Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Ghosts of Christmas Past: Santa in 3.x & 5E

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Dec 2008 : 01:56:07
So earlier today, I recommended the wonderful third-party book Faeries to someone... I recalled, after doing so, that one of the NPCs detailed in there is the Holly King, who has many other names -- among them, Kris Kringle.

This made me recall something WotC did for the holidays in 2001 and 2002: They presented us with a D&D Santa Claus, Nicholas the Gift-Giver. I tracked down the links, and I'm putting them all here, to make things simple for DMs wanting to do a holiday session.

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Nicholas the Gift-Giver's Northern Palace
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

Original, 3.x version:
Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

5E version:

2018 Edit: Adding the 5E version

2022 Edit: The 5E link is still good, but the 3E links no longer work <Insert negative commentary about the Wizards web team here >. I'm leaving the links there, though, so people can copy them and toss them into the Internet Archive and find the content that way, if they are so inclined.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Nov 2023 : 03:51:52
The 5E link is still good, and since I've had one of my Thanksgiving dinners*, it's time for my annual stickying of this thread so people can download a Christmas adventure from WotC. The link is in the first post.

*(We had dinner with my in-laws, yesterday... My vegan in-laws. I am not vegan, so we will be doing a smaller dinner with a proper turkey for just the three of us, upon the morrow)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2022 : 17:00:20
Or, since it's a direct link to a pdf, it's automatically downloading the file.
Kentinal Posted - 28 Nov 2022 : 11:10:51
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Doing my yearly thread necro, and temporarily sticky-ing the topic.

The link to the 5E version is still valid:

Link starts to open a page then closes without any interaction I can see. Dunno if that means the site is gone or what?

Steven

It open my browser request to read PDF, your security setting might be blocking request.

I can view the file.
Steven Schend Posted - 28 Nov 2022 : 10:57:51
quote:

Link starts to open a page then closes without any interaction I can see. Dunno if that means the site is gone or what?

Steven
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Nov 2022 : 22:11:13

Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Nov 2021 : 12:03:07
Decided to go a bit early, this year... Doing my annual thread necromancy and re-stickying this topic.

All the links in the first post (at least, the ones not lined through) are good; I just checked. We have "Nicholas the Gift Giver", his Palace, and his gnomes, in 3.x and 5E versions.

To those celebrating tomorrow: Happy Thanksgiving!
Delnyn Posted - 13 Dec 2020 : 11:47:00
Christmas-themed campaigns in FR are fun! In 1997, one of our players made an adorable cartoon of festive Storm Silverhand wearing an elf helper outfit trying to fit crotchety Elminster into a Santa output. He is grimacing and wincing, all the while smoking his pipe.

I sorely regret not making a color photograph of that cartoon!
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Dec 2020 : 05:48:07
Master Rupert,

Thanks for posting this. I forgot to mention: a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you. I hope you and yours had a fantastic holiday, and an equally amazing Christmas and New Years!

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Nov 2020 : 15:44:38
It is Thanksgiving in the US, which marks the traditional start of the Christmas season... Which means it's time for my annual thread necromancy, for those DMs inclined to run Christmas-themed sessions for their groups.

I have confirmed that the links for the 3.x and 5E content are all good.

Enjoy whatever seasons you celebrate this time of year!
Brimstone Posted - 29 Nov 2019 : 03:38:11
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Heh. I'll have to dig out the PLANESCAPE interpretation I had for Father Christmas as a Ring-Giver in a one-shot campaign I ran a couple of years ago.

I guess we are still waiting?

LOL this didn't age well, or did it?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Nov 2019 : 03:11:24
And I am now calling it Christmas season, and doing my annual resurrection of this thread. The links have been checked and are still good, and I've stickied this thread again, until after Christmas.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2018 : 23:54:49
Updated the first post to include the 5E content.

quote:

Original, 3.x version:
Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

5E version:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Nov 2018 : 23:42:04
quote:
Originally posted by killerasus

Hey Wooly, there's an 5th edition version of Nicholas the Gift-Givers' Northern Palace in a Dragon+ from 2017.

http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/116351/103606994?loadFresh=true&title=17_12_Dragon%20Classics

I was not aware of this! I've not paid much attention to Dragon+, since there's no easy mechanism to download the articles to pdf and the one time I tried the copy/paste routine it was a formatting nightmare.
killerasus Posted - 28 Nov 2018 : 04:53:02
Hey Wooly, there's an 5th edition version of Nicholas the Gift-Givers' Northern Palace in a Dragon+ from 2017.

http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/116351/103606994?loadFresh=true&title=17_12_Dragon%20Classics
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Nov 2018 : 22:07:17
My Thanksgiving dinner has been consumed, so I'm now calling it Christmastime -- which means dusting off this old thread, checking the links, and re-stickying it.

And the links in the original post are still good. Given the way WotC mismanages their website, the fact that those links I updated in 2014 are still good is a Christmas miracle!
Diffan Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 04:53:06
quote:

'Tis the season for necromancy!

Specifically, me resurrecting this thread, which I just remembered to do.

The links in the first post, the ones that haven't been lined thru, are still good, too -- I just checked.

Enjoy!

I honestly need to re-vamp this guy to both 4th and 5th Edition. I'll put it on my bucket List
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 03:18:59
'Tis the season for necromancy!

Specifically, me resurrecting this thread, which I just remembered to do.

The links in the first post, the ones that haven't been lined thru, are still good, too -- I just checked.

Enjoy!
The Sage Posted - 28 Nov 2016 : 14:11:33
quote:

quote:

Heh. I'll have to dig out the PLANESCAPE interpretation I had for Father Christmas as a Ring-Giver in a one-shot campaign I ran a couple of years ago.

So this post dates back to 2008...

So I'm on course to deliver this, then, following my long tradition of promising stuff for my fellow scribes... only to make them then wait years upon years.

Seriously, this one must be a record-wait for me...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Nov 2016 : 03:17:23
quote:

So this post dates back to 2008...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Nov 2016 : 03:16:51
Nothing says Christmas like thread necromancy!

The links in my first post, the ones not struck thru, are still good.
Diffan Posted - 10 Dec 2015 : 06:00:16
I'm definitely going to have to make a 4e version (and possibly 5e version) of this one and have his Workshop attacked by some thing to get the PCs involved. Maybe the Abominable Snowman with a small army of ferocious snowmen and terrible ice sculptures in a freaky winter wonderland encounter!
VikingLegion Posted - 10 Dec 2015 : 03:16:17
What with the Krampus movie being out at this time, I wonder if he's been statted in any books or Dragon magazines.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Dec 2015 : 05:39:04
quote:

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

Ah, my Candlekeep holiday tradition: thread necromancy.

The links are still good! Enjoy this 3.x version of Santa, brought to you by WotC and my sometimes odd memory!
Fellfire Posted - 25 Dec 2014 : 01:26:41
I believe it has been mentioned in a couple other threads recently, I love the description of ole Saint Nick in the Dresden Files, Winter Knight, I believe. Found it. Twas Cold Days, actually...

"...this man was a bear. His shoulders were so broadly proportioned that he made Herne look positively slender by comparison. His forearms were nearly the size of his biceps and he had the kind of thick neck that you see only in power-lifters and professional thugs. There were scars all over his hands, and more on his face, all of them faded away to ancient white lines, like those you see on some life-long bikers. He wore a coat of mail of some kind - a creature of faerie couldn't abide the touch of iron, so it had to be something else. Over the mail he wore a long open robe of scarlet, trimmed in white fur. It was held in place with a wide black leather belt. He had such a barrel of a chest that even a modest bit of stomach was a considerable mass on his huge frame. His gloves were made of black leather trimmed with more white fur and they were tucked through the belt, right next to the very plain and functional hilt of an unadorned broadsword. His hair was short and shining clean and his white beard fell over his chest like the white breaker of a wave. His eyes were clean, winter sky-blue..." - Jim Butcher
Fellfire Posted - 25 Dec 2014 : 01:10:35
quote:

St. Nick a.k.a. Annatar the Lord of Gifts a.k.a. Sauron
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 25 Dec 2014 : 00:43:27
quote:

Resurrecting this thread a bit earlier than the norm, this year... They've finally relocated all the original links, but I was able to locate the new URLs with a bit of Google-fu.

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks

I'm going to figure out how to work these into my game. Somehow.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Dec 2014 : 06:07:08
Just bumping this thread back up, since there's only a few days left to use D&D Santa in a gaming session.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2014 : 00:31:47
quote:

The Procrastinator Most High continues to prove worthy of his title, six years on!

And I had, once more, forgotten that his title originated in this particular thread.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2014 : 00:30:59
Resurrecting this thread a bit earlier than the norm, this year... They've finally relocated all the original links, but I was able to locate the new URLs with a bit of Google-fu.

Nicholas the Gift-Giver
Gnome Toymakers
Gnome Cooks
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Dec 2013 : 13:37:06
Just giving this thread a bump, to make sure people that may need it can see it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000