Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Placing Golarion on Toril

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IlexGarodan Posted - 20 Nov 2009 : 20:46:09
Hey, all.

I recently got my hands on the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting, and I utterly love what I see! I want to start exploring Golarion, but my group doesn't want to leave Toril (unless it's to Krynn or Eberron). So, I've come up with a compromise-- put the lands described in the book somewhere on Toril. The group likes the idea so far! Only.. I have no clue WHERE to place it!

I was originally planning on grafting it to the western side of Osse, but with the equator to the north of the landmass, there would be no northern glacier, and I'd have to rework Golarion. My second plan is to graft it to the west side of Anchorome, which requires much less editing, but brings to question why the great landmass to the west of Faerūn suddenly changed.

If you've incorporated the lands of Golarion into the Realms, where and how did you do it?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AndrewCollas Posted - 03 Aug 2018 : 18:07:15
*Casting Raise Thread*

This really speaks to me as I recently started running in the Greybox Forgotten Realms, as I like how open and free it is (and a bit grittier), and then had this brain child that I could stick Greyhawk to the west across the Trackless Sea, and the Known World (not Mystara but the original from Isle of Dread) on the other side of the map beyond Thay (and can make that as far as need be to still have Kara Tur if I want), and add Krynn below Greyhawk in the Southern Hemisphere, etc...

Now you guys show me how to add Golarion to the map? Wow!

This place is inspirational to say the least.

Thank you so much :)
boombrakh Posted - 24 Jun 2018 : 16:58:32
Hi. So yeah, I stumbled upon this thread here and figured that someone ought to cast thread necromancy on it.

This is what i've come up with so far. I've just overlayed the actual maps on the continents because there's no actual terrain on my map underneath and I'm not really "map savvy" so I'm kinda stuck on how to make it come alive.

Map: https://ibb.co/fWxHvT
Map w/o overlay: https://ibb.co/fFYFFT

Any suggestions?
Markustay Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 19:46:56
@Marc - I've been doing something along those lines with my 'Misbegotten Realms'. Thats kinds 'stage 1' for my building my own homebrew world map (so I can get a feel for what I want where).

The Planet Wętūbizee

A world of unparalleled adventure, where cultures clash on a daily basis. Welcome to the Forgotten Realms of Golaberron.

Note - I really disliked the way the full Golarion continents looked on the last map, so I just left the Inner Sea region and pasted Nyambe to the bottom of Garundi and Mystara to the east of Avistan (which doesn't look half bad). I figured I'd throw Sarlona, Argonnessen, & Krynn back on it just for laughs.
BlackAce Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 15:06:50
I did this myself a few years ago and it's great to see Markustay's stuff as he was telling me about it at the time ([url=http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13713] Link[/url])and I've been longing to see the result.
Marc Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 11:09:25
One other possibility is to move similar cultures on those continents closer, for example rotate Golarion 180 horizontally and place it west of Faerun. Rotate and mirror Flanaess so that Baklunish lands are south of Zakhara, Hepmonaland east of Xen'drik.

The easiest way I think is to insert each country within Faerun. That's how we played Paizo's adventures.

Irrisen - north of Rashemen
Brevoy - part of Damara
Worldwound - part of Narfell
Dalor Darden Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 01:17:12
Thanks MT! That is the very reason I was wondering...it just fit very nicely. The only "problem" might be two oriental lands...but in truth it could just be Kara-Tur that is to the west instead of East...leaving the East of Golarion open...
Markustay Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 00:58:48
Thats actually a very small map to begin with (I'm not sure if Photosbucket changed it much at all).

My original was huge, and I reduced that to post some of the others on Photobucket - you can really see the difference in the outlines. Unfortunately, that 'master copy' no longer exists, and I'm stuck using whatever bits and drabs I can find (of my own maps) on the internet.

So that one was just an earlier one (also still on PB) that I modified a tad, just as the OP did. Thats about the size of it.

The best I can do is THIS, to illustrate the Inner sea Region, which is all I would use (if I were to us this at all). The climates of the regions worked out rather well too, I just noticed. The Mwangi expanse is on the equator.
Dalor Darden Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 00:41:42
Hey MT...is there anyway to get a really high rez map of your last post?
Markustay Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 00:31:08
Don't know how I missed this thread the first time around, but I decided to go with the OP's idea and see how it would look if I added the entirety of the three continents that makeup the main campaign area of Golarion (really just two, but the third is connected to the first in a major way so I included it).

The Composite Map

Its interesting, but I'm not in love with it. I'd probably just use the Inner sea map and fudge the rest (which would be a much smaller add). I do like how it lined-up perfectly with the 'arm' of Kara-Tur, since the connection to 'the orient' via the northern icecap is part of Golarion canon. I also really like how the massive sea turned out between K-T and Golarion (great to revolve pirates campaign around). The scale is as close as I could get it on maps of this nature (so if someone were to actually use this, all Golarion, FR, Al-Qadim, Eberron, Greyhawk and yes, even Iron kingdoms maps are all at the correct scale and work perfectly).

This was more of a 'mental exercise' then anything else. I would never use this, personally (I'd merged them quite a different way).
IlexGarodan Posted - 21 Nov 2009 : 20:11:17
Thanks for your advice, all. I've decided to place Golarion on Osse, and place the landmass a little farther north.

Using MarkusTay's map, I've made an example of what my Toril now looks like. http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/ilexgarodan/TorilGolarion.jpg I've shown it to one of my players, and she likes it, so I doubt I'll have much trouble.
Cleric Generic Posted - 21 Nov 2009 : 11:43:46
*rummages about for it*

ooo, pretty...

Right, the easiest way I can think of is to stick it on Osse and shift it all up north a bit so it's in line with Faerun and Koryo. Flipping Golarion across the X or Y axis leads to a few more options, but may well be more fiddle than it's worth. I don't know anything about Anchorome, so I've no idea what you might be bulldozing by putting Golarion on it's west coast, but the map change could just be fobbed off as inaccurate maps to begin with.

Also, what about the midgit landmass just west of Anchorome, or the east coast of the Great Ice Sea (east of the Hordelands, assumes you don't have plans for the Ama Basin)?
Brimstone Posted - 21 Nov 2009 : 08:05:35
There should be a map of Golarion somewhere around here.

Cleric Generic Posted - 21 Nov 2009 : 07:40:40
Indeed. I was working on the assumption that Golarion (never seen it) is a different shape and size to the mystery Toril continents and therefore might want more than a name swap.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 21 Nov 2009 : 03:46:07
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

The simplest, if not the most elligant, method would be to spellplague nuke your least favourite continent off the map and shoehorn it in there much like Laerakond. This, of course, assumes you're running 4e, but if yo aren't you can just pretend the full world maps are grossly inaccurate or works of fancy, and still swap out one continent for the other.

OR you could use one of the NUMEROUS lands that are already there and simply make it so the locals call it Golarion while Faerūnians call it Osse or Anchorōmé or Aurune or Katashaka.
Cleric Generic Posted - 20 Nov 2009 : 21:52:58
The simplest, if not the most elligant, method would be to spellplague nuke your least favourite continent off the map and shoehorn it in there much like Laerakond. This, of course, assumes you're running 4e, but if yo aren't you can just pretend the full world maps are grossly inaccurate or works of fancy, and still swap out one continent for the other.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000