Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Forgotten Realms MMO

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dantrag Posted - 15 Apr 2009 : 21:34:43
I would like to hear everyones thoughts and opinions on a Realms MMO.If the developer could take fans comments and decide on them. What would it include ...races,deities,regions,and other things of that nature? Just curious
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pazuzu Posted - 13 Sep 2010 : 21:50:08
As I understood the new upcoming D&D game will be a MMO.
http://www.playneverwinter.com/

As for the size of the regions, for me there are two options:
1. Not to make every region, but main regions which are connected by world map traveling (as in Baldur's Gate).
2. Start with one region and enlarge the world step-by-step (as in Lord of the Rings Online).
Jimbobx Posted - 13 Sep 2010 : 20:39:20
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I would love to visit a tavern in an MMO with y'all

Tavern building I could handle Its just the rest of faerun that's the struggle
Dalor Darden Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 17:56:26
quote:
Originally posted by wintermute27

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Does anyone here know what it would cost to create a new game from scratch?

I'm not joking...not saying I'm paying either...just seriously asking what the price tag would be to make a Forgotten Realms Computer MMO similar to the Lord of the Rings MMO?

I got addicted to the LOTR MMO for a while...but I got tired of respawns and such after a while...and even playing an Orc got weary after a while.

Now Everquest, well, I've been playing it since it came out...and I seriously doubt that will stop unless they do!

So...anyone have an idea for costs?

It really depends on what you are trying to do. A simple MMO can be produced for around one to three million dollars, but can easily balloon well past 10 million depending on how expansive a project you are undertaking (and Faerun is rather expansive).

That much? Is that for hardware, employee pay...etc? Any way to give that a breakdown?
wintermute27 Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 16:18:05
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I'm not joking...not saying I'm paying either...just seriously asking what the price tag would be to make a Forgotten Realms Computer MMO similar to the Lord of the Rings MMO?

I got addicted to the LOTR MMO for a while...but I got tired of respawns and such after a while...and even playing an Orc got weary after a while.

Now Everquest, well, I've been playing it since it came out...and I seriously doubt that will stop unless they do!

It really depends on what you are trying to do. A simple MMO can be produced for around one to three million dollars, but can easily balloon well past 10 million depending on how expansive a project you are undertaking (and Faerun is rather expansive).
Jimbobx Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 11:33:15
quote:
Originally posted by socialpanic
Has this community looked into making a NWN server? I have given a shot before but it was A LOT of work for just one person. I see no shortage of creative people on here and was just wondering if anyone else gave it a shot.

I also gave it a shot. I was hoping to integrate Candlekeep into a NWN module I was making of an old campaign set in the North but never got around to actually building the keep. As socialpanic said - its a lot for one person.
The server is still up and I haven't given up hope of completing it yet.
Dalor Darden Posted - 04 Aug 2010 : 05:40:47

skychrome Posted - 16 Apr 2010 : 15:45:27
quote:
Originally posted by socialpanic
Has this community looked into making a NWN server? I have given a shot before but it was A LOT of work for just one person. I see no shortage of creative people on here and was just wondering if anyone else gave it a shot.

Yeah, that would actually be a really nice idea. If that ever happened, count me in.
socialpanic Posted - 14 Apr 2010 : 19:15:23
I have given the thought of a realms mmo quite a bit of thought in the last few years. Personally I don't think it would catch on. Sure freaks like us who have read the books and rolled the dice would get into it but the tween demographic would burn shrines when they found out their level cap was 20.

And do we really want a persistant world where corpses of n00bs line the road to Elmisters tower waiting for their spirits to rejoin their bodies just so they can take another three or four steps?

Dantrag Posted - 22 Oct 2009 : 23:06:58
It would still be almost impossible to create all the regions and races of the Realms. Though, they used Tolkiens universe in an mmo and they are gradually letting out different regions through the expansions. That would seem to work better.
skychrome Posted - 22 Oct 2009 : 20:34:15
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

True as roleplaying fans , we also tend to have higher standards of the products. I would hate for them to make an FR MMO and then it gets tossed in the trash in every perspective. That would be a major disaster and would probably destroy the realms in the video game genre.

..on the other hand I was just thinking, that as 4e basically pressed the "reset"-button on realms lore, a 4e MMO would be easier for them to launch, while pre-4e would have been impossible to implement properly, due to all the great lore and history.
Dantrag Posted - 21 Oct 2009 : 19:40:24
True as roleplaying fans , we also tend to have higher standards of the products. I would hate for them to make an FR MMO and then it gets tossed in the trash in every perspective. That would be a major disaster and would probably destroy the realms in the video game genre.
slayer Posted - 13 Aug 2009 : 17:40:22
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

A dedicated FR MMO that is properly monitored and fully canon (in whichever era) I would LOVE to play in.

This would be fatal for my social life and job...
But that would require much more perfectionism and investment and monitoring than you can possibly expect from a comercial company who wants to earn as much as possible with as little development and operations cost as possible...

Yep, this is why you don't see any giant MMO's from FR setting being developed, ever. Role playing gamers tend to have the highest standards and scrutiny of games but the smallest playerbases. It is for these reasons that the laws of economics take over and the feat isn't even attempted. Can't put unfathomable amount of time and money into developing a giant game only to have nobody playing it because games like WoW running the MMO-nerd scene and only hardcore FR fans buying into the new title.
Nefarious Posted - 17 Jun 2009 : 22:44:07
I will be buying a new computer specifically for Old Republic. On the subject of Elminster, that was definitely my thought as well, Brian. There is plenty to do and plenty of lore to keep things interesting in a Realms based MMO, if done properly.
Brian R. James Posted - 04 Jun 2009 : 02:28:32
Elminster if included at all, would be a quest NPC not a raid target Mace. But I'm sure you know that. Myself, I'm hitting my 10th year of EQ addiction, and still loving every moment of it. The Old Republic could finally get me to switch though.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 02 Jun 2009 : 22:27:35
The inherent danger to a FR MMO would be ... raids... back when EverQuest was released the big-ass dragons weren't supposed to be killed("unkillable"), and when some guilds took them out a whole new system was added to the game... if there ever was an FR MMO that could cater to the MMO-crowd's needs you'd have loot-tables and respawn-timers for Elminster, instances etc... to make money off of it

Sorry, not really what I'd like to see, I'd rather return to EQ

Several of my friends still play WoW but the only time they have fun now is the raids, and if you have a well-organized guild that's 2-3 days fun and the rest boredom, daily quests (which equals boredom) and nothing more to do until the servers reset every Wednesday...

WotC would try to emulate WoW to get profits, and if that was to happen... sorry, WoW held my attention not as long as EQ, and even an MMO set in the Realms would evolve into a kill'em, grab loot kind of game...I'm monitoring The old Republic, but even tho I have faith in Bioware I'm afraid they will have to change their concept to make money off of it...

... or maybe I'm just jaded by a 2 year addiction of hardcore playing Everquest
Nefarious Posted - 02 Jun 2009 : 21:44:19
I would absolutely love to play a Forgotten Realms MMO. I had already played in a NWN server for about 5 years, which was quite fun. NWN2 would have been perfect if it weren't for the ridiculous system requirements.
Dantrag Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 22:42:38
that would be great, and yes i am waiting on kotor and assassins creed2
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 22:19:43
Well, just remember, Bioware is moving into the MMO world with the (going to be awesome) KotOR MMO; they said it would be more story based with a more epic feel.

If and when they pull it off successfully, they may revisit the D&D world. -shrug- You never know.

Alisttair Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:45:17
I would love to visit a tavern in an MMO with y'all
skychrome Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 21:11:44
True! The Baldur's Gate series was flawless.
I just think, that moving to a 3D MMO setting may be much more complex. NWN never enchanted me as much as the 2D BG series where you could create a better atmosphere and more detail by simply let the chars interact in beautiful "paintings" rather than a 3D world.

I would love to see a FR MMO which is as well developed as what Black Isle did with BG and yes, it would be great to start with the Sowrd Coast or maybe even something more limited in order to stuff it with detail.

The best idea would probably be, to involve dedicated FR fans in delivering content for those modules for free! Thus developers could focus more on technology, content would improve while cost decreases and everyone would be happy!
It would be great to have wilderness areas provide more than just random encounters and type A or B of trees!

-
Hawkins Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 20:39:57
I don't know if I agree with you Jorkens. I have heard very few complaints about Baldur's Gate, largely because of the detail that Bioware put into making it. That is why I loved it, and NWN, because it let me explore a bit of the Realms. I think that if they took time to develop each area in detail (probably starting with the Sword Coast North and Silverymoon/Silver Marches since that is one of the best known areas) and then branched out into others (such as the Heartlands) as expansions it would work well. What I really want is to be able to explore the Faerun like I can now explore Azeroth (and I have had this desire way before WoW). Though, as stated above, I would not buy it if it was the 4e Realms, which it would be.
skychrome Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 20:09:42
Think so too. They needed to jump on the MMO-Train more or less fast. They wanted D&D...
The Realms: too complex. Eberon: made a good start in the market without being too complex yet.
Result: let's develop an D&D MMO fast and see what comes around with it and let's pick Eberon.

Maybe it is also a first reconnaisance mission on what has to be done or avoided when dvelopping a FR MMO!?

Anyways one has to bear in mind that computer game development has little to do with how WotC works for example and is definitely even more comercial, especially due to high cost in the development phase.
So complying with fan's high expectations in not necessarily priority one, if the only thing that matters is creating a game with as little effort and investment as possible and addressing an as broad audience as posible, not only the critical fans.

-
Jorkens Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 17:17:42
What happened to those ears then? Sorry, bad joke.

I would think that the fact that Eberon was not that well known or overly detailed would be a plus when planning a game like this. Trying to cram a hundred books of lore into a game is a bit over the top, and would probably only lead to never-ending complaints about how it was done anyway. They gambled a bit with using a little known setting, but I got the impression that the general ratings for the game itself was somewhat lukewarm. If it had gotten great reviews all over the place would it matter all that much which world they used?
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Apr 2009 : 14:12:10
I have played a lot of MMOs out there. I think Turbine's system for Stormreach (D&D) was a bit wonky and clumsy. Plus, I don't think everyone was down with Warforged (giant Robots in fantasy doesn't do it for some people). I have always been confused why they chose Eberron rather than FR. FR has the books to support a vast world, Eberron.. well, didn't.

As for a FR MMO, if it used the same interface as WoW, or LotOR (which borrows heavily on WoW), I would probably drop WoW in a second, or less, as I like the world that much more.

I would miss my cute Blood Elf Paladin (and the long ears, which have grown on me), but to explore Undermoutain, quest in Thay, help Cormyr... those would be sooooo awesome.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2009 : 23:16:12
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

quote:
Yeah. I mean, really! Her eyes are supposed to be blue."
"And her bosom is not nearly as ample as described in the novels..."

Sometimes knowledge is a dangerous weapon, my friends. ;)

Regardless of what disagreements you would have from this...it would do wonders for gamers and Forgotten Realms as a whole...maybe a good director would see the success of the game, call up Salvatore(or any other author) ,and offer to organize a movie using the author as a basis of knowledge. This could also be used for the game...because if the author that made up the character in the first place created the character in the game...you couldn't say much regarding their "ample bosoms" or things of that nature, because it is strait from the view point of the author.

D&D Online didn't do wonders for gamers -- and that was for everyone, not just a subset of D&D players like we are. So I don't see a setting-specific MMO doing all that much for the game as a whole.
Dantrag Posted - 18 Apr 2009 : 22:20:52
quote:
Yeah. I mean, really! Her eyes are supposed to be blue."
"And her bosom is not nearly as ample as described in the novels..."

Sometimes knowledge is a dangerous weapon, my friends. ;)

Regardless of what disagreements you would have from this...it would do wonders for gamers and Forgotten Realms as a whole...maybe a good director would see the success of the game, call up Salvatore(or any other author) ,and offer to organize a movie using the author as a basis of knowledge. This could also be used for the game...because if the author that made up the character in the first place created the character in the game...you couldn't say much regarding their "ample bosoms" or things of that nature, because it is strait from the view point of the author.
Tyr Posted - 18 Apr 2009 : 09:41:01
Well just did some looking around and it seems nobody has actually tried to make a FR conversion for another game, just a lot of NWN adventures, which is wierd.

Will have to rectify that at some point.
The Red Walker Posted - 18 Apr 2009 : 02:21:31
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'd absolutely love to explore the Realms in a MMO. More importantly I'd love to do so with my friends here at Candlekeep. Now how cool would that be!

I'll second this. Adventuring with some of the scribes here at Candlekeep through a Realms MMO is something I've thought about before.

Though, I get the feeling we'd all end up probably talking more in some tavern of Waterdeep, than we would questing across virtual Faerūn.

Count me in as well! How fun would it be to gather a group of a robes and Sagify the realms?
The Sage Posted - 18 Apr 2009 : 01:42:39
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'd absolutely love to explore the Realms in a MMO. More importantly I'd love to do so with my friends here at Candlekeep. Now how cool would that be!

I'll second this. Adventuring with some of the scribes here at Candlekeep through a Realms MMO is something I've thought about before.

Though, I get the feeling we'd all end up probably talking more in some tavern of Waterdeep, than we would questing across virtual Faerūn.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Apr 2009 : 21:21:12
I'm not into MMOs, so if such a game did come out I'd be unlikely to play it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000