Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Larloch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nicolai Withander Posted - 03 Mar 2009 : 13:55:33
I was wondering if anyone knew what lvl Larloch is. It is stated in Lords of Darkness that he is lvl 32, but seem to remember that ED once sayd somthing about him being lvl 46 or something like that.

I need the info cause I want to use him in my epic campaing, and I feel that his char. in the book is way to low.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 31 Oct 2009 : 10:20:12
Refer to my signature to see how a typical (and futile) encounter with Larloch would go. I've yet to meet a band of adventurers foolhardy enough to even think "Larloch" after referencing them to that. And like it says, there are much more pressing matters in the Realms than a grumpy old Netherese lich researching magics only a handful of people there understand. I always point out that there's an entire nation of butting-into-other-peoples-business war-mongering wizards to the east that LOVE confrontations with foolhardy adventures. I've even heard one of their leaders, a lich himself, even met the mighty Larloch. :P
Jakk Posted - 01 Sep 2009 : 04:42:20
So the Spellplague drove Larloch and his servitor liches insane? How could there possibly be a Faerun left after something like that? Oh... wait a minute...

Jakk Posted - 31 Aug 2009 : 16:42:31
Nope... I'll be placing credit where credit is due there, at least on a company level...
sfdragon Posted - 31 Aug 2009 : 03:02:29
knock yourself out.
I cant claim credit for Retcon though
Jakk Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 23:10:28
Heh. I like that... in fact, they may become actual deities in my Realms. You can never have too many deities, and I *did* just kill off Kelemvor...
sfdragon Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 09:59:22
nope
but Retcon the Great Remaker's brother god NDA the Great Knowledge With-holder knows, and he aint telling
Jakk Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 07:02:38
So... does anyone know what happened to Larloch during/after the Spellplague? Not that I would bother adhering to canon on this note anyway... just curious.
Brimstone Posted - 14 Mar 2009 : 21:53:48
-Dark and Empty!

BRIMSTONE
Markustay Posted - 14 Mar 2009 : 20:23:29
Jiksidur.

Pg. 48, GHotR
althen artren Posted - 14 Mar 2009 : 18:09:40
Scimitars sheathed, scribes:

So, I guess logically speaking that Drizzt could kick the
arse of Larloch.

This discussion is actually getting very interesting. Does anybody
remember the name of the conclave that Larloch in his former life
as an archwizard ran? I couldn't refind it in my research.
Markustay Posted - 14 Mar 2009 : 16:40:03
No... Chuck Norris would kick his arse...

Drizzt could kill Chuck Norris... Drizzt slays entire armies of Orcs just by depressing them.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Mar 2009 : 16:22:42
So I guess the only guy that could play Larloch in a movie would be Chuck Norris...
Nicolai Withander Posted - 14 Mar 2009 : 15:21:36
Larloch is the guy who knows the significence of a butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of toril. He knows what little you have to do to change the fate of Fearun. Larloch knows this and uses this. e might give a spell to somone and 500 years later that spell results in him ganing some powerful item or piece of knowlegde. Larloch is the guy who does not sleep... but waits. Larloch is the guy, when he falls into water he does not get wet... the water gets Laloched. He for some reason slepps with a night light... not that he is affraid of the dark, but because the dark is affraid of Larloch.

Thats Larloch... totally omnipotent!
Markustay Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 21:40:46
Nah, Larloch's more of a 'behind the scenes' guy. He wouldn't try to do anything so... messy. He's a long-range thinker, and he's subtle. He won't start any wars, because wars waste resources... he's kewl like that.

Larloch doesn't kill anyone or anything unless he considers it a threat, and considering who and what HE is, not too many things fall into that category.

He learned a LONG time ago that everyone can be useful - better to ave them owe you favors, then outright kill them.

You never know what they may find someday... something you could always take.
Alisttair Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 17:51:50
You know, Larloch probably pulled the strings on Cyric to murder Mystra and the whole Spellplague is really his fault...
crazedventurers Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 17:44:10
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<Meh>
I was going to just spin-it so that Khelbem the younger (who lives in Greyhawk) came back and took his Grandfather's place (I'm my own Grandpa!), but the events surrounding his death precluded that scenario as well (since Khelben already had a replacement).

Mark: I just have this feeling that you are closer to the truth than you think. It wouldn't suprise me if SES and Ed have Khelben the Younger in place for just an eventuality.

Am sure if SES gets to write another Waterdeep novel set in 1500 DR or so then Khelben wil be back :)

Cheers

Damian
Markustay Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 16:46:01
Heh...

You know, if I do decide to go with Eberron (I changed my mind every other day), that doesn't mean I can't run Undermountain - after all, they made it core.

I've been using GH modules in FR for years, so if I make the jump again, there's no reeason why I won't be using all my FR (and GH) stuff in my Eb games.

Hell, Undermountain would be perfect for Sharn's Undercity.

Come to think of it, Sharns would be perfect for beneath Sharn as well...
Portella Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 13:40:14
Same here Undermountain all the way i might play the 3 adventures the stardock, maggots castle and the lost level. hmmm. i will convert them to pathfinder beta.
Markustay Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 05:34:25
<Meh>

He just becomes another Epic threat in 4e... no big.

As for Khelben - I had to keep him around. The last campaign I ran was set in 1385, and I had Khelben be a major factor in a homebrew RSE.

I was going to just spin-it so that Khelbem the younger (who lives in Greyhawk) came back and took his Grandfather's place (I'm my own Grandpa!), but the events surrounding his death precluded that scenario as well (since Khelben already had a replacement).

I haven't ran a session since 4e hit the shelves last year, so I still don't which way I'm going to go. I might even take the plunge and go 4e if Eberron looks any good.

Still... all this talk of Larloch and Halaster and Undermountain has me jonesin' for some FR action right now.
Jakk Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 04:05:52
quote:

Oh, and I left out a part of that little snippet I posted there - Halaster was really just trying to brew a decent cup of coffee the whole time.

I love the entire scenario... and believe that it just might make Halaster's death salvageable. My break from canon officially began with the deaths of Halaster and Khelben (as well as the latter's passing was handled, I have my own plotline reasons for keeping him around), but something like what has been proposed here just might work. Besides, can you imagine Larloch with neither Mystra nor Halaster around? He'd go crazier than Halaster was... and with his kind of magical power, even with 4E rules, that's not a good kind of crazy.
Markustay Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 17:31:23
Its just not the Realms without at least one 'Shoon Clone'.

Maybe it's a clone of Manshoon that Halaster found, and used Manshoon's custom dweomer for 'updating' his clones... to place a copy of himself in the clone!

Because Halaster ISN'T manshoon, it didn't work quite right, so the clone is confused and has two different 'personas' trying to take-over. That way, we get our crazy Halaster back (he was made sane by Mystra, remember?)

Also, neither of the other factions would be aware of who he is (because he isn't really sure), so his own heirs would be trying to destroy him (thinking he's manshoon). I'd run this type of scenario on April 1st - I always do a comedy session on that date.

Of course, this could be done completely serious, but with Crazy Halaster thrown in the mix, it just looks like one of those 'Scooby Doo' chase scenes to me.

Maybe play some Benny-Hill music as well, for full effect.

Oh, and I left out a part of that little snippet I posted there - Halaster was really just trying to brew a decent cup of coffee the whole time.
Brimstone Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 14:56:52
-Wooly I like that idea.

-Sub-Level A "Citadel of the Bloody Hand". "Jhesiyra Kestellharp NG Arcanaweave [Living Spell MM3 Wish] Sorcerer 19". One of Hally's Heirs, he was using her to create more Living Spells. New monsters for the Underhalls. Hally is the Ultimate DM.

BRIMSTONE
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 14:46:01
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-I was thinking (scary huh? ) about a three way war in Undermountain. Halasters Heirs Vs Frostrune and the Twisted Rune, vs somebody else with PC's caught in the middle. The thing is the three factions are trying to collect The Shards of Halaster.

I would throw the Manshoon clone into the mix, too.
Brimstone Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 14:17:28
-I do know that a living spell is in Undermountain.

-I was thinking (scary huh? ) about a three way war in Undermountain. Halasters Heirs Vs Frostrune and the Twisted Rune, vs somebody else with PC's caught in the middle. The thing is the three factions are trying to collect The Shards of Halaster.

-I know we were talking about this on the Wizbro Forums awhile back.

BRIMSTONE
Portella Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 13:42:45
I really hope that halaster does come back. the mad wizard is greatly missed (but heay in my campaign he is not dead).
Portella Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 13:41:41
I said that Larloch, as he is looking at portals etc, would probably be interested on what halaster has done (he is able to remove items, steal spells and all sort of things with his portals) that all. it was an idea :D not canon just to clarify.
Drew Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 09:36:24
quote:

Theres your 'Living Spells' right there - they are all insane pieces of Halaster's mind, and one would have to gather them altogether -probably using some sort of artifact - before Halaster could 'come back'.

That sir is being stolen... Ive withheld living spells in the realms because they dont feel realmsie... but now you have given me a great idea to use that would fit absolutly perfect in the realms... I might have to use that part of a timeline now... I just hope the players enjoy it!
Markustay Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 07:06:02
Thanks for fielding those, Sage.

As for Larloch and Halster, I picture it going something like this.

Larloch has a spiderweb in the corner of Halaster's lab enchanted so that he can scry through it (yes, I know he shouldn't be able to, but this is LARLOCH...). Halaster is busilly mixing potions and mumbling eldritch words...

Halaster: "Anul-Nathrek... Uthvas Bithard..."

Larloch wonders what he is about - as usual, he is spending hours 'monitoring' Halaster trying to learn something, but all he has learned - as usual - is that the man's itinerary appears to be completely random. Suddenly Halaster seems focused on the reaction in the beakers....

Halster: Why, thats it! Thats precisely the reaction I've been trying to achieve! My greatest work is nearly complete..."

Suddenly VERY intersted, Larloch leans forward to have a closer look through his scry-portal.

Halaster seems to stiffen for a moment, then turns around slowly, looking straight at the corner of the room and spiderweb -

Halaster: "Ohhhh... we''ll have none of that from you, old bone bag", and he snaps his fingers and the web goes up in a puff of smoke.

Halaster was aware of him the entire time, much to Larloch's chagrin.

And thats the way I see their relationship - infuriating to Larloch, and amusing to Halaster (which merely infuriates Larloch even more).

Nothing at all based on canon - just my homebrew take on things.
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 06:05:35
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

two things... when did halaster die, and who the hell is the Sojourner?
1 -- 30 Eleint 1375. It's noted in both Expedition to Undermountain and Grand History of the Realms.

2 -- SPOILERS for the "Erevis Cale" trilogy -- Here's a little more from Paul, from May '05:-

"I'm delighted you're a Cale fan. Lots more to come on that front, starting with Midnight's Mask this November and a follow up trilogy beginning next year.

I do not intend to detail the origin of the Gith. The Sojourner (Vhostym) is a creature that I've called a githvyrik, another offshoot of the gith split. In my conception, the githvyrik numbered vastly fewer than either the githzerai or the githyanki, and while those races took to a single plane and established their societies and culture, the more powerful individualists among them at the time of the split did their own thing, travelling worlds and planes (like the Sojourner), taking up residence in the underdark, etc. In fact, calling the githvyrik a race is somewhat of a misnomer. I regard each of them as unique -- powerful and very old spellcasters, yes; derived from the same genetic stock as the other gith, yes; but otherwise quite different. For all intents and purposes, Vhostym might as well be solitary and, in fact, almost all githvyrik are.

Anyway, Vhostym has a bunch of scenes in Midnight's Mask, so if you want to more about him as an individual, you'll have plenty to read."

Brimstone Posted - 12 Mar 2009 : 03:27:05
quote:

Geeze... I wasn't trying to creat a Ruckus.

-Right.

BRIMSTONE

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000