Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Known Dwarven Clans from Ammarindar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 00:40:46
I was just wondering if any dwarven clans, other than the ruling one, was ever mentioned as having been from Ammarindar.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Duneth Despana Posted - 18 Jun 2015 : 13:21:15
How about the Firehammer clan (SotSC & VgttSC)?
Duneth Despana Posted - 16 Jun 2015 : 20:23:56
An index I just found had Threlked Ironfist: N:W43, Nikerym Volar 'Ironfist' Honedaxe: FoMD30, Guldagh Ironfist: FR13:33 and Boronuil Ironfist: FR16:10
Duneth Despana Posted - 16 Jun 2015 : 19:58:06
I think Ironfist are mentioned in relation to Westdelve near Loudwater, but what shows up on Google is Turgo Ironfist.
Brimstone Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 14:49:34
Thats what I was going to ask.
Hoondatha Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 13:23:30
Source?
Snowblood Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 05:27:51
add Ironfist and Rockfist to those clans as being heirs to the bloodline of Helmma
Hoondatha Posted - 08 Nov 2006 : 20:36:43
Basically that it was founded as fears of Netheril grew, as I recal, and then was shut down after Netheril fell.

Ammarindar and Eaerlann are in much the same boat, I've noticed. They get almost no time allocated to them, even though they survived a century longer than Myth Drannor (Eaerlann was the last genuine elven empire to fall) and almost nothing is known about them. Which gives DM's a lot of flexibility (somethign I've definately taken advantage of in my games), but can still be annoying.

The various products can't even agree on how powerful they were (Eaerlann was called both anemic and a powerhouse in the same product). Personally, I tend toward the more powerful end of the spectrum, simply because I can't see two empires in such a dangerous area (orc horde central) being able to survive nearly 5000 years without a significant military and the civilians to support it.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Nov 2006 : 11:06:10
Xothol, it was mentioned in Lost Empires of Faerun. Don't have it handy at the moment or I'd cite the page number.

Edit: Okay, page 87 of Lost Empires of Faerun mentions Xothol and the explanation behind its founding.
Sian Posted - 08 Nov 2006 : 08:14:53
KEJR ... do you have a source you would like to share about Ammarindar and their Acarne willingness??
Surly Dwarf Posted - 08 Nov 2006 : 07:42:33
The exiled clan is Clan Tarynstone (LEOF pg.128), that may be the third clan.
Ergdusch Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 21:36:33
First time I ever hear of a dwarven mage school! Really! I thought the stout folk did not really like magic and had/has a rather conservative view on the arcane matters.......

Mmmh - I guess I have to think again!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 15:12:53
Thanks for the clan names. I searched back through the timeline in Cormanthyr and found those names in the timeline. I went through there before, but I didn't see those before.

At any rate, I think that discreptancy between how Ammarindar seems to be portrayed depends on how you defend "great." Ammarindar was not militarily powerful like other dwarven nations of their day. They apparently didn't have a powerful standing army, but at the same time they were extreemly rich. Its also interesting that they were more worried about setting up a mage's school to oppose Netheril than having a standing army.
Surly Dwarf Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 06:47:51
I don't think it specifies which clan came from where but the clans mentioned as going to Myth Drannor were Snowsbattle and Honedaxe, cannot recall a third name but they were probably the ones kicked out for mining under Myth Drannor.
Seemes a little odd to me that Ammarindar has become a fallen but once powerful kingdom when back in Dwarves Deep they were described as weak,by Dwarven kingdom standards anyway.
hammer of Moradin Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 22:16:27
This is a prevalent problem with specific information on dwarven clans, and dwarves in general. When hints are dropped in the sourcebooks, it would be nice to have a few names. I understand that many players like to use their own information and ideas, but in a setting like the Forgotten Realms there should always be some basic names and information that links everyone's ideas together.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 15:59:56
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I was just wondering if any dwarven clans, other than the ruling one, was ever mentioned as having been from Ammarindar.

In what sourcebook did you find the mentioning of the the ruing clan in the first place? Or is the name of the realm the same as that of the ruling clan - Ammarindar?

However, Dwarves Deep has an article with the names of last kings/queens and history of that lost dwarven realm.

Edit:
Further, some minor information about Ammarindar and magic items of the realm can be found in the Dungeon Crawl Adventure Hellgate Keep.

You make a good point. When I was posting this, I had scoured Dwarves Deep, Lost Empires of Faerun, Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, and Underdark, and I knew that some of the royalty of the Realm had been named, but in going back and looking at the references, I they were all named by their first name, and even their clan name is not given.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 15:17:01
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Edit: IIRC "Cormanthyr" talks about how some clans from Ammarindar migrate to Myth Drannor.

-- George Krashos

Why George, that is exactly why I am interested in said clans
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 13:53:44
I think that rebel dwarf priest of Moradin in Llorkh is related to the Ammarindar royality..but I could be wrong..
Ergdusch Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 09:46:17
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Edit: IIRC "Cormanthyr" talks about how some clans from Ammarindar migrate to Myth Drannor.

-- George Krashos

It does but without much going into detail. It only gives the year of the migration nad the number of clans (3), not all from Ammarindar but from Citadell Felbarr as well.
Ergdusch Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 09:42:13
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

In what sourcebook did you find the mentioning of the the ruing clan in the first place? Or is the name of the realm the same as that of the ruling clan - Ammarindar?

However, Dwarves Deep has an article with the names of last kings/queens and history of that lost dwarven realm.

Edit:
Further, some minor information about Ammarindar and magic items of the realm can be found in the Dungeon Crawl Adventure Hellgate Keep.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 08:12:10
One would think with the retcon thunderblessing and all that dwarves would get more attention, but unless the next RSE is the reclamation of Shanatar and the severe butt-kicking of the races that had conquered the area (be they surface or Underdark) I fear not much will happen.
Wandering_mage Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 07:22:48
The sad plight of the Dwarves indeed. I'm a huge Elf fan but the Dwarves need some face time badly.
George Krashos Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 06:23:38
Not officially that I recall, although upcoming stuff in Dragon might mention something on Ammarindar. Maybe. Just goes to show what little real information we have on dwarves as opposed to the elves. Even less for gnomes and halflings. Power to the little people!

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000