Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Pegasus Knight of Cormyr

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 02 Nov 2009 : 15:46:11
PEGASUS KNIGHT OF CORMYR

Entry Requirements
To qualify to become a Pegasus Knight of Cormyr, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Skills: Handle Animal 5 ranks, Knowledge (tactics) 3 ranks, Ride 8 ranks.
Feats: Leadership (or Negotiator), Mounted Combat, Weapon Focus (any one-handed weapon or lance).
Alignment: Lawful good, neutral good, or lawful neutral.
Special: The character must qualify to select regional feats from Cormyr (Cormyr is his home region, or he has 2 ranks in Knowledge [Cormyr local]).
Special: Must be a member of good standings within the Purple Dragons (though he does not have to have levels in Purple Dragon Knight prestige class).
Martial Maneuvers: Must know at least 2 martial maneuvers, including one strike.
Martial Stance: Must know at least one martial stance.

CLASS FEATURES
Hit Die: d10

Class Skills: (2 + Int. modifier per levl)- Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Cormyr local), Knowledge (tactics), Martial Lore, Ride, Search, Spot

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The pegasus knight of Cormyr is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons as well as all armor and shields (except tower shields).

Maneuvers: At each odd level, the pegasus knight of Cormyr gains a new maneuver known from the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, Iron Heart, or White Raven disciplines. He must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. A pegasus knight of Cormyr adds his full pegasus knight of Cormyr levels to his initiator level to determine his total initiator level, his highest-level maneuvers known, and for choosing a new maneuver in place of an existing one.
At 4th and 8th level, he gains an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances Known: At 5th level, a pegasus knight of Cormyr learns a new stance from the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon, Iron Heart, or White Raven disciplines. He must still meet a stance's prerequisites to learn it.

Pegasus Mount: At 1st level, the pegasus knight of Cormyr receives a trained pegasus to serve him in his defense of Cormyr. The mount remains with him until it is slain or dismissed. It requires food and rest, and he is responsible for tending to it's needs. When riding this mount, the knight gains a competence bonus on Ride checks equal to his class level.
If the mount dies, he can have it raised from the dead (at the normal cost) or obtain another mount. The knight can only obtain a replacement after living and meditating among the trained pegasi of the knights for one week.
A knight's pegasus mount gains 3 HD for every three class levels he gains beyond 1st (increasing to 7 HD at 4th level, to 10 HD at 7th level, and to 13 HD at 10th level). Each time it gains 3 Hit Die, it's natural armor bonus and Strength score each improve by 2 (in addition to the normal improvements gained with added Hit Dice, such as skill points, feats, and ability score improvements).
If the pegasus knight is a paladin, he may designate the pegasus as both his pegasus mount and special mount. In this case, the mount's abilities described under Paladin in Chapter 3: Characters of the Player's Handbook supersede those listed above, and the paladin adds his pegasus knight levels to his paladin levels to determine which abilities his pegasus mount gains.

Mounted Stance (Ex): While mounted, at 1st level a pegasus knight of Cormyr may transfer the benefits of his stance to that of his mount. The knight's mount is now considered the target of the stance and it's initiator level is equal to the knights. While this is in effect, the knight cannot initiate another stance.

Magical Defenses (Ex): A pegasus knight of Cormyr's training in resisting the deadly spells cast by the Shadovar and the Zhentarim manifests as a bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities for both him and his mount. This bonus is +1 starting at 1st level, and it increases to +2 at 4th, +3 at 7th, and +4 at 10th

Flying Feat (Ex): At 2nd, 5th, and 8th level the pegasus knight of Cormyr gains one of the following feats: Aerial Superiority, Diving Charge, Flyby Attack, Mounted Archery, Ride-By Attack, Spirited Charge, or Trample. The pegasus knight of Cormyr must meet all prerequisites for the feat before it can be selected. The Aerial Superiority, Diving Charge, and Flyby Attack feats can only be used in conjunction with a flying mount, not to the pegasus knight of Cormyr, and cannot be used if the pegasus knight of Cormyr is flying without a mount (such as with a fly spell).

Mounted Weapon Bonus (Ex): A pegasus knight of Cormyr gains a competence bonus on his attack rolls when using a one-handed weapon or lance. This bonus starts out at +1 at 2nd level and increases to +2 at 6th level, and +3 at 10th level.

Aerial Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, when a pegasus knight of Cormyr is airborne on his flying mount, both he and his mount gain the benefit of evasion. If exposed to any attack that normally allows a character to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, the character and his mount may attempt a single saving throw at the better of their two Reflex saving throw bonuses. If successful, both the pegasus knight and his mount take no damage. Aerial evasion can't be used if the pegasus is carrying a medium load.
At 8th level, the pegasus knight of Cormyr and his mount gain superior aerial evasion. This works like aerial evasion, except they take only half damage on a failed saving throw.

Mount's Maneuver (Ex): Once per encounter, at 5th level as a free action, a pegasus knight of Cormyr can grant his mount the ability to use one of his maneuvers. The knight must know the maneuver and have it readied (and granted if he is a crusader). Once the mount has received the maneuver, it must expend the maneuver before the beginning of it's next turn or the maneuver is considered used. The mount's initiator level is equal to that of the knight's.

Power Dive (Ex): At 6th level, a pegasus knight of Cormyr gains the ability to direct his mount to perform a power dive attack while he is riding it. The pegasus must begin its move at least 50 feet above it's target, and it uses the charge action to attack with both hooves simultaneously, making a single attack that deals 2d6 + (Strength bonus x 1 1/2) points of damage. The pegasus may fly past the target and alter course after it makes it's attack.

Full Mounted Attack (Ex): At 7th level and higher, a pegasus knight that is mounted can make a full attack when his mount moves more than 5 feet but no farther than a single move action would carry it. The pegasus knight cannot combine this full attack with a charge.

Strafing Run (Ex): At 9th level, a pegasus knight of Cormyr gains the ability to use the strafing maneuver. This ability must be done on a dive (beginning it's move 50 feet above it's target) and using the charge action. During a strafing run, the pegasus knight may initiate any strike maneuver he knows or a full-round attack in addition to his mount making a full-attack. The pegasus may fly past the target and alter course after both itself and it's rider make their attacks.

Lvl - BAB- FS - RS - WS - Knwn-Man - Readied - Stnc - Special
1st - +1 - +2 -  0 - +0 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Pegasus mount, mounted stance, mag. def +1
2nd - +2 - +3 -  0 - +0 -    +0    -   +0    -  +0  - Flying feat, mounted weapon bonus +1
3rd - +3 - +3 - +1 - +1 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Aerial Evasion
4th - +4 - +4 - +1 - +1 -    +0    -   +1    -  +0  - Magic defenses +2
5th - +5 - +4 - +1 - +1 -    +1    -   +0    -  +1  - Flying feat, mount's maneuver
6th - +6 - +5 - +2 - +2 -    +0    -   +0    -  +0  - Mounted weap bonus +2, power dive
7th - +7 - +5 - +2 - +2 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Full mounted atk, magic defense +3
8th - +8 - +6 - +2 - +2 -    +0    -   +1    -  +0  - Flyng feat
9th - +9 - +6 - +3 - +3 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Strafing Run, superior aerial evasion
10th- +10- +7 - +3 - +3 -    +0    -   +0    -  +0  - Magic defenses +4, mounted weap bonus +3

19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 19 Sep 2023 : 22:24:47
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

My bad. I just reread your maneuvers section and missed the clear and obvious.

Haha, no worries. We're both on the right path here. Really, what I should do is incorporate the Pathfinder supplement Path of War into this Prestige Class. That expanded on the Tome of Battle for Pathfinder (1st edition) and it's a pretty cool book.
Delnyn Posted - 19 Sep 2023 : 15:19:32
My bad. I just reread your maneuvers section and missed the clear and obvious.
Diffan Posted - 18 Sep 2023 : 11:19:39
quote:

Should we restrict disciplines to Devoted Spirit,Iron Heart and White Raven at least for advancement?
This class does not mesh with Setting Sun, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw.

The Pegasus Knight can only select from those you've stated, plus the Stone Dragon. If they want to branch out to other disciplines they'll need to use feats, multiclass, or go into a different PrC to get them.
Delnyn Posted - 17 Sep 2023 : 22:16:13
Should we restrict disciplines to Devoted Spirit,Iron Heart and White Raven at least for advancement?
This class does not mesh with Setting Sun, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw.
Diffan Posted - 19 Feb 2022 : 18:53:11
So rummaging around my 3.5 files, I came across a great supplement that I thought would work well here. From Mongoose Publishing supplement The Quintessential Paladin, there's a myriad of tools that the Pegasus Knights of Cormyr use in their efforts to keep the country safe. Among them are the following. As with any non-WotC material, always consult the DM before adding elements to your campaign/characters.

Weapons
Lance, barbed heavy; Sz: Medium; Damage: 1d8; Cost: 14 gp; Crit: 19-20/x3; 10-lbs; Piercing damage
Lance, dire; Sz; Large; Damage: 2d6; Cost: 20 gp; Crit: x3; 15-lbs; Piering
- Being large, it requires the use of two hands, making riding with one more difficult. It has a 15-ft. reach, but cannot be used to attack foes closer than that.
Sword pommel, holy; 25 gp.
- Used to decorate the end of weapons such as swords, axes, and maces, these act as holy symbols when used by knights, paladins, and clerics when employing spells or turning the undead.
Sword pommel, ornage; 100 gp.
- Used to mark the owners' lineage with the crest or seal of their respective nobility or rank within the Purple Dragon Knights, it often can count as a badge of office when one is not otherwise present. To hold such as weapon bearing the pommel and not have the authority to do so results in instant imprisonment, fines, or worse if convicted as impersonating an official of the Crown.

Armour
Tabard, padded: 15 gp; Armour Bonus: +1; Max Dex. Penalty -; Armour Check Penalty: -1; Arcane Spell Failure: +5%
- This fabric is often labeled with the crest of heraldry or office of rank within the Purple Dragons or Pegasus Knights of Cormyr.
Tabard, Chain: 55 gp; Armour Bonus: +2; Max Dex. Penalty -1; Armour Check Penalty: -1; Arcane Spell Failure: +5%
- Similar to a padded tabard, this is more protective however cannot be worn over heavy armour. This is often used by more faster moving mounts and scouts over Scale, Chainmail, or under a breastplate.
Diffan Posted - 11 Feb 2022 : 13:41:39
quote:

At least in your campaign, does advancement in the Pegasus knight class impact rank/affiliation in the ranks of the Purple dragons?

You know, now that you mention it I wrote the Purple Dragon Knights organization system before I did the Prestige Class. In short, yes. If you had levels in the Pegasus Knight of Cormyr and became a member of the Purple Dragon Knights (or vice versa) then it would act just like having ranks of the Purple Dragon Knight PrC (and stack with it as well). In my campaign, the creator - Sir Ivan Brightflame - has the title of Battlemaster and that was in part due to his creation of the Pegasus Knights as well as having levels in it. It would fall into the Multiple Use category of the chart.

This is assuming you're using the Purple Dragon Knight Organization. If not, then I'd still say it would apply just like any other branch of the Cormyrean military in regards to rank.
Delnyn Posted - 07 Feb 2022 : 03:30:59
At least in your campaign, does advancement in the Pegasus knight class impact rank/affiliation in the ranks of the Purple dragons?
Diffan Posted - 27 Sep 2021 : 17:47:25
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I think they would work well as patrols in the mountains, and as guards near caravan routs and important passes. The heavily armoured ground forces would be at a disadvantage in such terrain.

That was my thoughts exactly. And Pegasus knights who are higher in rank of service would probably receive special armor (i'm thinking mithral chainmail) to make their mount's load lighter but provide better protection.

As long as it is not storm armor. My first concern was the class being a clone of the Flying Hunt Knights of Nimbral.
Do you expect many run-ins with Zhentarim skymages?

Oh absolutely!! The write-up I did was created specifically to combat those who would attempt to dominate the skies: prominently Dragons, Zhents, and Shades. Since Sir Ivan was there battling Scyllua, he immediately got the idea that this should definitely be a thing in their military.

After returning the Warblade of the Elven People to Fflar Starbrow and the Coronal Miritar, he used this as an offering of Peace, Diplomacy, and a union to the Elven people of Cormanthyr and Cormyr. In exchange, he was gifted with over a dozen Pegasus from the elven community to help build up this division.
Delnyn Posted - 06 Sep 2021 : 18:12:13
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

I think they would work well as patrols in the mountains, and as guards near caravan routs and important passes. The heavily armoured ground forces would be at a disadvantage in such terrain.

That was my thoughts exactly. And Pegasus knights who are higher in rank of service would probably receive special armor (i'm thinking mithral chainmail) to make their mount's load lighter but provide better protection.

As long as it is not storm armor. My first concern was the class being a clone of the Flying Hunt Knights of Nimbral.
Do you expect many run-ins with Zhentarim skymages?
Diffan Posted - 13 Nov 2009 : 17:23:01
quote:

Jorkens Posted - 10 Nov 2009 : 10:01:57
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

Cormyr doesn't stríke me as a country fond of light skirmish units ... Pegasuses (and all other fliers) can only fly while in light load and that rules out heavy armor, making them somewhat squshy, if you can get damage to get there ... hence they'll be relatively easy to pick down by ranged weapons

scererar Posted - 08 Nov 2009 : 15:39:41
I could see them working great. My initial thoughts would be to use these knights as a sort of scout type of unit. Maybe in the mountainous regions surrounding the realm or in the stone lands. Assign a few war wizards for good measure and you could have light units of these elite knights be very effective.
Sian Posted - 08 Nov 2009 : 09:30:13
Cormyr doesn't stríke me as a country fond of light skirmish units ... Pegasuses (and all other fliers) can only fly while in light load and that rules out heavy armor, making them somewhat squshy, if you can get damage to get there ... hence they'll be relatively easy to pick down by ranged weapons
Diffan Posted - 04 Nov 2009 : 18:46:08
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

i think you should rethink the demand for Martial Maneuvers and Stances ... makes so the only classes that can take it is from 9swords

Well, any class can take martial study and martial stance feats but I could reduce the prerequisite number of maneuvers known to 2 (including 1 strike).

I added in the requirements from the Book of 9 swords because I really enjoyed the supplement and believe it really adds flavor and an usefulness to martial classes. But, those requirements could easily be removed in addition to the Mounted Stance and Mounts Maneuver abilities and it still works out pretty well.

Also, I've always loved the idea of flying calvary and never understood why such a stong and vast nation such as Cormyr never had anything like this before.
Sian Posted - 04 Nov 2009 : 18:19:53
i think you should rethink the demand for Martial Maneuvers and Stances ... makes so the only classes that can take it is from 9swords
Diffan Posted - 04 Nov 2009 : 15:22:22
quote:
Originally posted by Hellkeepa

HELLo!

Looks to be a very balanced PrC, the only doubt I have is the saves. With the bonuses and Evasion, they might become just a bit too high compared to other builds.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I figured it might be a bit excessive with 2 good saving throws so I might reduce the Will save to match the Reflex save.

quote:
Originally posted by Hellkeepa

Tips: Use the [code][/code] tags to create a table that retains the formatting. ;-)

Happy playin'!

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty used to the WotC forums that use code and what-not but I wasn't too sure about here at CK. I'll keep that in mind for other posts. Thanks for the table too!
Hellkeepa Posted - 04 Nov 2009 : 14:38:42
HELLo!

Looks to be a very balanced PrC, the only doubt I have is the saves. With the bonuses and Evasion, they might become just a bit too high compared to other builds.

Fixed the table for you too:
Lvl - BAB- FS - RS - WS - Knwn-Man - Readied - Stnc - Special
1st - +1 - +2 -  0 - +2 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Pegasus mount, mounted stance, mag. def +1
2nd - +2 - +3 -  0 - +3 -    +0    -   +0    -  +0  - Flying feat, mounted weapon bonus +1
3rd - +3 - +3 - +1 - +3 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Aerial Evasion
4th - +4 - +4 - +1 - +4 -    +0    -   +1    -  +0  - Magic defenses +2
5th - +5 - +4 - +1 - +4 -    +1    -   +0    -  +1  - Flying feat, mount's maneuver
6th - +6 - +5 - +2 - +5 -    +0    -   +0    -  +0  - Mounted weap bonus +2, power dive
7th - +7 - +5 - +2 - +5 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Full mounted atk, magic defense +3
8th - +8 - +6 - +2 - +6 -    +0    -   +1    -  +0  - Flyng feat
9th - +9 - +6 - +3 - +6 -    +1    -   +0    -  +0  - Strafing Run, superior aerial evasion
10th- +10- +7 - +3 - +7 -    +0    -   +0    -  +0  - Magic defenses +4, mounted weap bonus +3

Tips: Use the [code][/code] tags to create a table that retains the formatting. ;-)

Happy playin'!
Diffan Posted - 02 Nov 2009 : 21:52:37
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan Special: Must be a member of good standings within the Purple Dragons (though he does not have to have levels in Purple Dragon Knight prestige class).

Though it would make for a fun multi-class

Aye, that it would and it's something my character (a reason I created this PrC to begin with) has levels in actually. Though I didn't want to make the requirements too strict.
Alisttair Posted - 02 Nov 2009 : 18:37:12
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan Special: Must be a member of good standings within the Purple Dragons (though he does not have to have levels in Purple Dragon Knight prestige class).

Though it would make for a fun multi-class

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000