Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 BG3 in Development!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Five_X Posted - 07 May 2009 : 01:47:51
According to thishttp://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/691433/Atari-To-Revive-90s-Franchises-in-2010-Baldurs-Gate-Test-Drive-And-More.html news post on G4, Atari and Infogrames are working on a new Baldur's Gate. Now, this is really hit or miss, looking at NWN 1/2. Personally, those two games couldn't match up to BG2, but who knows?? I have my fingers crossed.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Silverblade The Enchanter Posted - 21 Aug 2010 : 22:04:07
Zireael,
lol that was quite a surprise to see Lanfear in the game :p

really missing having a new D&D PC game to play for what, is that 4 years now? :(
Zireael Posted - 19 Aug 2010 : 19:50:36
quote:
Originally posted by Silverblade The Enchanter

By the way, I'm actually mentioned in BG2 ;)
Myself and a few other regulars of the old "Interplay" Baldurs Gate forums got mentioned in the game itself
"Lanfear" (a wolfwere ya meet, iirc) is named after a German lady friend from the forums

me being Scots and not unsurprisingly having an affinity for the bearded folks...well...this was how I got immortalized

Crom Faeyr
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/BG2/Update%2048/34-BG2SoAch35022.jpg

Nice, never got the connection. Lanfear I know. She kills Safana.
Oh, btw, the BG+ToTSC mod for NWN2 is due the end of the year, not summer. Misread the post.
Silverblade The Enchanter Posted - 19 Aug 2010 : 18:32:23
By the way, I'm actually mentioned in BG2 ;)
Myself and a few other regulars of the old "Interplay" Baldurs Gate forums got mentioned in the game itself
"Lanfear" (a wolfwere ya meet, iirc) is named after a German lady friend from the forums

me being Scots and not unsurprisingly having an affinity for the bearded folks...well...this was how I got immortalized

Crom Faeyr
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/BG2/Update%2048/34-BG2SoAch35022.jpg
Mournblade Posted - 18 Aug 2010 : 05:02:37
MAybe Obsidian would make it worth while. I doubt it is going to go to bioware, and if bioware doesn't make it, I would not want to see baldur's gate.

Just do another franchise altogether. Even though it would be a 4e game I would play it, yet I do not have high hopes if bioware is not on board.

Diffan Posted - 17 Aug 2010 : 14:14:07
It is very tactical, which is why I hope it plays like NWN (or KotR). But don't get me wrong, BG/IWD were great games and had lots of good story development and lore thrown in but I liked the game mechanics of NWN more. Plus it would be easier to develop 4e mechanics into a game like that rather than BG.
Silverblade The Enchanter Posted - 17 Aug 2010 : 07:57:47
well announcement at GenCon last week regarding an upcoming D&D Computer game COULD be BG3, or another MMO
much rather have BG3!
personally I love 4th ed rules, for many reasons, liek far more customozable AND still valid characters ;)
needs ot be pure turn based though, 4th ed is so tactical it has to be.
Zireael Posted - 04 Aug 2010 : 17:00:31
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Oh ok...I remember seeing one for NWN 1 (remake of BG1) that was fanmade at some point.

There was one, but never finished.

Speaking of that, the NWN2 remake of BG 1 & ToTSC should come out at the end of this summer!!! I can't wait.
Datarecovery Posted - 28 Jul 2010 : 09:52:08
I agree on your both points. Throne of Bhaal came out in early 2000s not in 90s. it is very inaccurate to call BG series a 90s franchise.

Thanks
Cleora
Alisttair Posted - 18 Jun 2010 : 12:27:25
Oh ok...I remember seeing one for NWN 1 (remake of BG1) that was fanmade at some point.
Zireael Posted - 18 Jun 2010 : 10:06:59
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

I'd be ok if they just remade the trilogy into one massive game using graphics like Dragon Age.

There is such a project, and there is also a project to remake BG using NWN2. The NWN2 one, after 4 years, is almost completed.

Is that fan made or official??

Both are fan made. Link to discussion of NWN2 one - http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=674330&forum=111&sp=255
Alisttair Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 19:03:23
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

quote:

I'd be ok if they just remade the trilogy into one massive game using graphics like Dragon Age.

There is such a project, and there is also a project to remake BG using NWN2. The NWN2 one, after 4 years, is almost completed.

Is that fan made or official??
Zireael Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 17:51:22
quote:

Alisttair Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 15:05:05
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I may be wrong, but I think Dragon Age was supposed to be a D&D game at first (possibly said BG3) but Bioware didn't obtain the rights from WoTC. They decided to make their own setting, creating DA:O. As for the combat mechanics, I don't know if they ever considered using d20 again, but DA:O mechanics work great IMO.

IMO the DA:O mechanics are ideal for a video game but wouldnt work as well for PnP, wheras D&D (both 3.xE and 4E) are optimal for PnP but require tweaking to work well in video game format.
Kilvan Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 13:53:25
I may be wrong, but I think Dragon Age was supposed to be a D&D game at first (possibly said BG3) but Bioware didn't obtain the rights from WoTC. They decided to make their own setting, creating DA:O. As for the combat mechanics, I don't know if they ever considered using d20 again, but DA:O mechanics work great IMO.
Alisttair Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 13:43:37
Sill Alias Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 10:54:54
If there will be nice story that will involve more Bhaalspawns and priests of Bhaal, then maybe they can do something. All we need is to watch and wait patiently for news and development.
Zireael Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 09:33:47
The rumor is particularly lasting. Even though there hasn't been anything out in the last year.
There was even a poll somewhere on Polish website: would you prefer BG3 or PS:T 2. Don't remember who won.
Talwyn Posted - 17 Jun 2010 : 03:12:24
Looking at the date of the last couple of posts, I would say that the BG3 game has not advanced any further than speculation.

A pity really but understandable.

What I believe the games companies are not seeing is that flashy 3d graphics and trying to emmulate WoW are not the answer to producing a successful game.

I firmly belive that if Bioware/Atari whomever, released a game that had the depth, complexity, style and sheer brilliance as the Baldurs Gate series, and used the now reletively simple Infinity engine for its graphics interface, they'd have a winner on their hands.

In fact, the more spent on narrative, characterisation, plot and interaction, beats glorious 3d snazzy graphics everytime. In addition, by using a tried & tested graphics platform, the publishers don't have to build and spend heaps of R&D time coming upo with new code and software. Instead they can focus on the STORY which is what we are all really interested in anyway.

It still amazes me that the folks out there in game design land, who I believe are quite intelligent, don't grasp this salient fact.

How many polls and web board discussions does it take to get through to them that a game like BG is probably one of the best ever created and that another one like it would be warmly received if it was as in depth and playable as BG? NWN came close but BG still wins hands down.
dwarvenranger Posted - 30 Dec 2009 : 21:28:23
Not to threadjack, but does anyone know if any of the infinity stuff (esp IWDII) was converted into a pen and paper mod?
Kaesolartis Posted - 10 Dec 2009 : 10:04:51
My impression is that the games of tha era (late 90’s and beginning 2000’s) were really good, if not better. Jagged Alliance 2, Baldur’s Gate and Fallout are my all time favorite. It may be the case that I grow old and nostalgic but I do think that those games are less about the visual than the story. The little side stories such the romance were definitely what kept me in the game. The rather “primitive” engine also allows great mods to be created. I think on the other hand that developers have other focus today such using the best tech available as it is a marketing tool. I noticed that with my favorite strategy game Europa Universalis.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 10 Dec 2009 : 01:45:58
hmm, ive never had a romance with Jaheira so ive never noticed that. interesting. that is really cool :)
skychrome Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 18:29:34
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage
id be fine with that. infinity engine = good game play, add that to good storyline and a well rounded mix of wilderness exploration, towns/cities and dungeons, thats all i ask. it doesnt need to be a continuation of the BG series

Totally agree!

Plus the details from BG2 that created so much atmosphere. I have played BG2 lots of times and it never stopped to surprise me with lovely details that were irrelevant for the story or a quest. For example at the Jaheira romance: there is this useless merchant with boring goods in a side street in the docks district who sells her an amulet that is supposed to show the picture of her beloved when she opens it. She opens it and there's the picture of our PC. For me that was truly awesome, because it is completely irrelevent and they have lots of stuff like that in the game.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 16:38:46
quote:
Originally posted by bladeinAmn
Really, coming from as diehard a BG fan as any other, the best thing would be to juss leave the BG series as is, and make other games w/the same intense storyline and awsome gameplay, while not at all making it a clone of the BG series
id be fine with that. infinity engine = good game play, add that to good storyline and a well rounded mix of wilderness exploration, towns/cities and dungeons, thats all i ask. it doesnt need to be a continuation of the BG series

quote:

quote:

no i found them boring because you were in dungeons/caves the entire time. BG has a well rounded amount of wilderness exploration, towns and cities, and dungeons thrown in here and there. it was just more well rounded. if you got sick of exploring the wild, go to a city and do some thieving and some quests. if you got sick of that, go hunting for a dungeon someplace in the wild. it kept more options open for what you wanted to do. thats how it felt for me anyway. IWD was just dungeons and dungeon-type areas for pretty much the entire game so it got old. get what i mean?

Yuppers....I guess they didn't want your character to freeze to death in IWD

skychrome Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 15:55:15
Some years ago I also was enthusiastic about a potential BG3. But I fear, it would probably not be made the way I would like to simply due to the course the industry has taken.

I have played IWDs and BGs. Even though I liked IWD a lot, it just could not keep up with BG. The NPC interactions are crucial and also the non-linear game design and the many many not quest-related details. So these issues would be tremendously important.

But there is also another important issue: the graphics. I have played NWN and NWN2 and I see the screenshots of Dragon Age. The 3D stuff does not work that much for me, at least not in comparison to 2D in the BG series. No matter how much graphics have improved and still do, I feel it it so much more atmospheric to run a game through a beautiful 2D bitmap as in BG or IWD, than 3D with textures. Dragon Age looks truly great, but still 3D with textures just makes me feel more being in a computer game than in a fantasy world like BG2 felt.
It would really surprise me if any studio had the courage to make a 2D BG3 nowadays. If they do 3D, then better call it NWN3 or Dragon Age 2...

Apart from that: what could be the story of BG3? Playing a demi-god after the ascension in Throne of Bhaal (if one chose to)?
Alisttair Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 11:58:47
quote:

no i found them boring because you were in dungeons/caves the entire time. BG has a well rounded amount of wilderness exploration, towns and cities, and dungeons thrown in here and there. it was just more well rounded. if you got sick of exploring the wild, go to a city and do some thieving and some quests. if you got sick of that, go hunting for a dungeon someplace in the wild. it kept more options open for what you wanted to do. thats how it felt for me anyway. IWD was just dungeons and dungeon-type areas for pretty much the entire game so it got old. get what i mean?

Yuppers....I guess they didn't want your characters to freeze to death in IWD
Alisttair Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 11:58:09
quote:

Yuppers....I guess they didn't want your character to freeze to death in IWD
bladeinAmn Posted - 09 Dec 2009 : 08:08:10
quote:

They both used the Infinity Engine, but the BG series spent time making the storyline as awsome as the gameplay, whereas the IWD series focused less on the storyline, and more on hack'n'slash. So two completely different series'.

A few years ago, I was hyped about a BG3. But now upon reflection, how could they make any effective add-on to it? Double that, when you consider that it was already a trilogy (BG1, BG2-SoA and BG2-ToB).

They can't make it any more epic than it was, w/any continuation theme, especially since there are already mods that make you fight ridiculously epic foes like Orcus.

Really, coming from as diehard a BG fan as any other, the best thing would be to juss leave the BG series as is, and make other games w/the same intense storyline and awsome gameplay, while not at all making it a clone of the BG series; much like it appears they've done w/Dragon Age: Origins.
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 08 Dec 2009 : 20:50:19
Alisttair Posted - 08 Dec 2009 : 18:34:15
quote:

i would love to see a BG3. but i would be extremely disappointed if they didnt hold up to the first two. infinity engine would be a must, none of that NWN crap. im not a fan of NWN...at all. IWD didnt really do it for me, it was ok, but i was kinda bored with it. IWD2 was better, but not anywhere close to the BG games. BG1 and BG2 are pretty much the perfect games to me so unless it was build like those, i would likely be disappointed. but if they did do it right, thatd be amazing

Regarding the IWD games, would that be because of the fact that they weren't as epic in scope as the BG games??
Dracandos the Spellsage Posted - 08 Dec 2009 : 14:54:54
i would love to see a BG3. but i would be extremely disappointed if they didnt hold up to the first two. infinity engine would be a must, none of that NWN crap. im not a fan of NWN...at all. IWD didnt really do it for me, it was ok, but i was kinda bored with it. IWD2 was better, but not anywhere close to the BG games. BG1 and BG2 are pretty much the perfect games to me so unless it was build like those, i would likely be disappointed. but if they did do it right, thatd be amazing

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000