Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Would you go to the Realms if you could?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Markustay Posted - 21 Jan 2009 : 19:10:14
Another thread - at WotC - got me thinking about this.

If a portal opened-up in front of you, and you could just step through into the Realms... would you?

Orcs, Drow, Beholders, Evil Wizards, Dragons, liches... even Dragon-liches!

Would you leave your nice, comfortable, cozy modern life behind just to see it?

I realize being able to get back is a big determining factor here, so I would also add-in that you wouldn't be able to, or at least you weren't sure if you could. You'd just step through, with NO gaurantees.

No money, no job, in the middle of nowhere (or even inside a city like Waterdeep)... how much 'fun' would an adventure be then?

Everyone here likes to talk about how much we love the Realms, but do we love it enough to actually want to live there?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 18:17:42
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

That is why I think living in the FR would be cool...but only if I could take my family with me (which I would still be scared of because of child mortality).

I can agree with you there. If I were able to take my wife and daughter along and somehow know that their well being would be OK, I think i'd love to go.

Knowing what's in store so far as living conditions and the hard work that would have to go into obtaining a healthy lifestyle there, I would take it as a personal task to not only scrape by, but do well.
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 06:15:14
quote:
Originally posted by see

quote:

Yes, but I have to mention that in OUR world it only takes a common man to push buttons.

At least in Toril it takes Gods or near gods...

No city has every been destroyed by a hydrogen bomb. How many cities were destroyed by accident by Karsus?

There are two cities in this world I can think of that have been destroyed...

As for what I was saying, in instances where a city is obliterated in the FR...it has been because of VERY powerful individuals.

Here in this world, MANY cities have been destroyed; but usually by an invader or some such...of which with our modern technology there have been MANY (World War II saw more destruction than I think the common man in Toril would imagine possible).

I dunno...just hard to compare President Obama ordering a full nuclear attack on say China...versus perhaps a Thayan Lich ordering a full magical attack on Rashemen. I'm pretty sure the results would be vastly different in terms of destruction and such.

That is why I think living in the FR would be cool...but only if I could take my family with me (which I would still be scared of because of child mortality).
The Sage Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 03:09:44
quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Miscellany

If a gate to the Realms opened up right now (say when the elevator doors part here at work)…I wouldn’t step through. My love matters too much to me to leave her behind.
A worthwhile point. And one very similar to my own, from nearly two years ago:-
quote:
If Narnra and the Lady K were with me also, then, probably. If not, and I encountered the portal alone, I'd have to say no -- unless I knew of someway to get back to Earth.
see Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 03:02:47
quote:

Yes, but I have to mention that in OUR world it only takes a common man to push buttons.

No city has every been destroyed by a hydrogen bomb. How many cities were destroyed by accident by Karsus?

See also the Helmlands, Tantras, Zhentil Keep, Tilverton, and Spellplague.
Dennis Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 02:48:24
quote:

Gods, archwizards, common man...It doesn't matter who pushes the button, because the end result is the same.
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 02:23:07

Dennis Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 01:49:02
The effects of silverfire versus shadow magic are "nukes" as well. Rifts in all layers in the Nine Hells...unleashing all the demons and archdevils to stage their endless war in the very soil of Toril.

Dragons in rage...

The Srinshee and the Simbul going crazy...

Lloth and Shar engaging in a catfight to determine who's sexier.

The list seems endless...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Jan 2011 : 01:34:41
And there's always Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke.
Dennis Posted - 05 Jan 2011 : 22:35:30
Just because they don't use the "nukes" doesn't mean they don't have them. =)

The Sojourner (and yes, Tam) came close to destroying Toril.

Shar once used hers in destroying a different world, Ephyras. And Toril would have become its next victim had Cale and the Shadovar not stopped it in time.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 05 Jan 2011 : 22:04:53
I dunno. I've never even seen the GODS do anything THAT powerful.... (Note I'm talking literal and TOTAL destruction on a hundreds-of-miles scale like true nuclear weapons of today. Not just a mild temper-tantrum that maybe changes a bit of landscape in a certain kingdom, but somehow seemingly leaves a good portion of the people and cratures more-or-less okay. THAT kind of power; although Tam's recent re-shaping of Thay seems to come close, but only created a bunch of undead....)
Dennis Posted - 05 Jan 2011 : 21:58:49
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

At least THEY don't have nukes that could blow up the entire planet.

They do...Larloch and other similarly powerful characters, and of course, when gods turn nuts...
Mr_Miscellany Posted - 05 Jan 2011 : 17:41:57
The possibility of seeing magic performed, using magic items or thrill of thrills learning to perform magic myself would be the biggest lure for me.

Another lure (which I freely admit could lead to my death) would be to set myself up as a sage or secret keeper who knows far too much for his own good about the doings of mortals and gods in the Realms. Better to apprentice myself to Volo and learn the secrets of the art of poking one’s unwelcome nose into other’s business without being slain on the spot.

If a gate to the Realms opened up right now (say when the elevator doors part here at work)…I wouldn’t step through. My love matters too much to me to leave her behind.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 05 Jan 2011 : 17:28:32
At least THEY don't have nukes that could blow up the entire planet. Something to think about.... Also, they can bring back the dead. For all out tech, we STILL do not have that ability. If you could bring a dead loved one back after some horrid accident or whatever, wouldn't you be tempted? And another plus- with magic, many of the things we take for granted are still possible, so you might not even have to loose them.
Ayrik Posted - 04 Jan 2011 : 10:29:26
quote:
Quale

... the high magic has much more potential that the technology we have.
Only if you don't understand technology.

I'd say that, given that we lack Faerûn's troublesome deities, we've managed to do a lot more with our tech than the Realms does with their magic. Sure, there's plenty of specific (and awesome) stuff Realms magic can do that we cannot - but then again we don't live on a world that gets blown up repeatedly due to the actions of so-called higher powers who act like children.
Quale Posted - 04 Jan 2011 : 09:25:07
I like the modern world, historically it's the most exciting time to live in. That's why going to the Realms would be tempting, the high magic has much more potential that the technology we have. I'd definitely go if could pick the place where the gate leads, in front of some powerful artifact that would make things easier and interesting from the start e.g. the ring of winter.
Dalor Darden Posted - 04 Jan 2011 : 07:17:01
The simple truth of the matter for me is that I don't like living in the "modern" world. Would I like to be a slave...well, in many ways I already am. I have no freedom to simply go to another country and start over in the real world...I'm a piece of property owned by my government. Sure, I can GO to another country, but I'm a "citizen" and thus have "responsibilities to my country"...

I could live without that. I love the good ol' USA, don't get me wrong...love her to pieces; but she isn't what my ideal is...

I'd be perfectly happy to be a henchman, hireling, guard or what have you...or even a village hunter. My wife and children know what it means to live like man was supposed to: with few things.

I can do without cars, modern appliances, all that...the only thing I don't know that I would like would be the heartbreak of losing a child or my wife...and that is what would keep me in this world.

I have seven children now...and if I lost half of them I'd lose my whole heart.

So I would love to live there...but wouldn't go.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 19:15:14
For me, being "alone" is not such an issue, and I hardly deal with anyone in my family as it is. The only two people I might miss would be my hubby and my mom- I'd drag her with me, but he'd probably jump in too, if not for the rather serious health issue. If the portal had a "cure disease" attached, then he'd probably join me no question. Everyone else could go sod off, far as I'm concerned. I've spent most of my life fending for myself in one way or another, so that part does not bother me at all. I'd miss the amenties- such as they are (I recently spent three months with no electricity, and before that, almost two months without running water- trust me, you get used to it...)- so it's not as great a loss for me as it might be for some. Quite frankly, I'd welcome the chance to start over in a place where one does not have to worry about driving permits, insurance, utility bills, etc ad nauseum. A simpler life actually appeals to me, as I feel trapped in the modern world, with all its many "necessities" that are really just annoying reminders of how complacent and spoiled we are as a race.

As far as family goes, not everyone in the world even WANTS to be around their family. Mine, especially, is nothing to cheer about, for the most part. Sometimes, you're just better off being alone than with your family.... And I'd probably fare better, as there would be more possibilities open than just crappy food-service jobs, at least at my age.
Ayrik Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 18:35:46
I think the last thing you want to do in Mulmaster is "catch someone's eye" with shiny and interesting trinkets.

I'm sure that with a language barrier I could only convince someone that my stuff is valuable, not my information ... fortunately D&D usually handwaves "common" as being globally consistent across the cosmos, so maybe even language won't be an issue.
Therise Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 18:18:21
If you're not going the adventurer route, and attempting to just live as a commoner, what would be the benefit of exchanging friends, family and technology for what would basically be a medieval/renaissance life of farming, wage slavery, or simple tradesman work? Life for the common Realmsian really seems like hard work. And most of us have it fairly easy by comparison.

Also, knowing what we know, we would have to choose a patron deity, or risk ending up as a "False" or "Faithless" (and then existing as a spirit until your deity dies, and many have). Then what? A possible eternity in an afterlife that would be wholly dependent on your chosen deity's ability to survive.

I mean I really just can't see myself doing that, leaving behind family and the modern age for romanticism... the romantic allure would fade after a couple days and you'd be alone - really alone - in a much harsher world for the commoner.

Alystra Illianniis Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 17:53:27
Everyone here seems to thinkthat they would have to become an adventuerer. No one ever said we HAD to. As I mentioned earleir, I would probably just join a group of eilistraeeans, or make the journey to Candlekeep or some other large gathering place of followers of Ohgma or Deneir, and just be a scribe. I could be quite happy in such a place. for one thing, it would take a lifetime (or more!) just to go through it all! And for that matter, there are plenty of dragons and other big beasties that are not especially hostile. I think it would be interesting to have a chat or three with a noble gold or silver. Who says we HAVE to go out adventuring? for me, just BEING in the REalms is all the adventure I need....
Arielis Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 16:58:00
I'm pretty sure the key to survival is bringing a bunch of trinkets from our world over. I think that if you can bring something useful/interesting/unique over with you, you can catch someone's eye.

By convincing someone that you have valuable information, then in turn you yourself become valuable. A dangerous game, but one that can at least guarantee some protection for a short amount of time.
Therise Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 16:17:40
I also absolutely love the Realms... my alternate 1E version of it, anyway. I'd hate to get stuck in an era like 4E canon Realms, that -would- be ironic.

But, I'd have to say no. Not only would I miss my family, I'd have no support system on the other side not to mention all of the things I've come to require of my day and age. Glasses, education, plumbing, potable water, easy access to a wide-variety diet, and even simple medications would all be unavailable. I wouldn't want to be a priest, knowing what we know about the gods. Magic, I could try to learn that, but I'm no elf and an indentured apprenticeship after 30 would be harsh. Learning languages, yes I could do that, but would I survive long enough to make money on a daily basis just to eat and be clean without risking common diseases until I -did- learn the language? As Diffan said... no toilet paper, daily showers, or washing machines, and "running water" would be the stream down the way.

Plus, would I -really- have the chops to go adventuring, killing things and barely surviving? I'm no candidate for the Survivor TV series (where you have an escape button), so I'm doubtful that I'd be alive for long enough to learn a language given all the monsters in the wilds and criminals in the cities. The average real life human would be an easy mark for rogues, slavers, and other riffraff.

And not only missing creature comforts and family, I would really miss my work. After training so long for something I love to do, I'd probably say no just because of that, regardless of plumbing, optometrists, and basic medicines.
Dennis Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 08:26:36
NO. I love the Realms. But there's a different world I love more, and would go to sans hesitation. And that world is...
Dalor Darden Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 08:25:47
The only thing that would hold me back is family...the only thing.

I could easily survive in the woods, or a city. Military training, a life of hunting, coming from a criminal family...all bonuses no matter where you go. Language is less of value in a world without books aplenty...people actually rarely spoke very many words at all until closer to the modern day.

If you don't believe me, simply go to where I'm from: Bland County Virginia...people don't talk much there, and when I was working on farms, life was more about gestures and knowing what to do than talking much. Even if language was needed, any human with standard intelligence can learn enough of a language in a SINGLE DAY to learn the words for water, shelter, food and safety (etc.) to be ok. Within a week the vocabulary would approach several hundred words; and by the end of a month you would have enough language mastered (just as medieval mercenary soldiers could) that you would be just fine anywhere the language was spoken. Living IN a language is different than book learning a language...which is why the Department of Homeland Security now offers college students grants to go live in other countries and study...

I'm not going to hold out any hope I could master any sort of magic, but I could damn sure easily pick up on the lay of the land and hunt...and avoid being hunted. Farming would be easy for me too...if they have cattle and horses, I'm good.

My first task would be to find a menial job as a village idiot...no joke. Lay low, find your bearings; just like ol' Uncle Sam taught me. I'm 6 feet tall and muscled, though my Little Debbie snack cakes and soda have put more weight around my middle than I need...that would quickly melt off.

After learning the language pretty solid, then I'd "graduate" from piling cow patties for the local farmer and go on to try and enlist in whatever militia/army was around. Work on the farm would have made me solid again, and I'm fair with an arrow (though I need some polishing by medieval standards I'm sure!) and even better with a blade and shield...at least enough to be considered fair enough to hire as a grunt militiaman.

From there, what else is there that pulls a man of Toril into adventure? I'd slink off with my armor and sword quickly enough when able...take a horse while I was at it with all that I could carry on it and go to a civilized place like Sembia if it was near. Lots of work there as a mercenary guard or what have you.

Eventually hook up with an adventuring party as a henchman, bug the hell out of a spellcaster to see if I had any inkling of magical talent. If so...well, its off to learning magic! If not, bugging the hell outa the warriors to help me hone my blade skills...while hunting the party food in the wilderness as Nodwick the Henchman.

Yes, I'd have to name myself something other than Anthony...most likely whatever passed for a common name; doesn't do good to stand out in the crowd in a foreign land...

Could be lots of fun...

But I wouldn't go because I love my wife and kids (all seven of them) and couldn't leave them behind.

Simply knowing magic was real though...now that would give me a great deal of comfort the next day.
Ayrik Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 08:02:30
Language isn't a big issue. Most people can get by conversationally after a few months of full immersion in a foreign language. Plus the people you speak to will try to simplify communication as well. Most of our common vocabulary wouldn't be applicable in the pseudo-medieval fantasy Realms, anyhow. At least we've all got some basic knowledge of place names and such, plus a modern outlook that most of the parochial natives would lack.

Learning a language is not hard at all if you want to make the effort. I'd be motivated by a desire to open up more opportunities for myself rather than being stuck in a "useless foreigner" role and only qualifying for menial tasks.

Although I'm sure I could survive in the wilderness (at least, until I came across my first party of orcs or whatever), I know I'd be a miserable hungry cold bastard ... finding a decent small town or village would be high priority. Adventuring classes might be glorified, but I think I'd rather just become something of a tinkersmith, alchemist, scholar, and minor spellcaster. Let some other fool go get killed by the dragon, at least after he's paid me in full for his enchanted armourwork.
Darsson Spellmaker Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 06:35:41
Although I love the Realms and have an intense hunger/yearning for a sense of wonder, magic, and adventure in real life, I would choose not to step through the portal. I could never leave my boyfriend or my family; to leave them to wonder what happened to me with pain and sorrow for their rest of their lives is more than I could bear. Plus, I know myself, and I simply do not have the stomach to do violence or kill others, even to save my own life, to say nothing of adventuring for gold/glory.
However, let's say I was so shocked by the appearance of the portal that I stumble and trip over something and fall in....
Assuming there's no language barrier, I would try to get work as a scribe for a little while, make some gold, and then apply to the clergy of the Lady Firehair as an aspirant. Love and beauty, to me, are a large part of what makes life worth living, and the fact that there's a goddess who embodies those concepts and also loves and accepts me as her priest would be too awesome for words. At least, until she reads the deeper recesses of my mind and discovers that I think Hanali Celanil is more beautiful and interesting than she is and throws me out on my ear. :D

Diffan Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 05:40:23
I can't remember if I posted earlier in this scroll or not, so I'll just go ahead:

If I were a bachelor, no wife or kids, and the opportunity presented itself for me to go to Faerun....I hope I'd be brave enough to go. As much as I enjoy reveling in the Medieval experiences of LARPing and such I think it would extreamly difficult.

For starters, we take things for granted. Stuff like toilet paper, running water, daily bathing, food to go, access and use of personal hygene material. All of that is more or less gone. To the common lay person (something I think most of us would end up being) day to day life is freakin' hard. We're talking about 10 to 12 hours of hard labor if you've no plyable skills such as working metal or wood. Or skill labor such being able to sow with speed and efficiency (without the use of an electric sowing machine). They use looms but unless you know how to properly work one...

As for myself, I think I'd enlist in whatever military there is avaialable ASAP. I'm a big guy, something like 6'3" and over 280 lbs so hopefully my bulk can be used in an effective way and I consider myself somewhat athletic so that's some bonus points that I won't be Guard #2 for the rest of my life, lol.

A big problem I forsee is the language barrier. Alystra has the right of it in that someone can pick up a language by living in that environment for a period of time. Unlike learning a language at school, experience actually teaches you how to speak it not "learning" the langauge. And I think I'd have a nice, healthy fear of magic users. If I'm unable to cast spells and the like, sure enough I'm going to highly respect people who do.
Arielis Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 05:26:17
I love this topic!

Honestly, unless I was guaranteed to have some sort of God/Mage looking out for me I'd stay back. I'd regret that decision for the rest of my life, but at least I'd have a life to spend regretting.

No matter how many humans there are in Faerun, generally they're still the dirt on most creatures shoe. We have no natural defenses. We aren't that united. And I'd show up being the girl with funny clothes. Futhermore, I'd be pretty curious as to why this opportunity arose and even more curious as to where this portal lead me. I'm pretty sure I'd contemplate suicide if I was transported to the Underdark. At least with suicide I can choose the way I go and keep my brain.

I'm pretty sure I'd really be a coward in Faerun. Or that random girl who gets killed during a warlord's 1344225th raid.

Finally. Im a clutz. The Queen of Spaz. I'd be cannon fodder in Faerun.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 03 Jan 2011 : 02:10:00
Would it be hard? Yes. Would I have to take my chances? Certainly. Would I go? HELLS YES!!!

Why? Well, for starters, being jobless would not be a problem for me- I already AM. Nothing like having no money already to make uprooting for (possibly) greener pastures appealing. I'm near-sighted and wear glasses, so that might pose a slight problem, but I', used to not being able to see crap without my specs- I'd adapt. Creature comforts? WHAT creature comforts? I've got my PC (FTM), a TV I almost never watch, an little else. I might miss my DR Pepper and chocolate, but I'd live without or introduce them to the Realms and make a mint.

Language barrier? Big deal. I've always had a knack for picking up new languages, and it's not as hard as one might think to learn one or to make oneself understood. Sign language (or just simple gestures and a few words to go with ) is pretty much understood by ANYONE. And having had to communicate with a few folks who could not speak AT ALL, I can safely say I've learned how to break that barrier well enough to get by.

Being dumped in the wilderness, might present a few problems, but again, I'd adapt. It's not as hard to find food in the woods as some assume- you just have to know what to look for, and making simple tools is pretty, well- simple. If primitive humans could discover how to do it thousands of years ago without any prior knowledge to go by, then how much more likely is it for a modern one with the accumulated knowledge of millennia to be able to? Seriously, I've seen all these arguments on how/why none of us would survive, but human beings are remarkable resourceful and adept at surviving almost anything. Sure we don't have orcs and dragons to contend with, but our ancestors had mammoths and saber-tooth cats to fend off, so it's not much different, in the end.

Do I think I could survive? Maybe. I'd probaly high-tail it to the nearest elven settlement (preferably Eilistraeean drow) and join the clergy. Or look for a wizard to apprentice myself to, given that as a Wiccan, I already have a basic understanding of magic and spell-casting. Heck, in the Realms, my own magic-skills would probably be even more "real" and useful! Might give me an edge, might not. But I'd be more than willing to take my chances in that regard.

Honestly, there's not much in this world even holing me in it. If it opened up right now, I'd have my cats right beside me, but probably leave them behind. Would have to leave my hubby, too, as he COULD NOT go (he's insulin-dependent diabetic and would be dead in a day or two if he went) And yes, I'd miss them all, but my sense of adventure and desire for knowledge makes it far too good an opportunity to pass by.
skychrome Posted - 21 Apr 2009 : 19:28:13
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
The rule (if such a topic could actually have rules) is that you are going RIGHT NOW, as-is, with whatever you're wearing and holding, with NO preparation and no time to say any goodbyes.

I was just imagining, what would happen if I had to really go right NOW (out of office) equiped only with a +2 AC tie (2 times a day Charisma +3), +1 leather shoes of smiting subordinates (+18 against non-performers, 10% chance of instant "Disintegrate"), very "useful" BlackBerry scrying devices unable to connect to the Weave and those awesome "do not even provide nightvision" contact lenses -1...

Only missing the "everyone please hit me!" sign

Nah! Would be no fun without at least some specific FR skills.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000