Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Questions for the Answerer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
edappel Posted - 13 Apr 2009 : 21:40:35
Well, I searched a topic to make any questions for you all.. But I did find only to a single question.

So, on this topic I will, with time, put all of my doubts to someone that could answer it. Some of them I thought about asking Ed or THO, but i know they are too busy to answer some futile ones.

My first one:

Anyone knows why Abeir-Toril has 4 seasons and 12 months like planet earth?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
skychrome Posted - 29 Jul 2009 : 00:24:23
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

anyone know why theres a 5 year gap between city of ravens and waterdeep city of splendours considering there both from the cities series.

I guess City of Splendors is some kind of late epilogue of the cities series, which was basically already "closed" for quite a while with Juwel of Turmish being the last book of the series in 2002 and City of Ravens being the first from 2001.

Probably they only wanted a Waterdeep novel and then decided to connect it to the Cities series? Speculating...
Why not ask Elaine in her thread?

-

swifty Posted - 28 Jul 2009 : 22:19:21
anyone know why theres a 5 year gap between city of ravens and waterdeep city of splendours considering there both from the cities series.
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2009 : 08:08:04
Indeed. I'd try some of the sites Wooly's recommends above.

Alternatively, I'd try a few international sites as well. I know of a few distributors over here who still have both first edition copies, as well as the more recent reprinted editions, of the "Moonshae" trilogy in stock.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jul 2009 : 07:15:17
It appears to have returned to out-of-print status.

That said, Amazon has copies (thru resellers; not thru Amazon proper). You can also try sites like nobleknight.com, alibris.com, and abebooks.com.
Darkstar Daimonizomal Posted - 26 Jul 2009 : 05:21:49
Good evening fellow scribes!

I started reading FR novels in 2006 and purchase every book I can find and read it within a week or two.

However, I can not understand why you can find Darkwalker and Darkwell (The Moonshae Trilogy) in bookstores and not the second book, Black Wizards.

It is impossible to find that book by Douglas Nyles (?).

Any insite why this is the case?

Not even Books-A-Million - a major bookstore retailer in the USA - can locate it and/or find it in their records.

I would really like to read the second novel one of these days.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

~ Darkstar

Arivia Posted - 23 Jul 2009 : 00:52:00
Just don't make the same mistake I did and conflate him with Ioulaum in LEoF.
The Sage Posted - 23 Jul 2009 : 00:46:22
Larloch doesn't have a specific level. When Ed wrote "He's probably a 46th level evil-aligned wizard right now", he didn't mean "This is Larloch's real definite level", it's a gesture to say "Larloch is extraordinarily dangerous, and in a different league from almost anyone else", just as he's portrayed in every other source.

He's meant more to be a legend than anything else; few hard facts.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jul 2009 : 20:34:21
quote:
Originally posted by TastyTulip

Hello :)

Could you tell me where can I find Larloch's 46lvl build? Forgottenwikia contains this build, but in references, links to Lords of Darkness with older version. I've searched a lot of FR books, but I haven't found it (maybe I'm blind) :/ Is it official build or just fandom creation?

Neither. Ed himself once said that Larloch was "probably" a 46th-level wizard. It's doubtful Ed has actually statted up Larloch as such; he's intended to be something more like a force of nature than something for PCs to actually tangle with. Certain NPCs like that are intended to be more behind the scenes than at the forefront, and are basically capable of whatever the DM/campaign needs them to be capable of.

Ed's words, compiled from the old Realms-L list:

quote:
Larloch is a onetime Netherese sorcerer (still possessed of a lot of Netherese scepters, which he knows how to make) who is now a quite insane "ultra-lich" (in this case, the term means he has many unknown powers which are up to you the DM, among them the fact that he can still learn and develop new spells, increase in levels, etc.). He's probably a 46th level evil-aligned wizard right now, and he crafted many of his own undead abilities prior to undeath, which argues that he found his own 'process' for achieving lichdom.

Larloch is served by many (60+ ?) liches, formerly archwizards, whom he guides in concert, as the leader of a telepathic-web 'Overmind.' Thus far, neither psionics nor mind-influencing magics have ever been effective against him or any of his servitor mages, because the others in the link can withstand and overcome such influences, causing them to fail.

In theory, an attack could reach all of them through the link, but some quite powerful Red Wizards have tried and failed (Szass Tam didn't try such an attack, which may be why he survived...he remains fearful of approaching Larloch and his mages, but fascinated by the details of their lichdom, hoping it might yield him some powers.)

One of Larloch's given-to-himself powers (which - in a long, involved, and secret, personally-developed process - cost him 10 years of life and some vitality, irrelevant of course given his goal of lichdom) is automatic spell reflection (of all magic cast upon him). He can by act of will override this ability, for example when he wants to work a spell on himself; otherwise, it always operates.

Mystra (Midnight's predecessor as the goddess) is said to have allowed Larloch to acquire powers approaching those of "old Netheril" in return for 'leaking' spells to persistent adventurers he or his minions might come into contact with, but this may be no more than rumour spread by the Zhents or Red Wizards or Dragon Cultists, designed to lure adventurers into Larloch-weakening forays...

As for Larloch knowing the identities and locations of other liches/Netherese survivors...no, only the one's he's destroyed. Larloch is too self-centered to hunt down folks who don't come within his easy reach. He controls plenty of archwizards/liches already, but may decide to try to either control or destroy a new one when they come into contact. He seems to be pursuing other goals, however. Which ones? That's up to each DM....."

Larloch and his lich minions have no interest in attracting attention that would waste their time and magical resources (and perhaps, if word got around how dangerous they were, even threaten their existence in the face of a concerted attack from various magical power groups working together). Larloch is not interested in ruling Faerun...but he IS interested in creating and controlling a series of magical gates linking many worlds (parallel Prime Material Planes) and Outer Planes...and so rigging their enchantments that anyone using them comes under his control/faces his forceful removal of their magic items, information from their mind, and so forth. The gates are easy for him to create (he licked all of those problems long ago). The control enchantments have been giving him troubles for thousands of years now, and as an obsessive perfectionist, he isn't going to let this rest until he gets everything just so...nor is he going to create the gates until he's ready to put the controls on them.

In short, he's a munchkin only if played that way. All Player Characters have to learn sometime that there are folks in the Realms just too powerful to tangle with.

I'm reminded of the original Realms campaign, and the Company of Crazed Venturers attacking Shaan the Serpent-Queen (who briefly appeared in a Wizards Three DRAGON article). She was busy working magic on a small island off Mintarn. They attacked, broke her concentration, and she looked up with an irritated frown. They bid her stop, or they'd destroy what she was working on; to demonstrate, one of the Company mages touched (and disintegrated) a stone he was standing beside.

She shook her head in derision, and touched the island beneath them, disintegrating IT, and dumping the Company into the chilly sea waves for a long swim...whilst she turned back to her spellcasting, floating on nothing and ignoring them once more.

A heavy-handed lesson, but...well, Larloch's in the same league, and more. Just consider him a power of the Realms and Don't Go There.

TastyTulip Posted - 22 Jul 2009 : 19:56:47
Hello :)

Could you tell me where can I find Larloch's 46lvl build? Forgottenwikia contains this build, but in references, links to Lords of Darkness with older version. I've searched a lot of FR books, but I haven't found it (maybe I'm blind) :/ Is it official build or just fandom creation?
edappel Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 17:28:15
Hello again..
More than 10 days without answering or questioning around here... But almost every day I read those new posts at CK, but this last weeks were too hard on work and with my son.

My next question!
I'm finishing the last trilogy that I ordered and I'm planning to buy some more books..
I've already read many topics of "which book should I read", but I always buy some anthologys to change the type of the book and to have something to read when I forget my book at work.

So, I already read "Realms of Elves", "of Dragons I", "of War" and "Halls of Stormweather".. From the other ones, which do you recommend?
(Valor, Infamy, Magic, Underdark, Arcane, Mystery, Deep, Shadow, Dragons II, The best I, II and III)

Thanks!
The Sage Posted - 25 Jun 2009 : 02:10:32
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow
[surprising point !

Well, of course they have the 4e material there (which is not very much so far), but backwards they are very inconsistent with the material. I think there is nothing listed that is older than lets say 2005 or something...
However that older stuff may be listed somewhere else on the wizard site which I feel is the prototype of a not very well structured sites. At least from time to time The Sage post links for the wizards site here where I find material that I never found on my own searching the site.

-

I learnt long ago, after my own frustrating experiences with navigating the Wizards website, that it makes more sense [and wastes less time] to have a handy file of URLs that collect together all the hard-to-access/find stuff on the site. Each and every time I come across a new link to something I may have missed during my initial extensive search through the WotC web archives, I jot it down into my notebooks for easy reference.

It's an important and crucial practice these days, and not only because of the poorly-structured nature of the Wizards website. Sometimes, during scheduled site re-constructions, areas of a particular website may be either forgotten or ignored. And, thus, lost. That's another reason why it's always good to have these older links saved.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Jun 2009 : 00:03:16
quote:

quote:
[surprising point !

Well, of course they have the 4e material there (which is not very much so far), but backwards they are very inconsistent with the material. I think there is nothing listed that is older than lets say 2005 or something...
However that older stuff may be listed somewhere else on the wizard site which I feel is the prototype of a not very well structured sites. At least from time to time The Sage post links for the wizards site here where I find material that I never found on my own searching the site.

-

Their site is poorly organized, and their search engine is useless... They've missed some opportunities, too -- they hosted the first FR novel timeline I knew of, but then never updated it after they initially posted it!

I also know for a fact that there are files on their website that no longer have links leading to them. For example, the Roll of Years was posted in 2000, I believe -- and while you can get to the file if you know the exact URL, there are no links to it anywhere on the Wizards page.

They've also reorganized a couple of times without bothering to update old links or put some sort of redirect in place for them.
skychrome Posted - 24 Jun 2009 : 23:22:14
quote:
[surprising point !

-
Fillow Posted - 24 Jun 2009 : 20:24:20
quote:

quote:
But I wonder : Why don't you directly have a look at the Products page in the Wizards website ? Is there not a truly complete list ?

From what I have seen on the Wizards site: no.

surprising point !
skychrome Posted - 24 Jun 2009 : 01:47:35
quote:
But I wonder : Why don't you directly have a look at the Products page in the Wizards website ? Is there not a truly complete list ?

From what I have seen on the Wizards site: no.
Fillow Posted - 23 Jun 2009 : 20:11:00
quote:

Thanks Fillow! In terms of FR material this site is very useful.

The link which Wooly posted shows also the D&D Core Material to which the "The Complete ...."-series belongs. Good site but it had not listed The Complete Scoundrel so I still wonder if there is any truly complete site out there which lists all Core & FR products?

Also I would be interested in a good link for all 4e material so far.

-

you're sincerely welcome.

skychrome Posted - 23 Jun 2009 : 18:56:56
quote:
and what about this page :
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Sourcebooks

Is it what you search ?

Thanks Fillow! In terms of FR material this site is very useful.

The link which Wooly posted shows also the D&D Core Material to which the "The Complete ...."-series belongs. Good site but it had not listed The Complete Scoundrel so I still wonder if there is any truly complete site out there which lists all Core & FR products?

Also I would be interested in a good link for all 4e material so far.

-
Fillow Posted - 22 Jun 2009 : 20:25:26
quote:

Short question: can anyone give me a link to a more or less complete list of FR rule books and supplements?

I just recently discovered The Complete Scoundrel which I really find amazing and suddenly realize there are certainly many modules out there I have not consciously registered yet...

Thanks!

and what about this page :
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Sourcebooks

Is it what you search ?
skychrome Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 20:32:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
It's divided up a bit betwixt the 3E stuff and the 1E and 2E stuff, and doesn't seem to include 4E at all, but this site is great: TSR Archive.

That is actually a really helpful link!

Thanks!

Edit: hmmm, Complete Scoundrel is not listed though. I wonder if there is more 3rd edition stuff that is not registered on that site...

-
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 18:33:27
quote:

Short question: can anyone give me a link to a more or less complete list of FR rule books and supplements?

I just recently discovered The Complete Scoundrel which I really find amazing and suddenly realize there are certainly many modules out there I have not consciously registered yet...

Thanks!

It's divided up a bit betwixt the 3E stuff and the 1E and 2E stuff, and doesn't seem to include 4E at all, but this site is great: TSR Archive.
skychrome Posted - 21 Jun 2009 : 18:03:40

Thanks!
BEAST Posted - 18 Jun 2009 : 17:58:36
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

I've heard that Taulmaril, The HeartSeeker is a type of archer that is most common use to elven generals. There is any lore of another one that is in use, except Catie longbow?

I've never heard RAS confirm this, but the most detailed write-up on Taulmaril, elven bows, and force weapons that I've come across was in the WOTC webpage entitled

<"The Lone Drow: Companions of the Hall">, by Thomas M. Costa.

I don't see anything about elven generals per sé in there, but it does describe how the bows are made and the stats for their usage.

(RAS features a similar type of longbow in his non-Realms "DemonWars" series of books, as well.)
The Sage Posted - 18 Jun 2009 : 00:59:16
quote:

I've heard that Taulmaril, The HeartSeeker is a type of archer that is most common use to elven generals. There is any lore of another one that is in use, except Catie longbow?

I'm not as "up" on my RAS-lore as some others. But I'd say such information could be gleaned from the various Salvatore books.

Having said that, I've can't recall any references to any other longbows of this type in the Realmslore.
edappel Posted - 17 Jun 2009 : 17:29:43
The Sage Posted - 16 Jun 2009 : 04:52:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I enjoyed those titles as well, but I liked neither one as well as the FR-based ones. Dragonlance suffered from the same issue the fiction at the time suffered from: no one could pick one cast of characters or one time frame to concentrate on. Spelljammer was good, but right when it finally started getting interesting, the DC/TSR collaboration abruptly ended.
Heh. I once entertained the possibility of exploring some of the bits left unresolved from the SPELLJAMMER comic series, in my SJ campaigns. I even wrote up some lengthy adventure-hooks in my notebooks -- based on the events from the comics. Unfortunately, they're all still in draft form, another victim of my ever-increasing ambition to start new projects before I've finished any older ones.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2009 : 03:29:38
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Another one!

Did you read FR DC Comics? Is it good?

Yes, they are. And I found the tidbits of lore often included with them to be quite useful in my FR campaigns of the time.

In fact, I'm quite the fan of the original DRAGONLANCE and SPELLJAMMER comics too. Good stuff!

I enjoyed those titles as well, but I liked neither one as well as the FR-based ones. Dragonlance suffered from the same issue the fiction at the time suffered from: no one could pick one cast of characters or one time frame to concentrate on. Spelljammer was good, but right when it finally started getting interesting, the DC/TSR collaboration abruptly ended.
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 16 Jun 2009 : 01:36:34
Heh! The comics are really good stuff, indeed.
The Sage Posted - 16 Jun 2009 : 00:52:17
quote:

Another one!

Yes, they are. And I found the tidbits of lore often included with them to be quite useful in my FR campaigns of the time.

In fact, I'm quite the fan of the original DRAGONLANCE and SPELLJAMMER comics too. Good stuff!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 21:32:13
quote:

Another one!

I am a huge fan of those old DC/TSR titles. I really enjoyed Forgotten Realms, and I loved Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. Those comics were some of the first things I replaced after the fire.
Fillow Posted - 15 Jun 2009 : 21:31:47
They already arrive in France in translated edition in next september !!

I read for some of them in original version.
I liked the way stories were summarized even if I felt the colours to be quite "violent"

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000