Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 gods

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RaVeN1463 Posted - 23 Jan 2004 : 01:36:55
Id like to know who all the gods are and what they rule. If anyone has the time to post them. Or just drop a link in the post to a site that has good info about them.

thanks in advance
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DDH_101 Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 18:28:43
Actually, I think Lloth's power over the drow might diminish a bit. I'm not saying her godly powers, just her dominance over the drow race as the main god. After Lloth's silence, other drow gods such as Vhaerun and Kiralansee might gain more followers and power.
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 15:00:04
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Sirius, I don't think anything is going to happen to Bane. In fact, I don't think there's going to be much about gods in the near future because I've read that Ed Greenwood and the others aren't going to make another Times of Trouble and don't even want to mess around with the gods' portfolios. They think that it's good and balanced just as it is right now.

Oh I agree and apologize if the facetious comment was taken seriously. If I recall Ed Greenwood wasn't a fan of the Time of Troubles. Didn't it never happen in his own campaign?

Good and balanced now as it is? There goes my hope that the Spider Queen might diminish a bit in power at the WOTSQ conclusion.
DDH_101 Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 05:37:40
Sirius, I don't think anything is going to happen to Bane. In fact, I don't think there's going to be much about gods in the near future because I've read that Ed Greenwood and the others aren't going to make another Times of Trouble and don't even want to mess around with the gods' portfolios. They think that it's good and balanced just as it is right now.
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 04:22:00
quote:
Originally posted by Cherrn

Yes he should. As much as I like Bane it does seem a lot like Bane was brought back due to popular demand. Kind of sad really. They didn't bring Chewbacca back when he was killed during the Star Wars storyline did they ?

Well given Lucas' revisionist policy towards creative works, I'm sure he will be back in some shape or form sometime in the future.

As for Bane, I think it's a combination of demand for him to return coupled with a new edition was coming out. That god is unique: killed during the Time of Troubles which was the big FR 2E Mega-Event for the new version, and then he returned as one of the big FR 3E Events for the new version. If I was Bane and I heard that 4E was on the horizon, I'd update my life insurance policy.
The Sage Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 03:14:17
As far as I know, the jury's still out on the ol' 'Chewbacca - Return from the Dead' debate, Cherrn...
Cherrn Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 02:33:43
Yes he should. As much as I like Bane it does seem a lot like Bane was brought back due to popular demand. Kind of sad really. They didn't bring Chewbacca back when he was killed during the Star Wars storyline did they ?
Darth KTrava Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 02:25:12
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Lord
All of you out there listen to my chant. Know that Bane was, and that Bane always will be. There is still time for all of you mislead. Hear my calling: Serve no one but Bane!

Bane? Isn't he dead How can anyone who died be that important

And he shoulda stayed dead!
The Sage Posted - 06 Mar 2004 : 01:09:18
Myrkul never left my FR campaign. Instead, among the several changes that I brought about with the end of the Time of Troubles , I saw to it that instead of Myrkul ceasing to exist, I decided to reduce him in power to a 'Lesser' deity status, with control of the portfolios of undead and the 'death' of undead evil creatures.
DDH_101 Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 23:13:18
I don't think Myrkul will return. After all, it's said that he enjoys being in the crown more than as a deity. Also, I don't think Kelemvor would even allow Myrkul to fight for the position as the Lord of the Dead.
Cherrn Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 21:13:06
And they need to remove that idiot Velsharoon. He serves no purpose whatsoever. Intelligent undead pah! If I was an intelligent undead I wouldn't worship any gods at all cos then I would end up living forever and I wouldn't have to fear that blasted wall in the City of Dead. Velsharoon pah! Pah I say!
Dark_Lord Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 20:43:37
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Now I think all we need is for Myrkul to come out of that crown and take the portfolio of evil death and undead creatures.

Bane be praised, one day, that will happen too.
Bookwyrm Posted - 05 Mar 2004 : 17:38:29
Now I think all we need is for Myrkul to come out of that crown and take the portfolio of evil death and undead creatures.
Dark_Lord Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 12:44:41
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

On midwinter night of 1372 DR, Xvim burst in a conflagration of diabolical green light. From the smoking husk of his remains emerged a newly reinvigorated Bane, his right hand ablaze with green fire. Xvim, it appeared, had been little more than a sentient cocoon for the foresighted god, Lord Bane.

Wow, it's almost as if that was timed to happen just as a gaming company was releasing a new edition of a product.

Well... Noone is perfect.
Dark_Lord Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 12:43:38
quote:
Originally posted by Cherrn

And Bane didn't take everything back. Cyric still holds the Strife portfolio.

Stupid WotC They've just ruined my concept. Nonetheless, Bane is the greatest!
SiriusBlack Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 04:24:18
quote:

On midwinter night of 1372 DR, Xvim burst in a conflagration of diabolical green light. From the smoking husk of his remains emerged a newly reinvigorated Bane, his right hand ablaze with green fire. Xvim, it appeared, had been little more than a sentient cocoon for the foresighted god, Lord Bane.

Wow, it's almost as if that was timed to happen just as a gaming company was releasing a new edition of a product.
Cherrn Posted - 04 Mar 2004 : 02:03:18
That was an error in the book DDH_101. Wizards corrected that in their errata for the FRCS. It can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/frcserrata.zip

Read page 3 and it says:

P. 235, Bane's Portfolio
Cut "Strife" and capitalize "Hatred"

P. 235, Cyric's Portfolio
Add "Strife"

And finally:

P. 239, Add "Strife: to Cyric's portfolio

So Cyric now correctly holds the portfolio of Strife.

(edit cos of the info I found)
DDH_101 Posted - 03 Mar 2004 : 23:46:14
Cherrn, Bane has the portfolio of Strife. That's why their Banites who are in a prestige class called Strifeleaders.
Cherrn Posted - 03 Mar 2004 : 22:19:08
And Bane didn't take everything back. Cyric still holds the Strife portfolio.
Dark_Lord Posted - 03 Mar 2004 : 20:20:21
SiriusBlack Posted - 03 Mar 2004 : 15:29:12
quote:
All of you out there listen to my chant. Know that Bane was, and that Bane always will be. There is still time for all of you mislead. Hear my calling: Serve no one but Bane!

Bane? Isn't he dead How can anyone who died be that important
Dark_Lord Posted - 03 Mar 2004 : 14:11:45
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

By the way Cyric did attack Mystra with out magic and cut of her fingers so in your face Cyric is always better and you all know it.
And Cyric is way more powerful then Mystra she just a weak puney girl. And Shar could do that then it would go from esaey to kill her to very eseay.
And he has not lesser power and we are not talking about mouch power he lost, Cyric always win. And Bane did not really take power Cyric gave the lesser things he did not want

What? How dare you punny heretic? I can't sustain myself, I must laugh! Let me remind you that your weakling patron actually stole portfolios of three mighty gods when there was no one else to take’em instead of him. He was probably the best option for the sake of Faerun at the time. HA! Let me remind you also, that Lord Bane retreived all of his stolen portfolios when He returned. He was even granted a new one. He took lost portfolio of Fear! Remind me, heretic, where was your almighty Cyric when Bane returned to reclame his powers. What happened to your great god? Where was he hiding? Why was he not there to stop him? He was probably busy with self-destruction and rallying his ever-moronic followers to act. Let me remind your washed out brain, heretic, that your flawless Cyric was defeated a thousand times, and that he is constantly loosing power. One called Fzoul Chembryl, also known as Chosen of Bane, humiliated your “intelligent” god so utterly that great halls of the Black Gauntlet still echo with laughter of Banities. And what about the destruction of Zhentil Keep? Just don’t tell me that your master-minded deity wanted it to happen? That fool read Cyrinishad knowing that it would bring him disaster! Face it heretic. During the period of consolidation, even the forces of Black Network, realized that Cyric was no Bane. Whereas Bane was an experienced, wily, patient sort, Cyric was a fool, a hot-headed recent mortal who still retained his mortal perspectives. Cyric was a bane on Zhentil Keep and you know it! I wonder what will happen now when we control that mighty organization? It is only a matter of time heretic. Church of Bane will wreack havoc upon Cyric’s disorganized following. I spit in the face of your little deity, and you know why? Because Bane is my patron. When Chembryl was able to trick Cyric, I just wonder what will happen when Bane confronts him…

RaVeN1463 Posted - 01 Mar 2004 : 23:19:16
Hopefully that wont be too long.
The Cardinal Posted - 20 Feb 2004 : 04:52:47
Alas, Cyric is worthy of keeping though... (aleast until one deity claims the actual portfolio of Maddness, then Cyric is toast) after all, what better being to keep order and balance than Cyric. Cyricists may be a great threat to Faerun... but Cyric is an indispensable part of it.... until someone better comes along...
Shadowlord Posted - 19 Feb 2004 : 06:18:10
Bah! For the last time, Xvim is gone! He was instrumental in the return of Bane, but that was all. He merely existed to provide The Black Lord with a way to avoid death. Hey, I don't side with Bane, (I'm a Vhaeraunite) I am merely getting the facts straight.
Darth KTrava Posted - 19 Feb 2004 : 05:07:12
quote:
Originally posted by EcThelion

Mystra, Kelemvor, Oghma, Azuth, Mask, Tyr, Torm, Deneir, Leira, Iyachtu Xvim, and all the others should just gang-up on him, and destroy him.

Cyric is a raving lunatic, and needs to be put down for the good of everybody else. Then again, what would the world be without raving lunatics that crusade around, and kill people seemingly out random? It would be a pretty booring place, I tell you!

Then again, we do still have the monsters.

I'll go along with that!!! Cyric will not be able to withstand ALL of us at once! His "powers" are waaay too puny to be a match for the side of righteousness!!

Darth KTrava Posted - 19 Feb 2004 : 04:58:19
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

yes sweet is parhaps not the right the right, mad with blodlust is more right but he was alright. And Cyric is one of the gods is he not and now you know about him.
And Cyric is always better.

Sounds like Cyric needs to switch to decaf.....

Cyric Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 18:13:49
any way they are cowards...
lowtech Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 17:19:28
I think you guys have much too narrow an interpretation of "Nuetral". Some nuetrals are concerned with the "balance" (like those annoying Druids) but it can also mean that somebody considers certain things (like family, friends, or country) more important than abstract moral principles. Essentially, a nuetral character would act "good" towards loved ones, "evil" towards enemies, and mostly indifferent to everything else.
The Sage Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 12:29:42
Hmm...that's a very interesting question. At first thought, I would say that only exposing your player to those deities with alignment similar to your players would be a good start, since it would allow the players to adjust to deities that promote the same ideals and beliefs they do.

However, in the Realms that type of situation can be difficult to employ, and effectively roleplay for that matter.

Maybe start the game during the pre-Time of Troubles era of the Realms. This could serve to let them get a 'feel' for the deity flavour of the Realms before the changes wrought by the Gods War (and the many dire crisis to come).
Ius Posted - 13 Feb 2004 : 11:59:38
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd seen a similar theme running through the Iron Kingdoms (which is a great setting BTW), but there are many fundamental (and campaign specific) differences with the 'Dragon' ideas that I had been using...Besides, the ideas I put forth originated in 1997...

I am a player in an IronKingdom campaign at the moment, and though FR is my absolute favorite, I enjoy the IK setting as well, as it has many unique features.
AS we are on the subject of gods I have found out that beginner players have an easier time playing clerics in the almost monotheistic IK setting, than in for instances FR.
Does any of you guys have a good tip about how to introduce religion in the FR to a beginner player? I can see how it can be pretty hard as a beginner to sort out the many gods of the FR.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000