Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 New to D&D

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Genis Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 01:53:51
So my friends and I just now decided to for the first time try to play D and D. Any hints tips or comments? We have no idea whats going on and we just bought a starter pack thing and a dungeon thing and...other things.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Neil Bishop Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 10:09:08
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

So my friends and I just now decided to for the first time try to play D and D. Any hints tips or comments? We have no idea whats going on and we just bought a starter pack thing and a dungeon thing and...other things.

Some suggestions:

1. Try enworld.org as there are bound to be people there who will be happy to help you.
2. Try playing some of the FR computer games from the last decade or so to give you a feel for the game.
3. I'm a firm believer that the best way to learn is to participate in a live game. Try your local game store or find someone in your school who can show you how to play.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 17:34:44
I liked 2E... But I think 3.5E is the best version of D&D out there. There's still some stuff that needs to be fixed in it (like Paizo has been working on), but I think it's a much better system than anything before or after.

That said, having grown up in 2E, I still have a tendency to think 2E for D&D stuff.

And I liked 2E's magical items much more than 3E. That's the one major failing of 3E, for me: simplifying magical items. I want that wand of lightning that shoots lightning bolts and can do a shock, not the wand of lightning bolts that only does lightning bolts. And my beloved wand of misplaced objects never made it to 3E -- one of the best bits of evil fun ever given to a DM, and it was never flipped over.
Markustay Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 16:26:13
Nahhhh... I just like flipping people's comments on them (Misc and I have a special love for one another ).

I guess it really is all a matter of of taste - I found 2e an unplayable mess, and yet, obviously, others still prefer it. I suppose having FIVE different systems for Stamina in one rules set could be intepretted as 'choices'.

I did like Kits though - I kept those... every edition brought something new to the table, and I pick-and-choose what to keep and what to throw-out. I'm still picking through 4e rules for my own highly-modified version of D&D.

BTW, I'm talking RULES here, NOT FR or any other setting - 2e has everything else beat hands-down.

I think the reson why I preferred 3e over every other edition is because of the freedom it offerred me - I have always adapted stuff from other rules and other settings, and when everyone hopped aboard the 'D20 bandwagon', it was like a dream come true for me. It was able to do what GURPs tried to and never could.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 16:10:30
Good job, MT. You just restarted the 2E/3E flame war!
Jorkens Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 11:23:15
I don't know which God then,I still have nightmares about even looking at the 3ed. rules and character statistics. Even opening the books comes with an element of irritation. I would have preferred that they saved D&D as a game system instead of a trademark.

But at least there's plenty of old TSR products to choose from.
Markustay Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 02:37:24
Yup... I'd have to agree (I still have nightmares about giant-killer THACOS chasing me!).

3e was a godsend............... still is.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 28 Mar 2009 : 20:52:40
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

D&D didn't need to be saved from itself. D&D was doing quite well back then; it was a lot of poor business decisions that killed TSR.
To the extent that the rules needed to be overhauled, I'd say the game itself did need to be saved to a large degree.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 27 Mar 2009 : 23:51:25
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Magic the Gathering is correct. Where Wizards of the Coast made the bulk of their money (pre-Pokemon) so they could buy TSR and save D&D from itself.

D&D didn't need to be saved from itself. D&D was doing quite well back then; it was a lot of poor business decisions that killed TSR.

Sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean that the game needed to be saved, but that TSR's business practices did.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Mar 2009 : 22:40:23
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Magic the Gathering is correct. Where Wizards of the Coast made the bulk of their money (pre-Pokemon) so they could buy TSR and save D&D from itself.

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 27 Mar 2009 : 21:08:38

Note, I do believe Wizards saved D&D. It's not their fault that Hasbro waved a massive amount of money to buy them out without understanding the hobby.
Genis Posted - 27 Mar 2009 : 19:19:30
Tapping?....annnnnnd you guys are losing me lol
Aerik DeVallo Posted - 26 Mar 2009 : 18:24:41
Tap them, as in like, Magic The Gathering tapping? lol
Wow, didn't know that.

That's what I'm saying, Miscellany. I found that making a first level character and just leveling up as I went to be interesting, if not easy. I just took my time with it. Which was good, because we all had to take our time to make sure we were doing it right. Now I can have a first lvl character made in about 3 1/2 minutes, if I need to. lol
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 26 Mar 2009 : 13:09:00
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

Starting out (as in character building and basic play mechanics), 3E is in my opinion a much simpler system to learn than 4E.

The plethora of rules for actually running a character (healing surges, the various types of powers, etc...) are -IMO- the hard part of 4E.

True, that's the hard part. But if you get all the power cards (gotta collect 'em all!), it's much easier as you tap them to show you used them.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 26 Mar 2009 : 06:48:08
Starting out (as in character building and basic play mechanics), 3E is in my opinion a much simpler system to learn than 4E.

The plethora of rules for actually running a character (healing surges, the various types of powers, etc...) are -IMO- the hard part of 4E.
Aerik DeVallo Posted - 26 Mar 2009 : 03:27:09
lol, I agree with you, Markustay, that 4e rules are FAR easier to learn. I wasn't trying to imply that they weren't. I just figured that starting from there would give him a broader perspective of abilities and optimizations, as well as interesting character developement. I don't know. I guess showing favoritism I can't help it. lol
Markustay Posted - 26 Mar 2009 : 03:23:01
Actually, I would have to respectfully disagree Arch-Brandon - the 4e rules are simpler and less convoluted, and therefore far easier to master. He can always graduate on up to the 'Big Boy Rules' later on.

Let him get some play-time under his belt - the hardest thing to learn is what, exactly, its all about. I think the 4e rules allows someone to pick that up much faster. When he grows bored with it in a year or so, we'll be here... waiting.

I'm actually considering running a 4e game for a 7 and 10 year old - I would NEVER have attempted that with 3rd edition - HELL, I'm still try learn 3e.
Genis Posted - 25 Mar 2009 : 17:08:05
Yes Mr. Miscellany it was the keep of the shadowfell! thank you both and I'll keep it in mind next time I get stuck :D
Aerik DeVallo Posted - 19 Mar 2009 : 15:14:25
I envy the starting D&D player.
*takes a trip in the way back machine* My friend and I first discovered D&D from a Diablo II box (anyone else remember that?). It had premade characters for all the DII player classes. That's how I first fell in love with the game.

My advice is stick with 3.5. More complicated and convoluted, yes, but MUCH more rewarding in the long run. Try just reading about all the races, classes, and combat chapters in the PHB, then adventuring and campaigns in the DMG. Just take it one step at a time. If you don't, you'll end up getting frustrated and giving up on the game completely, robbing yourselves of some of the best times you'll ever have.

If you need more in depth detail or just quick answers in general, my AIM and MSN are on my profile and you can also access them from this post, at the top with the little icon thingy's. I've been playing for about 10 years and would be more than happy to place my two cents in whatever, whenever I can.
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 19 Mar 2009 : 06:30:16
quote:

Was your starter pack by any chance the H1: Keep on the Shadowfell adventure?

That's the route I went when I started 4E.

If you have any questions relating to the adventure or the mini rules booklet inside it I might be able to help you.

The only general advice I can give is: Jump Right In! H1 gets a lot more fun once get going with it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 01:52:37
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Have you thought up some good adventure ideas?

If you haven't, Kuje and I have come up with more than a few, in the Candlekeep Compendiums. Just check the link in my sig.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 01:12:16
Have you thought up some good adventure ideas?
scererar Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 01:04:06
quote:

lol i'll call it whatever I want, and that's just it, we are/were so confused thats how the questions are so not specific...you know...it's crazy...but we more or less got it now, we just need to actually sit down and read the handbook front to back, which we havent, we got lazy and just tried to do stuff with only reading bits and pieces of it...didnt work.

that is exactly it. You can get bogged down with the rules. I would try just the basics and start small and then work in to the more advanced/ convoluted stuff. regardless, just have fun with it
Genis Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 14:46:18
lol i'll call it whatever I want, and that's just it, we are/were so confused thats how the questions are so not specific...you know...it's crazy...but we more or less got it now, we just need to actually sit down and read the handbook front to back, which we havent, we got lazy and just tried to do stuff with only reading bits and pieces of it...didnt work.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 00:37:35
quote:

So my friends and I just now decided to for the first time try to play D and D. Any hints tips or comments?

Don't call it "D and D."

I could probably help you more if your questions were a bit more clear and specific...
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 20:46:42
Sorry chap!

On the bright side, check out eBay, you might be able to get the book at a great discount. Or, if you and your friends can scrounge up the money, the best bet is to get the 4E Core Rulebook Gift set from Amazon.com. It includes the PHB, DMG and Monster Manual and used copies start around $50-$60 dollars. You'd be able to do everything 4E from these three books.
Genis Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 20:09:15
Oh we JUST got the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide...not the actually handbook.....f(#*$& me...
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 20:08:13
Did you get the Player's Handbook or was it another book? The Players Handbook should have everything you need to start. If you got the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide is good to introduce you to the Realms, but you'll still need the PHB to get all the rules you need.
Genis Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 19:48:14
So yeah I tried to get that free thing of wizards and it didn't work. I bought a players guide that only gives stats and poopiedoo for like two races. this is starting to become extremely inconvenient. Anyone have any direct way to help other then sending me to websites that disapoint me like wizards? it didnt even download right and ugh. I just wanna make a character and play damnit. is that too much to ask? lol

Mod edit: Watch the language, please.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 16:15:09
And there is a great web resource for the 3E SRD at www.d20SRD.org.

For 4E, D&Di provides a Rules Compendium and Character Builder for a subscription fee (includes the virtual Dungeon and Dragon magazines and other tools). They also have some other things planned for subscribers.
Markustay Posted - 11 Mar 2009 : 16:09:18
If you were playing with 3e, we could reccomend the The Systen Referecne Document. However, that is 3e, like I said, and being that you are new we have to assume you want to start with 4e (which is probably for the best - 3e was a bit... weighty, and perhaps a bit intimidating). Unfortunately, no such reference source exists for 4e, AFAIK.

The best advice I can offer you is to go ask questions over at the Enworld boards - those guys are really helpful and they know the ins and outs of the 4e system like nobody else (even better then the folks at WotC, believe it or not).

This forum is primarily for fans of the Forgotten Realms, which is a setting, not a rules edition, and is techniaclly (as a whole) rules-neutral.

Once you get used to the game (and its great fun!), whichever rules you choose, then whomever is DMing your group will have to eventually decide on a setting. We here at the keep hope most fervently you will choose the Realms - the are glorious.

If you decide to go with the Realms, or your group needs help deciding, please feel free to come here and ask any questions you wish - the scribes of CandleKeep will be more then happy to enlighten you and your friends as to the wonders of the Forgotten Realms. It is a world rich in history and adventure.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000