Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ed Greenwood persistent interview...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Matt James Posted - 24 Aug 2009 : 02:34:22
If you guys have not seen, Ed is doing a persistent interview over at my site. You can get to the interviews by clicking here. If you want to come over and ask some questions, please do! There is also some others that have decided to field some as well. Basically it is fan-driven and the participants will answer at their own pace. Also, I should mention that I personally screen any questions sent to Ed out of respect for his work and to prevent mean-spirited people from wasting his time.

Anyways, if you get the chance to come over- please do!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Matt James Posted - 10 Oct 2009 : 15:04:48
Just added Matt Forbeck to the line-up. This thing is snowballing!

http://www.loremaster.org/vbinterviews.php
Snowblood Posted - 08 Oct 2009 : 01:58:36
Nothing like a bit of subversion to get the creative juices flowing....keep it up Matt.....
The Sage Posted - 07 Oct 2009 : 15:58:27
Oooh! I'm going to enjoy this.
Matt James Posted - 07 Oct 2009 : 12:58:08
Wolfgang is on the site, feel free to bombard him with questions :)
Matt James Posted - 22 Sep 2009 : 18:17:13
That's fine. And thank you for asking :)
Baragon Geddarm Posted - 22 Sep 2009 : 15:37:26
Matt, thanks alot for this interview. I've been a big fan of the Realms and Ed for ages and it's always good to read such words of wisdom and insight.

Thank you.

BTW, do you mind if I link to that from my blog? I want to share it with the RPG Blogger network.
Matt James Posted - 18 Sep 2009 : 20:06:39
Added Realms (and Dragonlance) author, James P. Davis!
Faraer Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 18:53:04
Oh, good. Enjoying the interviews.
Matt James Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 12:36:25
My comments were to Caolin.

quote:
This is the most amazing answer ever. It has been my main beef with all D&D editions past 1st for a long long time. It is what I hate about 4E. I feel like the game has become all about making these statistically perfect characters like they do in WoW. Someone please thank Ed for showing me that someone out there in the industry understands that this game is about role-playing and not statistics.

Back to the topic: Thanks for the well-wishes Everyone! I hope to have more people tag along shortly! WotC may have an official policy against it, but I would love to get people like Bruce Cordell and James Wyatt involved.
Brimstone Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 02:48:52
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Wolfgand Baur will be joining the list of Interviewees, but not until the end of the month. I still welcome people to come and ask their questions.

I agree with Sage on this! Awesome.
Faraer Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 01:29:41
Matt, there's no blaming or fighting there -- please don't group my post with a narrative I, at least, am not interested in. I pointed out a plainly existing dynamic of RPG publishing that forms the background to any personal discussion of play style (and one habitually forgotten by edition-war partisans). If you want this as just a news and not a discussion thread, I'll happily oblige.
The Sage Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 01:02:53
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Wolfgand Baur will be joining the list of Interviewees, but not until the end of the month. I still welcome people to come and ask their questions.
Awesome! This just keeps getting better.
Matt James Posted - 16 Sep 2009 : 00:35:11
I still strongly feel that blaming WotC (or any publisher) is a cop-out. Roleplaying lies 100% on the group and the storyteller. If someone truely wanted an immersive RP game, would they not forgo rulesets all-together? The edition wars are really getting old and I can see they are remaining here. ugh... I was pointing out the interview section I added and still got sucked into this debate ;)

Faraer Posted - 15 Sep 2009 : 21:36:09
Let's not forget the feedback loop/downward spiral by which, as long as the big publisher(s) refuses to expand the player base by proper advertising, lots of books have to be sold to a small number of people, more of the player-focused power-up supplements are published that have sold well in the past, the game attracts more of the people who like that kind of thing and puts off those who don't, and more of those books come out to meet the self-limiting player base's demand.

Which is also part of why Wizards is determined to promote the current ruleset above all others, to minimize the fragmentation that makes publishing setting lore of any particular world less viable even though/if setting material as a whole is as popular as rules expansions.

This basic fact of 'mainstream' RPG publishing from the 1990s on means that the rulesets, the books and to an extent the subculture are systemically biased away from the roleplaying-over-rules -- system serving the campaign, not a fetish-toy for its own sake -- approach that Ed and most of us prefer.
Caolin Posted - 15 Sep 2009 : 20:04:58
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin
quote:

Response from Ed:
"I'm more comfortable with playing a character, and like "gaming the system" a lot less; ... snip ... I'm not a gamer who plays to win; I play to have a good time.
Race, gender, etc. don't matter to me in terms of preferences; I'll have a go at anyone/anything. "

This is the most amazing answer ever. It has been my main beef with all D&D editions past 1st for a long long time. It is what I hate about 4E. I feel like the game has become all about making these statistically perfect characters like they do in WoW. Someone please thank Ed for showing me that someone out there in the industry understands that this game is about role-playing and not statistics.

I would answer much the same (though the language is quintessentially and unimitably Ed Greenwood). This is why I play the game, and how I play it.

@Caolin: I think that the powers of the industry are not so much marginalizing role-playing as leaving it up to the players. There are indeed multiple sorts of players of the game, who occupy all different points along the spectrum of how much role-playing vs. how much crunch they prefer. And role-playing isn't something you can effectively set out rules for--every group, every player does it differently. When it comes to a mechanical system, however, that's where you have to have firm rules for everyone to use.

I rather prefer that they don't try to impose rules on role-playing--though I agree that devoting more time to the dice-driven mechanics does indeed make it seem like they're ignoring the RP aspect.

Cheers

Yeah, I do agree that for a game to be played rules and mechanics have to be set up. My gripe comes from the defining of roles for the classes during a fight. I don't see the need for Strikers, Defenders, Controllers....etc. To me that says, yes you can role-play, but we are going to tell you how you have to act during a fight. I feel those roles naturally defined themselves in editions past and fights felt more real. I do realize that the DM has carte blanche over the game and can chose to run it as they want. But I digress, this is not the thread for such discussion.

Thank you for the moral support Erik. :)
Jorkens Posted - 15 Sep 2009 : 18:16:58
quote:

Race, gender, etc. don't matter to me in terms of preferences; I'll have a go at anyone/anything. "

Isn't that an old Errol Flynn quote
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Sep 2009 : 16:37:03
quote:
quote:

Response from Ed:
"I'm more comfortable with playing a character, and like "gaming the system" a lot less; ... snip ... I'm not a gamer who plays to win; I play to have a good time.

I would answer much the same (though the language is quintessentially and unimitably Ed Greenwood). This is why I play the game, and how I play it.

@Caolin: I think that the powers of the industry are not so much marginalizing role-playing as leaving it up to the players. There are indeed multiple sorts of players of the game, who occupy all different points along the spectrum of how much role-playing vs. how much crunch they prefer. And role-playing isn't something you can effectively set out rules for--every group, every player does it differently. When it comes to a mechanical system, however, that's where you have to have firm rules for everyone to use.

I rather prefer that they don't try to impose rules on role-playing--though I agree that devoting more time to the dice-driven mechanics does indeed make it seem like they're ignoring the RP aspect.

Cheers
Brimstone Posted - 15 Sep 2009 : 16:19:57
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

Got your e-mail Matt. Looking forward to the questions.

Now Borders just sent me an e-mail reminding me that I liked Ed's books and he has a new one out. Must go investigate...

More than likely Ed Greenwood: Dark Vengence! Which I picked up the next day after I got the same E-Mail!
Caolin Posted - 15 Sep 2009 : 08:20:12
Response from Ed:

"I'm more comfortable with playing a character, and like "gaming the system" a lot less; I dislike sitting around a gaming table at which players who don't bother to act/roleplay are all running multi-classed characters complete with "unusual" races, multiple templates and special skills, just so they can "get ahead of other characters" and dominate. To me, that takes the game away from roleplaying and into wargaming - - and if we're wargaming, I'd personally rather play a strategy game with hexes and simulations, than try to play D&D. I want to try to imagine myself in the midst of a fantastical setting and situations, not hover "above it all" and participate in quarterback-like "you do this, then I'll try that" discussions with fellow players, or (as a player, not DM) have to pay more attention to game rules than to roleplaying. I'm not a gamer who plays to win; I play to have a good time.

Rosemary Jones Posted - 07 Sep 2009 : 18:30:58
Got your e-mail Matt. Looking forward to the questions.

Now Borders just sent me an e-mail reminding me that I liked Ed's books and he has a new one out. Must go investigate...
Matt James Posted - 07 Sep 2009 : 18:07:32
...what they said :) Ask anything you want but keep it civil and clean. Anything rude or inappropriate will invoke my wrath! ;)

Rosemary, e-mail coming (I promise!)
Rosemary Jones Posted - 06 Sep 2009 : 22:21:28
I tend to stick to Realmslore that has been previously published -- and I'm happy to quote my sources.

Rosemary
who now has her e-mail prominently displayed on her website.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 Sep 2009 : 19:30:19
As I understand it, you can ask anything you like, and it's up to the author to determine whether to answer it or not.

Keep in mind that some realmslore related to our various projects might be stuff we're keeping on the down-low, because we want to use it/reveal it in a later book. Not exactly NDA, but not something we'd want to reveal just yet. That said, ask away!

Cheers
Quale Posted - 06 Sep 2009 : 10:27:03
Is the interview just personal questions or you can ask about Realmslore?
Matt James Posted - 04 Sep 2009 : 20:48:27
Obsolutely Rosemary!! I will send you an e-mail tonight after I take a nap (feeling woozy).
Rosemary Jones Posted - 04 Sep 2009 : 16:52:16
Hi everyone (waving!!)

Erik did send this to me but I was wandering along the Oregon coast thinking that those rock formations would make great places for pirates to hide. Back again, sans buried treasure, and back to work writing.

I'm always happy to answer questions about writing, Waterdeep, pirates, best bookstores in Washington and Oregon, or whatever. Vallon - please don't wait, just drop me a note. I'm a bit slow getting to this forum so feel free to use my e-mail too.

Matt: if you need another author to interview, I'd be happy to oblige. My twitter is http://www.twitter.com/rosemaryjones.

All my other contact info at http://www.rosemaryjones.com.

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL!
Rosemary
The Sage Posted - 04 Sep 2009 : 00:34:35
Hmmm. The only problem I have, is wondering what I can ask.
Matt James Posted - 03 Sep 2009 : 19:18:10
Added Steven Schend to the line-up! Come bug (eer I mean, Ask) Steven any questions you'd like :)

http://www.loremaster.org/vbinterviews.php
vallon Posted - 01 Sep 2009 : 18:09:54
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Hey Matt. Wonderful site. I think that I will stay a lot of time there grabbing little things. ;)

@vallon: Ghostwalker is the best Realms novel of all times (IMO, of course ).

Can't wait to read it!
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 01 Sep 2009 : 15:17:47
Hey Matt. Wonderful site. I think that I will stay a lot of time there grabbing little things. ;)

@vallon: Ghostwalker is the best Realms novel of all times (IMO, of course ).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000