Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Secrets of the Sages newsletter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jorkens Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 15:42:12
Another question going back in time.

Does anyone here know who did the illustrations of Elminster and the Simbul in the old Secrets of the Sages newsletter from '88? The Elminster picture has a signature, but as it is a pdf I cant get a clear enough picture to make it out.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dark Wizard Posted - 26 Aug 2009 : 02:57:22
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Man I hate the "Cutting Room Floor". So this could have been the Original Forgotten Realms "Web Enhancement"?

Fitting context to put it in and a lovely "Web Enhancement" it is.
Brimstone Posted - 25 Aug 2009 : 16:39:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

This discussion also leaves me wondering what would have been the direction of the newsletter if it had continued and whether Ed had already submitted more material before it was cancelled.

I seem to recall someone -- perhaps Steven -- explaining that the content of the one newsletter wasn't new, it was stuff that didn't make the Old Grey Box.

Man I hate the "Cutting Room Floor". So this could have been the Original Forgotten Realms "Web Enhancement"?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2009 : 16:28:16
quote:

quote:

quote:

This discussion also leaves me wondering what would have been the direction of the newsletter if it had continued and whether Ed had already submitted more material before it was cancelled.

I seem to recall someone -- perhaps Steven -- explaining that the content of the one newsletter wasn't new, it was stuff that didn't make the Old Grey Box.

I have heard (or rather read) the same, but wasn't the newsletter planned to be more than a one-of thing?

It depends on who was planning, I guess. If you look at the link I posted above, it explains that those who came up with the idea for the newsletter didn't tell everyone else, and the one newsletter we got was the company scrambling to fulfill a promise it didn't know had been made. My assumption is that the creative team found out about the promised newsletter after the cards started coming in, and then they were ordered to simply put something together as a one-off.
Jorkens Posted - 25 Aug 2009 : 16:16:47
quote:

quote:

I have heard (or rather read) the same, but wasn't the newsletter planned to be more than a one-of thing?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2009 : 14:50:25
quote:

Jorkens Posted - 25 Aug 2009 : 08:25:07
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

Looking at it again I must say that that Elminster picture must, of the ones published, be the strangest one I have seen. I like it(although it makes me think of Peps Persson, old Swedish reggae and blues musician), but it bares little resemblance to the others done through the years.

I saw that picture for the first time in one of the "April Issues" of Dragon Magazine (#156), as an illustration for "Outrages from the Mages - Milking the Misbegotten Realms for all they are worth". I'm pretty sure there's a reason why they used that particular image (which, as I just now found out, was already used in 1988 - art recycling is nothing new, then ). I never knew that it was originally supposed to represent Elminster.

That is, if it was meant to represent Elminster in the first place. It could be a generic illustration used for convenience. I imagined Elminster more along the lines of the illustration on page four of the Encyclopaedia of the Realms in the Grey box. Come to think of it, when was the first official description of Elminster given?

Caolin Posted - 25 Aug 2009 : 08:07:34
Aww man, I think I still have that newsletter stashed away at my parents. Man, that takes me back and I kind of wish the Realms still have that feeling of mystery....sigh.
Thauramarth Posted - 25 Aug 2009 : 07:27:57
quote:

Looking at it again I must say that that Elminster picture must, of the ones published, be the strangest one I have seen. I like it(although it makes me think of Peps Persson, old Swedish reggae and blues musician), but it bares little resemblance to the others done through the years.

I saw that picture for the first time in one of the "April Issues" of Dragon Magazine (#156), as an illustration for "Outrages from the Mages - Milking the Misbegotten Realms for all they are worth". I'm pretty sure there's a reason why they used that particular image (which, as I just now found out, was already used in 1988 - art recycling is nothing new, then ). I never knew that it was originally supposed to represent Elminster.
Brimstone Posted - 24 Aug 2009 : 21:53:46
Just to think I almost bought the PDF for $5.00 from Paizo last year.

Then I saw it posted here and FREE.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Aug 2009 : 17:14:07
Auzoros Posted - 24 Aug 2009 : 14:53:17
quote:

I can offer up the link for anyone who doesn't have the pdf, though.
Secrets of the Sages: The Long-Lost 1988 Forgotten Realms Newsletter

Wonderful! Thanks Wooly
The Hooded One Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 20:47:47
And I can confirm that Ed was the artist. Those were early sketches of his that were turned in as part of his "bible" of the Realms, not work intended by him for publication (he's done better of The Simbul, since).
love,
THO
Jorkens Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 17:22:25
Thanks Steven, I knew there was something familiar with the signature on the Elminster image, but I couldn't figure out who it was.

To bad this was the only issue of the newsletter ever produced.
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 17:22:23
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

... and I do believe that the Simbul picture and sigil were hand-drawn images from Ed's FR bible done by the great man himself. :)
I suspected this might have been the case, as I'd recently been re-reading Ed's annotations in The Annotated Elminster. So, after comparing the style of the TAE sketches with the imagery of the Simbul in the newsletter, I noticed some similarities between them. Which, initially, made me think the Simbul's image might have come directly from Ed's hand.
Steven Schend Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 17:16:31
The front cover's by Valerie Valusek; the "Elminster"/wizard picture is a pickup piece by Tim Truman (former TSR staff artist long before I was there in 1990); and I do believe that the Simbul picture and sigil were hand-drawn images from Ed's FR bible done by the great man himself. :)

Steven
The Sage Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 17:14:14
Aye. I've had the same problem. I even utilised this new function I added to SageBrowser... trying to view the PDF through it. But, it met with little success. The first name for the Elminster image kind of looks like "Dan." That's all I got.

It might be worth asking Ed. He might know more.
Jorkens Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 17:13:04
Thanks Wooly. My hope here is that someone might own the original and that it might be readable. Ed might know, but I prefer to add as little as possible to his workload.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Aug 2009 : 16:21:47
I tried extracting the pics, but when I zoomed in on them, the quality went to hell and made the sigs unreadable. So I can't help you.

I can offer up the link for anyone who doesn't have the pdf, though.
Secrets of the Sages: The Long-Lost 1988 Forgotten Realms Newsletter

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000