Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Adventure Company Contracts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Rafe Hasbrouck Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 03:37:24
I'm looking for ideas for drawing up an adventure company agreement. Either one that is already written or ideas for outlining one. It can be humorous, serious, equal loot rights, guarantee of burial upon death or ressurection, things like that. If anyone has any fun ideas or suggestions please let me know! Thanks for the help!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wintermute27 Posted - 29 Dec 2009 : 06:48:31
I just finished up the charter I'm planning to use for a game (borrowing heavily from Ed's post). Since the game is still in the early planning stages, there are a lot of bracketed portions where group specific information will go. If anyone has any input or sees any corrections that need to be made, let me know.

quote:

Know ye all by this good and true document that these bearers, known as [The Band Name], are granted the right and privilege to wield steel and weave spell within the territories and protectorate lands of the Crown of Cormyr. Let no War Wizard, Purple Dragon Knight, or officer of the Throne restrict these rights so long as this charter remains in good standing with the Throne.

Members of [The Band Name] are required to wear a badge or coat of arms identifying themselves as such at all times and have this document readily on hand whenever it is called for. [The Band Name] is expected to obey, and when called upon, to help support local magistrates in enforcing the posted laws and rules of the realm. This charter requires an annual tax of no less than 300 golden lions of Cormyrean mint on the anniversary of the signing of this document payable at appointed Purple Dragon Knight outposts in the realm. These rights shall extend to members of [The Band Name] as listed below. Any changes to the membership of [The Band Name] requires a re-issuance of this charter by an authorized individual.

[Character Name and Title]
Harl Amendal, Jack-of-Blades

Let it also be known that any untoward behavior acted against the bearers of this charter shall be taken as a threat against the Crown and accepted civilized behavior as witnessed by Heralds of note and standing everywhere. Consider, and conduct thyself accordingly.

I, Baron Thomdor, Warden of the Eastern Marches in Arabel, expressly empowered by His Majesty, King Azoun the Fourth to grant this adventurer's charter within the territories and protectorates of Cormyr, do authorize the validity of the statements made herein on this, the 15th of Highsun, 1330 years since the founding of the Obarskyr Dynasty, otherwise known as The Year of the Harp.

Wenin Posted - 19 Oct 2009 : 14:51:41
cartoon font type?
typer Posted - 19 Oct 2009 : 11:19:13
can i get cartoon fonts type from any website? do you have link?
Wenin Posted - 24 Sep 2009 : 16:46:12
I would also suggest using Edwardian Script ITC as a font to type up the charter. I have a vellum/parchment image that I put into Word as a watermark, that when printed gives the printout a psuedo scroll look to it. If you'd like a copy of the image, send me a PM with your email address, I'd be happy to send it via email.
If you don't have the above font, tell me and I can send you the font file as well.
Wenin Posted - 24 Sep 2009 : 14:59:31
I would add in the full name/nickname of Cormyr, I can't recall exactly what it is, but it was something like "The Forest Kingdom". So something like " the right to bear arms within the territories and protectorates of Cormyr 'The Forest Kingdom' "

I would also suggest that you don't list every village of Cormyr, but a flowing description of Cormyr's borders. This would also allow you to throw in some more RP, in that Cormyr claims Daerlun within their borders. This is a city with a history of contention between Sembia and Cormyr.

The rights and privledges section seems to be rights and privledges granted to the members, for being within the company, rather than the rights and privledges the company has for being within Cormyr.
Rafe Hasbrouck Posted - 24 Sep 2009 : 10:57:43
Thanks for the reference Rupert! Below is my attempt to compile a charter in my spare time at work. I tried to follow some of the guidelines and make it sound overly "wordy". If anyone has any input, recommendations, changes, suggestions, feel free to add them! I really am looking for some information to nail down in the members benefits and priveledges.

The Introduction
Company of the Art Blades
“Expressly empowered by Her Royal Highness Alusair, to grant a charter of the right to bear arms within the territories and protectorates of Cormyr”
Witnessed by Brenden Ylisire, Royal Court Scribe, Eleint, 1374 DR

Listed areas of Cormyr allowed travel by the party, used old Volo guide to get as many towns, small and large as I could

“The Company of Art Blades is relied on to act in the best interest of the Kingdom of Cormyr. Know ye all, by this good and true document, that the bearers are entitled by the Crown of Cormyr to bear arms within the lands under our writ and hand.”
Such lands of Cormyr to include: Arabel, Marsember, and the capitol Suzail; to further include the farming village of Bogbrook, settlement of Dawngleam, Gladehap, Kirinwood, the hamlet of Monksblade, town of Wheloon, Wormtower, Aunkspear, Dhedluk, Espar, Eveningstar, Immersea, Jesters Green, the Knightswood hamlet, Mouth o’ Gargoyles, Tyrluk despite any commoner misgivings, Waymoot, port of Hultail, village of Juniril, Thunderstone, with extreme care, caution the lost town of Tilverton, fortified town of Greatgaunt, and Wyvernhunt.”

Here is the rights and privledges of being a member section. Would like it to sound official and snazzy but I just havnt had time to dive into some actual documents to snatch and grab at things I like.

“Rights of members entitled by the Company of Art Blades are expected to receive the following rights and benefits while in continuous good standing with the Company of the Art Blades, and the Royal Kingdom of Cormyr, who so supports this charter. Rights and Privileges are as follows:
~Fair distribution of wealth accumulated in the act of adventuring with the Company of the Art Blades, in the service of the Crown of Cormyr.
~Wealth may be used in a manner solely the decision of the person in possession of said Wealth. Violations of the Charter will forfeit good standing status and rescind membership and future distributions of treasure.
~ A small 5% division of appropriated wealth, in the act of adventuring with the Company of the Art Blades, will be collected to fund a Company pool of resources in an effort to better the facilities/accommodations the members of the Company of the Art Blades use. Such facilities may include, but are not limited to: Taverns, Inns, Housing, discounted meals and equipment, magical services, funeral services and resurrection services.
~Members of the Company of the Art Blades, in good standing, may request funeral arrangements be carried out upon death.
~Members may request resurrection or raise dead spells in place of funeral arrangements. If insufficient funds are allocated for the appropriate spell, materials and service, the Company of the Art Blades will vote on the best direction to achieve the wishes of the deceased member.

The Roster section, to be signed by the group at the game.
Company of the Art Blades Formal list of Adventurers, to hereby receive complete benefits bestowed upon them by the Company of the Art Blades and Royal Kingdom of Cormyr:

Talindra Shalandaerl - me

Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Sep 2009 : 07:44:55
Well, we have this bit of info from Ed:

quote:
Hi, all. This time responds to MaxKaladin’s query: “I was wondering if Ed could tell us what sort of things one might find in an adventuring company charter. Also, has Ed ever actually written up a charter?”
Ed replies:

I’ve written eight charters that I can recall, but all now belong to TSR (Wizards of the Coast), and I can’t reproduce them here without permission.
So let me just run through the basics: usually written on the best vellum or parchment, signed by the issuer (usually a ruler, but sometimes a Lord Marshal, Grand Vizier, or other lofty officer of the Court specifically empowered to grant charters - - and because not every reader may know this, the charter will always specifically say so, e.g. this century-old Chessentan example: “Expressly empowered by His Majesty Harhoun the Exalted to grant a charter of the right to bear arms within the territories and protectorates of”) AND also bearing a royal or Court seal or Herald-witnessed (in writing, on the charter) rune, and will always contain a roster of members of the company [so if your name isn’t on it, you aren’t covered by it; though note that many charters contain an “alljack” name (a modern American might say a “John Doe pseudonym”) that any new or trial member assumes so that they’re covered; typical Faerûnian ones include “Jack-of-Blades” and “Harl Amendall”].
Each charter usually begins with something along the lines of: “Know ye all, by this good and true document, that the bearers are entitled by the Crown of [[place]] to bear arms within the lands under our writ and hand.”
From this beginning, the charter may well exhaustively list all such lands, and will always specify the name of the company and “spell out” the rights, privileges, and obligations it confers upon the adventurers.
Then will follow the roster of the company, each name customarily bearing beside it a signature, personal rune, or mark (even if it’s just an “X”) signifying that the named being has agreed to the charter, and the “authority” (the signing, seal or rune, witnessing, and explanation). This should present a polite but firm threat that messing with these adventurers means messing with the authority of the ruler and accepted civilized behavior (“as witnessed by Heralds of note and standing”) everywhere, so “consider and conduct thyself accordingly.”
Some rulers, especially in the Shining South, have engraved such charters on metal plaques, shields, or even swords, but the practice somehow never “catches on” to achieve widespread acceptance.

So saith Ed. Who wrote us up a beautiful charter that is so personal that I think I’ll keep it to myself. It brings a warm smile to my face whenever I read it.
love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000