Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 NWN v BG2

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Feawen Posted - 18 Jan 2004 : 13:30:59
Which did you guys like better? and why?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lemernis Posted - 10 Sep 2004 : 04:48:46
Pardon the shameless plug here, but with NwN you cannot compare the official campaign, or the far superior expansions, with the persistent worlds that have emerged within the NwN community. Once you get a taste of this kind of gaming it's tough to return to any sort of single player gaming, not matter how good it is. At ALFA http://www.alandfaraway.org/ we have a living Faerun (well, a sizeable chunk of it anyway, with 13 live servers and 13 beta servers; and it's still growing after two years) inhabited by over 600 devoted roleplayers and 84 DMs. This gameworld offers DMed sessions, static quests, and monster hunting galore. We have slowly but surely bent the engine to our will and scripted the bejeezus out of the AI. It just doesn't compare with any sort of SP fare. DMs and their server teams are dedicated to bringing the canon literature of Faerun to life in this gameworld.

Myself I was a huge fan of the original Baldur's Gate/ToSC, and preferred it to BG2. But in any event I don't think I could enjoy playing a CRPG anymore if it didn't include playing with DMs and other players, and being able to explore all of Faerun.

Bioware has unlocked the camera and added skies in NwN. The custom content community of NwN has produced a wealth of scripts, tilesets, new creatures, plceables, etc. And word is now that NwN2 will continue building on the same engine and keep the DM Client. There is even a good chance that content from NwN will be importable to NwN2. This is fantastic news to the persistent world communities.

Thelonius Posted - 04 Sep 2004 : 10:52:37
There are many differences between both. First i must recognize that nwn disappointed me a little, i expected more of that game. I really prefer BG2. Why? 'Cause in BG2 the story is larger an more complicated, the interaction between the group members is a really interesting change of the typical member who accepts your actions without reply. Second, i prefer a large group where the skills can cover the weakness of other members but in NWN, if you're a wizard, you must choose a fighter (I choose Gaelan), so what about the healer, I had to activate all the traps in the game, AND DIE MANY TIMES FOR THIS. And finally and most important, it's ridiculous to be in only one city at the same time, if you're in neverwinter, you can't get out, if you're in luskan the same, what happened with those travels, through all the region? With the posibilities of take a house as a stronghold, to keep all the stuff you've found? And for finishing, I hate the dragons in NWN, i remember Firkraag, enormous, or Adalon, here the dragons are as overdimensioned lizard.

But i must recognize that the graphics are quite impressive, the temple where you can travel through time it's marvelous, and the speechcraft situation, where you can trick the other people, or taunt them is the thing i missed in all bg saga as other skills as listen, more proficiencies, if the skills of NWN were in Bg saga it would be perfect, as simple as that.

P.D. Have you tryed to create a player with less than 10 in intelligence it's funny.
Lina Posted - 04 Sep 2004 : 09:23:07
I don't really have a preference of either games.

So here what I think of...

NWN
- Likes: use of rotating camera angles, 3D graphics, easy to use controls and playability
- Dislikes: when the enemy outnumbers you, turnbased combat action, the bugs, straightforward storyline, repetitive quests

BG2
- Likes: good storyline with lots of extras, the idle banter between your players during gameplay (most of you would consider this annoying), detailed maps, non-linear storylines
-Dislikes: the group co-ordination during fights (have to use the pause/unpause button a lot to keep my arse from getting kicked), the bugs, inability to see behind or through objects/buildings when your player moves behind them
Sylinde Posted - 04 Sep 2004 : 05:52:06
Well I am playing BG2 now. I enjoy it greatly. Yes Minsc is very funny. But my heart belongs to NWN.

quote:
3. Valen Shadowbreath in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion.

Oh, Valen is really something. I love this guy!!! And little Deekin is awesome too. Dragon-winged kobold, lol!

love,
Sylinde

jameslt0 Posted - 03 Sep 2004 : 03:07:33
For anyone that wants to improve their NWN experience, go to:

http://nwnprc.netgamers.co.uk/index1.html

It is link to Player Resource Consortium (PRC). The PRC adds almost 50 new prestige classes, new spells and feats. It has self installer for Windows. After you install, just use the Module updater to add the PRC content to any module you wish. It is good idea to make backup of all modules 1st, however. That is in case you wish to remove PRC Pack.

James
Canyia Posted - 10 Aug 2004 : 08:42:28
The only thing I really liked about NWN is character customization and 3e rules. That's about all I think NWN has on BG2. Maybe it would have graphics over BG2 if the 3D just didn't suck so bad. It's horribel . .it just . . oh I can't even find words for it. NwN is also missing one of my favourite things . . .Minsc. I miss Minsc damnit, he made me laugh. I actually miss my whole party actually. The lousy henchman you get in NWN suck. I also liked being able to control my party in Bg2. The story in NWN sucks . . .I kinda almost forgot there was one, actually.

Overall I LOVE Bg2. NWN is okay. I wouldn't buy it myself but if someone got me it as a birthday present I'd play it. But no one even remembers my birthday let alone buys me a present so I've just been playing it on my fiances computer
Kaervok Posted - 12 Feb 2004 : 21:09:39
I liked em both, for diff parts. BG series def had better plot. I really loved the Char. customization in NWN though, and the freedom of class picking, an orcen wizard, lol. with wings, and a robe, and a greatsword. (NOt that I did that, but you can!!)
Winterfox Posted - 10 Feb 2004 : 10:19:49
ToEE is set in Greyhawk. Not FR stuff, but D&D. Feel free to disregard the fact that I think ToEE is a waste of manufacture and is one big, sticky bug all by itself. But at least it probably won't make you format your hard drive by accident!

Pool of Radiance 2: Ruins of Myth Drannor. FR, D&D, 3E, even. Disregard the negative reviews and the fact that careless uninstalling may format your hard drive. I played the demo and the experience still traumatizes to this day. There's bad, and there's bad.

Seriously, the CRPG market hasn't offered anything worthwhile for a long time (aside from the obvious KotOR and such). If you aren't averse to non-FR stuff, I suggest that you look farther afield. Divine Divinity is a fun, if formulaic, predictable romp -- has some good dialogue and humor, though its combat is a Diablo clone. Or, hey, diversify! There are some action/adventure or adventure games with good plots.

D&D CRPGs ain't in their Golden Age anymore. (Were they ever, anyway...?)
EcThelion Posted - 10 Feb 2004 : 10:06:22
One of the lame things about NwN was that you only *can* controll one character. You "liked" that? You can complete BG2 with one character, too.
Kaervok Posted - 10 Feb 2004 : 01:59:24
Ahh, sorry WinterFox, I apologize with greatest dues. But Alas, the part you said is true that most inns look the same. Yes, I really wish the could go all out with new tilesets. The do have amazing ones now. The story is greatly improved in HotU but nothing else. The plot for BG series is amazing. YOUR THE CHILD OF A GOD!! A GOD OF KILING!! And the items always had that really mystical and ancient unique feeling to them, oooh, staff of the magi!! And it was very challenging. But I really liked only having to control one person in NWN though. I will say the graphics are good, but for RP games, as long as I can tell whats going on, Im fine, but the better the graps, the more I like it. I'm hoping that maybe on D&D online they will make each city unique but then again, you have to pay to play online!?!? Give me a break. Last thing I need to do is pay to play my own freaggin game... But I really love anything Forgotten realms and I will continue to buy any product I can that relates to Faerun in some way. -
ps, anyone know of any other good rpg games ( other than the obvious ones, IWD, BG, NWN, PS-T) that are really close to or are related to faerun??
Signal-9 Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 23:54:04
I played BG2 before the 3rd editions were out and I loved BG2... but then I got NWN, the 3rd edition rules rock. But here is how I compare the two games:

Storyline: BG2
Toolset: NWN
Character customization: NWN
Gameplay: BG2
AI Scripts: BG2
NPC's: BG2
Multiplayer: NWN
Artifacts: BG2

So over all thats my comparison, BG2 takes the cake. But from a Developer standpoint (I have done DirectX programming in C++) I would vote for NWN.
jebeddo Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 22:47:07

I think that they both are excellent, though I like NWN better because it has 3rd edition rules, but BG2 has WISH!!!! I LOVE WISH!!!!
EcThelion Posted - 09 Feb 2004 : 09:42:00
While BG2 is renowned for it's interesting NPCs!
Winterfox Posted - 08 Feb 2004 : 08:37:48
quote:
We hate to say it but you all sound like a bunch of young'uns bickering over graphics and such, reminds us of our cousin.... always thinking that the greater the graphics the better the game. Graphics do not a game make. Graphics should be last in line, it's plot.

I've said several times that NWN's graphics aren't its only problem; it's one of the many. Morrowind, for instance, has great landscape/exterior graphics, but its gameplay is hit-or-miss; the NPCs have no personality; all dialogue is pretty much the same.
The Cardinal Posted - 08 Feb 2004 : 01:01:01
We hate to say it but you all sound like a bunch of young'uns bickering over graphics and such, reminds us of our cousin.... always thinking that the greater the graphics the better the game. Graphics do not a game make. Graphics should be last in line, it's plot. So in that contest BG2 wins hands down. Although, there is a sense of customizing that we like within NWN (only with the EXPs however, stand alone... it just don't cut the mustard, not enough options... and not as open as KotOR. A pity really).

As for Carth.... wes hated him. His whining, his endless drivel.... True he was right about us... but he made us turn
EcThelion Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 23:36:46
quote:
OK, somewhere winterwolf said NWN graphics were blocky? Im not sure, what video card are you using? THe graphics can be absolutely fabulous. YOu must be running NWN on a crap computer. And Also, I loved the fantasy look of Baldurs gate. It was very realistic to me and I loved all the spell effects. ToB was even better.

The NwN grapichs are absoluately horrendos. Seriously. 3D's not close to advanced enough to make the leap into AD&D yet. If I had the coice of having a 2D game, with the right feel, or a 3D game, with crappy atmosphere I'd pick the 2D anytime. If I wanted a game with grapichs I'd go play First-Person Shooters, not AD&D.

My Computer can run NwN on Maximum and laugh at it. It even runs that freaky Helicopter-game on Max! (Firebrand, or whatever. It's bloody insane)

But, as I said, I'm not really interested in grapichs, I'm into Gameplay. And NwN simply didn't cut it. And no top of that it was made-up to be sometihng it was not. That just annoys me.

And I got the latest patches, thank you very much. Not that their needed, though. You can get way metter Camera Controll with stuff from NWVault.

quote:
Personally I think Neverwinter Nights is way better than BG2 for several reasons;

1. More humour. Everyone is so damn serious in the Baulder's Gate series.

I must second that. And my list of people that are too serious count Minsc and Jan, as very prominant members. Also most dialouge choices were, like, waaaaaaay too serious. This game is, like, that party-pooper-game of the milennia. And that's saying alot.

quote:
2. Three dimensions. 'Nuff said.

See above. 'Nuff said.

BG ownz NwN any day. And it was a SEQUEL! BG1 ownz u all.
Winterfox Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 05:05:48
quote:
Originally posted by Kaervok

OK, somewhere winterwolf said NWN graphics were blocky? Im not sure, what video card are you using? THe graphics can be absolutely fabulous. YOu must be running NWN on a crap computer. And Also, I loved the fantasy look of Baldurs gate. It was very realistic to me and I loved all the spell effects. ToB was even better.

It's Winterfox, sir, not wolf.

P4, 2.8c, 512 DDR RAM, GeForce FX 5900 128 MB, hon. Not uber, but hardly crappy. I can run KotOR with 8x anti-aliasing, 8x anitrosopic, with shadows, frame buffer, and basically every graphical option turned to maximum, and it will still run like silk. Believe me, KotOR is a lot more demanding on the system than NWN. Oh, my system can also likewise run Morrowind with graphical options turned to maximum, suffer no lag, and still has fast loading time.

NWN graphics, especially without HotU, are blocky and repetitive compared to the graphics of other 3D games. I'm comparing it to KotOR (uber melee combat animation!), Morrowind (whose character models are ugly, but the landscape is great. Each city actually looks, dare I say, unique), or Lineage II (whose graphics made my jaw drop the first time I saw it. Has some clipping problem, but still). HotU helps a lot with the sky and robes, but tilesets are tilesets. It takes a talented modder to make an inn look very different from the next inn, and there's only so much you can do with placeables and lighting. (Of course I've played some excellent mods, many of which are vastly superior to the official campaigns. Excuse me while I go back to drool over Elegia Eternum and Excrucio Eternum.)
Kaervok Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 01:16:12

Ezindir the dark Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 14:30:08
quote:
Originally posted by Anatares Fae Melanelye

Personally I think Neverwinter Nights is way better than BG2 for several reasons;

^-^

How can you say that?
I'l just have too say: Jan. He are hilarius, and a lot of loonies, the character conversations are funny too and the quest in the dragon's(oh whats his name, abzigal!?)lair, where tre adventures acctally attack you and reload since you slay them. I almost laughted to death.
Winterfox Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 04:31:30
quote:
Originally posted by Anatares Fae Melanelye

Dungeon Siege has better 3D graphics. Ditto for Morrowind. Ditto for KotOR.

quote:
3. Valen Shadowbreath in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion. *drool*

^-^

You mean Carth the Second?

Carth Onasi: Blah blah I don't trust you blah blah I'll keep an eye on you blah blah you might betray the Republic blah blah.

Valen: Blah blah I don't trust you blah blah I'll keep an eye on you blah blah you might betray the Seer blah blah.

Now, I understand that Mr. Gaider wrote both romances, but really, there's surely a limit to how much one can plagiarize oneself. There was Aribeth/Bastila similarities, and now Carth/Valen. Come on! (Except, of course, that Bastila is a much better character than Aribeth, and Carth appeals to me more than Valen.)

Kaervok said:

quote:
Alas, I LOVE THE NWN GRAPHICS, and there is a lot of camera freedom....what are you talking about?? Just get the newest patch and you can go virtualy anywhere, and wtf, there was no camera control in BG games or IWD games, it stayed at that slanted position al the time.... you really must update and check out these things.

Oh, please, now this is unreasonable. The Infinity Engine games predate NWN, so of course they were less advanced graphically. The difference is that the IE games' isometric graphics are great for what they are -- whereas NWN's blocky graphics fail to compete with other 3D graphics. It's not a judging point for a RPG, but it adds to the long list of flaws.
Kaervok Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 01:23:48
quote:
Originally posted by EcThelion

My poinion presicely. The only thing that makes NwN worth buying is the Toolset, and the fact that it is, after all, set in Faerūn. No matter how horrid the gameplay... I liek to keep a full collection

What in the world, CHROMATIC ORB WAS THE BEST SPELL I HAVE EVER SEEN. It improved with every level and could stun and bline and also have a chance of parilization and EVEN DEATH. I have instantly killed a few people with it. Also there was no casting time. I think csting time needs to be reintroduced though to make it realistic. It takes the same amount of time to cast a spell to make meteors come down from the sky as to just make a light appear. But Also I will buy anything in the Faerun collection because I am an avid participant in the realms and hold it as a reminder to me during my days, specially days of boredom. If anyone doesn't have it, get the Forgotten Realms Manual for DnD, its got lots of great stuff in it. Alas, I LOVE THE NWN GRAPHICS, and there is a lot of camera freedom....what are you talking about?? Just get the newest patch and you can go virtualy anywhere, and wtf, there was no camera control in BG games or IWD games, it stayed at that slanted position al the time.... you really must update and check out these things. ALSO, I readily agree with you that many things were out of proportion, Luskan, Omg, like my backyard. Yes, WAYYYYY TO SMALL and way to much of nothing happening and no plot in Luskan. It really was undermining to Faerun. Yes, I love that Epic feeling that Baldurs gate gave us, it sent chills up my spine and especially the music. But WIth Hordes, the plot was fuc999 awsome and the music greatly improved. I really like though how they built some legends into the story. But baldurs gate, I can only hope oneday another game like it set in Faerun will be made by some smart developers, Ill never forget it. And I take it we are all into Faerun? THe greatest fantasy world I have ever laid eyes on.. Yes... Ok ok, tooo long of a post, Kaer.
Anatares Fae Melanelye Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 17:58:02

3. Valen Shadowbreath in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion. *drool*

^-^
EcThelion Posted - 24 Jan 2004 : 16:35:58
My poinion presicely. The only thing that makes NwN worth buying is the Toolset, and the fact that it is, after all, set in Faerūn. No matter how horrid the gameplay... I liek to keep a full collection
Winterfox Posted - 24 Jan 2004 : 09:34:37
With Hordes of the Underdark, NWN is greatly improved. But it still doesn't hold a candle to BG2, by itself. Face it: NWN relies heavily on the community. Without the toolset, it'd be another average-to-mediocre RPG. The first official campaign was simply godawful (AI that'll kill you more than the enemies, uninspired story, unspired characters, repetitive quests); SoU was better, but barely, and the story was still dull. HotU is a quantum leap, but the story still feels disjointed and, IMO, underwhelming. First chapter: dungeon crawl. Second chapter: dungeon crawl. Third chapter: a series of weird and weider puzzles. The NPC interactions and good writing save it, but still. And Valen Shadowbreath? Carth the Second, anyone? (KotOR reference.) *bangs head against desk*

The graphics are nothing to write home about, though that is again improved in HotU. But there's something really wrong when Luskan and Neverwinter look the same (as they use the same city exterior tileset).
Shadowlord Posted - 19 Jan 2004 : 21:57:30
I have that hak, its quite useful and even makes your characters look cool....
Ezindir the dark Posted - 19 Jan 2004 : 21:52:44
Heres the link anyway: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/index_editors.ht
It is named charackter creator and is the second hak from the top, in case someone else wanted it. ENJOY!!
Shadowlord Posted - 19 Jan 2004 : 21:50:29
Meditation, hmm, what are you, a monk, or a cleric?
EcThelion Posted - 19 Jan 2004 : 21:48:34
Ah, yes. I know of that place. I shall seek it out when I have a chance... as a matter of fact I shall have to resign to my quarters now. For a small period of meditation. But fear not! I shall return within the hour!
Ezindir the dark Posted - 19 Jan 2004 : 19:12:33
On a place called sorceres place. If you wait for a while I will post It right here.
If you dont wont to wait just shearch for sorceres place and I am sure you will find it.
EcThelion Posted - 19 Jan 2004 : 18:09:54
Where is this Character Editor? I'd like to see it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000