Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 If you had an NDA-banishing genie lamp....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aysen Posted - 12 Feb 2009 : 02:07:47
...With 3 wishes, what NDAs would you wish away? (Its ok to make the same wish 3 times--some of those NDAs are so darned resilient!)

My top 3 are (at least I think these are covered by NDAs):

1.) Hesperdan - Every tidbit we get just raises more questions!

2.) Myth Adofhaer - One of the few "old-school" mythals to survive into 3.5e (not sure about 4th)

3.) Gorauna of Cormyr - Ever since reading the GHotR, my interest has been piqued about this villainess.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Menelvagor Posted - 01 Jun 2009 : 19:15:25
Well, I want Cormyr lore as much as the next person, but I also want some Myth Drannor lore:
What happened to Syrumstar Auglamyr (dead? off on some other plane? hiding in stasis?)? She was such a cool character.
WHat does the Srinshee do in general, and with the restoration mof Myth Drannor especially?
I probably have quite a few others, but that's all I can think of for now.
Jakk Posted - 19 May 2009 : 00:38:37
Quick update: My current top 3 "greater evil NDAs":

3: The thirteen five-sided red pyramids under Ascore.

2: Myth Adofaer.

1: The Cormyr lineage.

Give me all the lore on these three things, and I will be happy. So happy...

Of course, my brief answer to "which NDAs?" is "all of them"... but I know what that would do to project coordination, although I still fail to see the relevance of pre-Sellplague NDAs to the Brave New World set before us last year.
Penknight Posted - 30 Mar 2009 : 23:18:34
I think that you misunderstand me, Sage. My player is wanting to hunt it down and destroy it, not wield it. Sort of like one of the Campaign Uses listed in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. After all, wasn't Illitrin Starym the wielder of Darkmoon when Aravae was murdered? It may not have had the intelligence then that it has now, but in a way it *is* a form of justice. So I guess it's becoming a plot device after all.
The Sage Posted - 30 Mar 2009 : 00:54:15
Don't forgot the tidbits on the Darkmoon from Cloak & Dagger as well -- pg. 62.

For myself, I'd be a little weary when using the Starym Moonblade in my campaign. I'd see it more as a plot device, rather than something a PC could use.

The Darkmoon is both intelligent and possesses a significant ego -- the blade, rather than any wielder who does not share in the beliefs of the EV -- will determine its own course. In fact, it's possible that the blade itself is leading those who are not EV into a situation where the Darkmoon could be returned to the group. The Darkmoon is, in this regard, much like Sauron's Ring... in that "it wants to be found" by those to whom it belongs

However, it's your game, so you are free to do as you wish. If I were to attempt something like this, not that I would really because, like Elaine originally envisioned... moonblades are meant to aid the story and the plot... rather than a PC, I would require that the wielder spend more time "fighting" the blade for dominance than he/she would using it successfully in combat.
Penknight Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 22:17:02
Ok. I wasn't to sure if they had or not. But I figured that between yourself and Wooly, that you would be able to let me know. I think that with Volo's Guide to All Things Magical and my trusty 3.5 DMG I shouldn't have too many problems in updating it. At least, I hope not...
Kuje Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 18:30:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Speaking of which, was Darkmoon ever statted out for 3.5?

Not sure whom Darkmoon is..... so, not sure if he/she was stat'd for 3e either.

Darkmoon is one of the alternate names (along with Bladeshee) for the Starym Moonblade.

Ah. :) Then I'd have to guess that it wasn't updated for 3e. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 18:16:32
quote:

quote:

Darkmoon is one of the alternate names (along with Bladeshee) for the Starym Moonblade.
Kuje Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 17:21:29
quote:

Penknight Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 10:31:09
quote:

quote:

Oh, before I forget to ask... is he still alive in 3.5, or was he killed? Does it ever say one way or the other? I was running a campaign (back in 2nd Edition) and my player was helping to investigate her death. Also, she made quite an impression on him during gameplay. I know that his character is still around, but he's up there in age for an elf. I know that if Illitrin's still around an my player got wind of his crime somehow, that he'd love to dust off his old armathor gear and get a little revenge and also see Aravae's murderer brought to justice.

I don't believe it's ever said he died. He got away with her murder because the elves never found out that he did it, according to Lost Empires but after that, there's not much else written about him.

Actually, lookin in Cormanthyr, it looks like he might be dead.

Ok, thank you. I guess my player will have to settle for hunting down Darkmoon then. All I have to do is decide where I'm going to put it in my campaign. Speaking of which, was Darkmoon ever statted out for 3.5?
Kuje Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 06:18:17
quote:

Oh, before I forget to ask... is he still alive in 3.5, or was he killed? Does it ever say one way or the other? I was running a campaign (back in 2nd Edition) and my player was helping to investigate her death. Also, she made quite an impression on him during gameplay. I know that his character is still around, but he's up there in age for an elf. I know that if Illitrin's still around an my player got wind of his crime somehow, that he'd love to dust off his old armathor gear and get a little revenge and also see Aravae's murderer brought to justice.

I don't believe it's ever said he died. He got away with her murder because the elves never found out that he did it, according to Lost Empires but after that, there's not much else written about him.

Actually, lookin in Cormanthyr, it looks like he might be dead.
Penknight Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 06:00:26
Penknight Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 05:53:15
quote:

quote:

I'd want to get rid of the NDA about who actually killed Aravae Irithyl...

This was answered.... in Lost Empires I believe it is... or is it in the Grand History? Thought it was Lost Empires. Yup, page 130 of Lost Empires. It was Illitrin Starym that killed her.

Crap. I had no clue. Thanks for the information, Kuje. It's greatly appreciated, as always.
Kuje Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 05:31:30
quote:

I'd want to get rid of the NDA about who actually killed Aravae Irithyl...

This was answered.... in Lost Empires I believe it is... or is it in the Grand History? Thought it was Lost Empires. Yup, page 130 of Lost Empires. It was Illitrin Starym that killed her.
Penknight Posted - 29 Mar 2009 : 04:55:43
I'd want to get rid of the NDA about who actually killed Aravae Irithyl... there's so much I'd like to know about that. Like the odd stuff (can't access what it was now, not near my books) that was found in her room when her body was discovered. I know I asked Mr. Greenwood about it. I'm just hoping that he gets around to being able to answer it soon.

*crosses fingers for luck*
Jakk Posted - 10 Mar 2009 : 04:33:37
As usual, the rational answer is the dismal one. No wonder I've stopped caring about new gaming products outside of Pathfinder. Lawyers are killing the Realms for me, and not by anything they're actively doing, as Wooly has pointed out.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Mar 2009 : 18:14:46
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Later Edit: Quote from THO (quoted from a copied-and-pasted text file that had some other useful lore): "(The idea of NDAs is not to ruin the impact of forthcoming products, not to maliciously stonewall gamers wanting to fully enjoy the Realms they already play in.)"
Really? Well, then get rid of the NDAs then, because they aren't protecting lore that will be used in anything post-Sellplague, so the only reason for maintaining them is "to maliciously stonewall gamers wanting to fully enjoy the Realms they already play in."

Part of the problem is that between TSR, WotC, and the many, many authors and designers that they've had over the years -- both the ones still there and those long gone from the company -- there are prolly thousands, if not tens of thousands, of NDAs. They would likely have to hire an entire legal staff to review them, and that staff would have to work closely with the current design and fiction teams, to see what still needed to be protected. As they clearly don't have enough legal talent on hand (not a slam; insufficient lawyers is the main reason for the lack of a fansite policy), they aren't going to waste time and money doing that. As has been pointed out, leaving NDAs in place is free, quick, and easy. Reviewing them all on a case-by-case basis could take years.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 09 Mar 2009 : 04:27:30
Unfortunately Jakk, the NDA's aren't there for any gaming accessories, but for possible future novels and articles.
Jakk Posted - 09 Mar 2009 : 00:31:52
A comment: Theoretically, the purpose of NDAs is to keep things under wraps so that products can be written about them. This being the case, why are there still so many NDAs (especially regarding pre-Sellplague events and characters) when Wizbro has already released the only three 4E Realms products there will ever be? I don't care about DnDi; I'm not paying for anything that I can't look at in advance, particularly after pre-ordering 4E core. Does Wizbro simply believe in the power of knowledge unshared? That sounds very Dark-Side-like to me...

Edit: I have an answer to my own question, but we're not going to like it: 5E in 2012!

Later Edit: Quote from THO (quoted from a copied-and-pasted text file that had some other useful lore): "(The idea of NDAs is not to ruin the impact of forthcoming products, not to maliciously stonewall gamers wanting to fully enjoy the Realms they already play in.)"
Really? Well, then get rid of the NDAs then, because they aren't protecting lore that will be used in anything post-Sellplague, so the only reason for maintaining them is "to maliciously stonewall gamers wanting to fully enjoy the Realms they already play in." At least, that's my take on it, and I see no reason to change my view until I see the Cormyr lineage released for public viewing outside of D&Di. I've been trying to continue to enjoy exploring the Realms that were, but Wizbro's policy of maintaining NDAs on pre-Sellplague lore is making that very difficult. I understand that they want to sell books, but if that was their goal, then they should have thought about what they were doing to the setting. My feeling is, Wizbro should get out of the RPG industry altogether, sell the Realms IP to Paizo, and keep the novel rights to Drizzt and company as a condition of the sale; they would probably make more money that way anyway, which is all the bean-counters care about in the end.[/rant] Apologies if this post started to catch fire; if I want a flame war, I'll go and lurk on the WotC forums where it seems to be perpetually aflame.[/edit]
Marc Posted - 04 Mar 2009 : 20:03:28
agreed about the origins of gods

but for me it would be the origins of many interesting races and monsters, how they appeared, when and where
Jakk Posted - 04 Mar 2009 : 00:10:32
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

<snip> I'm not happy with the time shift, but I think it's pretty lame to say "we're now 100 years in the future, but everyone is magically still alive!"

I agree--it's a cop-out that belies what the designers have told us about wanting to get away from old characters and focus on new ones.*

*Don't take this to mean I consider moving the setting 100 years in the future to have been desirable, though.

Ranger and Rinona: It's not about new characters... it's about not having so many old characters to hog the spotlight away from Drizzt and the panther who should have stayed with Josidiah Starym.* On that note, that's a story I'd like to have told... how *did* Drizzt get Guenhwyvar? Did Josidiah trade her for the Artblade, as seems to be the most popular theory?

* - edit: That's it! It's not Toril; it's Drizztworld!

Re: Topic: I'd also like to know what became of Garnetallisar... and ditto previous requests regarding Myth Adofhaer, Gorauna, the Cormyr lineage in general, and (here's some real wishful thinking) the Dawn Cataclysm and individual divine origins in general, esp. the Dark Three's apotheosis. I have my own story in development for the last bit, but I'd like to know more about the older still-extant gods and their relationships. We know that Shar and Selune are sisters and that the original Mystra (Mystryl) was their daughter, and we know that Beshaba and Tymora are the daughters of Tyche, an interloper goddess from the ancient Greek pantheon. Beyond that, we know virtually nothing about the origins of the deities, apart from a few other interlopers like Tyr, Loviatar, Silvanus, and possibly Ilmater (depending on how direct a match he is for the Finnish Ilmatar). The Untheric and Mulhorandi (Babylonian and Egyptian) pantheons are gone (one of the few 4E changes I've adopted in my campaign, another being the elimination of Tyr; too many interloper deities).

Anyway, I digress. Again, that's Myth Adofhaer, the Cormyr lineage, and divine origins; I'm much in agreement with Aysen here. However, we'll need more than a lamp; a billion-candlepower gamma ray lamp might do the trick, but at the very least it has to be a level of light that's fatal to anything legally binding. Some would argue that's not much light at all, but I'm not going to assess that claim here.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Feb 2009 : 00:57:44
quote:

This is starting to be a common point that people bring up. It seems like half of the Realms could still be alive, but I think it would be even more pathetic if they rescued so many of the characters using life-extending magic. I'm not happy with the time shift, but I think it's pretty lame to say "we're now 100 years in the future, but everyone is magically still alive!"

I agree--it's a cop-out that belies what the designers have told us about wanting to get away from old characters and focus on new ones.*

*Don't take this to mean I consider moving the setting 100 years in the future to have been desirable, though.
The Red Walker Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 19:08:47
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Drizzt has wasted loads of time... and he still doesnt understand what is to be an elf. in 4ed he knows he learned the hard way. everyone is dead but him. he should have taken catt to a nice place lived a life with her had drizzts and catt babies and moved on after she quietly pass away on his arms, happy. grr.

Who says Catt's dead? Last thing we know in 3rd edition is that she's learning magic from Alustriel. There's plenty of life-extending magics out there...

I liked her character, but I hope she is dead.

So far in reading the novels that feature before and after the time jump, way to many characters have made the leap and are now fleshing out the 4e realms....much more of this and there will be no room for new stories!
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 18:15:53
quote:

This is starting to be a common point that people bring up. It seems like half of the Realms could still be alive, but I think it would be even more pathetic if they rescued so many of the characters using life-extending magic. I'm not happy with the time shift, but I think it's pretty lame to say "we're now 100 years in the future, but everyone is magically still alive!"

Well, that's to be expected when you put in the Campaign Setting 'seeds' to bring your 3rd Edition characters to 4th edition via wonky portals and time magic.
Portella Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 16:40:43
but yeah the potion could be corrupt by the plague, like many djinni like to corrupt people wishes the potion could make them immortal by turning them into undead.
Portella Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 16:07:45
Elminster must have enough materials to make longevity potions for everyone.
Portella Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 16:06:28
yeah wotc builds a magical arc that will keep all that are inside alive in stasis while the spell plaque ravage the realms, so when the time comes all npc are put into it. mystra is killed. the spell plague hits killing 1000s but little did they know that drizzts left the door open so catt get sucked out into the world and she left alone in the realms waiting for him to get out of stasis. 100 years go pass everyone get out of stasis to find the world changed. and drizzt sees catt skeleton and crys a shout so loud. "why! WHY! oh lord WHY!" etc...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 15:52:29
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-So...are you guys trying to say that Drizz't and Artemis should be whispering sweet nothings to one another in the wee hours of the night?

BRIMSTONE

There's prolly 15,047 fan fiction tales that feature that plot.
ranger_of_the_unicorn_run Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 15:48:16
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

Drizzt has wasted loads of time... and he still doesnt understand what is to be an elf. in 4ed he knows he learned the hard way. everyone is dead but him. he should have taken catt to a nice place lived a life with her had drizzts and catt babies and moved on after she quietly pass away on his arms, happy. grr.

Who says Catt's dead? Last thing we know in 3rd edition is that she's learning magic from Alustriel. There's plenty of life-extending magics out there...

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 15:37:33
quote:

Portella Posted - 16 Feb 2009 : 15:21:19

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000