Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Harptos and Augathra

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rachan Posted - 15 Jan 2010 : 07:13:04
Hey, all. First post. I'm designing an FR campaign with a BIG focus on the "Forgotten" part ...

Act One takes place in 4th edition Faerun, and involves a lot of archaeology and mystery solving in the ruins of dead empires like Mulhorand and Raumathar (sort of like Raiders of the Lost Ark, with Cyricists, Zhents and Banites playing the Nazis).

Act Two goes back in time to the cusp of the Dawn Ages and the First Flowering, when the rule of dragons was coming to an end.

After stepping through what they thought was a functional time portal, Act Three dumps the party in 2nd edition Faerun. This is eventually where I introduce the majorest of my major NPCs ...

And Act Four is where (when?), after discovering how this blasted time portal thing works, the party uncovers some bit of information that makes all the disjointed experiences of the first three acts slam together in one of those holy-crap-why-didn't-I-see-that-coming moments. They figure out who the Bad Guy is (Aboleths? Primordials? I don't really know yet), and chase him/them/it through the previously explored dead empires -- only now during the pinnacles of their societies (think, PCs! What do you remember about this temple now that the god-king that lived in it is still alive and waiting for you to prove you're not enemy spies?)

For the final showdown, the party calls on alliances made with Dawn Age dragons in Act Two to appeal to their descendants for aid in preventing an "Earth-Shattering Kaboom" (apologies to Marvin the Martian).

My question is (finally...):

Where can I find official game stat information on the characters Harptos and Augathra the Mad? These are the two "majorest" NPCs I mentioned in Act Three. Ordinarily, I'd just homebrew something, but if this campaign goes well, I'd like to scribe it into a comic book format and submit it to WotC for publishing -- ergo, I need canon.

While we're on that, can anyone throw me some specific titles (novels or supplements) to look for at my local bookstore that would give me some story info on Harptos, Augathra or any of the major "dead empires?" I'm not committed to using any specific empires yet ... I'm trying to plan this event-based, dropping a lot of quest seeds and only actually researching the ones my party follows. (Let's face it, this story would be a RIDICULOUS waste of planning if I did it the old-fashioned way.)

I WILL be purchasing A Grand Tour of the Realms and the 2nd Ed. supplement Netheril: Empire of Magic once I find copies. All I'm going on right now is the 2nd Ed. Grey Box and the 4th Ed. Campaign Guide and Player's Guide. I'm embarrassed to say I've never read an FR novel.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rachan Posted - 15 Jan 2010 : 19:29:40
This is great, guys! Thanks!

I'm relieved to hear that Harptos was never really developed. I was looking forward to building him myself, and what The Hooded One described fits almost perfectly with how I envisioned him -- scholar, inventor, historian, observer. Prefers his own thoughts to the company of others. Abstains from using magic as much as possible; only learned it in the first place as a tool to gain a better understanding of the natural world around him. Bit of a hippie, with a sarcastic streak.

(I pictured him tall, with whitish-blond hair.)

Neither of these characters will have an adventuring role, they'll both appear in more of a "Yoda" from "The Empire Strikes Back sort of way.
The Hooded One Posted - 15 Jan 2010 : 18:07:00
Oh, yes, forgot to mention: Ed created Harptos (and his calendar), Augathra, and Alaundo.
love,
THO
The Hooded One Posted - 15 Jan 2010 : 18:05:06
As far as I know, Ed has only ever written a few paragraphs about Harptos, who was a short, slim, dark-haired, studious and quiet man (a scholar and inventor rather than any sort of leader).
Augathra, from her brief appearances in "Ed home campaign Realmsplay" (in magical scenes of long ago, "recorded" in spell-scenes that survive in various dungeons) could shapeshift among a limited number of alternate forms, dimension door (or short-range teleport, without error and frequently) and could phase through walls or alter her density to walk on water and open vats of oils. We couldn't tell if these abilities were innate or due to magic she carried, but they didn't seem to need castings involving gestures or material components.
Augathra was a burly, rather ugly woman with untidy dark hair, a very large head and hands for her middling height - - though in one of the scenes she appeared much younger, more slender, and blonde, still rather plain in appearance.
Hope this helps,
love,
THO
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 15 Jan 2010 : 15:36:49
In addition, Augathra wasn't statted out in Anauroch. Much like the Terraseer in the same book, it's assumed she's well beyond the capabilities of the adventuring party.
The Sage Posted - 15 Jan 2010 : 15:05:06
quote:
Originally posted by Rachan

Where can I find official game stat information on the characters Harptos and Augathra the Mad? These are the two "majorest" NPCs I mentioned in Act Three. Ordinarily, I'd just homebrew something, but if this campaign goes well, I'd like to scribe it into a comic book format and submit it to WotC for publishing -- ergo, I need canon.
There aren't any official stats for Harptos. Augathra was featured as an NPC, as I recall, in 3e's Anauroch: The Empire of Shade supplement.
quote:
While we're on that, can anyone throw me some specific titles (novels or supplements) to look for at my local bookstore that would give me some story info on Harptos, Augathra or any of the major "dead empires?" I'm not committed to using any specific empires yet ... I'm trying to plan this event-based, dropping a lot of quest seeds and only actually researching the ones my party follows. (Let's face it, this story would be a RIDICULOUS waste of planning if I did it the old-fashioned way.)
In addition to both Lost Empires of Faerūn and The Grand History of the Realms, you should check out most of the regional sources, which often feature lore on ancient and/or lost and/or dead civilisations, realms, and empires.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jan 2010 : 11:19:44
I don't recall anything on Harptos...

Augathra the Mad, though, is in the Anauroch: The Empire of Shade supermodule.

For dead empires, consult Lost Empires of Faerūn. Also check out The Grand History of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000