unique rather than their power level.
Jakk Posted - 25 May 2010 : 03:29:41
A couple of points here...

First, I think that Larloch's stats in LoD are rather underpowered. I wouldn't give him stats at all, really, since there's no need... as has been said elsewhere, by Wooly, Ed himself, and probably others, any lich encountered in Warlock's Crypt will be one of Larloch's servitor liches. With the number of powerful underlings ruled by someone like Larloch, would you risk yourself in direct confrontation? The only way to come face to face with Larloch himself should be at his instigation, and then only if the PCs have something he is interested in. And, of course, should such an encounter turn violent, it will end one of two ways: either Larloch annihilates the PCs, or the PCs succeed in destroying another servitor lich that Larloch has magically transposed himself with thanks to powerful contingency magic.

Second, I like the idea of the destroyed Nether Scrolls reforming... an artifact that powerful should not be so easily destroyed as those missing scrolls apparently were. I like the idea that the dispersed set has been gradually collected by the sarrukh liches of Oreme over the years, and they acquire the final scroll(s) shortly before the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar is unbound (if that event even happens in your campaign; I'm undecided about that particular event, myself).

Third, Larloch + Nether Scrolls = new deity of magic. It's not difficult math.
Sandro Posted - 24 May 2010 : 09:16:16
quote:

Page 156 of LEoF details the Nether Scrolls. It states that there are two sets, each with 50 scrolls, 10 scrolls compose one of the 5 chapters.

One is located in Windsong Tower, in Myth Drannor, as a beech tree. The other set is broken up. In the 1344 DR, 3 scrolls are under the Grandfather Tree in the High Forest, 2 are in the Crypt of Hssthak beneath Anauroch, a few have been destroyed, the rest are unaccounted for. The destroyed one I don't believe, I think the old 2E description of them stated that they would eventually reform themselves.

Page 161 of LoD details Larloch. I don't see anything about Nether Scrolls there.

There's no mention of the Nether Scrolls in Larloch's entry in LoD -- I read through it about three times to confirm it, after Krash pointed out that Larloch's possession of the scrolls was not canon. As for the scrolls reforming, that certainly sounds right to my ears: they're out there somewhere, certainly.
Sill Alias Posted - 22 May 2010 : 19:09:49
Killing all the Chosen is too brutal. I think there is alternative and Larloch is researching it.
Gelcur Posted - 22 May 2010 : 18:55:41
Page 156 of LEoF details the Nether Scrolls. It states that there are two sets, each with 50 scrolls, 10 scrolls compose one of the 5 chapters.

One is located in Windsong Tower, in Myth Drannor, as a beech tree. The other set is broken up. In the 1344 DR, 3 scrolls are under the Grandfather Tree in the High Forest, 2 are in the Crypt of Hssthak beneath Anauroch, a few have been destroyed, the rest are unaccounted for. The destroyed one I don't believe, I think the old 2E description of them stated that they would eventually reform themselves.

Page 161 of LoD details Larloch. I don't see anything about Nether Scrolls there.
Zireael Posted - 22 May 2010 : 09:50:00
quote:
<snip>

I think it was said in one of Realms rulebooks. Where Larloch's stats are... Magic of Faerun? Or in LEoF.
Gelcur Posted - 22 May 2010 : 02:47:59
quote:

quote:

Knight of the Gate Posted - 21 May 2010 : 06:05:36
On the topic of Larloch having a complete set of Nether Scrolls, I believe this to be correct, based on either 'Ask Ed' or 'So Saith Ed'; As I recall, in return for some service to Mystra (v1.0), the goddess created a new set of Nether Scrolls just for the Ultra-Lich, which is to say that he does not possess one of the original copies.
Jakk Posted - 21 May 2010 : 05:48:23
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

This place is a much more certain means of getting the correct information on any FR topic than Wikipedia. Might not be as quick - but Sage and Wooly give it a red hot go.

-- George Krashos

Oh, aye, most definitely. This place is truly wonderful for any kind of Realms fan.

I agree whole-heartedly on both counts... although... there is a certain terrified glee to be had at the thought of Larloch having a complete set of the Nether Scrolls...

The big question in such a situation is: WWLD? (What Would Larloch Do?)

Edit: I just checked out that link, and I think there might be something canon to it... what follows is a quote of the relevant section from the EnWorld post:
quote:
An important focus of his research has been the reconstruction of the foundation of all Netherese magic—the Nether Scrolls. Though their creation is beyond even his vast power, he has spent many centuries patiently searching for and gathering as many of the originals as he could. His collection totals seventeen scrolls in all, including the complete arcanis fundare—the chapter focused on the nature of magic itself. Though the Netherese believed that this chapter contained only the most basic knowledge, and existed only to prepare a reader for more advanced material in the succeeding chapters, like all the scrolls it changes to match the knowledge of its reader. From the arcanis fundare Larloch has drawn great insights into metamagic and epic spellcasting, and the nature of the Weave itself. This set of scrolls has formed the core of his arcane research, and even after over a millennium of study he continues to glean new revelations on the manipulation of magic. Having secured this chapter in its entirety, Larloch is less concerned with the others, though he plans to eventually secure a complete set.

He doesn't actually have a complete set, but he's working on it, and I believe this is mentioned in a canon source. I'll work on tracking down that source later; I'm working early tomorrow morning, and it's late where I am. If someone beats me to finding and posting the source here, then thank you in advance, whoever you might be.
Sandro Posted - 17 May 2010 : 09:34:59
quote:

This place is a much more certain means of getting the correct information on any FR topic than Wikipedia. Might not be as quick - but Sage and Wooly give it a red hot go.

-- George Krashos

Oh, aye, most definitely. This place is truly wonderful for any kind of Realms fan.
George Krashos Posted - 17 May 2010 : 06:40:31

-- George Krashos
Sandro Posted - 16 May 2010 : 10:19:07
quote:

Sage is right regarding the fact that Wikipedia contains some fan-derived information rather than material in keeping with the published sources. The one that makes me cringe is the statement that Larloch possesses a set of the Nether Scrolls. To my feeble knowledge that's never been stated in the sources, but keeps popping up again and again.

-- George Krashos

Hmm, that was always one of the facts that I took for granted as being true: suits me right for trusting the Wiki.

Upon further research, the whole theory (and much of the Wiki's article) seems to be based on this EN World post, which seems to be entirely fan-created.

Well, now I feel quite the idiot. Let this be a warning to all, so that some good at least comes of it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000